Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think whatever he has shown since the PSG game up to now is just his highest level he can achieve. I can’t see him improving anymore.

Kaglish10

Should be deployed as a box-box midfielder, problem is he's better on the left, which is also Pogba's position.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can’t remember a player who plays so many inaccurate balls, often after such good work. Wouldn’t give up on him yet though.

Web of Bissaka

Love to lose easy possession and making misplaced passes.

I mean that's nothing new and we all know as clear as day that's part of his game... our 4 coaches are so forgetful?? or naive??

Need to partner himself up with someone like McTom who can cover his flaws.

Johan07

I like his energy and attitude but his passing is nowhere near as good as he thinks it is, he needs to keep it simpler and calmer at times, not every pass needs to be an attempted defense splitter, and his loose control makes him a risk as the deepest CM, I said this from the start about him, his touch is erratic.
Tbf its not his fault that he is being played as a No6 which is so not his position. Fred was a winger before he arrived at Shakhtar and to entrust him to play at No6 for united against maybe the best team in Europe is not fair after a couple of seasons here in the Ukraine.
That said he has actually been performing better than Matic in that position which says more about Matic actually. Fred should be competing for one of the No8 spots we have or even with Lingard and Mata for the inverted RW that we have been using since Mourinho.

Web of Bissaka

Should be deployed as a box-box midfielder, problem is he's better on the left, which is also Pogba's position.
Disagree.

"Pogba play better on the left than right" is a myth.

Seen Pogba played as RCM and there's really no differences.

Yeah, Fred should either deployed as LCM or in a two CDM system with reliable partner eg. McT, that are the total opposite in playstyle to him.

Siorac

He is incredibly frustrating. A decent drinking game could be based on him: every time he successfully harasses the opponent and gets the ball only to immediately give it away with a terrible pass, you drink. You'd be absolutely hammered by half-time.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Tbf its not his fault that he is being played as a No6 which is so not his position. Fred was a winger before he arrived at Shakhtar and to entrust him to play at No6 for united against maybe the best team in Europe is not fair after a couple of seasons here in the Ukraine.
That said he has actually been performing better than Matic in that position which says more about Matic actually. Fred should be competing for one of the No8 spots we have or even with Lingard and Mata for the inverted RW that we have been using since Mourinho.
He played in a double pivot with Shaktar which gave him a bit more of a safety net, but I'm just not sure about him on the ball overall to be a more attacking based player, I think he's a ball winner in a midfield double pivot who can cover a lot of ground but needs the ball playing holder next to him.

Patrick08

He played in a double pivot with Shaktar which gave him a bit more of a safety net, but I'm just not sure about him on the ball overall to be a more attacking based player, I think he's a ball winner in a midfield double pivot who can cover a lot of ground but needs the ball playing holder next to him.
True. But honestly I would have splashed the money on neves than him.

Owngoalscorer

I really wasn't convinced earlier in his time here but i really think he's starting to get better - his defensive work was good tonight - his "misplaced" passes seemed often because his teammates weren't thinking about where the ball might be passed into space for them to pick up - since LVG our passing has been to feet and you rarely see players running onto a pass. I think the more playing time he gets the better understandings he'll build with his team-mates.

Johan07

Yeah, that is his best position. He was the more offensive one at Shakhtar with Stepanenko covering for him defensively. We have not really used a double pivot since Mourinho though and to put him as a lone No6 in front of a back five as today is not really fair and he should not be judged to harsh from todays performance. I think he performed decently considering this and he is one of our MF players that shows that they want to play for United. Which goes a long way IMO.
But he cant play there long-term. We need a top class defensive midfielder in this summer more than anything. Matic is done and if Herrera does leave there goes the other alternative, and thats not even his best position either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not his best game on the ball but my god most of you are overreacting #whosshockedimnot

Devil may care

True. But honestly I would have splashed the money on neves than him.
As would I but that ship might have sailed now.

