Gaming Football Manager 2019

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Forgetting to switch your reserve goalkeeper back out after a cup game is the worst :lol:
Yeah I’m really bad for clicking submit team by accident and starting the same xi, not good in the Scottish league where the games seem to be every three days at times. Weird fixture rota.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is it just me or does everyone seem to hit the post way too frequently when they miss? Getting a bit ridiculous now.

I’m fuming after the international break also, Mackay-Steven and Mcginn both out for 4 weeks each and my star centre mid is out for 4 months with a broken ankle. :mad:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Is it just me or does everyone seem to hit the post way too frequently when they miss? Getting a bit ridiculous now.

I’m fuming after the international break also, Mackay-Steven and Mcginn both out for 4 weeks each and my star centre mid is out for 4 months with a broken ankle. :mad:
Hitting the woodwork in general is something my teams do a lot, I'm kinda used to it now. 3 or 4 times isn't usual at all and I've had a few where it's been six or seven.

The match engine also seems to have continued the trend of all strikers turning in to Shane Long when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Seriously, it doesn't matter if it's Kane, Icardi, Messi .. whoever, 8/10 times they're hammering it straight at the keeper, I'm genuinely surprised when they put them away whereas in real life when a top class striker is clean through you expect it to be a goal.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hitting the woodwork in general is something my teams do a lot, I'm kinda used to it now. 3 or 4 times isn't usual at all and I've had a few where it's been six or seven.

The match engine also seems to have continued the trend of all strikers turning in to Shane Long when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Seriously, it doesn't matter if it's Kane, Icardi, Messi .. whoever, 8/10 times they're hammering it straight at the keeper, I'm genuinely surprised when they put them away whereas in real life when a top class striker is clean through you expect it to be a goal.
Been the case for years. Also I feel like nearly all of my goals are from one of my wingers crossing it to the other to tap in. I feel like City scoring the same goal every game.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
When will they fix the transfer AI? Probably never.

Every team seems to turn to shit after a few seasons because they have a merry go-round of just spending huge money on player's from one another in positions they don't need and ignoring all the talented youngsters. It's incredibly frustrating.

Latest transfer window in my game:

City buy Rodrygo off Real for 184m (!)
Real buy Keita off Pool for 110m
Pool buy Sane off City for 120m
Barca buy someone off PSG for 100m
PSG buy someone off Barca for 120m

All the while they're trying to tap up my players that I'll never sell and I'm snapping up all the best young players with zero competition.

Think it's time for a lower-league game.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

It's a bit mad. It's like that "he certainly didn't mean that!" type of cross happening like 3 times a match in the 2017 FM. That said I think this is the best FM since 2011, and the hardest since that one too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Why does it feel like the oppositions conditions is basically irrelevant?

Liverpool (I'm 2nd behind them in the league with not many games to go) just played a whole game against me with Salah starting the match at 72%. He played the whole game and played well. Yet if even one of my players reaches anything near 80% they're shite. They also had two players on orange injuries but again no issue. They were 2 - 0 up by half-time and then had a player sent off and I go way more attacking and change my formation to suit it.

Not a single highlight in the second half. The frustration, oh my god I could've smashed something.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also the defensive mentality button might as well just say 'Concede Goal'.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why does it feel like the oppositions conditions is basically irrelevant?

Liverpool (I'm 2nd behind them in the league with not many games to go) just played a whole game against me with Salah starting the match at 72%. He played the whole game and played well. Yet if even one of my players reaches anything near 80% they're shite. They also had two players on orange injuries but again no issue. They were 2 - 0 up by half-time and then had a player sent off and I go way more attacking and change my formation to suit it.

Not a single highlight in the second half. The frustration, oh my god I could've smashed something.
I had a game like that this season too. Was against Dundee who were second from bottom and by the 50th minute most of their players were on 60% compared to mine on 80%ish, they of course beat me 3-0 playing intense football. It annoys me that I buy this game every year when stupid stuff like this retains itself and isn’t fixed.

In other news I finished 2nd with Aberdeen on 76 points. Celtic finished 18 points ahead of me. Bit mental. I quit because I can’t be arsed with that, you basically need to win every single game if you’re another side to get the league over them. Barnsley got promoted to the Championship but their manager left for Brentford so I’ve took that job, lots of good young players in the side but no money and the squads thin, should be fun.

