Gaming Football Manager 2023

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Guarantee newgens will still look like shit despite multiple fan attempts coming up with better ones for free.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think the problem for me is 1. It looks shit. 2. I never have played FM for graphics. 3. I don't care about making my manager look exactly like me as I barely ever take notice of it in game, if at all.

It just isn't the fundamental change Miles thinks it is.
I doubt anyone plays FM for graphics. Hell, make them worse, and I doubt many people will care.

The issue for me has always been about the AI - transfers and team building and the fact that the game becomes super easy after a while - and playing with teams like Utd is not even a challenge. I agree with the match engine criticism as well, but dont care as much

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I doubt anyone plays FM for graphics. Hell, make them worse, and I doubt many people will care.

The issue for me has always been about the AI - transfers and team building and the fact that the game becomes super easy after a while - and playing with teams like Utd is not even a challenge. I agree with the match engine criticism as well, but dont care as much

I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't really care about graphics in FM, but a few FM YouTubers have made the valid point that long-term avid FM players may continue to overlook graphics, but for them to capture the interest of young Fifa players who don't remember the days of text-based commentary, graphics will be a big factor.

It feels like they're leaving a big gap in the market for a competitor.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't really care about graphics in FM, but a few FM YouTubers have made the valid point that long-term avid FM players may continue to overlook graphics, but for them to capture the interest of young Fifa players who don't remember the days of text-based commentary, graphics will be a big factor.

I think a bigger problem is retaining people.

MUW4Eva

Not sure how a competitor could match FM's database in terms of numbers of players from all over the world, it is huge, and at the moment, unless I am mistaken, most other managerial games just concentrate on the "big" leagues, so this is what separates FM, and puts them out of reach of their rivals.
Plus the ability to edit the database, and add leagues and alter the pyramid.
I mean I have played on databases that have I think really gone quite far down in the English system to teams that I have never heard of before!

That is the beauty of FM, not if Messi looks like Messi, or if Ronaldo does whatever his latest celebration of the week is.

The ability to manage whichever club you want, from neigh on any league that you want (and hopefully very soon that will include the women's database as well, and the possibility to do a Phil Neville, and move between the databases....I.e. manage in the women's or men's game, then switch to the other).

Other games to my mind focus far too much on the chance to manage ourselves, City, Liverpool, Barca, Juve, Real Madrid etc etc, but with FM, of you want to start in the English 5th division, then move to the Croat 3rd tier, then South Africa, Egypt, Thailand and then Australia, you can do just that, it is the open ended nature of the game that is just sooo great, that is its main selling point, the depth.

Once you have played a few seasons (admittedly that gets harder and longer to do on the more modern or newer versions, as there is just sooo much more to do), and players retire and regens take their place, then having superb graphics about Tom Sywell for Darlington's reserves, isn't quite as important as what his core stats are, how he will match or fit in with my squad of players at Bamber Bridge for example.

So call me old school, call me out of date, but for me, I couldn't care any less about the graphics, they are not important at all, it is the core AI, the database, and how all of that works which is vastly more important (plenty of issues still to be resolved there).

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The target audience is quite different. FM is more targeted to the nerds who just are obsessed with tactical and scouting bits.

If they really want to focus so much on graphics, make it a one-time investment where you hire a team that can make visuals appropriate for today's age, rather than incremental updates to the visual as the headline addition, and the visuals still being worse than Fifa 98

Gandalf

Can anyone shed any light on the mobile version of this? I have played desktop versions on and off for years but I recently was diagnosed with tendonitis in my shoulder which has bizarrely been caused by years of working at a desk and so sitting at a computer is fairly painful now and I can only manage it for brief periods. I have never really gone in for mobile games as they seem so basic but I was curious if the mobile version of this had a bit of depth to it and was anything like the full version.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can anyone shed any light on the mobile version of this? I have played desktop versions on and off for years but I recently was diagnosed with tendonitis in my shoulder which has bizarrely been caused by years of working at a desk and so sitting at a computer is fairly painful now and I can only manage it for brief periods. I have never really gone in for mobile games as they seem so basic but I was curious if the mobile version of this had a bit of depth to it and was anything like the full version.
I played the FM21 phone version... Its good for if you're on a plane/want to just jump in and out for a bit... But its a very light version of the game, and was piss easy.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Console version? Play with a controller?