Yeah, that is his best position. He was the more offensive one at Shakhtar with Stepanenko covering for him defensively. We have not really used a double pivot since Mourinho though and to put him as a lone No6 in front of a back five as today is not really fair and he should not be judged to harsh from todays performance. I think he performed decently considering this and he is one of our MF players that shows that they want to play for United. Which goes a long way IMO.
But he cant play there long-term. We need a top class defensive midfielder in this summer more than anything. Matic is done and if Herrera does leave there goes the other alternative, and thats not even his best position either.
I think the role is harder for him but at the same time his passing tonight was on him, rushing things, trying to make passes he doesn't have in his locker instead of keeping it simple, that's on him. I'm not trashing him like a lot of posts, just saying he needs to take blame for the passing side of his performance. To me we need a player with him who is not only defensively better but who can control the game.

Patrick08

I think the role is harder for him but at the same time his passing tonight was on him, rushing things, trying to make passes he doesn't have in his locker instead of keeping it simple, that's on him. I'm not trashing him like a lot of posts, just saying he needs to take blame for the passing side of his performance. To me we need a player with him who is not only defensively better but who can control the game.
He is too light weight for the Epl. His balance is poor as well for a player with low centre of gravity. He can improve though with some strength work and being more fit.

MadMike

Always a mixed bag and inconsistent even during the same game.

He works he socks off and keeps trying and showing for the ball, but his passing is erratic. One pass is an incisive forward pass, next one straight for a throw. He'll harass opposition and win the ball a few times, but then people will also run off him and shrug him off easily. He'll work his way through a couple of players in one occasion, in another he'll display control of Lukaku levels of bad.

If he at least stops giving the ball away on his half of the pitch and playing it more simple there, we might have a decent player. But still have massive doubts

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is incredibly frustrating. A decent drinking game could be based on his play: every time he harasses the opponent successfully and gets the ball only to immediately give it away with a terrible pass, you drink. You'd be absolutely hammered by half-time.
That sounds fun actually. I'll participate next time he starts. Might be doubling up on that every time Rashford shoots from a silly position.
Like a less disciplined Kante with slightly better technique and vision but also big concentration issues. I'd rather have the original.

Johan07

I do agree on this. Immensely. Especially the latter part. Such a player who can do it consistently (controlling the pace of the game) in the groveling pit that is the PL is not easy to find though. IMO it has to be someone more experienced. Neves is a really good player and has PL-experience now, but I am not sure he is ready. I think we might switch back towards to a double pivot next season if we dont find someone suitable to replace Matic. What we are doing now; playing Fred out of position to cover for a shot Matic is just wrong though.
Our midfield needs to be revamped this summer. If Herrera leaves, we will have lost Fella and Herrera from the beginning of the season. And I dont think Pereira will stay. He is just not good enough. Thats three new CMs in to replace them and there is not youth to fill those places today. Garner will be a good player, how good remains to be seen but he is at least a season away from even commanding a squad place. Needs to go on loan. It will be very important what we do in midfield this summer IMO.

sherrinford

He’s shown much more in the no.6 role than as a no.8. The higher he plays the less comfortable he gets.

Technically, he’s quite frankly not good enough for a top league. He has other qualities and his general sharpness is at the point now where it can be said that physically he is good enough, but has there ever been a successful (in any reasonable sense) deep central midfielder in this league who wasn’t tidy on the ball.

Devil may care

He is too light weight for the Epl. His balance is poor as well for a player with low centre of gravity. He can improve though with some strength work and being more fit.
I think his balance issue comes from his first touch, he recieves the ball awakwardly at times, miscontrols it and loses his balance. I'm not sold on him but I think he deserves a second season.

Like a less disciplined Kante with slightly better technique and vision but also big concentration issues. I'd rather have the original.
Sums him up pretty well.

Kamprad

The hyperbole is flying tonight, he wasn't great but the shovels are out burying the guy.

