Gaming Fifa 10

Doevle

Is it just me, or has the graphics been slightly sharpened? The kits look a little better, and so does the ball and the faces, especially Riera's.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah it's definitley improved. If theres one game you can't judge by screenshots though it's FIFA. However in the gameplay vids I've seen it looks much better than last year, and the crowd has improved drastically as well. They even change clothes to reflect the weather and react better to goals, cards, fouls, etc...

Doevle

Yeah it's definitley improved. If theres one game you can't judge by screenshots though it's FIFA. However in the gameplay vids I've seen it looks much better than last year, and the crowd has improved drastically as well. They even change clothes to reflect the weather and react better to goals, cards, fouls, etc...
Nice:D

Domino

Are we going to play with an air floater like last year?

Shooting was atrocious

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The tackling and player physics in FIFA 09 were ridiculously poor. I hope they've fixed that.

Shooting was atrocious
Nothing like over exaggerating eh?

Fifa09 was the best football sim ever made, shooting and tackling were not perfect (nor will it ever be) but it certainly wasn't "ridiculously poor" and "atrocious".

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
IMHO, Fifa took over with the last year's version, so i will go for the Fifa again this year
The last 2 Fifa's have been better than PES but Fifa09 was light years ahead of the last PES. Konami have gotten really really slack.

It's little things that let them down as well as the big things too, like releasing the game after the transfer window shut but not updating the transfers.

Shoddy stuff really.

Woodzy

Shooting was atrocious
Fifa 09 was fantastic, but this was one of the weak points of it. You'll be glad to know the shooting and floaty ball are a couple of the many improvements that have reportedly been made.

This is a quote i read on another forum from a reviewer that has played the game.

"As good as FIFA 08 and 09 were, they didnt contain that "bit of magic" for lack of a better term. 09 in terms of features and tech had everything, but for me it always felt too difficult to get past players and hold on the ball. The controls weren't as responsive as I wanted, which was more a design decision from the designers than anything else.

This has been noticeably tightened up and with the improved shooting mechanics (ball feels heavier, trajectories more realistic), the gameplay just feels fecking great the moment you start a match. I cannot wait to play this game online."

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Nothing like over exaggerating eh?

Fifa09 was the best football sim ever made, shooting and tackling were not perfect (nor will it ever be) but it certainly wasn't "ridiculously poor" and "atrocious".
It was ridiculously poor though. Half the time you play the man and there's no foul, and when you play the ball you're called back. And the player physics were retarded - ever try and beat someone and run into them in real life? They certainly don't stand there unaffected while you sprawl to the ground as if you've hit a brick wall, I can tell you that.

Biscuit1871

In fairness i don't think anyone can answer that. Save your judgement until the games are released or at least until the demo is out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah the shooting is much improved this year round I hear. The ball doesn't float all th time and you can get some real speed and power behind your shots.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Fifa really upped the ante last year and the animations and player physics are spot on. But I really can't play the game for longer than half an hour before the ridiculous ball physics just get too irritating. It's like playing with a balloon.

That's something PES has always had over Fifa.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
The player physics are awful. Two examples from a match I just played

1. Nani receives the ball and runs up the field. Diaby steps into his path to challenge for the ball. Nani runs into Diaby and is sent sprawling the the ground. Diaby doesn't react at all, despite having a flying ball of bone and muscle run into him at a high speed.

2. Arsenal corner falls to Van Persie unmarked in the box. I press the pressure and 2nd player button to bring Vidic and Ferdinand in for the challenge, along with O Shea standing next to him. I also press keeper charge. Van Der Sar runs out and goes to ground to get the ball, and in the process takes out FOUR players (O Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand, Van Persie) who all fall to the ground and Van Der Sar slides through them unaffected as if 8 legs weren't in his way.

Christofaux

1. Nani receives the ball and runs up the field. Diaby steps into his path to challenge for the ball. Nani runs into Diaby and is sent sprawling the the ground. Diaby doesn't react at all, despite having a flying ball of bone and muscle run into him at a high speed.

2. Arsenal corner falls to Van Persie unmarked in the box. I press the pressure and 2nd player button to bring Vidic and Ferdinand in for the challenge, along with O Shea standing next to him. I also press keeper charge. Van Der Sar runs out and goes to ground to get the ball, and in the process takes out FOUR players (O Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand, Van Persie) who all fall to the ground and Van Der Sar slides through them unaffected as if 8 legs weren't in his way.
The game has become rediculously easy, i wish you would get penaltys for tricking the keeper and the keeper takes you out, it happened once, when the keeper tried to come trhough me from behind, pure luck. Other times i step over and move the ball around the keeper for the keeper to trip me over an nothing. My biggest gripe with the game.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
It's far too easy to score top of the bag screamers in FIFA - drains all the fun from the game.

Hold RT (R2) whilst shooting and any half-decent striker will curl it (often outside of the foot) into the top bag. It's ridiculous.

Thought it was great at first but it wears very thin when you're doing it every game. The ball behaves like a perfectly aimed frisbee most of the time.

Things like this were part of the reason I stopped playing it after a few months, despite being impressed early on, whereas I used to play football games from release date until the next title.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's far too easy to score top of the bag screamers in FIFA - drains all the fun from the game.

Hold RT (R2) whilst shooting and any half-decent striker will curl it (often outside of the foot) into the top bag. It's ridiculous.

Thought it was great at first but it wears very thin when you're doing it every game. The ball behaves like a perfectly aimed frisbee most of the time.

Things like this were part of the reason I stopped playing it after a few months, despite being impressed early on, whereas I used to play football games from release date until the next title.
It's odd. I used to be a big PES fan earlier until their respective last two editions. But i still find the comparison strange. Fifa has so much going for it and is better in most ways ATM. Except that PES still seems less choreographed. I don't know why but that's how it feels. I feel there are more possiblities to the play when i play PES. There are more ways to beat an oppositing player, more skill and timing involved in that rather than just pace. Yet Fifa is clearly, right now, the better game.

For example, in PES you can use your body brilliantly. You actually have to use it all the time to get infront of the a defender/ the wrong side of the defender and you draw so many fouls with just intelligent play. That doesn't happen much in Fifa. In Fifa it's more simple - ping it around until you get an opening to get a shot on goal.

Anyhoo i'm ramlbing. Just saying that while Fifa is the better game it still does come up short in a lot of aspects.

Jacob

It's gonna be off the hook, will be hooked for months.

Edit: no pun intended.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The game has become rediculously easy, i wish you would get penaltys for tricking the keeper and the keeper takes you out, it happened once, when the keeper tried to come trhough me from behind, pure luck. Other times i step over and move the ball around the keeper for the keeper to trip me over an nothing. My biggest gripe with the game.
This also drives me mad, the number of times I have had the keeper come sliding out from ridiculous positions and go right through me to the ball and I've never once won a penalty.

I_live_cement

Cat freak

Yeah well you can find flaws about every game but on the whole EA did a good job. As more of a pro Evo player (well actually I play both) I noticed that Fifa looks much better in regards to player movements and collisions etc. Konami have a lot to improve in that respect.