5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Was it my imagination or did he seem to be quite slow at getting to the ball today? I feel like we lost possession a lot in midfield because Fred was just a yard or two short of getting to the ball.
Do you mean when he's joining the attack or when he's trying to help with the build up?

In the first half, he was playing in front of Smalling, who had very few options when in possession (partly due to his ability on the ball, but also partly due to Arsenal closing down obvious passing lanes).

During this period, I thought Fred looked hesitant to drop deep and provide a safe option. He seems more comfortable receiving the ball on the half-turn before playing a quick pass forward, rather than simply keeping things ticking over.

Once Smalling and Lindelof switched places, Fred had a better time trying to influence the tempo of the game. Overall, I thought his direct style of passing allowed us to create some good chances despite having very little control over the game.

And then when Dalot and Matic went off, we became very top heavy, and Fred had only Pogba to help him out in midfield. Naturally, the last 15 minutes or so did not go well, although the second goal was conceded by then.

Conor

Surely his detractors can see that a lot of the mistakes he's making are symptomatic of someone that hasn't played a lot of football in the last 6 months? The more game time he gets the better, better to hold off judgement on his Utd career until he's had a proper run of games.

the_irish123

I don't remember Fred starting against a weak side at home. All his last 5 or 6 starts were Valencia away, PSG away, Arsenal away, away, away etc etc.

I think the last comfortable game we gave him was Everton at home which was a fairly easy 2-0 win.

It doesn't sound like good management if you are trying to ease someone in to the league. He starts 1 game every 2 months or so and its always a brutal fixture.

That being said I'm not a huge believer in him as a starter for a elite team. He can play for Everton or Shakhtar etc. He was never really consistent anywhere, dating to his Brazil days too.

Grande

His ball winning was very good against Arsenal, which was very importent as they crowded midfield to win the ball high and set up to quickly overwhelm our defence with 3 on 3, 4 on 4, 6 on 5 etc. He often won the ball back again or slowed Arsenals counter attacks from midfield, and he also did mostly very well in playing the ball out of pressure when we were low (unlike he has been before). His weakness this game was around the last third, and of course the penalty.

If he continues his improvement into the last half/third, he can become very useful.

acnumber9

Surely his detractors can see that a lot of the mistakes he's making are symptomatic of someone that hasn't played a lot of football in the last 6 months? The more game time he gets the better, better to hold off judgement on his Utd career until he's had a proper run of games.
Is it not just as obvious that the fact he has played so little is symptomatic of perhaps not being good enough?

Bestietom

Fred is coming into form at the right time for us. He needs games to improve his confidence even more.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Does he remind you of Anderson? I get a similar kind of vibe from him. A slightly thinner, fitter Anderson. Doesn't have much positional sense; has the ability to make a pass, though has the tendency to over hit or under hit him; shows good vision but also 5 seconds behind everyone; has ability to carry the ball but has propensity to run into brick walls. The talent is there but not enough of it or the consistency to make it in the central midfield at a top club.
Definitely! It's a very strange mix of qualities. Inconsistent centre mids aren't common at the top level for a reason, IMO.

I think Anderson's time here is one of the things that make me most pessimistic about him. If you judged Anderson on moments there were lots of positives to find but if you judged his game in its entirety, it just wasn't enough.

The big thing Fred has over Anderson is his ball winning ability. Anderson always looked like he could become a terrier defensively but just lacked the defensive nous. Fred has a lot of the same issues in positioning himself in the right place, but he is definitely a strong tackler and reads interceptions pretty well.

MadMike

Make you right. Not sure why some players people take a fecking forensic look at their game and others don't. Do the same with the other midfielders and it doesn't look too different. I know Anders is the golden boy on here but trust me his game is far from perfect either and he's been here a lot longer.
Anders?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Definitely a really good player in there. Needs more time and more games, I’d definitely play him against Wolves. McTominay should replace Matic.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Those turns at 4:24 & 5:16 are something we've been missing in midfield, in my opinion. Hopefully he builds on this!

I noticed a pass missing from the compilation but nevermind.

Canagel

Those turns at 4:24 & 5:16 are something we've been missing in midfield, in my opinion. Hopefully he builds on this!

not bad for a first pl game since boxing day.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

How anybody can watch that and say it's a poor performance is beyond me. he won the ball back SO MANY times.

I count 3 misplaced passes which yes he could do better with, but across 90 minutes that's hardly unusual.

The only downside was being naive with too much pressure in the box on Lacazette, but he bought the pen rather than it being stonewall. Fred also stops a pretty much guaranteed goal.

settembrini

It blows my mind that we are in March and we have yet to see Fred and Herrera start even one match together in midfield. It's no wonder he has struggled at times when we spent months trying to get him to play as an attacking midfielder and have still not given him a single game next to the guy who would compliment him most.

youmeletsfly

It blows my mind that we are in March and we have yet to see Fred and Herrera start even one match together in midfield. It's no wonder he has struggled at times when we spent months trying to get him to play as an attacking midfielder and have still not given him a single game next to the guy who would compliment him most.
I'd like to see Anders at DM with Fred at RM and Pogs at LM. Should be an interesting combination.

