Gaming Football Manager 2019

Boycott

So Chelsea have beaten me to the league title in Ernesto Valverde's first season but he's now quit to take the England job :houllier:

Some of the managerial ai switches are beyond stupid. Curtis Davies had Aston Villa top of the Championship by March but he left to take the Newcastle job. They were 20th and cut adrift by about 11 points. In real life such a move would be idiotic.

Hephaestus

First unbeaten season for me that I can remember, fecking delighted. Was way too nerve-wracking, had a couple games where we got late equalisers, usually involving one of my players doing something absurd. Most ridiculous one was gainst Udinese we scored in the fourth minute of stoppage time, Vinicius Jr tried to shoot through about four people and the ball hit the young kid I'd thrown on for a Macheda moment then fell to Andre Silva who smashed it in. Would have fecking lost it if I conceded like that.

Finished with with 30 wins and 8 draws (98 points), 83 goals scored and 16 conceded. Donnarumma kept 26 clean sheets with 13 in a row to end the season but the most remarkable stat is that Franck Kessie won the league's golden boot with 22 goals, playing as a box-to-box midfielder. Most of them were fecking thunderbolts from the edge of the area, one game where he scored a perfect hattrick yet I let him take one penalty all season and he missed it.

Minkaro

Started a new United game, because I can't commit to anything. This time I'm doing a DOF game - so he makes all the signings and I try to deal with his lunacy. I deactivated transfers for the first window, but in January he did this:

Kieran Tierney from Celtic for £47.5m (I thought RB was the problem area, but OK. Shaw's done fine, but Tierney looks very good ).

Johannes Eggestein from Werder for £1.4m (promptly loaned out to Wigan)

Hirving Lozano from PSV for £24.5m (the assistant report on him in great. He'll probably be our first choice right winger, although Chong has been excellent)

Toby Alderweireld from Tottenham for £25m (instantly our first choice CB).

That's actually not terrible. I'll probably look at moving on Rojo, Young and Valencia in the summer. Maybe Lingard if I get a big offer for him. Darmian's done really well as a back-up fullback though, so I want to keep hold of him.

I'm only starting Feb now, so I can't really comment on how the new signings are doing. I'll be looking at lining up like this as a first choice though:

De Gea
Dalot Alderweireld Smalling Tierney
McTominay Herrera
Lozano Pogba Martial
Lukaku
Although I might shift Martial up front, Lozano left, and have Chong on the right.

Hughes35

Is this good on FM touch? I only have a works laptop so can't play the PC version. Not played since 2015 but looking to get back into it.

The United

Can someone tell me where I can buy this cheap for US region?

I have been on goggle and couldn't find any.

fergosaurus

Just for the touch version for the switch to mess about with on the handheld. I haven't played in years so am out of touch.

I started a career with United and don't know whether I should upgrade scouts etc. I have a director of football working above me and don't know if he's going to get in the way. Can I sack him or is he beneficial to keep?

Any basic newbie tips welcome!

Woodzy

Think the end of season has given me the urge to play this. Somehow managed to scrape through the first window on £60m and get all this. Tried the various trickery to get as much as I could in, but in the end had to get Sancho on loan and create a mandatory future fee of £80m to get that one through. Out of interest, what affect does the future fee have on the transfer budget?

Last edited:

Woodzy

feck me, look at this for a title race! Mine to lose?

Edit: My other games are Palace away and Chelsea at home. Not so confident now.

Last edited:

SoCross

Playing FM 2018 on demo version. Is 2019 far better or?

Some opinions please.

Not quite sure I like 2018, seems a bit clunky..

Flying Fox

Did what I do every year and picked up a save with Athletic

Finished 5th in 1st season, bottled the race for 4th

Got done on penalties in the Cup by Atletico.

Woodzy

And there it is :D Excellent title race and finish to the season.

Last edited:

Woodzy

Not even my best regen but I absolutely love that name :lol:. Signed him solely on the basis that there was a huge list of big clubs on his wanted list, didn't even scout him!

First team is now at a point where I can comfortably poach regens every summer without having to worry about bringing players for the first team.

Woodzy

Doing some harvesting of youth players... which is better when the scout recommends a 'quality' and a 'superb' signing?