Also United won the league and decided to reward themselves by buying Kante and Hazard. :lol:

vangagal

Decided to made a new LLM game with FCUM. Only had wages about 3k/week and 10k for transfer. Won VNLN in first season. Basically i played with just kick and rush, made the tactic so simple that these ordinary players can follow it up. Cant wait to make it onto EPL in foreseeable future.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
10 games into the new season, turned Barnsley into the team everyone hates to play against aka I have about 4 shots to a teams 24 shots but I still manage to win 3-2. Trying to get a tactic at the moment which enables my players to take more shots but no matter what i do they are consistently only having about 2-6 shots a game which is crap. I'm sitting in 12th though which is reasonable as we were tipped for relegation.

I'm also having a bit of an issue with substitutions. When i make a sub it sometimes doesn't drag to the player which i choose but the one underneath, is this just my game or is it a clunky mechanic? :mad:

Last edited:

Abizzz

Pretty dissappointed with this. Played it for a good bit now and still don't see the upgrades to the 8 year old version. If anything it's become even worse. Keep conceding 30 yard screamers from fullbacks with longshot ratings between 4 and 8, and every free kick on the edge of the box is in.

I tell my players not to worry about relegation when we're 11 points ahead with 4 games to go and they're all pissed that i'm not taking relegation seriously... Wtf have they been doing the past 8 years? They talk about motioncapturing but the graphics are still crappy too.

At the moment i'm on the verge of giving up on it. Quite a let down.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
10 games into the new season, turned Barnsley into the team everyone hates to play against aka I have about 4 shots to a teams 24 shots but I still manage to win 3-2. Trying to get a tactic at the moment which enables my players to take more shots but no matter what i do they are consistently only having about 2-6 shots a game which is crap. I'm sitting in 12th though which is reasonable as we were tipped for relegation.

I'm also having a bit of an issue with substitutions. When i make a sub it sometimes doesn't drag to the player which i choose but the one underneath, is this just my game or is it a clunky mechanic? :mad:
I tend to have the opposite I am the one who loses 3-2 with 24 shots and the opp having only 4 shots.

pascell

Bought this a week ago while it was on sale. First time i'm playing the series since FM2011 (which I played a lot), but can't see myself playing this nearly as much, that might change once I see the upgrades in it. Up to now it seems much of the same, the squad dynamics stuff is interesting but not exactly exciting. It seems to be a lot more about keeping the players happy than the old version, which might be a fair reflection on the changes in real world football. A bit disappointing the dialogues are still like in a 1990's Sega game though (but hey I get to say one of the 4 options it gives me in an assertive, calm or passionate voice now, hurray!). The post match headlines are word for word exactly the same as in FM2011 :lol:.

The layout has become worse, everything's so huge on my screen, does anyone use alternative skins? (Any recommendations?) Having to install custom logos for a game that uses real commercials is also a bit of a joke.

All that said i'll probably play it for a couple hundred hours, no complaint on the value for money front.
Look on fm scout mate, they have tons of cool skins etc you can put into your game, they'll have a step by step guide of how to put them on too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I tend to have the opposite I am the one who loses 3-2 with 24 shots and the opp having only 4 shots.
I'm usually like that too, and it's the way of FM, but my Barnsley team last season were a great League 1 team and poor Championship level team so i needed to do it to win. Nearly dragged them to the playoffs though, missed out on the last day to Millwall of all clubs. Rebuilt the squad in the summer on 5m - sold my 'best' striker and keeper to get the funds to reshape the rest of the team and i'm now sitting in 2nd place after 10 games and scoring freely.

Just got beat 3-0 by Ipswich though (they had 3 shots and i had 12), never change FM. :D

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Heavily into this version, playing it more than any version since 15. It seems way more challenging to scout and find good players to take you to the next level than it used to be, i'm struggling to find people with Barnsley but it's great, don't think it will be easy at all to win a title so it's going to be a long save I think.

