6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

I like that he doesn't mind getting on the ball despite being under pressure. He's made mistakes in the past and it's easy to hide and not risk doing so again but he doesn't. That's something. Can't fault his attitude and that's a good foundation to go on.

I have my doubts but hopefully this little run he's got going is the start of something.

mu4c_20le

He makes me miss Fellaini. Both incredibly limited on the ball but at least one of them can be a goal threat. I'm convinced he's only being played because of his physical presence.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s dreadful.

We might as well have played a statue on the first half. Just because he started resembling a footballer in the second half - in that he actually made a few forward passes - doesn’t mean he’s “good”.
Was waiting for the first needless negative post :lol:

Played well tonight.

E-mal

Wondering what the rest of you guys watched. He was poor and the difference between him and McTominay was glaringly obvious today.
We need an upgrade and fast.

Andersons Dietician

He’s dreadful.

We might as well have played a statue on the first half. Just because he started resembling a footballer in the second half - in that he actually made a few forward passes - doesn’t mean he’s “good”.
Interesting... see it completely different from yourself and thought he was easily one of our best players in either half.

Tribec

He and McTominay are starting to build up a partnership in the middle of the park, they cover each other well. I think this run of games has helped him. If he carries on improving we will see a decent player for sure. He won't be one of the best in the league, but he'll do a very good for us. As it is, he's doing OK right now and for all the negative comments last year, we should at least be giving him some praise where it's due.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Fred is the player with the widest range of opinions after a game I've ever seen. From world class to complete shite. Is he like an indie movie?

Kag

Was waiting for the first needless negative post :lol:

Played well tonight.
But he didn’t play well in the first half. McTominay played well. That’s what playing well looks like. Fred just ran around. He started to play better in the second half but let’s not pretend that he’s up to the required standard. There’s a reason Ole is setting us up to play as we are and it’s because the lads in midfield aren’t good enough on the ball.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He played very well tonight. It's not easy playing in a midfield 2, especially when your No.10 in Lingard is so anonymous.

He followed Solskjaer's instructions to the letter.

He battled very hard, transitioned the ball on fast & was just as big an influence in stopping Chelsea's midfield as McTominay was.

He needs to getting some credit for his performance tonight.

Green_Red

I felt like hes been getting better the last 4 or 5 games. Good tonight. Hopefully he is finding his feet because if the player we thought we'd signed comes out of this lad then we'll be buzzing.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
But he didn’t play well in the first half. McTominay played well. That’s what playing well looks like. Fred just ran around. He started to play better in the second half but let’s not pretend that he’s up to the required standard. There’s a reason Ole is setting us up to play as we are and it’s because the lads in midfield aren’t good enough on the ball.
Come on, McTominay wasn't that much better than Fred at all. I saw McTominay have numerous loose touches and lapses in concentration. Nobody seems to be mentioning that though.

Fred done what would have been asked of him perfectly tonight. His work-rate was immense, you belittling it calling it 'running around' is too much. He was in a 2 with McTominay so they were a pair together. The fact that Chelsea's midfield never got in the game tonight is full credit to both of them.

McTominay didn't stop Chelsea's midfield on his own, Fred was just as important tonight with his harassing and tackling. His passing could be more expressive i agree, but look at the circumstances, there wasn't much in front of him with Lingard having such a poor game was there?

So he kept it simple and moved the ball on quickly instead, seems like the right decision to me. He wasn't caught on the ball was he?

Overall i thought he played very well.

simmee

Come on, McTominay wasn't that much better than Fred at all. I saw McTominay have numerous loose touches and lapses in concentration. Nobody seems to be mentioning that though.

Fred done what would have been asked of him perfectly tonight. His work-rate was immense, you belittling it calling it 'running around' is too much. He was in a 2 with McTominay so they were a pair together. The fact that Chelsea's midfield never got in the game tonight is full credit to both of them.

McTominay didn't stop Chelsea's midfield on his own, Fred was just as important tonight with his harassing and tackling. His passing could be more expressive i agree, but look at the circumstances, there wasn't much in front of him with Lingard having such a poor game was there?

