5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GledTheRed

Nobody other than a team who should be playing out. He clearly wanted it or wouldn't have come for the ball into space. Nobody is near him when the ball gets played, let alone when he receives it.
Was a shit pass from a keeper who cost us the game. A keeper who doesn't really wanna be at our club if we are being honest with ourselves.

Bobski

It is like that Pereira mistake that many tried to blame on Jones, but worse. If you are not good enough to take the ball in that situation and find a solution it raises massive questions about his future here.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He did a fair bit of good, but he looks so awkward sometimes. 99% if the time, his 2nd touch is correcting his horrendous 1st touch. It either just bounces off him or gets stuck under his feet.

deafepl

This is twice time De Gea played for Fred, they scored a two goal. De Gea should never pass to players by opponents player.

cheeky_backheel

Is Fred your Dad? Watch the goal again. You couldn't have given him an easier pass but he miscontrolled it under no pressure. Other than that he played well but there's no excusing the first goal is from his error.

The pass was ill advised given that there were 4 Wolves player vs 2 united to pressure the ball. Fred called for the ball but DDG shouldnt have passed to him and should have gone long given the high press (or passed to shaw who had a better view of the press)

That being said, Fred's orientation was poor (as he couldnt see the pressers) and his first touch was a 'lukaku'. A better touch and he could have sent the ball back to DDG to boot upfield. The goal was 99% his fault.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He did well for our goal early on. Very meh after that and a big mistake to boot. He's very current United.

He did look lively though so didn't really want him to come off.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
What I don't get from this guy his, especially for a midfielder, his first touch and ball control is a complete mess.
I can't remember the times, but on a few occasions today his first touch put himself in trouble, even when players weren't that close.

The only time I remember is the beginning of the 41st minute. No pressure at all, but had to fight to keep the ball.

And this isn't just a today thing, his technique when he receives the ball is really weird / bad and it constantly puts him in trouble.
He did some alright things today, I'm not saying he was the worst player on the pitch, but in general since coming here, he's been nothing but a liability in midfield

JoaquinJoaquin

Mistake aside, I thought he played well. Obviously a lot of people being well over the top in the match day thread, but that's the usual thing.

People saying he played bad is bizarre. A lot of those same posters are ones who think Herrera is top class though, so I'll take those opinions with a pinch of salt.

Ekeke

Mistake aside, I thought he played well. Obviously a lot of people being well over the top in the match day thread, but that's the usual thing.

People saying he played bad is bizarre. A lot of those same posters are ones who think Herrera is top class though, so I'll take those opinions with a pinch of salt.
He was okay other than making a big mistake leading to a goal. That okay performance turned pretty bad.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Was good until the blunder. Then it all came crashing down.

Shame. He actually looked good . Assist too.

Mr PG

He was very good bar the mistake. That’s why I don’t like he or Perreira playing too deep

Web of Bissaka

Ole gambled on him, and the gamble is balanced off.

His mistake led to their first goal, yet he's also the one that played crucial attacks leading to our first goal with McT pulling the trigger.

Surprising to see him as the sole #6, it works though mainly. When he got subbed out, no one else take the role on active building up attacks from the back.

Good energy and important at the back, but oh gahd he's so inconsistent and erratic. Fair decision to subbed him out.

Ashley R1+O

Shit mistake aside, I don't really understand how he complements the team when he's playing at the base of midfield. I get what we were trying to do but when you put him there and then the complete player that McTominay showed he can be tonight it just presents another selection headache (to the logjam of selection headaches we already have). He kind of reminds me of Kagawa in a sense of he's an "just somewhere up there" player. We've got loads of those.

What a bizarre scenario that we paid huge money for him.

bucky

Sadly sums up his time here. I thought he did relatively well for the most part. Shame about the mistake. Really not sure what we should do with him.

Devil may care

Sadly sums up his time here. I thought he did relatively well for the most part. Shame about the mistake. Really not sure what we should do with him.
For me him, McTominay and Pereira should go into next season as the back-ups for Pogba and 2 top new CM's we buy in the summer. I never wanted us to buy Fred but I have to say there have been 2 or 3 games now where he's shown promising patches of play, enough to give him a second season, and I'd start him vs Barca and the next PL game as well against West Ham, let him get a few games back to back and see if that builds some confidence.

manutddjw

Thought he was decent and some positives to take away from this game. Won the ball several times and switched play a few times which pleases me because terrible midfielders we’ve had previously would just pass side to side and not even attempt it. He still has to get better at a few things but at least there’s some things positive there.

bucky

For me him, McTominay and Pereira should go into next season as the back-ups for Pogba and 2 top new CM's we buy in the summer. I never wanted us to buy Fred but I have to say there have been 2 or 3 games now where he's shown promising patches of play, enough to give him a second season, and I'd start him vs Barca and the next PL game as well against West Ham, let him get a few games back to back and see if that builds some confidence.
Yeah, it reminds me of what we did with de Gea initially. The rotation with Lindegaard didn't help at all IMO during his first season. Similarly here I think he's lacking game rhythm and a bit of trust. Unfortunately we can't afford his mistakes currently. For a 50m player I think we also should expect a bit more. I hope Ole coaches him up and I hope you are right.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was one of our only players who tried anything he was always showing for the ball and trying to move it around make things happen. Compared to pogba it was Fred who looked like the really important player trying to push the team forward. Bad mistake for the goal but one of our better players on a very flat night. Im convinced now he’ll be a good player for us next season.