In my 4th season with Barnsley now, finished 2nd in the Championship and have just finished 8th in the PL in my first season thanks to a brilliant beginning half. In the second half of the season we were atrocious and if it wasn't for the first half i'd have been under a lot of pressure. I just signed a midfielder who was Barnsleys record transfer - 7.5m. City have just made a 168m bid for Mbappe. :lol:

EDIT: Just got offered the Leipzig job. Taking it and creating two saves so I can go back to the Barnsley one if i want to.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just had 43 shots in the FA Cup semi final. 15 on target, about 6 hit the post. City had 6 shots and beat me 2 - 1. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Are Liverpool insane in anyone elses game? They won 5 trophies last season in my game while going unbeaten in the PL and everytime i play them i get absolute dicked. :rolleyes:

Wayne's World

Are Liverpool insane in anyone elses game? They won 5 trophies last season in my game while going unbeaten in the PL and everytime i play them i get absolute dicked. :rolleyes:
They won the league against me by one point, losing only 2 games (One against me) winning 34 games. Now following season they are currently 9th, 27 points behind me in March.

So yeah they might do the same as they did for me in my game too :cool:

pascell

Anyone had any experience with lower leagues, I'm talking amatuer leagues here?

I've cranked up FM15 and found a database for 6th division in Italy, which has the team from my Nanas birthplace Sezze within it. Am I biting off more than I can chew here?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just saw somebody made a database representing the 03/04 season, basically copied everything over from CM04 into FM19 so its accurate to how it was then. Cant wait to do it and manage a young ronaldo, sign a young Rooney, use Scholes, Giggs and RvN :drool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They won the league against me by one point, losing only 2 games (One against me) winning 34 games. Now following season they are currently 9th, 27 points behind me in March.

So yeah they might do the same as they did for me in my game too :cool:
They've just continued on a charge for me. Not letting up for anything.

I've noticed that the transfer stuff is still messy and home grown players are most often completely shite so you need to invest but then have a pretty tricky squad to get past the rules. Trying to buy english players is horrible though. Scouted around 20 or so english youngsters (All under the age of 19) and all of their parent clubs came back to me and said they'd refuse anything below 80m ffs.

KingCantona87

Been absolutely smashing FM 2019 for a while now. Currently managing Burnley in the Championship (trying to work up to United job) and it is infuriating at the best of times. Do any of you get any joy using 4-4-2?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Been absolutely smashing FM 2019 for a while now. Currently managing Burnley in the Championship (trying to work up to United job) and it is infuriating at the best of times. Do any of you get any joy using 4-4-2?
Oh yeah absolutely, I've found 4-4-2 to be my most effective formation this year. Right now I'm playing a possession oriented 4-4-2 with wide midfielders instead of wingers, sometimes becomes a 4-4-1-1. Intense pressing with a high line.

I find 4-4-2 fantastic for overloading the flanks, with two wing backs on attack supporting the wide midfielders you pretty much always have opportunities to whip a ball in, and particularly when you have two strikers you have plenty of options. Top of the championship with Forest Green at the moment having won league 2 and league 1 back to back and I've pretty much utilised a 4-4-2 all the way through. Box to box mids on the two cms, and then one striker on pressing forward (support) and the other an advanced forward.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How do you change the database? Also does anyone else just get bored after a few game years and just pump money into a tiny team acting like their pep Guardiola and just buy the top stars?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The link to it is on the youtube page.
How do you change the database? Also does anyone else just get bored after a few game years and just pump money into a tiny team acting like their pep Guardiola and just buy the top stars?
There's the official editor you can download as a fm 2019 tool through steam, loads everything and you can do what you want. This guy copied everything from 2003/04, just downloaded and it looks fecking brilliant. Even made a small facepack for the premier league from that season. First thing I'm gonna do is buy Rooney from Everton :drool:

Edit: And bring in VDS, Vidic and Evra... forgot how bad that situation for our back 5 was in those days :lol: Tempted to use the in game editor and bring Beckham back for shits too.

Looking through random players there's a lot of weird ratings, FM was definitely way more giving with their ratings. So many played over 180/190 (Kleberson had a potential of 182?).

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I haven't got this but I've recently been watching some LPs of this on YouTube and I like the look. Do you guys recommend it?

