Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maybe I watch a different game then.
passing is not his problem but strength which to me is a minor thing to get over.
Some of his passes were really good,I must be watching a different game.
I highlighted the key word. 'Some'.

He's capable of playing some great passes. But then the next time he gets on the ball he'll play a bad pass and give the ball straight to the opposition. Like pretty much all of his game, it's raw and inconsistent. The key for him is improving that consistency so that he can maximise the ability he does have, as he does have the tools to be a very good little player. The question is whether he'll be able to or whether he'll always have that inconsistency.

Revan

Assumptionman
I just don't see it. He is an okayish player, but not better than Herrera, so why we spent 50-60m on him is a bit beyond my understanding.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why do you guys like to peddle lies just to suit your narrative? He has made 10 appearances in the PL with 7 starts, plus 3 CL starts. That is like playing in half of our games and far from spending entire season on the bench like you are claiming.

The more accurate assessment is that he hasn't taken his chances to earn his spot. May he needs more time to adapt to PL but lack of playing time is not a valid excuse.
I won't really judge him on the performances he put in under Jose where collectively the whole team failed.

And he hasn't really been starting any games recently so one can expect rustiness.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Wow, not sure what game I was watching but I actually thought he was the best player on the pitch in the first half.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Hardly going to be a language issue, as they both speak Portuguese! Lack of basic insight into our players is astonishing at times!!!
Language issue with the coaching staff. I assume, unlike Mou, Ole coaches in English and can't switch to Portuguese to help Fred.

cheeky_backheel

I won't really judge him on the performances he put in under Jose where collectively the whole team failed.

And he hasn't really been starting any games recently so one can expect rustiness.
For me, he needs time and can only be judged properly in his second season. An example is comparing Lindelof from last season to this one, which were both under Mourinho. Many on the Caf had written off the swede prior.

Changing from Shakhtar to United is a big change both on and off the pitch and most players need the time to adapt and see if they can step up to the required level.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Wow, not sure what game I was watching but I actually thought he was the best player on the pitch in the first half.
He wasn't the best or close to that but was decent enough and actually promising compared to his recent showings. Nowhere near as bad as painted out to be and that's after watching the first half twice.

RuudTom83

He had 1 Pogba-est pass in the first half when he switched it out wide, which was impressive.

But his role in the team is unclear at the moment...but it’s still early days.

3KDré

Language issue with the coaching staff. I assume, unlike Mou, Ole coaches in English and can't switch to Portuguese to help Fred.
He seems quite close to Periera who probably translates for him. Dalot can always translate too. I don't know if that's it. He probably just needs time to adjust and get on everyone's wavelengths.

Red_toad

As they drill on the training pitch and he's not the only Portuguese speaking player it'd be addressed in training. When he's linking up with a fellow native speaker on the pitch, they'd communicate in addition to this. Players aren't just left to work it out for themselves. Jose speaking the same language didn't seem to do him any favours to be honest.

OzKangarooney

I just don't see it. He is an okayish player, but not better than Herrera, so why we spent 50-60m on him is a bit beyond my understanding.
Herrera wouldn't have made a few of the passes Fred made vs Huddersfield, he probably wouldn't have lost the ball as much either, i reckon if Fred had a constant run and got used to the pace he would improve (obviously) and be better than Herrera, but at the same time they have different qualities so i wouldn't want to compare them too much

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As they drill on the training pitch and he's not the only Portuguese speaking player it'd be addressed in training. When he's linking up with a fellow native speaker on the pitch, they'd communicate in addition to this. Players aren't just left to work it out for themselves. Jose speaking the same language didn't seem to do him any favours to be honest.
Ole hasn't had much time with the team, many of the reporters at the match reported that Ole was telling Fred to use Dalot and being ignored. I thought that may be a result of a language issue. Clearly you disagree. Fair enough.

Unless the Old Trafford press pack are part of a conspiracy to make Fred sound hard headed Ole was giving Fred instructions that weren't being carried out. That must change. Maybe as Ole has more chances to work with the team at Carrington it will? I hope so cos I think Ole has the right idea about football and I think he can make Fred more effective than he's been for us to date.