Frank Grimes

Anyone else thing the games Solskjaer has chosen to play Fred in were odd? He starts him away to Arsenal, fair enough we had injuries, but then benches him for the easier home games and then drops him back in when he hasn't played for weeks in a crucial away game v Wolves (when he had decided not to play him in the same fixture in the cup).

Players need games to build up confidence, I don't think Fred has been given a fair crack of the whip in this regard and then has been expected to hit the ground running in very tough games away to Arsenal and Wolves. For this reason I'm reluctant to call him out too much.

John Blund

Aside from the two times where he lost the ball, I thought he had a great game. He hardly missed a pass, won the ball like 6 or 7 times, and I thought he looked lively. He'll come good for us.

An Irish Red

There's definitely a player in there. He's tenacious, quick-footed, and a reasonably good passer; he just becomes utterly comical any time he's near his own penalty box.

He's worth persevering with, although he really needs to cut the mistakes out.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah sure he's my dad. Good one!

The pass was wank, nobody want to receive a pass there, DDG should use his fecking brain. As for his goalkeeping for the wolves winner, don't get me started..
Everyone wants to receive a pass there. He is in miles of space with room to turn out. Have you ever played football before? Any midfielder who doesn't want the ball in acres of space is complete trash and shouldn't be playing professionally at all let alone at United.

BlahRules

Everyone wants to receive a pass there. He is in miles of space with room to turn out. Have you ever played football before? Any midfielder who doesn't want the ball in acres of space is complete trash and shouldn't be playing professionally at all let alone at United.
Totally agree. That first touch by Fred should get him a fine. Ridiculous how professional can’t even control a ball when not even being pressured.

lysglimt

Scout
As I stated in a another thread - he is not a bad player, he just plays with a risk margin that is too small for his skills. Yes DDG shouldnt have passed the ball to him, but it wasn't a bad pass - he just couldn't controll a fairly easy ball. Would that have happened with Matic or Herrera ? No. But it happened with Fred, and it will happen again.

mancan92

No professional player should be making that mistake. Man city and Liverpool play those sorts of passes regularly. Nothing wrong with it The mistake is Fred's. It's clear he isn't good enough. It's that simple

Canagel

No professional player should be making that mistake. Man city and Liverpool play those sorts of passes regularly. Nothing wrong with it The mistake is Fred's. It's clear he isn't good enough. It's that simple

settembrini

He was played in a defensive role which suits him well and was one of our best players. However that mistake for their goal was awful and you can't blame it on anyone else.

Adamsk7

I thought he started quite well and I do like that he actually seems to be one of our only players to show any sort of urgency in his play. However....

So far he has not been good enough. His first touch is Lukaku level, which as we’ve seen, is very dangerous considering his position. That’s not even my number one problem with him, it’s how weak he is in the challenge! So often he just bounces off the player with the ball as if he’s some irritating Fly in their way, however unlike a Fly, he doesn’t even get back at them.

I went to the Arsenal game and he is literally the smallest footballer I have ever seen. Both me and my friend thought it was some sort of optical illusion because he looked like one of the ball boys. Honestly, the TV doesn’t do his height justice.

Needham

He did a fair bit of good, but he looks so awkward sometimes. 99% if the time, his 2nd touch is correcting his horrendous 1st touch. It either just bounces off him or gets stuck under his feet.
It's so counter-intuitive, a 50 million quid Brazilian with a poor first touch. Only us in the post-Fergie era would have signed such a player.

GledTheRed

Played football all my life, nobody wants the ball there you against a team that pressing like wolves. Have you played football before Mr know it all?

kundalini

Played football all my life, nobody wants the ball there you against a team that pressing like wolves. Have you played football before Mr know it all?
47 secs into the clip below, Fred indicates using his arms that he wants the ball from De Gea. He also appears to instruct Smalling to get out of the way. De Gea's pass had a nice weight to it. At 50 secs you can see that had Fred controlled the pass, he had an easy pass up the field into Lingard who had moved to find space so that he could receive the ball, or alternatively, Lukaku, who was positioned slightly behind Lingard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.