5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

He must stay in the team for Bournemouth. They'll come and try to attack us which will give him more space to showcase his skills. One game in, one game out will not do him any good.

el3mel

He must stay in the team for Bournemouth. They'll come and try to attack us which will give him more space to showcase his skills. One game in, one game out will not do him any good.
The players who deserve to play ahead him should play ahead of him. If he wants to show he's better than them he needs to show it when he gets a chance. Currently Herrera, Pogba and Matic shouldn't be dropped for an underperforming player like him.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Thought he did well overall today. Played some crisp passes and kept the tempo. Played some sloppy balls too but you can't blame him when he spent the entire season on the bench. That will only improve once he starts regularly.

ash_86

He looks bad when he has time on the ball. His quick passing to start a counter attack is brilliant to watch. He is coming from a team that moves around a lot with give and goes. Just needs to settle down a bit more. Quality is there.

steakpie

Some of these comments are ridiculous.

We played superb in the first half and Fred was at the heart of it.
He had Mata out wide ahead of him which wasn't working, Lingard who was quiet and Pogba was always coming deep from the wide left position. This wasn't the ideal situation for him to feed them. His through passes are excellent.

He is slightly sloppy at times but nothing extreme.

Canagel

The players who deserve to play ahead him should play ahead of him. If he wants to show he's better than them he needs to show it when he gets a chance. Currently Herrera, Pogba and Matic shouldn't be dropped for an underperforming player like him.
If it was a big game I would drop him for Herrera to add a bit more defensive solidity but at home we need to be expansive and more creative. Fred can pass really well. This is perfect opportunity to give him chances as we've got easier run of games. Then make a decision for Spurs game depending on how he plays.

el3mel

If it was a big game I would drop him for Herrera to add a bit more defensive solidity but at home we need to be expansive and more creative. Fred can pass really well. This is perfect opportunity to give him chances as we've got easier run of games. Then make a decision for Spurs game depending on how he plays.
In big teams he needs to earn that chance. Why play him and not someone who's in better form and deserves it far more him ? In big games you don't get many chances. You need to take them.

R'hllor

They need to work a lot with him, seems he thinks he has more time on the ball.

Canagel

In big teams he needs to earn that chance. Why play him and not someone who's in better form and deserves it far more him ? In big games you don't get many chances. You need to take them.
One game here and next game out and then 2/3 games later back in is not the way. All I'm saying is there's a run of winnable games and a good opportunity to impress. Ive watched Herrera for the last 4 years , he's very good defensively but he lacks creativity. Fred's skillset is suited to games like these. That's all. He's not been shocking. He's not costing the team in any way. he needs time to adjust to the pace of the league and I don't see that happening on the bench.

el3mel

One game here and next game out and then 2/3 games later back in is not the way. All I'm saying is there's a run of winnable games and a good opportunity to impress. Ive watched Herrera for the last 4 years , he's very good defensively but he lacks creativity. Fred's skillset is suited to games like these. That's all. He's not been shocking. He's not costing the team in any way. he needs time to adjust to the pace of the league and I don't see that happening on the bench.
He needs to show us he deserves more chances to get into the team. So far I really can't see it. We were fuming at Lukaku and Matic starting while they're shite and others deserved chances to play.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not good enough defensively to be partnered with Pogba, especially with the way we play our midfield three, in that the player in Fred's role is much deeper than the other 8/10.

Having said all of that, he has got the attributes to play the deeper role. He did it well at Shakhtar in a 4231.

He just needs to compose himself a bit more. He made some gorgeous passes between the lines, which is a big strength of his. He's just quite sloppy in possession, at times.

It is his first season, and to be honest, he hasn't had that much game time and a run of games this season.

Once he has that, then it's pretty hard to make an accurate assessment.

yamo123x

Dont give up on him yet. Needs a run of games, he seems to be trying too hard at teh mo.At shakhtar he was known for charging runs forward with the ball and brilliant through balls..we have not seen this yet...he needs time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He played really well in the first half, but then made a silly mistake at the end of the half. He needs to keep his concentration levels high.

He got subbed and the game didn’t change at all, if anything Huddersfield were playing just as well until Pogba got the 2nd.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Pereira has been pretty underwhelming when given a chance this season, but it begs the question, could we had Pereira take up a squad role rather than Fred, who cost a fair bit of money?
Perira played as a dm and then sat on the bench after one poor performance, he's never played as an attacking midfielder or box to box role that Fred has been playing, which might suit him better.

Fracture90

Wouldn't say he was bad, but more of a case him being good but didn't show as much as the other's did. A bit sloppy with possession and some passes here and there but that's to be expected considering he's still finding his ground with the team. Got high hopes for him when this team gets used to this new system.

Aloysius's Back 3

One of the problems I have seen so far is his intention to make a quick pass.

He does this no matter the situation & he needs to think before he makes a pass. He is one of our midfielders that makes a forward pass - therefore needs to keep a tempo that the whole of the attack & defence can handle.

To me sometimes he is playing at 120% speed - needs to tone it down.

Litch

Might be me and I'm not being funny but I'm really not sure what game some were watching....

Loublaze

ATLien
A few sloppy passes and poor awareness at one point aside I thought he had a good game. Too early to judge him so harshly FFS

Trizy

I think there is something there but at the moment Herrera is much better.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
A few sloppy passes and poor awareness at one point aside I thought he had a good game. Too early to judge him so harshly FFS
He doesn't look comfortable on the ball and is out of sync with his teammates. That back pass shows no awareness of what's happening around him. Also sloppy defending nearly led to a goal. Maybe he just needs a run of game, but I did expect better even so.

