Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Similar situation with Lukaku. Can be decent players but you don't spend that kind of money on players with serious flaws.

€60m.
Wow. The fee is not his problem.But he certainly does not look like a bargain and needs to do a lot more to impress.

haram

The scouts have something to answer for again because he looks nothing like a 50 million pound player at the moment.

He is not being picked by either manager and looks the same under both.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Herrera at the moment is leagues ahead of him. This last summer window was a big waste of time.

khoazany

McTominay was better than him today and it's not a good performance from Scott by any mean. Objectively speaking it'll be hard for him to justify getting more game times.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
His competition is Herrera and Herrera for all his flaws displays far more poise than Fred has shown. You see glimpses of impressive play that could really help the team in an attacking sense but his flaws are more worrying than what he can bring offensively. I am just imagining the counter attacking opportunities we would give up with Pogba and Fred both tending to lose the ball overmuch in bad areas.
Fred's flaws are what make me suspect we bought him in case Pogba went to Barcelona last summer. The good things I've seen him do are all in the final third, ball juggling to get away from players, clever one touch passes into space, nothing that suggests he was bought to compete with Herrera. Mourinho might have said that publicly but who knows what he was thinking privately. There's just nothing about the way Fred plays that makes me think he could ably replace Ander Herrera, especially in a Jose Mourinho team. Fred is far, far away from being a Sami Khedira or Michael Essien style #8.

Renegade

Why are people saying his a club signing? Wasn’t Mourinho making noise early in the summer about wanting a Brazilian in his team?

Wasting £50m on a position we were well covered is typical of us. He made up an award for McTominay then goes and spends £50m on a player in the same position.

Phil

It's clear to see that he has some talent. He has very quick feet and good dribbling ability. His passing is adventurous, but when it comes off he can make some defence splitting ones. On the other hand, he is sloppy in possession and loses the ball far too frequently.
Yup about this. He also makes great through balls between the lines which we just don't have enough of. Wish he could improve upon the sloppiness and lack of awareness.

El-Manos

Has flashes of great play but loses the ball way too often and seems to lack strength at the moment. Hopefully he will pick himself up soon, fans are losing patience.

Greck

Similar situation with Lukaku. Can be decent players but you don't spend that kind of money on players with serious flaws.

€60m.
Jose's policy was giving the club a list and expecting us to fulfil it at any cost. What would he have said if we told him we wouldn't meet Shaktar's valuation of Fred?

El-Manos

The scouts have something to answer for again because he looks nothing like a 50 million pound player at the moment.

He is not being picked by either manager and looks the same under both.
Our scouts have been pretty dire for a while now. Jorginho was available for a similar price, why did we ignore him ? Dalot hopefully will turn out to be a good signing, Lindelof is starting to look good so hopefully that's some positivity going forward.

Patrick08

Jose's policy was giving the club a list and expecting us to fulfil it at any cost. What would he have said if we told him we wouldn't meet Shaktar's valuation of Fred?
Souness made a point that with his money Jose should have bought a center half.

el3mel

Probably nothing as he wasn't playing him much either.

This looks like a deal we did just because City were interested. City were clever and backed off from this shite as they realized he's not good enough for such price. We were morons enough to do it.

Patrick08

Our scouts have been pretty dire for a while now. Jorginho was available for a similar price, why did we ignore him ? Dalot hopefully will turn out to be a good signing, Lindelof is starting to look good so hopefully that's some positivity going forward.
Pretty sure he ignored us because of the play style.

Sylar

Disappointing. Thought he started the match ok which lead to the penalty incident. After that, he was disappointing.

haram

Jose seemed to claim both Dalot and Lindelof because they played in Portugal. He did take digs at our scouts.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like fred. His qualities are clear, but so are his weakness.

He plays the game at a fast tempo, loves 1 touch football. Sometimes though that’s to his detriment, he needs to learn when to regulate that tempo and slow it down a little.

At times he plays a 1 touch pass when his teammate isn’t ready for it, or the run hasn’t never been made. At other times though his passing and movement really drives us up the pitch, and links up well with the forwards.

He’s only been at the club 5/6 months and it’s clear he’s still adjusting. He reminds me of Lindelof in the sense his talent is clear but he just needs to calm down and play naturally.

It’s fair to say he can range from brilliant to strange within minutes, he’s just got to that consistency to his game.

He won the most interceptions and tackles again, which shows he doesn’t hide and loves to press. He does need to work on defensive positioning after that though.

Overall he’s clearly got bundles of talent, but we need to be patient and see how he fares next year.

RedDevil5

Was trying to remain patient with him, but today was a wake up today for me. Playing vs a shite team in a rather low pressure fixture and he still looks absolutely lost. I know his midfield partners weren't any good, but still shocking stuff. I'm really losing faith with him, at this rate he may not even be with the team by opening day 2019/20 season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm hoping we've not but I think we've wasted our money.
He seems to lack composure more often than not, along with seemingly having no physicality.
Hopefully he comes good, but I'm not a big believer in the first season being a write off for new players, he needs to do much better.

Canagel

The comments in here sounds like things we heard about Lindelof from last season. And he's the best CB this season. Patience people. Patience.
I haven't got to watch the game yet but when I do I better see why people are moaning.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's far too rushed in his play, needs to slow it down a bit and keep it simple at times. I still think he'll come good but we won't see it until next season.

Patrick08

The comments in here sounds like things we heard about Lindelof from last season. And he's the best CB this season. Patience people. Patience.
I haven't got to watch the game yet but when I do I better see why people are moaning.
He doesn't seem to be a midfield controller to me.

