Fabio da Silva | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The twins had an interview recently and in it they said they only played one full game together - Valencia in the Champions League last season.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
""The action of the Uruguayan before the beginning of the match increased our force to defeat Liverpool." That's fecking poetry.:lol:
I cant believe Fabio would say that. He's quiet as a mouse. Clearly was Rafael, who at least played in the match.

He didn't! He did?
Nothing Iain Dowie says or does should surprise you. For a fully qualified Aeronautical Engineer he's one hell of a spastic.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
on a sidenote... Does anyone know how many games they've actually played together for us? I feel like the number is probably pretty low!
Off the top of my head, competitive games they've started together

08/09 FA Cup semi final v Everton (the only time they've both started at fullback)
09/10 League Cup v Barnsley (Rafael played in midfield)
09/10 CL v CSKA away (Fabio played in midfield)
10/11 FA Cup v Arsenal (both on the wing)

Can't remember who got subbed off in which match.

Laphroaig

I cant believe Fabio would say that. He's quiet as a mouse. Clearly was Rafael, who at least played in the match.

Nothing Iain Dowie says or does should surprise you. For a fully qualified Aeronautical Engineer he's one hell of a spastic.
Well, clearly it's just a poor translation from Portuguese, but... It's still poetry.

Dowie is "a fully qualified Aeronautical Engineer"?!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pleased to see him get on the pitch...the more talented twin, but injuries and Evra have really set him back.
More talented twin? No way. I actually worry about Fabio he doesn't seem to have made the progress Rafa has not just physically. He was ok today but Kightly treated him very lightly when they were 1 v 1. I think back to the Fabio who made his debut vs Spurs in the FA Cup in 2009 and wonder if he can go back to that level and, better yet, kick on from there.

prateik

Fabio was more highly rated when we signed them. He moved to LB because he could do it and it helped accommodate his brother in the youth teams.

Evra is a machine. That and his injuries have limited his chances.. Hopefully he can stay fit.. He'll get more games. Evra is going to be 31 this summer. He cant carry on playing every game.

Aint gota Kalou

More talented twin? No way. I actually worry about Fabio he doesn't seem to have made the progress Rafa has not just physically. He was ok today but Kightly treated him very lightly when they were 1 v 1. I think back to the Fabio who made his debut vs Spurs in the FA Cup in 2009 and wonder if he can go back to that level and, better yet, kick on from there.
Why look that far back? He was amazing towards the end of last season too, so much so that he started a CL Final.

I hope he gets more and more minutes, not only because Evra is fading but he's also a great talent. He's just a skinnier, slightly less mental Rafael.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Why look that far back? He was amazing towards the end of last season too, so much so that he started a CL Final.

I hope he gets more and more minutes, not only because Evra is fading but he's also a great talent. He's just a skinnier, slightly less mental Rafael.
He started the final cos Rafa got injured and he was good but not great in the run in last year. Fabio had some really good games last year like in the Cup against Arsenal but at left back can't remember a better showing than his first.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Fabio was more highly rated when we signed them. He moved to LB because he could do it and it helped accommodate his brother in the youth teams.

Evra is a machine. That and his injuries have limited his chances.. Hopefully he can stay fit.. He'll get more games. Evra is going to be 31 this summer. He cant carry on playing every game.
Did you make this up?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Fabio will come good, he has a better eye for the game as compared to Rafael and he'll catch up in terms of physique eventually. If he stays fit that is.

Neutral

BTV
Is this based on their performances in an under 17 tournament or what made you come to this conclusion
Nope watching them initially. Rafael started out so gung-ho, still is at times. But Fabio, always cooler and calmer. Rafael is the more robust, but Fabio for me read things better - but I'm not sure that's still the case.

Rafael after all has 84 1st team appearances, where as Fabio only has 53. At this stage of their careers, that's a huge amount of experience.

Widnes

Nope watching them initially. Rafael started out so gung-ho, still is at times. But Fabio, always cooler and calmer. Rafael is the more robust, but Fabio for me read things better - but I'm not sure that's still the case.

Rafael after all has 84 1st team appearances, where as Fabio only has 53. At this stage of their careers, that's a huge amount of experience.
I agree I think Fabio is the better if he can stay fit and get a run of games, in the run in last season he was fantastic at RB and one of our players who deserved credit from the CL final, I think he just seems a little more comfortable than Rafael in defence and with the ball at his feet some of the runs he makes with the ball from deep positions are so exciting.