I usually just sign based on potential stars but they always drop lower than expected so i'm wondering if I actually take note of the scouts feedback instead...

paulscholes18

April 2nd season
1st XI
DDG
Meunier De Ligt Lindelof Tierney
Rice
Rabiot Pogba
Chiesa Werner Sancho

2nd XI
Romero
Dalot Bailly Tuanzebe Shaw
Mat Fernandes
Bentaleb Ndombele
Lozano Rashford Martial

Others
Fred
Barbosa
Greenwood

In the summer I will sell a few players to give minutes to Chong, Gomes, Garner

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If one of my defenders heads it straight to an opposition player when under zero pressure one more fecking time I'm going to uninstall this game.

No Love

I've started a new save with United. Time to clear out the dead wood. I've a feeling I'm going to regret this.
If you can keep everyone happy and in-and-around the first team for the entire first season, you can have such a mega clearout heading into the second. The AI come in with huge bids for Jones and Lingard, in my experience.

Art Vandelay

If you can keep everyone happy and in-and-around the first team for the entire first season, you can have such a mega clearout heading into the second. The AI come in with huge bids for Jones and Lingard, in my experience.
I think I managed that last time. I've already transfer listed Bailly and Darmian. I'm tempted to put Martial on there too. Trying to get in De Ligt, Tierney and then see what I can afford in midfield and the wings. Shifting Martial would help massively.

I forgot how much work goes on at the start. I also assumed I'd start with Phelan as my assistant, but no, I've to go find one.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Took over United since they hadn't won the league after like 7 years into my save. 4 seasons in now and the Glazers just sold the club to.. Mike Ashley. :lol:

Art Vandelay

I got my first two signings over the line on the same day. Rice and Tierney. I've offered contracts to De Ligt and Tonali. If I get those over the line then I'll be happy with my defence.

So far I can't shift Rojo, Bailly, Martial or Mata. The only player I've had any bids for is Darmian. If I could get rid of those 4 then I'd go in for Felix and Chiesa and another midfielder if I could afford it. I'd sell Matic too if I can get Tonali signed I suppose, but he's out for months at the start of the game so not exactly hopeful.

Art Vandelay

I've rage quit already. Darmian keeps turning down contracts, no one will even bid for any of my other players which is annoying.

However the real reason I snapped was I agreed a fee for De Ligt, offered him £110k a week with bonuses for clean sheets, appearances and wins. The usual. I refused yearly wage rise and CL winning bonus. Also promised him we'd win the league by the 19/20 season and give him his preferred position and role. All good. Liverpool and Real Madrid then bid for him at last minute, he chooses Liverpool. I just can't live with that and turn it off. So I reload it and go back in to his contract offer, bump his wages up to £150k a week as he's a key player anyway. Figure that should sort it. No, same again. I look at his Liverpool contract, £60k a week before deductions and he's a back up option. What's the fecking point? I turned it off again.

Jonno

As I used to be an old school Champ Man player when I was growing up, I’ve grown to love the FM Touch versions as they have similar depth. I don’t want to spend an hour a day designing training programmes etc.

So I have FM Touch 2019 on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro, absolutely love it. It’s snappy, its spacious and I can play on the go.

Art Vandelay

I reloaded and De Ligt signed for me this time. I signed him, Rice, Tonali, Chiesa and Tierney. Which has left me with no funds left to spend as I'm struggling to move players. I basically sold Darmian and Bailly at half price. No one will bid for Martial, Mata, Young, Rojo, Fred or Matic. At best I get loan offers for Martial.

I'd prefer to add another versatile forward, but I'm happy enough at the minute. First team is fine it just lacks depth. If I could move one of those players on before the start of the season I'd bring in another young forward and call it a day.

Art Vandelay

I now remember why I got fed up with this. Player valued at £41.5m, I put him on the market and 6 teams including PSG want him. No bids. Desperate for cash on transfer deadline day I drop the price to £26m. Chelsea bid non-negotiable £14.5m. I tell them to feck off. They come back in with non-negotiable £13m. How the feck does that make any sort of sense?

Hostekule

I now remember why I got fed up with this. Player valued at £41.5m, I put him on the market and 6 teams including PSG want him. No bids. Desperate for cash on transfer deadline day I drop the price to £26m. Chelsea bid non-negotiable £14.5m. I tell them to feck off. They come back in with non-negotiable £13m. How the feck does that make any sort of sense?
That's fairly realistic, no? Clubs being interested when you offer a player out doesn't mean they're willing to pay the player market value. They're interested in the player, but in this case only for a low price. Also if you try to sell a player right before the window closes the time is running against you, not the other way.