Devil may care

To think Torreira cost half as much. :houllier:

Are you going to come in here chastising motherfeckers if you don't? :D Patience is one thing, but Fred's issues with control, passing and lack of awareness are beyond what we saw with Lindelof, his basic fundamentals were sound, he just needed to get up to speed with the PL.

ErranMorad

He needs to realize this is not Ukranian football where he'll have 15 minutes to make the decision when on the ball. There were few times today where he was lackadaisical and lost the ball as the challenge came in while he was contemplating. The lack of awareness he shows is mind boggling. This is a fast paced league and he needs to make quick decisions. The talent is there, some of his passing when not pressed can be good, but I am not sure he has the quickness of thought. Needs a lot of improvement before he is ready.

Really strange buy for such a huge sum. I wish there was a fan interaction with the club management after the season is over where we can find out the thought process behind some of the decisions. I would love to know why Fred was bought.

Last edited:

Canagel

To think Torreira cost half as much. :houllier:

Are you going to come in here chastising motherfeckers if you don't? :D Patience is one thing, but Fred's issues with control, passing and lack of awareness are beyond what we saw with Lindelof, his basic fundamentals were sound, he just needed to get up to speed with the PL.
If he was as poor as I'm reading here I'll come back and say so but I'll have to see what the fuss is all about. The caf has history for blowing things out of proportion.
Fred's issues from what I've seen are also down to speed of the league and I don't expect to see him at his best until next season. Players adapt at different paces.

Toddler

Awful today. He seems to lose the ball because he is just too slow with his decision making and not enough physical with his play. I'm starting to feel he is another miss since he should have shown something already.

Devil may care

If he was as poor as I'm reading here I'll come back and say so but I'll have to see what the fuss is all about. The caf has history for blowing things out of proportion.
Fred's issues from what I've seen are also down to speed of the league and I don't expect to see him at his best until next season.
He miscontrolled the ball when in plenty of space, he misplaced simple passes, he is so unaware of where the opposition is and got knocked off the ball, he only looks half in control of it and his body most of the time, and this wasn't against a PL side, it was against a team that is set to be relegated to the 3rd tier of English football, he wasn't alone in being poor today, but the bigger concern is that his flaws are basic fundamentals for a top player.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Was just a typical Fred performance. Plays some good passes that others probably wouldn't, but located it cheaply.

I think part of his problem is not being aware of his safety options before he gets the ball. He always looks forward and if there's nothing he'll just lost it. Sometimes he needs to be prepared to pass backwards to keep possession.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What did City see in him?

He looks like he has a lot of technique in the way he receives the ball and plays his passes, but he's so sloppy and easily dispossessed for a player who is supposedly defensive-minded. I don't really know what he's supposed to be good at, but that actually applies to all 3 of our central midfielders today.

Ace of Spades

He just looks very raw. He can be great one moment, and then shit the next. Also, needs to slow down a bit and know when to play the high risk passes, and when to keep things ticking. Too many times wants to play that killer ball even when it is not on. Hopefully gets settled and shows more in time.

IrishRedDevil

...needs to slow down a bit and know when to play the high risk passes, and when to keep things ticking. Too many times wants to play that killer ball even when it is not on. Hopefully gets settled and shows more in time.
Nail on the head!

The good thing is, that is easily trained given time.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He just looks very raw. He can be great one moment, and then shit the next. Also, needs to slow down a bit and know when to play the high risk passes, and when to keep things ticking. Too many times wants to play that killer ball even when it is not on. Hopefully gets settled and shows more in time.
We were saying the same thing about Anderson 3 years in and I think we might be doing the same with Fred...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Think he has a player in him. It'll probably end up like Depay where it comes out after he's left.

UpWithRivers

What did City see in him?

He looks like he has a lot of technique in the way he receives the ball and plays his passes, but he's so sloppy and easily dispossessed for a player who is supposedly defensive-minded. I don't really know what he's supposed to be good at, but that actually applies to all 3 of our central midfielders today.
Im beginning to think City just went on for Fred and Sanchez to make us go in for them. I still have slight hope for Sanchez. Fred is a donkey. I went and rewatched his games in Ukraine because I was sure there must be a better player in there. But there is not. He was ok to good. Nothing spectacular and in a terrible, terrible league. Have no idea what people see in him. One or two okayish forward pass a match. He tries. Ill give him that. If he becomes brilliant next year Ill be more suprised than if Trump says he is wrong and resigns.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
At least he is not fat, or injured all the time. Progress. :drool:
:lol: sadly had the same thought! Maybe he could develop a lot in the way that Anderson wasn't able to, thanks to his fitness and motivational issues...surely Fred won't have the same problems

Bobski

At least he is not fat, or injured all the time. Progress. :drool:
Ando didn't lose the ball in bad areas like Fred does though. His touch was excellent and he understood how to protect the ball. He sometimes has issues with weight of pass and running out of steam early even before the weight issues kicked in. More talented than Fred.

Alabaster Codify7

Some nice pocket-picking and a few nice through balls but man, he even looks patchy against a team as lowly as Reading. It's very worrying, personally I think we've bought a dud here.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm surprised with some of the comments in here. I actually thought he was probably our best player in the time he was on (although that's more due to nobody else being particularly good either). Certainly not great and he did do some things wrong, but he also did more things right than anyone else did.

I still would have hoped he'd have been better though, as he was still inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.