Is that what he is? When I saw him at Shaktar he was always more of a grafting CM than that, he actually is pretty good at winning the ball, the problem is when he gets it he doesn't realize his limitations.
I don’t know honestly. Didn’t see him in Shaktar. But he sure has that careless, easy going style about him from what I’ve seen here in United. It doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Look at Marcelo or Ronaldinho. But it makes it even more frustrating when he’s playing this bad. He’s had two absolutely shocking performances in a row. I feel sorry for him. He’s clearly out of form and Ole keep feeding him to the wolves by playing him in that position.

Johan07

He’s shown much more in the no.6 role than as a no.8. The higher he plays the less comfortable he gets.

Technically, he’s quite frankly not good enough for a top league. He has other qualities and his general sharpness is at the point now where it can be said that physically he is good enough, but has there ever been a successful (in any reasonable sense) deep central midfielder in this league who wasn’t tidy on the ball.
This is not untrue. One can argue though that his slightly better performance after OGS arrival might also be because of him adapting to the PL, language and everything. And that he might do even better in his preferred position. At least he has shown enough for me at least to get another season (with a pre-season) and see how he does before we write him off.
And who knows; maybe he can turn into the new Pirlo but we cant play him as a No6 when we sit as low as we still do now and entrust him to protect the back-four or five. It would require us to stand much higher up the pitch and start to press the opposition. But who knows. He is actually one of our players that has had a positive development this year even if he started out shit-poor and the only way was up I guess. But that should still count for something IMO.

Devil may care

I do agree on this. Immensely. Especially the latter part. Such a player who can do it consistently (controlling the pace of the game) in the groveling pit that is the PL is not easy to find though. IMO it has to be someone more experienced. Neves is a really good player and has PL-experience now, but I am not sure he is ready. I think we might switch back towards to a double pivot next season if we dont find someone suitable to replace Matic. What we are doing now; playing Fred out of position to cover for a shot Matic is just wrong though.
Our midfield needs to be revamped this summer. If Herrera leaves, we will have lost Fella and Herrera from the beginning of the season. And I dont think Pereira will stay. He is just not good enough. Thats three new CMs in to replace them and there is not youth to fill those places today. Garner will be a good player, how good remains to be seen but he is at least a season away from even commanding a squad place. Needs to go on loan. It will be very important what we do in midfield this summer IMO.
Overall I agree, we could also be talking about replacing Pogba, there is so much work to be done with that midfield and Neves might be a good buy in terms of looking long term, as he has the tools and physicality to be that playmaker in a double pivot, but we'd have to give him time.

Infra-red

I don't know what he was doing tonight. He seemed to have turned a corner, but that performance was absolutely appalling. The worst first touch of any Brazilian player ever?

Devil may care

I don’t know honestly. Didn’t see him in Shaktar. But he sure has that careless, easy going style about him from what I’ve seen here in United. It doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Look at Marcelo or Ronaldinho. But it makes it even more frustrating when he’s playing this bad. He’s had two absolutely shocking performances in a row. I feel sorry for him. He’s clearly out of form and Ole keep feeding him to the wolves by playing him in that position.
I think his first touch is loose moreso than him being carefree in his play, and as the other poster mentioned he's not really a #6 but between him and Matic he's at least capable of tracking runs and winning the ball, which is more than Matic offers which is why Ole keeps playing him IMO.

Johan07

Overall I agree, we could also be talking about replacing Pogba, there is so much work to be done with that midfield and Neves might be a good buy in terms of looking long term, as he has the tools and physicality to be that playmaker in a double pivot, but we'd have to give him time.
If Pogba does push for a transfer we will be basically looking to replace three of our "top" midfielders from this season plus having to phase out Matic who should maybe have been the one that should have left first. That will be incredibly difficult. Hope it does not happen.

the_irish123

Love to lose easy possession and making misplaced passes.

