FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The biggest mistakes are being made when you‘re at the top. A shame we didn’t manage to become the exception to this rule. This decline was so obvious and yet everybody refused to see it coming.

iKnowNothing

So who now would replace Carlo? Who would the Bayern fans prefer?

Posted this in two different threads, not sure which one's the right one for this post.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

Posted this in two different threads, not sure which one's the right one for this post.
Nagelsmann. The guy could become the face of the club for many years.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Feel sorry for Arsenal most of all in all of this, the one season they probably wouldn't have minded meeting them in the Champions League...

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
At this point in time, I feel Tuchel is the best and obvious choice.

1. He is available
2. He is Bavarian
3. His record suggests he is a highly capable and interesting coach who improves players and produces attractive football
4. Also in terms of results, he did a very good job at BVB

I was of the opinion that Carlo was the best choice to succeed Pep in large part because I thought he'd be the kind of calm, yet big name authoritative figure to navigate a loss of steam after Peep, and I thought that getting a young talent, or smaller name coach after Pep would have been dangerous as he might have been dragged down by forces out of his control.
Pep is a star after all, and so is Ancelotti.

That was only half right. The trouble with the loss of steam was there, but Ancelotti could only navigate it in part. But let's not forget last season was somewhat decent, after all. Still think it was the right decision at the time.

Now, we are a step further. Apparently, if the reports are to be believed, the players are ready again for a bit more intense, demanding, and maybe annoying coaching and training.

Tuchel might not be a long term solution, if we take his record of personal animosities serious. But we don't necessarily need a long term solution. We can hope Nagelsmann can become a long term solution, but he's still too green to take over now.
If Tuchel falls out with the wrong people, or flops too hard, he's fired, and we move on. There's not much damage he can do, but the upside is huge.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
First sacking of his career. He still a great manager though. I would welcome him here with open arms.

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
The biggest mistakes are being made when you‘re at the top. A shame we didn’t manage to become the exception to this rule. This decline was so obvious and yet everybody refused to see it coming.
We need a manager who focuses on possession football (Tuchel maybe?) and need to sign 1-2 holding midfielders instead of more B2B's (Goretzka?).

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm not sure to understand the point of view of Bayern fans.

What is the issue #1: the players or the tactical system?

SirMattBugsby

Players for me. Ancelotti employed wrong tactics a lot of times, but even when his tactics were right, the players didn't implement it well. They stopped believing in him tbh.

Ancelotti spoiled all the team work and intensity that was characteristic of present Bayern. Every player was doing his own thing. This is the sort of approach that might work for Real Galacticos but it was clearly hurting them.

Tactics could have been modified, but it's the players who made the situation untenable.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

What do you mean with 'players being an issue': The personell available in terms of profile/quality or the squad's attitude under Ancelotti?

Javi

Not when you watched the whole mess for more than a year.

At the end he lost the most important players of the dressing room.
What is the tumour of the name of these players? Ribery, Robben judging by body language. Maybe Müller, although given his performances he's not really important atm.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Thanks. A nostalgic :D
I am not nostalgic and would happily replace any of those players, if we had someone better. We just don't.
I'd also fancy different tactics/lineup's but they have to work. Ancelotti's 433 was/is horrible. Pep used differ tactics and it worked more often than not. That's great.
Any Bayern fan I know complained about this 433. It was so obvious that it's not working, while the old system still did. Yet carlo always went back. The lineup against psg was as close to a "sack me please" message as it gets. He must have fallen out with all the senior players.

Varun

Staff
Funny how quickly Bayern fecked him off given the nonsense they spouted re us and Schweinsteiger.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Funny how quickly Bayern fecked him off given the nonsense they spouted re us and Schweinsteiger.
Right, we should let him stew on the stands for a while, then have him train our amateurs.

Djemba-Djemba

Sure was. Still a ridiculous thing to bring up in this context.
I agree.

I think it's harsh to sack Ancelotti, but I don't really know the ins and outs and all the Bayern fans seem delighted he's gone which tells you everything you need to know. Clearly it wasn't working.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think it's harsh to sack Ancelotti, but I don't really know the ins and outs and all the Bayern fans seem delighted he's gone which tells you everything you need to know. Clearly it wasn't working.
Delighted is too strong... but relieved. I could be delighted if the replacement was clear (and named Pep).

Varun

Staff
I personally don't think that those two incidents are comparable or similar. This is a clean cut after a growing discontent where the management still backed Ancelotti but decided to stop the journey right here. I don't see anything humiliating (does Ancelotti from now on train the youngsters?) or anything that's different from other coaches getting sacked. It's pretty obvious why those comments back in the days hurt many Man Utd supporters; it's because there lies quite a bit of truth in them. It seems a little small minded to come up with this stuff after a normal sacking.
I wasn't drawing a parallel in terms of the situations being exactly similar, ofcourse they aren't. I was merely highlighting that clubs will always do what's best for them and the furore coming from Bayern back then over something that had nothing to do with them was ridiculous. You've just sacked one of the most highly regarded and respected managers in the world in September. I doubt Ancelotti is a happy bunny but it doesn't matter to you as that's what you feel the club needs and rightly so. Similarly, Mourinho did what he thought was needed with Schweinsteiger, Bayern should have kept mum instead of harping on about the treatment of a legend/respected player etc.