Just saw somebody made a database representing the 03/04 season, basically copied everything over from CM04 into FM19 so its accurate to how it was then. Cant wait to do it and manage a young ronaldo, sign a young Rooney, use Scholes, Giggs and RvN :drool:
I saw this on my YouTube travels this past week. Looks good!

On FM18 (I think) someone (maybe the same guy) made a 07/08 database which was lots of fun. I'd still love a 98/99 or 99/00 database. The treble team :drool:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Always. Not to that extent perhaps but I give a few clubs a sugar daddy so the save lasts longer.

Flying Fox

So started off a long term save with Sunderland after watching the netflix special. Twatted league 1 playing 4-2-3-1 gegenpress. Even managed to sign Antonio Marin for 3m! :lol: Started off strong in the Championship before a bit of a blip. Recovered to win the league with 3 games to go. Its / and im in the PL. Heavily tipped to go down. Tahith Cong turns into a beast when you give him minutes! Have had him on loan for the last season and a bit and he's done very well

KingCantona87

Oh yeah absolutely, I've found 4-4-2 to be my most effective formation this year. Right now I'm playing a possession oriented 4-4-2 with wide midfielders instead of wingers, sometimes becomes a 4-4-1-1. Intense pressing with a high line.

I find 4-4-2 fantastic for overloading the flanks, with two wing backs on attack supporting the wide midfielders you pretty much always have opportunities to whip a ball in, and particularly when you have two strikers you have plenty of options. Top of the championship with Forest Green at the moment having won league 2 and league 1 back to back and I've pretty much utilised a 4-4-2 all the way through. Box to box mids on the two cms, and then one striker on pressing forward (support) and the other an advanced forward.
Good shout I never considered having two BBM in the centre. Do you switch to 4-4-1-1 against much better opposition for example? I had a mare last night when 6 seasons in, my save file corrupted :( Will start a new save with Salford City tonight and will be saving to the cloud from now on!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Good shout I never considered having two BBM in the centre. Do you switch to 4-4-1-1 against much better opposition for example? I had a mare last night when 6 seasons in, my save file corrupted :( Will start a new save with Salford City tonight and will be saving to the cloud from now on!
I do yeah, especially away from home I usually swap out the advanced forward for another midfielder. If I feel the opposition is vastly superior I'll swap out the AF for a defensive mid and go to a 4-1-4-1 with just the pressing forward up top, but he's never totally isolated because both of the wide midfielders are on attack duty (they generally get the bulk of my goals). With my Forest Green side I have Gribbin on loan from United when I go to the 4-4-1-1 and he's fantastic, 17 free kicks = set pieces goals for days as well.

Having two BBM is risky and can lead to you getting caught out sometimes, but for me it's worth the risk, both of mine contribute a hell of a lot in an attacking sense. Sorry to hear about your save file though mate, seriously shit when you put a lot of time in to something and lose it, obviously it's just a fecking game but still irritating as hell.

KingCantona87

Having two BBM is risky and can lead to you getting caught out sometimes, but for me it's worth the risk, both of mine contribute a hell of a lot in an attacking sense. Sorry to hear about your save file though mate, seriously shit when you put a lot of time in to something and lose it, obviously it's just a fecking game but still irritating as hell.
There was a lot of emotion and effort put into that last save, won the Vanarama North with FC United in my first season. Got hired by Bury midway through my 2nd season. They were 22nd in League 2 just after Christmas. Managed to get to 12th in the end. 2nd "full" season with them I won the League 2 title and Checkatrade Trophy and managed to get to the 6th round of the FA Cup.

Got hired in June by a recently relegated Burnley and I had to literally build a team from the ground up. Only survivors from their EPL side were Tom Heaton and Ashley Barnes. Was at game 44, 2 points behind league leaders Norwich with a game in hand when I logged off to go to bed for the night...