UpWithRivers

Im on the just dont see it camp. It looks like he has the ability- passing, dribbling, tackling, shooting but all a level down from top players. He just moves and feels wrong. Lindeof always looked like he could be a good defender if he settled and improved. Fred just doesnt have it i fear. Hope Im proved wrong.

lysglimt

Scout
My problem is that I simply don't see what he is supposed to bring to the team. He loses the ball way too easily to be a defensive midfielder, and he can't pick enough good passes going forward. And when he runs with the ball it always looks like he is losing control of the ball any second (and eventually he does)

Giggsyking

there is something about him, you see his dribble and long passes and say, he is a really good player. Then he make a stupid pass or lose the ball in a dangerous area and you say, there it is. I hope it is just adapting time.

Eplel

there is something about him, you see his dribble and long passes and say, he is a really good player. Then he make a stupid pass or lose the ball in a dangerous area and you say, there it is. I hope it is just adapting time.
In 2 words, Brazilian midfielder.

Johan07

It's no wonder you think Fred is bad defensively when you refuse to accept that actual defending like making tackles and intercepting opposition passes don't count towards being good in that role. The praise that Kante got when he played there for Leicester and Chelsea and Herrera got when he won our POTY in that position must have blown your mind.

Fred did play in a defensive role for Shaktar and the best available source for City news on the Internet said that Guardiola wanted him to play defensive midfielder for his team too. What exactly is your rebuttal to these points? Just insisting they aren't true and everyone is wrong but you? Do you think the youtuber who made a 17 minute video about Fred which repeatedly emphasised his defensive skills and how he was most useful in deep positions did no research and just made it all up? Do you also think that Sam Lee lied about Guardiola wanting Fred to replace Fernandinho for City? Was the Shaktar president also lying when he went on record that City bid for Fred in January? When sites like whoscored.com take objective measures of a player's contribution to a football match and use them characterise Fred's strongest attribute as being his 'defensive contributions' are they also wrong or lying?

Your arguments are ridiculous and seem to agenda driven rather than based on any fair assessment of the player. Clicking your profile tells me you have Fred as your lowest rated player this season with a clearly unbiased 3.2... massively out of sync with this forum's average rating of the player. Go ahead and tell me everyone on this forum is also shit and wrong for not agreeing with you about how terrible Fred is.
He absolutely did not. He played in a double pivot together with Taras Stepanenko, who had the defensive responsibility. In no way should Fred ever play as a #6 for United. This from someone who has watched him regularly for several years playing for Shakhtar.

settembrini

He absolutely did not. He played in a double pivot together with Taras Stepanenko, who had the defensive responsibility. In no way should Fred ever play as a #6 for United. This from someone who has watched him regularly for several years playing for Shakhtar.
If you think that Fred did not have defensive responsibility when playing for Shaktar then you might have watched the games but you did not understand what you were seeing.

You yourself even posted earlier in the thread that: "Stepanenko was the more defensive-minded, but there was not much of a difference." Which is wrong in itself (both players shared the defensive responsibility) but still more accurate than what you posted above.

If Fred is not to play defensively for United then we should not have bought him. He is worse than all our current midfielders (apart from Matic) as an offensive player. We could have saved ourselves £50m and used Herrera, Pereira or Fellaini in a midfield three instead, or spent that money on any of the countless midfielders who would play the position better than Fred can.

Johan07

If you think that Fred did not have defensive responsibility when playing for Shaktar then you might have watched the games but you did not understand what you were seeing.

You yourself even posted earlier in the thread that: "Stepanenko was the more defensive-minded, but there was not much of a difference." Which is wrong in itself (both players shared the defensive responsibility) but still more accurate than what you posted above.