Varun

Staff
Of course the management has to do what's best for the club. But at any cost, not caring about moral and ethical lines? I don't say that Man Utd back in the days crossed those lines, but you seem to support the approach that only values the outcome, no matter what it costs. I disagree. While I think they shouldn't have said something as harsh about the Schweinsteiger incident as they have, I still feel like it was correct.
Btw, it does matter to me that Ancelotti is unhappy, I would have loved for it to work out, but it didn't. And I sincerely hope Ancelotti finds a new club where he succeeds and that this sacking doesn't have too big of an impact on his carreer.
It's easy to say that his happiness matters to you while still supporting the decision to sack him, no? It only really means something if that matters enough to alter the decision being taken which I doubt is the case and understandably so.

Since you ask, no, I don't believe the outcome is the only thing that matters regardless of the cost but a) It is an outcome driven industry and b) No line was crossed as you said

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
https://thesetpieces.com/features/go-wrong-carlo-ancelotti-bayern-munich/

Ancelotti’s problem is that Bayern Munich pride themselves on being different to most clubs. That 13 points from six games represents their worst start to a Bundesliga season in seven years. There have been bigger problems brewing than the points tally in the Bundesliga, though.

“Ancelotti had five players against him,” said club president Uli Hoeness after his sacking. “That wasn’t sustainable. I’ve learned a saying in my life – the enemy in your bed is the most dangerous. Therefore we had to act.”

The players in question, according to German broadcaster Sport1, were Mats Hummels, Thomas Müller, Franck Ribéry, Jerome Boateng and Arjen Robben.

It is worth mentioning that Hoeness didn’t reveal the identities of the players himself, but it does line up with a few things. For instance, having been 2-0 up at home to Wolfsburg on Friday night, Bayern went on to draw 2-2 – the first time in nine years they have failed to win a Bundesliga home game having held a 2-0 lead. Hummels pondered publicly after the game whether the team had been given the right tactics.

Next is Müller. After he was left on the bench against Werder Bremen in August, the forward noted: “I don’t know exactly which qualities the coach wants to see, but mine seem not to be 100 percent required.”

When Ribéry was substituted against Anderlecht earlier this month in the Champions League, he tore off his shirt and threw it against the bench.

Then you have Boateng, who didn’t even make the squad to face PSG despite being told he would be on the bench, according to Sport1.

Robben was asked whether the team was behind the coach after the defeat in Paris. “I don’t want to answer this question,” he said. “What’s important is that we stick together. Anyone who is unhappy and openly expresses that, shames the team. We have to stick together.”

Happiness evidently was not abounding and Ancelotti’s lack of communication also contributed to his downfall, as Die Welt’s Julien Wolff explained.

“Ancelotti made mistakes and did not justify his reputation as a man who can perfectly lead a group of stars,” wrote Wolff. “At critical moments with important players like Ribery, Robben and Hummels, he spoke little or not at all.”

The communication issues might have been surmountable had the displays on the pitch not been so dire. “Our team’s performances since the start of the season have not met our expectations,” said Rummenigge in the club’s statement to announce Ancelotti’s departure on Thursday.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Uil Hoeness has to be one of the most unbearable directors I've seen. Most of them there are insufferable but to publically admit that your players undermind your manager is something.
Never seen a club where the directors talk as much as these lot. They have something to say literally every week. Must be tasking, working for him and Rumminigge.
It is why they are nicknamed "FC Hollywood".

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Uil Hoeness has to be one of the most unbearable directors I've seen. Most of them there are insufferable but to publically admit that your players undermind your manager is something.
Never seen a club where the directors talk as much as these lot. They have something to say literally every week. Must be tasking, working for him and Rumminigge.
If he lost the dressing room (and that was obvious by his erratic behaviour in recent weeks) he needs to go. Simple as that. I don't really get why it's bad saying that. It's actually better than letting 1000 rumours floating around.

I also have to say that Pep and Ancelotti pretty much came to Bayern in the wrong order. When we didn't need a rebuild and had a pretty much perfect squad, we got Pep who tried to change too many things and failed. When we entered a rebuild phase and could use someone like Pep, we got Ancelotti who would have been perfect to just manage the squad after the 2013 win.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I wasn't drawing a parallel in terms of the situations being exactly similar, ofcourse they aren't. I was merely highlighting that clubs will always do what's best for them and the furore coming from Bayern back then over something that had nothing to do with them was ridiculous. You've just sacked one of the most highly regarded and respected managers in the world in September. I doubt Ancelotti is a happy bunny but it doesn't matter to you as that's what you feel the club needs and rightly so. Similarly, Mourinho did what he thought was needed with Schweinsteiger, Bayern should have kept mum instead of harping on about the treatment of a legend/respected player etc.
TIL Ancelotti has been thrown out of the training ground and manages our u23 now.

Unmutual

If he lost the dressing room (and that was obvious by his erratic behaviour in recent weeks) he needs to go. Simple as that. I don't really get why it's bad saying that. It's actually better than letting 1000 rumours floating around.
Publicly admitting your players forced out a manager just empowers them to do it again in the future.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Publicly admitting your players forced out a manager just empowers them to do it again in the future.
Yeah really that is FC Hollywood at ist finest. Would be good for them to get someone like Tuchel who brings those arrogant prima ballerinas like Ribery, Müller, Robben etc. back down to earth. Or even better for them out of the Club for a fresh start.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I also have to say that Pep and Ancelotti pretty much came to Bayern in the wrong order. When we didn't need a rebuild and had a pretty much perfect squad, we got Pep who tried to change too many things and failed. When we entered a rebuild phase and could use someone like Pep, we got Ancelotti who would have been perfect to just manage the squad after the 2013 win.
Of course he lost the dressing room. But he doesn't need to say it. What he's said hasn't quelled speculation and rumours. It's now about who the 5 are.
I've never heard a club admitting the players wanted the manager gone.
He didn't need to say anything.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Tuchel at Bayern would be interesting.