phelans shorts

Zealands new gen face gen is a godsend! Using real faces keeps things authentic. The faces are totally generated but you'd never know.
Wasn’t Zealand hired by SI at the start of the year? They definitely hired one of the online folk who do face packs so that should help moving forward (whether this year was soon enough to make any effect, who’s to know)

Widow

Wasn’t Zealand hired by SI at the start of the year? They definitely hired one of the online folk who do face packs so that should help moving forward (whether this year was soon enough to make any effect, who’s to know)
He's worked for them this year but not on this. He did mention it to Miles who really liked it though.

https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/newgan-facepack.1266/

If anyone is wanting to check it out.

MUW4Eva

Graphics sure could do with ab update, but is that really why oeople play the game?
If the graphics were FIFA level, would that really make any difference?
What happens if you have a really long save (harder as each version goes on as there us just soo much more to do on each game before you click "continue") into the future, say 2045 or something like that, how would such graphics adapt to regens?

The thing with FIFA is, it can look brilliant because it is only using players that are well known, the here and now players, what Football Manager is all about, is the hidden gems, and the regens, or for a lot of people, the lower level ones, how would it be possible to get so many people accurately represented in the game??

That is why I don't belive the graphics are all that important, it is the database, the AI, the training, the actual game that matters far more than trying to get the graphics updated.

Asger

Graphics sure could do with ab update, but is that really why oeople play the game?
What happens if you have a really long save (harder as each version goes on as there us just soo much more to do on each game before you click "continue") into the future, say 2045 or something like that, how would such graphics adapt to regens?

The thing with FIFA is, it can look brilliant because it is only using players that are well known, the here and now players, what Football Manager is all about, is the hidden gems, and the regens, or for a lot of people, the lower level ones, how would it be possible to get so many people accurately represented in the game??

That is why I don't belive the graphics are all that important, it is the database, the AI, the training, the actual game that matters far more than trying to get the graphics updated.
Good post. I don't even like to watch matches in 3D version. Prefer just the old 2D classic. If i want 3D then I can just go and play fifa.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

It isn’t the graphics. It’s that Miles chose to highlight it in the build up to release despite it looking worse than ever. If that’s something they’re proud of then what else are they not talking about.

It’s also just lack of attention to detail. The promises system is completely broken, the newgens come through with stats that don’t make sense and the amount of wonderkids is OTT. The AI managers make poor decisions and the game becomes too easy after a couple seasons, the UI is clunky and requires too many clicks, etc…

The graphics are not the most important but they still help. I don’t really feel immersed into the game when my 17 year old newgen right back is balding, left footed and has 4 crossing ability. It’s the little details that show the overall thing is lacking. A bit like the leaky roof at OT.

MUW4Eva

It isn’t the graphics. It’s that Miles chose to highlight it in the build up to release despite it looking worse than ever. If that’s something they’re proud of then what else are they not talking about.

It’s also just lack of attention to detail. The promises system is completely broken, the newgens come through with stats that don’t make sense and the amount of wonderkids is OTT. The AI managers make poor decisions and the game becomes too easy after a couple seasons, the UI is clunky and requires too many clicks, etc…

The graphics are not the most important but they still help. I don’t really feel immersed into the game when my 17 year old newgen right back is balding, left footed and has 4 crossing ability. It’s the little details that show the overall thing is lacking. A bit like the leaky roof at OT.

I get what you are saying, and sure I am all for slight updates, such as what you mention, but I don't see how wanting FIFA level of detailed graphics will help much in the long run...as hypothetically speaking here, just nothing more thst that.
Say if that were possible, say we did get a game with fantastic graphics, and it made everyone look amazing, for how long would that be the case, if someone got a new tattoo, or changed their hair colour/style (ala Pogba seemed to do every week), would there have to be a new update for that??

At the minute the graphics don't really need to take such things into consideration, and I personally am fine with that.