Kostov

Only Manchester United are stupid enough to pay 50 fecking millions for this guy.

Instead of paying that sum for Fred, we could have just given Pereira a chance. Stupid, stupid decision.

Ashley R1+O

Not good enough defensively to be partnered with Pogba, especially with the way we play our midfield three
Would you say Herrera is good enough defensively though? I just don't think this is on Fred nor Herrera. I think it is a Pogba thing. Obviously Pogba at the tip of the attack with no defensive responsibility is the ideal way to play the game of football with Pogba in the team. You just can't really adjust for the kinds of "errors" that Pogba makes (I put in quotations because they aren't always unforced errors, partly because of the risk/reward that he plays with) by playing a set formation.

For example, when I watched that game against Cardiff - the way Herrera plays, he's always looking to supplement Pogba when he is on the ball and trying to make things happen. Wheras Fred today was trying to join the attack in advance of Pogba and then he had to haul ass back into the shape and in that transitional washup Pogba just ends up wherever he ends up. He usually doesn't have a specific transitional role when we lose the ball. When Herrera came on he rarely goes beyond Pogba when Pogba is on the ball. He rarely moves into attacking lanes when Pogba is on the ball because he knows he's the guy who has to win it back. I just don't think Fred knows that, nor works at doing that yet. It is what it is.

I like Fred as a player but he needs to play in that Pogba role to acclimatize to this time imo. Conducting the attack with no strings attached. Plus as he presses well, in the final third it would assist the front players. But Pogba is there and you couldn't really drop Pogba now, which is fine. It's kind of the Morgan Schneiderlin problem from Jose's first season "Pogba is here now, so you either play water carrier or leave. You won't get game time playing box to box which is your comfortable role" and MS left, no hard feelings.

Still don't know how this guy cost 50m though, proper bizarre stuff. He's so raw. I like him though and I think he'll fit in at some point and find his role but another weirdity of the market.

MyDevil

I wouldn't write him off yet as he has some key moments. Can see he works hard. Just need a run of games.

Loublaze

ATLien
Only Manchester United are stupid enough to pay 50 fecking millions for this guy.

Instead of paying that sum for Fred, we could have just given Pereira a chance. Stupid, stupid decision.
Our most stupid midfield signings in recent years for me have been Schneiderlin and paying over the odds for fecking Fellaini on transfer deadline day. Fred hasn't played enough to be properly considered a bad signing

el3mel

Fred would have been decent backup in midfield for 20-30m. The fact we paid 50m, making him 4th most expensive player in our history is the ridiculous thing. The fees we pay for some of these players make them better than what they actually are.

Bwuk

Fred would have been decent backup in midfield for 20-30m. The fact we paid 50m, making him 4th most expensive player in our history is the ridiculous thing. The fees we pay for some of these players make them better than what they actually are.
I don’t think he’d even be worth that. He’s not a £20m upgrade on what we had. If we’d given Fred’s minutes this year to Andreas, Fellaini, McTominay etc, would we really of missed anything?

I think he could fit certain sides but his tunnel vision will let him down.

el3mel

I don’t think he’d even be worth that. He’s not a £20m upgrade on what we had. If we’d given Fred’s minutes this year to Andreas, Fellaini, McTominay etc, would we really of missed anything?

I think he could fit certain sides but his tunnel vision will let him down.
Actually think Periera deserves the minutes he's getting right now, not that he's great, but at least we need to see him. Can't see a reason Fred is ahead of him in the picking order except for the fee paid for him.

Over time I'm now confident enough to think he'll be a decent player for us but it will take this season for him to get fully adjusted to the English game and to us in general.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's quite pacy and has a good dribble in him. If He can put those into use and "attack the space" ala Anderson I feel like He's going to be really useful for us.

peridigm

Our most stupid midfield signings in recent years for me have been Schneiderlin and paying over the odds for fecking Fellaini on transfer deadline day. Fred hasn't played enough to be properly considered a bad signing
Some of the people in here are clueless. He's played 8 matches and about 500 minutes. I don't understand why everyone is giving him shit for his game today. He'll be phased in and become a regular for us.

Dante

Average bang
His touch is fine. It's his strength that's the issue.

Every touch a Premier League player makes is done under pressure. If you lack the physicality to stand up to that pressure, it makes your touch look bad.

Fred looks like he'll be good enough in the long run. But if he were to sit it out for 3 months in order to hit the gym, I wouldn't have any problem with that.

cheeky_backheel

Thought he did well overall today. Played some crisp passes and kept the tempo. Played some sloppy balls too but you can't blame him when he spent the entire season on the bench. That will only improve once he starts regularly.
Why do you guys like to peddle lies just to suit your narrative? He has made 10 appearances in the PL with 7 starts, plus 3 CL starts. That is like playing in half of our games and far from spending entire season on the bench like you are claiming.

The more accurate assessment is that he hasn't taken his chances to earn his spot. May he needs more time to adapt to PL but lack of playing time is not a valid excuse.

Andersons Dietician

That outside of the boot pass he played to Mata was beautiful. He has good moments and bad in games but overall think he might turn out to be a decent buy for us once we settle in to a proper pattern and have a fitter and more confident team.

Red_toad

Had a good first half. Can see there's a good player in there. Lads getting too many negative comments that aren't really warranted on that performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.