Art Vandelay

That's fairly realistic, no? Clubs being interested when you offer a player out doesn't mean they're willing to pay the player market value. They're interested in the player, but in this case only for a low price. Also if you try to sell a player right before the window closes the time is running against you, not the other way.
It's right before the window for them too and if I say no to £14.5m why would you immediately come back and offer £13m? I'm hardly going to take even less money if I wasn't desperate enough to take the first one.

Also negotiating for Sancho, they had more or less agreed to take £12m up front and £30m over 12 months. I was trying to get it down to £10m up front and threw in various bonuses. They come straight back with non-negotiable £19m up front as well as everything else I was offering. It just feels like they are doing random things.

Edit: I've now gone back and offered them even less. They accepted, they did themselves out of £14m for no reason.

mitChley

It's right before the window for them too and if I say no to £14.5m why would you immediately come back and offer £13m? I'm hardly going to take even less money if I wasn't desperate enough to take the first one.
I can only assume they'll offer less because your desperate to get rid before the deadline. All the negotiation power is with them just like in real life. Still annoying like.

Hostekule

I can only assume they'll offer less because your desperate to get rid before the deadline. All the negotiation power is with them just like in real life. Still annoying like.
Agree with this.
Also negotiating for Sancho, they had more or less agreed to take £12m up front and £30m over 12 months. I was trying to get it down to £10m up front and threw in various bonuses. They come straight back with non-negotiable £19m up front as well as everything else I was offering. It just feels like they are doing random things.

Edit: I've now gone back and offered them even less. They accepted, they did themselves out of £14m for no reason.
When you're negotiating the clubs will get offended if your low balling, and they'll refuse to accept bids in the near future sometimes. Happened to me so often... I've also found that most clubs are reluctant to budge when it comes to the up front sum. They're punishing you for being greedy. When you reload the save and bid again the history of you being greedy in negotiations is gone and you start negotiations with a clean slate. If your initial bid then is reasonable they're likely to accept, although they wouldn't accept that bid earlier beause you're initial bid was lower last time around.

Art Vandelay

I didn't reload the save though. I turned down their non-negotiable offer, went back and offered them less. There's no logic here, they randomly bumped the price up and refused to negotiate, then took £14m less than I was offering them. They didn't even get the full up front sum they wanted.

Hostekule

I didn't reload the save though. I turned down their non-negotiable offer, went back and offered them less. There's no logic here, they randomly bumped the price up and refused to negotiate, then took £14m less than I was offering them. They didn't even get the full up front sum they wanted.
Strange. How much time was between the bump and the bid they accepted? I think the game resets the negotiating history after a certain amount of days. Not certain.

Art Vandelay

Strange. How much time was between the bump and the bid they accepted? I think the game resets the negotiating history after a certain amount of days. Not certain.
Transfer deadline day, so about an hour at most in game. 30 seconds real time.

I got Lingard out for £18m and Sancho in for £10m up front and £38m overall. They were being offered £52m overall to take the £10m up front when they went all non-negotiable demanding £19m up front and £60m+ overall. Now if I can just shift, Fred, Matic, Mata and Rojo before the European window closes my squad will be fine for this season unless I can get Varane in January. I'd sell Martial too, but no one really wants him. Can't blame them.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I once did what I call the 'Inbetweeners challenge'. Any of you here tried it?

A few years ago I actually managed to win the Champions League with Woking although it took ages, and afterwards, I felt a little ashamed of myself for wasting so much time on the game. :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This happens a lot, in a way its part of negotiation though, you basically called their bluff when you walked away

SambaBoy

Started a United save. Disabled transfer budgets for first window. Signed De Ligt for £35m and Lozano for £29.5m in January. Sold Darmian for £3m and Rojo for £12.5m. Loaned out McTominay. Won the CL by beating Atletico in the final. Finished 3rd in the league (City - 88pts, Liverpool 87 pts, Utd 80pts). Lost to Spurs in the FA Cup final. Won the LC beating Chelsea in the final.