So he kept it simple and moved the ball on quickly instead, seems like the right decision to me. He wasn't caught on the ball was he?

Overall i thought he played very well.
Good summary. He's been really good the last couple of games. Feels like he is giving the ball away a lot less as well, but haven't checked the stats on that.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Good summary. He's been really good the last couple of games. Feels like he is giving the ball away a lot less as well, but haven't checked the stats on that.
I haven't checked the stats also but i haven't noticed him caught in possession anything like before. He's definitely improved.

It's funny how the media influences people's opinions. If you look in the media you will find him being ripped to shreds no doubt but it's all nonsense.

He's following the team's orders, playing a professional performance for the good of the team.

He's looking a lot more relaxed and settled now. He's moving possession on much faster, keeping it simple a lot more.

I do think there's more to come from him in the attacking phase, but he seems to be following Solskjaer's instructions at the minute.

It's also totally normal anyway to be keeping it simple when you're playing in a counter set-up, especially in a midfield 2 where a loose loss of possession can lead to a chance at any moment.

One things for sure, there's no denying we look very solid as a base with him & McTominay. It's no coincidence that teams are finding it hard to break us down when they're together in this counter setup we play.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Poor.

He never opens himself up properly to receive the ball, and his touch is too inconsistent.

He works hard, but for 50m it’s ridiculous how limited he is.

Litch

I think it's hard when you start poorly for Utd as the fans can be really unforgiving irrespective of even when there's clearly improvements, they'll always focus on the negative. Fred isn't the answer but neither was Phil, Butt, Park, Fletch, Fortune et al but all contributed and supported those players that were. We need a midfielder that compliments what we have and push Pogs further forward....

Stuff the Goat

a Farney man in Galway, next stop America.
Fred is the one of the worst mf's I have seen at OT. I cannot see how he can improve to the required level..... time to sell!
My post a month ago...... well, I was WRONG!... Fred, in the last 3 games has played well, improving each time. .... no Robo or Keano, but serious improvement .. well done Fred, keep it up !.. I like what I'm seeing!

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I think it's hard when you start poorly for Utd as the fans can be really unforgiving irrespective of even when there's clearly improvements, they'll always focus on the negative. Fred isn't the answer but neither was Phil, Butt, Park, Fletch, Fortune et al but all contributed and supported those players that were. We need a midfielder that compliments what we have and push Pogs further forward....
Exactly, there's a lot of positives there to build upon. His main qualities imo; high work-rate, strong mentality, combative, press-resistant, willingness to follow the manager's orders, two-footedness, doesn't hide from the ball & also moves the ball on quickly.

Those are valuable qualities to have imo.

I do think there's more to come from him in the build-up phase, creating etc but he's following the manager's orders right now, keeping it simple in there.

arthurka

Worked hard and was available for a pass all night long. But having a midfielder that can't pass the ball longer than 5 metres is baffling.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Worked hard and was available for a pass all night long. But having a midfielder that can't pass the ball longer than 5 metres is baffling.
How many times did McTominay pass over 5 yards tonight? Do you not think it was part of Solskjaer's instructions?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wish he was a better footballer, I really do. I say that because his work ethic and energy levels are absolutely ludicrous. I haven't seen anyone maintain a press till the last minute like he does. He's everywhere on the pitch

Fred is the player with the widest range of opinions after a game I've ever seen. From world class to complete shite. Is he like an indie movie?
There’s not a single person who has ever uttered the words world class and Fred in the same sentence.

The range of options goes from utterly crap to just about serves a purpose in a midfield three.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I think he's done pretty well the last couple of games. Don't reckon he should ever be more than a very expensive squad player, but he's not as outright abysmal as he first seemed.

arthurka

How many times did McTominay pass over 5 yards tonight? Do you not think it was part of Solskjaer's instructions?
Fred tried but it never came off. 5-10 behind the target or not even close. He has got a great engine but the rest is a bit meh.