I played mainly 4-4-2 but with wingers on support duty, with a DLP on defend and a BBM. Was really successful with Bury and FC United but Burnley had some god awful losses in my season with them. Probably because the players at Burnley didn't quite lend well to the system?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I mix between a 4-2-3-1 and a defensive 4-4-2 when i play the bigger sides which seems to work. Playing in an attacking manner is definitely the best way to get results on this one though, especially with controlling possession and shooting a lot. Long shots are overpowered as are freekicks.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
So started off a long term save with Sunderland after watching the netflix special. Twatted league 1 playing 4-2-3-1 gegenpress. Even managed to sign Antonio Marin for 3m! :lol: Started off strong in the Championship before a bit of a blip. Recovered to win the league with 3 games to go. Its / and im in the PL. Heavily tipped to go down. Tahith Cong turns into a beast when you give him minutes! Have had him on loan for the last season and a bit and he's done very well
How the fu-

Marin is an absolute beast in my Southampton save. Currently around midway through 2023/4 and he's scored 9 in 17 with 4 assists from out wide with average rating 7.41, and for Croatia he's scored 34 in 45 :eek:

Speaking of Croatia, Eastern Europe seems to be a treasure trove for midfield newgen wonderkids :drool: Hoping to build my midfield around these 3 for a decade having bought all 3 a few seasons ago for a combined £4.7m!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Right, so I've often spoke about how much I hate the term 'bottlers' and how overused it is, but I've just screamed 'you bottling bunch of bastards' at my computer :lol:.

2-0 up against fellow playoff rival Aston Villa when an on loan Enobakhare scores me a fantastic third in the 90th minute, done and dusted right?

Nope. Villa go up the other end and score. No worries, still got a 2 goal cushion. Nope, they score again .. and again, in the space of 3 minutes I've managed to lose a 3-0 lead, one of which my goalkeeper palmed in to his own net.

Hate this fecking game.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
There was a lot of emotion and effort put into that last save, won the Vanarama North with FC United in my first season. Got hired by Bury midway through my 2nd season. They were 22nd in League 2 just after Christmas. Managed to get to 12th in the end. 2nd "full" season with them I won the League 2 title and Checkatrade Trophy and managed to get to the 6th round of the FA Cup.

Got hired in June by a recently relegated Burnley and I had to literally build a team from the ground up. Only survivors from their EPL side were Tom Heaton and Ashley Barnes. Was at game 44, 2 points behind league leaders Norwich with a game in hand when I logged off to go to bed for the night...

I played mainly 4-4-2 but with wingers on support duty, with a DLP on defend and a BBM. Was really successful with Bury and FC United but Burnley had some god awful losses in my season with them. Probably because the players at Burnley didn't quite lend well to the system?

Could be, but if you had to build a team from the ground up it could also simply be too many players coming in at the same time, if you're only 2 points behind the league leaders I'd say you're not doing too badly. In the games where you've getting really bad results, what kind of goals were you conceding? You can usually pinpoint the problem that way, especially if it's the same kind of one time and time again.

Sometimes it is just a case of horrible form. My Forest Green team went on a 7 game winning run in the Championship and then for the last 4-5 games have been dodgy as hell, culminating in that horrible draw I posted above.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Just won the CL for the second time in a row with Man Utd. My merits are:
2019 - won the PL and Carabao Cup
2020 - won the PL and Carabao Cup
2021 - lost the Carabao Cup final
2022 - won the PL, CL and lost the FA Cup final
2023 - won the FA Cup, Carabao Cup and the CL

I’m now starting the 23/24 season. City is a pain in the arse to compete against. Mbappe and Kane are tearing it up for them.
Here’s my best XI:
—————————-De Gea————————————-
Henrichs, Ruben Dias, Kimpembe, Theo Hernandez
—————————Ruben Neves——————————
——————SMS ———————— Pogba —————-
Asensio —————— Pellegri ——————— Sancho

I’ve now got a 21 man squad with 5 academy players (6 if you count Dalot) and 4 English players. Could be better, but quite happy with that considering how I have to be ruthless in order to beat City for the title who always seem to finish on around 100 points.

Sold Rashford, Bailly, Alex Sandro and Martial in the summer. I eventually gave up on Rash/Martial. They rarely performed. I bought Theo Hernandez for £162m pounds (release clause). Crazy, I know, but he was a significant upgrade and it’s not many players who can upgrade my team. Also bought Sancho for £160m. Arsenal really didn’t want to sell him.