I mean that's nothing new and we all know as clear as day that's part of his game... our 4 coaches are so forgetful?? or naive??

Need to partner himself up with someone like McTom who can cover his flaws.
Yes. At West Ham or some place else hopefully.

Giggs86

Such a frustrating player. Great at pressing and recovering the ball but then can't find the right pass to save his life. How many times did he pass the ball to a City player after making a recovery or getting into a good position?

predator

Youth NITK
There's a trend in this thread that he never finds the right ball but I think it's a case of the players not finding the right run. I honestly think fred is a good player. I think he would thrive in other teams. What's good finding the right ball (accurate pass) if it's to a teammate who is static?

In Rainbows

This is how all of us originally saw him as. Somewhere along the way we drifted away from that opinion. Remember, we wanted him to be a better Herrera. Both he and Herrera have energy. I do think he is more capable of going forward than Herrera, but at the same time has more technical inconsistencies which is something I also thought of Herrera.

The problem however is that we still don't have someone who can control the pace of the match with their passing, nor do we have a real DM. I need to see more of Fred before I can feel he's a capable DM.

Canagel

There's a trend in this thread that he never finds the right ball but I think it's a case of the players not finding the right run. I honestly think fred is a good player. I think he would thrive in other teams. What's good finding the right ball (accurate pass) if it's to a teammate who is static?
This.

simplyared

Said it all along he is so inadequate. Brings nothing to the table and puts us in trouble more than anything. Worst is he won't improve much either. Can't understand Ole's faith in him of late. He needs to go in the summer.

sherrinford

This is not untrue. One can argue though that his slightly better performance after OGS arrival might also be because of him adapting to the PL, language and everything. And that he might do even better in his preferred position. At least he has shown enough for me at least to get another season (with a pre-season) and see how he does before we write him off.
And who knows; maybe he can turn into the new Pirlo but we cant play him as a No6 when we sit as low as we still do now and entrust him to protect the back-four or five. It would require us to stand much higher up the pitch and start to press the opposition. But who knows. He is actually one of our players that has had a positive development this year even if he started out shit-poor and the only way was up I guess. But that should still count for something IMO.
Except that since Solskjaer has come in, he hasn’t played exclusively in the no.6 role. He has also played in the no.8 position that you believe to be his best, yet he has consistently struggled there. As the no.6 he faired much better.

flappyjay

He tried to make a quick pass to Pogba and it ended up flying into the stands, was Pogba meant to be standing there. For city's 2nd do believe it was because he wanted Pogba to be standing in front of the city player rather than in some free space

Kostov

I'm not sure he will ever be reliable to produce consistent acceptable performances for this club. Sad state of affairs really.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Pretty sure that he will be off not this summer but next one.

Complete mistake with him.

He costs us a goal every two games it’s pathetic. Missed so many passes, so many times out of position.

Him and Pereira in midfield are so weak…. To be honest, one of the biggest Woodward’s flop (Sanchez is out of category)

Victor Valdes, Varela, Lee Grant, Depay, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Lindelof, Sanchez, Shaw, Dalot, Mkhitaryan, Rojo, Blind, Romero, Herrera, Martial, Pogba, Bailly, Fellaini, Matic, Lukaku, Mata, Ibra….

Definitely in top 5 alongside Sanchez, Depay, Di Maria and Bastian

Welbeckham

Anderson won the golden boy award while Fred played for Shaktar until recently..

Anderson had more talent than most other players but that doesnt mean Fred cant be a useful player.
My comment was to the comparison between these two couple of posts earlier. I think Fred isn’t necessarily an useless footballer but he lacks the ability to be anything more than decent in any position on the field. So if we aim higher than 5th or 6th, we must also aim higher than Fred.

OohAahMartial

Its clear now why he was playing in the Ukrainian league. Nowhere near good enough at the basics.

Is he genuinely Brazilian? Never seen one have such poor touch and passing. The scout needs to be sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.