What I am far more concerned about is ghe actually game itself, there are plenty of things that I think need changing or updating, before we or the company should be looking at the graphic side of things.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I get what you are saying, and sure I am all for slight updates, such as what you mention, but I don't see how wanting FIFA level of detailed graphics will help much in the long run...as hypothetically speaking here, just nothing more thst that.
Say if that were possible, say we did get a game with fantastic graphics, and it made everyone look amazing, for how long would that be the case, if someone got a new tattoo, or changed their hair colour/style (ala Pogba seemed to do every week), would there have to be a new update for that??

At the minute the graphics don't really need to take such things into consideration, and I personally am fine with that.

What I am far more concerned about is ghe actually game itself, there are plenty of things that I think need changing or updating, before we or the company should be looking at the graphic side of things.
I think you've missed the entire point of my post though. I don't want FIFA level graphics. I play with 2D on.

As I said, I'm also more concerned with the game itself and pointed out areas that need attention. The worrying thing is that Miles thinks that this manager face is impressive and chose to highlight it as something new. It tells you where their priorities lie. Pointless superficial shit that also looks crap.

My only point regarding the graphics was sometimes they take me out of the immersion when I have a 17 year old regen and his in his picture he's balding and looks 35. People have made better looking faces for free in the community.

GueRed

I've FINALLY got into Football Manager (been meaning to for the past year, CM 2003 was my last manager game)
I'm a couple of months into the 2021/22 season.

Pogba is doing bits (as the kids say) for my United team
Ronaldo and Greenwood on fire up top for me

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've FINALLY got into Football Manager (been meaning to for the past year, CM 2003 was my last manager game)
I'm a couple of months into the 2021/22 season.

Pogba is doing bits (as the kids say) for my United team
Ronaldo and Greenwood on fire up top for me
I have some bad news for you in Jan 2022.

ben_united

Anyone who's played the touch versions in the past - does it have enough to keep you interested? I definitely can't commit to hours on a laptop but would love to get stuck in to the touch version this year.

Alfie092

Where would be the cheapest place to purchase FM23 for Mac? Steam is offering a 20% discount if you pre-order it, so a total of £35.99.

Would I be able to pick this up cheaper elsewhere?

I haven't played FM for about 6-7 years and want to get back into it this year!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Where would be the cheapest place to purchase FM23 for Mac? Steam is offering a 20% discount if you pre-order it, so a total of £35.99.

Would I be able to pick this up cheaper elsewhere?

I haven't played FM for about 6-7 years and want to get back into it this year!
Yes, Just wait a bit until the youtubers and stuff get discounts with cdkeys etc.

Alfie092

Yes, Just wait a bit until the youtubers and stuff get discounts with cdkeys etc.

How much cheaper would it be approximately with the discounts they get? If it's around £25 or less I'm happy to wait but if it's around £30, I would rather get is asap than waiting a few weeks/months to save 5 quid...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How much cheaper would it be approximately with the discounts they get? If it's around £25 or less I'm happy to wait but if it's around £30, I would rather get is asap than waiting a few weeks/months to save 5 quid...
Shopto had last years version for £25 and the other youtube ones were around £25-27 with beta access.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Yeah from what I’ve seen there’s not a chance I’m buying this. Have done every year previously but this is where I draw the line. The most unexciting update to a product I can recall.

Zealand is spot on too. To not overhaul international management in this year, of all years, is scandalous and typical of their stale ignorance. Surely it was the most basic and obvious update they could have applied.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m still gonna get this just like I get fifa, but I can get enough out of it to warrant the price and still be allowed think they both need major improvements in many areas. It’s just a shame really.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Anyone who's played the touch versions in the past - does it have enough to keep you interested? I definitely can't commit to hours on a laptop but would love to get stuck in to the touch version this year.
I think Touch is great, personally. Its the same game just with a load of the faff cut out.

Abraxas

To be fair I don't think improved match engine graphics equals must look like FIFA though. It could look far more fluid, far more detailed from a distance, far better animations without the need for detailed facial models on every player.

Dave_MUFC

SI tweeted themselves that the beta is loading, about an hour ago. So it should hopefully be out by 6 or 8 tonight.

Does anyone have a cutout logo for United? You don't get them in packs anymore and it really bugs me seeing the generic FM badge when doing a united save