Kostov

He’s not been as bad in the previous 2 games, but feck me, he’s an abysmal signing. Very very average footballer and worse than McTominay who we got for free.

UncleBob

Would love to know why you thought his performance was 'crap' tonight?

We completely nullified Chelsea's attacking threat by coincidence i imagine.
Wouldn't say crap.

He's just a complete liability when he does get the ball.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Fred tried but it never came off. 5-10 behind the target or not even close. He has got a great engine but the rest is a bit meh.
So you never saw McTominay pass over 5 yards once, yet criticise Fred for attempting for it not coming off. Considering how well we performed, with Fred & McTominay in midfield, do you not think the rest of their midfield duties were a lot more important to the victory tonight?

RedIan

I dont rate this guy at all. He contributes little. Gets caught in possession or gives the ball away. Rarely starts an attack or gets a n assist.. He’s worse than an average prem midfielder.. Occasionally has a wild shot. Nothing positive to say other than he runs about a lot.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Wouldn't say crap.

He's just a complete liability when he does get the ball.
That's strange, i had the opposite opinion. I never saw him get caught in possession once tonight, he looked very composed out there to me. He's definitely improved in this respect.

Do you not think your memory of his first performances with us are affecting your opinion now?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I dont rate this guy at all. He contributes little. Gets caught in possession or gives the ball away. Rarely starts an attack or gets a n assist.. He’s worse than an average prem midfielder.. Occasionally has a wild shot. Nothing positive to say other than he runs about a lot.
Please show me him getting caught in possession tonight?

He was playing deep in a midfield 2 tonight, in a very organised Man Utd performance.

Since when do DMs start an attack or get assists?

If you think all it takes to form an important cog in controlling a confident Chelsea midfield at Stamford Bridge is 'running around a lot' then i don't know what else to say.

cyberman

Hes a strange one. He's very good tactically in keeping team shape and is at his best keeping it simple.
As soon as he moves the ball forward he gets sloppy with his passing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Would love to know why you thought his performance was 'crap' tonight?

We completely nullified Chelsea's attacking threat by coincidence i imagine.
You have low standards if you think otherwise. He's very ineffective when we're on the ball.

DRM

That period in-between Chelsea scoring and rashfords freekick, I don't know what role he was playing but that's his best position. He was constantly driving forward and passing the ball between the lines. Looked really impressive. Anyone else see that?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You have low standards if you think otherwise. He's very ineffective when we're on the ball.
It's not that, i value the work off the ball just as highly. Fred was very impressive tonight off the ball, along with McTominay, along with the rest of the team. That was where we done our best work, where we really won the match i thought.

Look at the type of set-up we played tonight, that lends itself to keeping it simple on the ball. Especially when you're playing in a midfield 2, where a loose loss of possession can lead to a chance at any moment. That's why i don't put much importance on his work with the ball tonight, as he was following Solskjaer's instructions. When he had the ball, i saw him try to transition it on as fast as he could. That was the main thing for me.

He was concentrated the full match, i rarely saw him caught in possession (if at all). Yet he was always in position to stop Chelsea. So he's improved in that respect.

His energy levels, pressing the Chelsea midfield the full 90 was really impressive. Him & McTominay never allowed the Chelsea midfield to settle on the ball once. It's no coincidence that Chelsea couldn't create anything since they couldn't get Jorginho into the game.

There's probably other parts i forgot to mention.

It was an all-round solid performance from a cm at a tough ground.

I think he deserves just as much credit as the rest of the team imo. They both played very well together, contributing to an important victory. It's unfair to see the McTominay thread where everyone is calling him sensational and motm, yet here the general opinion is Fred played crap.

His work tonight won't be underappreciated from his teammates though, that's for sure.

You really think that's an objective assessment of their performances tonight?

Last edited:

UncleBob

That's strange, i had the opposite opinion. I never saw him get caught in possession once tonight, he looked very composed out there to me. He's definitely improved in this respect.

Do you not think your memory of his first performances with us are affecting your opinion now?
Nope.

Nothing about caught in possession

Status
Not open for further replies.