In the summer, signed Ndombele (£35m), Sandro Tonali (£18m), Ryan Sessengnon (£31.5m), brought Depay back for £35m, clubs were bidding a lot higher as he had a fantastic season but he had a buyback clause so activated that. Brought in some kids for a combined fee of £20m (Urucu, Vagnoman, Kuhn, Hamstra, Fermina) put them all in reserves or out on loan. Brought back some ex players as coaches, Roy Keane as assistant, Scholes and Neville as first team coaches. Also sold Matic to Spurs for £26.5m, Romero (£5m). Finished second in the league on 87pts, City on 98pts. Won the LC beating West Ham in the final. Lost in Semi of FA Cup to City. Retained the CL though with some great comebacks and then a 4-0 thrasing of PSG in the final.

3rd season - Bought Sancho (£23.5m), he hadn't been playing for Dortmund much but he was still 19/20 and a wonderkid, can't adapt to playing RW though which is annoying, got AWB for £7.5m (his report was terrible), Houssem Aouar (£55m), Nikola Milenkovic (£20m), and two youngsters. Sold Fellaini for £15m, let Phil Jones go on a free, McTominay (£7m), Sanchez (£20m) and Mata on a free. Was unbeaten in the league till February but City were only a couple of points behind still, slipped up at Anfield and lost 1-0, then drew back to back games against Brighton and Wolves. Still had a chance going into the final month but lost to City at Old Trafford which killed any hope of a Prem win. Finished on 93 pts in the end, and City on 101.

The CL defence wasn't the best, lost 3-0 at Nou Camp, and could only beat them 2-0 at Old Trafford. Liverpool won on to win it. Lost to Liverpool in Quarters of League Cup and lost to City in final of FA Cup. Decided my squad was too big, and in July in the fourth summer now, going to streamline my squad and try get rid of 3-4 players. Smalling, Fred, Lukaku most likely. Upgrade a few players for next year too to challenge City. Will spend big on a striker, Kane possibly as Tottenham didn't get CL.

Took my 3 seasons/4th summer but finally got rid of all the deadwood (Fellaini, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Matic, Sanchez) and get in some quality young players (Aouar, De Ligt, Lozano, Ndombele, Sancho). Need to end City's dominance of the league so will go out all for a striker and another CB to partner De Ligt.

pascell

I once did what I call the 'Inbetweeners challenge'. Any of you here tried it?

A few years ago I actually managed to win the Champions League with Woking although it took ages, and afterwards, I felt a little ashamed of myself for wasting so much time on the game. :lol:
I just managed to do it on FM15 with Sezze in the 6th tier of Italian football, took me a good 10 years to manage it. And yes, I also felt ashamed for putting so much time into the game but damn it's addictive when you get winning :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Currently playing a game as Boro. I'm from the North East and all the recent speculation around the next manager has got me interested in seeing how I can do with them.

Got McTominay on loan and signed Bowen from Hull!

sold Assombalonga because I didn't really plan on using him and his wages were pretty high.

Art Vandelay

I may have broken the game. I've only reloaded once at the very start due to the "De Ligt incident". Yet I'm currently 15 points clear at the start of February having lost one game all season, in the Carabao Cup to Leicester. I've only drawn 2 league matches all season and only conceded 8 goals. I've also completely rebuilt the squad in 2 transfer windows. Which is mental. My line ups are now:

De Gea

Dalot - De Ligt - Lindelof - Tierney

Rice

Gedson Fernandes - Pogba

Asensio - Rashford - Chiesa

De Gea

Aarons - Jones - Smalling - Shaw

Tonali

Herrera - Felix

Chong - Greenwood - Sancho

Then I have Pereira acting as a very good squad player. Garner has just broken into the team and will most likely mean I move Rice back to CB to give him games in defensive midfield. Sanchez is still lurking around because no one will buy him. Martial injured his spine for 5 months so couldn't sell him. Greenwood is keeping Lukaku out of the team so I'll probably sell him. Jones isn't happy with playing time and asked for a transfer. All the other dead wood are gone, I couldn't get over £20m for any of them but managed to clear their stupidly high wages off my bill.

I have a policy if you train well then you get a chance in the team, consequently Greenwood and Chong have been in the team since around November, Chong scored on his debut and is now a full fledged rotation option. It took Greenwood a while as he is very raw, but his attributes are going up rapidly and he's starting scoring regularly. He has 8 goals in 13 games. I promoted those two, Gomes, Garner, Laird and O'Connor at the start of the season to first team squad for mentoring purposes. It's worked out really well and by the end of the season I expect Garner will be getting minutes every week too as he's now earned a spot through his training performances.