If Fred is not to play defensively for United then we should not have bought him. He is worse than all our current midfielders (apart from Matic) as an offensive player. We could have saved ourselves £50m and used Herrera, Pereira or Fellaini in a midfield three instead, or spent that money on any of the countless midfielders who would play the position better than Fred can.
I did not state that at all. Every player in modern football has defensive responsibilties.
But Fred was never a great defensive player, even in the Ukrainian league. He worked great together with Stepanenko who is a terrific defensive player. Its why the combo worked out so well at Shakhtar. A successful double pivot more often than not consist of one offensive and one defensive-minded player. Organisation-wise they will have the same tasks but they will carry them out differently.
You were and I guess still is arguing that we should play Fred as a sole # 6 and essentially let him play between the CBs in the possession phase, and protecting the CBs in the defensive phase.
That was what I was arguing against. Defensively he is not nearly good enough positionally to play there to begin with. You also need some size in that role, especially in the PL.
Also his passing game (which is one of his strengths even if it can be risky at times even further up the field) is far to risky to be employed in the position.
You would also remove his pressing game which is another of his strengths, since a sole #6 is much more about positional play than pressing.
Its just a really dumb idea. It would even be better to put Pogba there.

OldTrevil

I think he would be a great player in the right system, whether he will get there with United is another matter and depends a lot on who the long term manager is and the system they implement.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Erratic is the word for this lad. I guess it's been spotty appearances in an under performing team, but I hope he can string some games together, because I think he can be an asset to the midfield. He's going to need someone better behind him, though.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's going to need this season to just settle in and get to grips with the PL. There's a good player in there, just needs time. Playing under Ole will do him good and if we bring someone in like Poch then I think we'll have a very good player on our hands.

Canagel

Never was a good fit with Pogba
Have you ever wondered how Man City can fit two silvas in midfield and still look compact defensively?
And Fred isn't even as creative as them two.
The dynamic between him and Pogba is fine. Just needs time to adjust to the pace of the league.

el3mel

Have you ever wondered how Man City can fit two silvas in midfield and still look compact defensively?
And Fred isn't even as creative as them two.
The dynamic between him and Pogba is fine. Just needs time to adjust to the pace of the league.
Fernandinho.

Much like Casemiro in Madrid btw.

Problem with Fred is he's not even that creative anyway. If we're asking about giving chances why it should be him and not Periera for example ?

Canagel

Fernandinho.

Much like Casemiro in Madrid btw.

Problem with Fred is he's not even that creative anyway. If we're asking about giving chances why it should be him and not Periera for example ?
And here we have Herrera to do that. The poster had issue with Pogba and Fred coexisting together in midfield (probably because we'd be too open defensively) so I just gave that example.
Our best midfield imo = Herrera , Fred, Pogba
Herrera = DM
Fred = box to box
Pogba = creator

Matic back up to Herrera and Periera back up to Herrera and Fred whichever postion needs filling.

el3mel

And here we have Herrera to do that. The poster had issue with Pogba and Fred coexisting together in midfield (probably because we'd be too open defensively) so I just gave that example.
Our best midfield imo = Herrera , Fred, Pogba
Herrera = DM
Fred = box to box
Pogba = creator

Matic back up to Herrera and Periera back up to Herrera and Fred whichever postion needs filling.
Herrera is a better box to box than Fred and more creative with his shooting and passing. Fred is just a downgrade on Herrera in everything in this position so not sure why he should be the b2b while Herrera resorts to defensive side only.

Even as a DMF earlier Herrera was making forward runs to make through balls when he was partnered with Pogba which usually leaves our midfield open. He's attack minded.

We still a need a DMF of the type of Casemiro, Kante and Fernandinho.

And as I said, currently Fred isn't as creative as Silvas to play him there while the current midfield combo of Matic-Herrera- Pogba is working nicely.

After the several chances he gets and proved absolutely nothing in them, I don't get why he should be the one getting chances and not Periera. Why is he ahead of Periera in the picking order ?

Canagel

Herrera is a better box to box than Fred and more creative with his shooting and passing. Fred is just a downgrade on Herrera in everything in this position so not sure why he should be the b2b while Herrera resorts to defensive side only.

Even as a DMF earlier Herrera was making forward runs to make through balls when he was partnered with Pogba which usually loves our midfield open. He's attack minded.

We still a need a DMF of the type of Casemiro, Kante and Fernandinho.

And as I said, currently Fred isn't as creative as Silvas to play him there while the current midfield combo of Matic-Herrera- Pogba is working nicely.