This is not to say I don't think Rafael is a fantastic prospect because he is great if they can both stay fit then next season I would be happy to see them both as our regular full backs, one way I would suggest giving Fabio more game is is trying him down the left flank in places of Park when we got injuries to our wingers.

The Neviller

Did you make this up?
I thought it was pretty much a given when they both came that Fabio was the slightly higher rated of the two?

As far as Fabio moving to accommodate Rafa in the youth team, I don't think that's true, I heard it myself but think it was rumour. In an interview before the Champions League final they talked about their respective positions, Rafa started playing right back because as a central midfielder in the youth teams there was a shadow over the right side of the pitch and he started running in there because it was cooler, so the manager picked him there permanently. Fabio moved from being a striker to playing left back because the starting left back was dropped because of forged documentation.

Widnes

He started the final cos Rafa got injured and he was good but not great in the run in last year. Fabio had some really good games last year like in the Cup against Arsenal but at left back can't remember a better showing than his first.
Rafael i think had been fit for a while by that point, Fabio had took control of the Jersey at that point and made the CL final on merit.

prateik

Fabio is 2 stone lighter than Rafael. It shows at times, but I have no worries about him at all. Just last season he forced himself ahead of Rafael in the pecking order and even played Barca if I remember right.
Really?
13kgs is a lot.. even more considering they are tiny.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
https://www.redcafe.net/f6/statistics-2011-12-a-337003/

Code:
[U]Appearances[/U]

| [B] Total[/B]  |   PL   |   CL   |   EL   |   FA   |   LC   |   CS   |
| ------- | ------ | ------ | ------ | ------ | ------ | ------ |
|  [B]12(3)[/B]  |   2(3) |   5    |   2    |   -    |   3    |   -    |

[U]Minutes[/U]

| [B] Total[/B]  |   PL   |   CL   |   EL   |   FA   |   LC   |   CS   |
| ------- | ------ | ------ | ------ | ------ | ------ | ------ |
|  [B]1039[/B]   |   247  |   395  |   180  |   -    |   217  |   -    |

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I've always been a big fan of the twins. I actually think Fabio's long term prospects at United are a little better than Rafael's simply because he is the natural heir to Evra. On the other side, I think Rafael is going to have a big battle with Phil Jones for the right back slot.

Some people might raise an eye brow at this but with Ferdinand having the potential to go on for another couple of years, Vidic back at the end of the season, Evans developing into a first choice star and Smalling's presence; I think Jones is going to find it very hard to nail down a starting CB spot any time in the next 3 years. It's hard to predict of course but I think Evans-Smalling will be our long term pairing at the back. I wouldn't therefore be surprised to see Jones take up the RB spot permanently. I see a lot of comparisons with Sergio Ramos in regards to the size and athelticism of both, as well as the ability to get forward effectively.

Another possible development route for Fabio is as a wide midfielder. With both Giggs and Park nearing the end of their careers, it wouldn't be inconceivable to see Fabio develop into that industrious wide midfielder that Ferguson likes to use as part of his rotation. He has enough technique to his game to pull that transition off. He wouldn't be first choice in that role, but Park rarely was either. Nevertheless, he was a very useful tactical option. I can see Fabio doing the same thing eventually.

Longlivekeano

Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Branco, jorginho were nowhere when they were 20 yrs old. Even Marcelo was heavily criticized as a teenager. Bit these fullbacks talent become prominent only in mid 20s. Refer also to Gary neville, Denis Irwin. The fullbacks will be with us for a long time

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Doesn't look good to qualify for a medal if things continue going to plan. Only 5 league appearances when he needs 10 for an automatic medal, today seemed a good one for him to be subbed on with that in mind.

Amir

today seemed a good one for him to be subbed on with that in mind.
I really hate that thought...

The focus should be 100% on winning the title, and that includes selecting the bench. If we have to make an effort to get someone five appreances in the last seven games, maybe he just doesn't deserve a medal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The PL's rule about playing 10 games to gain the medal is a bit ridiculous tbh.It can lead to a situation like Keown for Arsenal in their unbeaten season.He was given 2-3 minutes here and there at the end of the season for him to be eligible to gain the medal.
The entire team should be given one,if you play at least one game in a 38 match long season, you still have contributed

Will Absolute

The PL's rule about playing 10 games to gain the medal is a bit ridiculous tbh.It can lead to a situation like Keown for Arsenal in their unbeaten season.He was given 2-3 minutes here and there at the end of the season for him to be eligible to gain the medal.
The entire team should be given one,if you play at least one game in a 38 match long season, you still have contributed
Particularly with limited squad sizes. It wouldn't make much difference to the number of medals given out and save a lot of hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.