Alemar

He was decent, MotM contender with Shaw. Many mistakes in passing, but compared to rest of the squad he was rather good

lysglimt

Scout
Anyone who watched the game and concludes that Fred had a bad game is fecking blind and know feck all about football.
He didnt have a bad game - for 98% of the game he was probably among our better players - but what does he do on the pitch that makes him a United-player ? With Herrera, Pogba and Matic - they have qualities (and some weaknesses) - but Fred ? I still don't understand what his strength is

Adam-Utd

He didnt have a bad game - for 98% of the game he was probably among our better players - but what does he do on the pitch that makes him a United-player ? With Herrera, Pogba and Matic - they have qualities (and some weaknesses) - but Fred ? I still don't understand what his strength is
Fred intercepted the ball more times than Matic ever has in a match for us. He carries the ball forward well, he's very good when pressed 1v1. He can shoot quite well, unlucky not to score off the post. His only weakness is in aerial duels and the odd sloppy touch.

I'd love to see him and Herrera in midfield, it's a shame Matic is back first.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can see why Ole kept faith with him but in hindsight McTerminator would have been better. Fred was by no means awful (Matic and Rashford took those honours) but he's wasn't good either. Just very very average

MadMike

I reckon him and Herrera would look fine playing in a double pivot. When one drives forward the other sits back etc. That's just my feeling though in practice it might turn out different.

Ander herrera the warrior

I'd like to see Anders at DM with Fred at RM and Pogs at LM. Should be an interesting combination.
Or we could also try this when we want to use the diamond formation with 2 up top

-----------------------Matic----------------------
--------Herrera-----------------Fred----------
------------------------Pogba--------------------

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yep, I've been wanting to see that combination all season. They should be able press teams incredibly well, especially if we add Lingard and Rashford in there as well.

Phil

How anyone can watch this and say it wasn't a good midfield performance is beyond me.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He was one of our top 5 best players in the Arsenal match, I think he's slowly adapting. I actually think these last two games have been his best performances for us.

goin4glory

Both Fred and Lindelof were brought in because we cannot build from the back. Our CB's were horrendous on the ball and CM's just went backwards and sideways. Lindelof is a ball playing CB and Fred is specifically a transition midfielder. He's there to link defence to midfield and does so excellently. I'm not shocked to see plenty of caf posters come out with nonsense about goals/assists or other cliche's after all most of them wanted De Rossi or Strootman ahead of Modric 5 years ago.

Fred is exactly the type of CM we need, someone who can resist a high press and link all areas. He's also quick and a good ball winner which makes him useful vs counter attacks. He's a system player with a great skillset whose being badly misused.

Stacks

People saying he was shit on Sunday haven't got a clue about football, I'm sorry.
Deffo was not shit. Was better than Matic.
Both Fred and Lindelof were brought in because we cannot build from the back. Our CB's were horrendous on the ball and CM's just went backwards and sideways. Lindelof is a ball playing CB and Fred is specifically a transition midfielder. He's there to link defence to midfield and does so excellently. I'm not shocked to see plenty of caf posters come out with nonsense about goals/assists or other cliche's after all most of them wanted De Rossi or Strootman ahead of Modric 5 years ago.

Fred is exactly the type of CM we need, someone who can resist a high press and link all areas. He's also quick and a good ball winner which makes him useful vs counter attacks. He's a system player with a great skillset whose being badly misused.
I am yet to see him do anything Excellently. His only good game was vs PSG and he was decent vs Arsenal. Still got to show a lot more before these hyperbolic statement. The only CM who has done any aspect excellently for us are Ander and Paul.
We need better creator than Fred. Someone who can create when Pogba goes walkies. Fred will be an very good squad player but I would like to try that Sporting Lisbon guy in the 1st team with Pogba and Ander

Charles Miller

Think he played well against PSG and Arsenal despite the penalty. Dont know if he was benched again because of that penalty but it would be better try to make it work because in the moment Pogba is the only midfielder who can dribble and break lines and Fred when in form can do it too.

Also i dont like this kind of management when a player is benched for months then needs to prove his worth in one game. Not even Real Madrid is so radical in this kind of approuch. It can destroy players confidence. You need to tell the player that he will play 4 games in a roll so he can relax a little bit. He looks so nervous all the time.

Wolves 2:1 Man Utd

Adam-Utd

I thought he played really well, so unfortunate with that slip as it’ll cloud another solid performance. God knows why he got subbed instead of Lingard.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ditch Ander, keep Fred. Banter United. :lol:

Raven

Was pretty decent, but that mistake was fecking outrageous. He completely bottled the rest of the half after that.

el3mel

Should stay away from our goal as much as possible if he ever plays again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He has such a weird technique for central midfielder, I am not even surprised he cost us.

Status
Not open for further replies.