After the several chances he gets and proved absolutely nothing in them, I don't get why he should be the one getting chances and not Periera. Why is he ahead of Periera in the picking order ?
disagree. Fred is much better passer and much more creative than Herrera. Some of the passes he was making last match I've seen only Pogba do in our team.
Herrera likes to pass backwards a lot but I want him in the DM because he can win tackles. Very well. His stats were comparable with Kante in 16/17 - not saying he's that good but he does it better than anyone else in our team.
Periera will get his chance but we must always have two creative minded midfielders in our team. That's why I don't like Matic, Herrera and Pogba or even worse Matic, Fellaini and Herrera/Pogba as Jose did on occasions. Absolutely mad.
So if he's going to play it must be next to Herrera and either Fred/Pogba next to him.

Last edited:

el3mel

disagree. Fred is much better passer and much more creative than Herrera. Some of the passes he was making last match I've seen only Pogba do in our team.
Herrera likes to pass backwards a lot but I want him in the DM because he can win tackles. Very well. His stats were comparable with Kante in 16/17 - not saying he's that good but he does it better than anyone else in our team.
Fred has good short passing but I don't notice anything extraordinary in his passing range. Some labelled him as our best passer, this is exaggerating imo. Herrera had some amazing through balls in him that caused some goals for us.

Last season destroyed Herrera reputation in the team imo, but the season before it he assisted 11 goals.

settembrini

I did not state that at all. Every player in modern football has defensive responsibilties.
But Fred was never a great defensive player, even in the Ukrainian league. He worked great together with Stepanenko who is a terrific defensive player. Its why the combo worked out so well at Shakhtar. A successful double pivot more often than not consist of one offensive and one defensive-minded player. Organisation-wise they will have the same tasks but they will carry them out differently.
You were and I guess still is arguing that we should play Fred as a sole # 6 and essentially let him play between the CBs in the possession phase, and protecting the CBs in the defensive phase.
That was what I was arguing against. Defensively he is not nearly good enough positionally to play there to begin with. You also need some size in that role, especially in the PL.
Also his passing game (which is one of his strengths even if it can be risky at times even further up the field) is far to risky to be employed in the position.
You would also remove his pressing game which is another of his strengths, since a sole #6 is much more about positional play than pressing.
Its just a really dumb idea. It would even be better to put Pogba there.
You highlighted the part of my post that said Fred played a defensive role at Shaktar and said he didn't. He blatantly did, which is obvious to anyone who watched him play and I even found a post of yours saying that there was "not much of a difference" between Fred and Stepanenko in terms of their teams defence.

If we were to play a 4-2-3-1 then Fred should play as one of the two defensive midfielders but if we are playing a 4-3-3 then he should play instead of Matic. Your objections to him playing that role seem based on pre-conceived notions about how you think the position should be played. The ideas that you need 'size' and can't press in the position is nonsense. Kante has been the best defensive midfielder in the league over recent seasons and he is shorter than Fred and presses like a madman.

Canagel

Fred has good short passing but I don't notice anything extraordinary in his passing range. Some labelled him as our best passer, this is exaggerating imo. Herrera had some amazing through balls in him that caused some goals for us.

Last season destroyed Herrera reputation in the team imo, but the season before it he assisted 11 goals.
. One for Mata in Anfield and one for Rashford against Chelsea. That's it . That's not enough to make him creative. Herrera might do it once or twice every season but we wanted it more regularly. That's why Fred was bought. Because he can do it multiple times in a game. Hopefully

Herrera's natural game is closing down players, pressing, winning tackles and being a nuisance basically. He should stay in DM

el3mel

. One for Mata in Anfield and one for Rashford against Chelsea. That's it . That's not enough to make him creative. Herrera might do it once or twice every season but we wanted it more regularly. That's why Fred was bought. Because he can do it multiple times in a game. Hopefully

Herrera's natural game is closing down players, pressing, winning tackles and being a nuisance basically. He should stay in DM
As I said Herrera had 11 assists in the year he got the POTY even though he played in a defensive position. He's definitely very attacking minded. Last season destroyed his reputation a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.