Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I got to say, the end of the Newcastle game where Fred & Pogba were playing together looked really class & I can't wait to see how they do together potentially against arsenal.

I hope Fred & Pogba are able to play together in a new way & absolutely tear down arteta a new one.

I do think Fred being left footed that he has to play on the left though & Pogba plays on the right - I think it's better anyway because it opens up the channels from midfield a bit like how LVG wanted left & right footed ball playing CB's in defence.

Can't wait. :drool:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
From zero to hero. I think he's the most improved player of the season.

And also he's really due some rest. Tiredness will eventually affect his game quality.

ben.heff10

He's been brilliant recently and to be honest I'm not sure he's done developing yet. There's a whole attacking side to his game that he showed at Shakhtar that he hasn't really shown here yet, I'm sure as he continues to grow in confidence and we get a consistent midfield 3 sorted he'll start looking to influence the game higher up. Hoping it's Matic, Fred, Pogba in a 3 against Arsenal - would love to see Fred a little higher up alongside PP

Bwuk

I’d say that was arguably his best performance for United yesterday.

meamth

Well what do you know, another highly rated player scouted by the club suddenly turned it around.

Fred is another case to prove that caf has no patience whatsoever.

Been backing him, believed that he needs time to adjust himself to the premier league.

What we have now is a fantastic baller.

Fosu-Mens

Good overall performance, but you can still see him misplacing simple passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas. And needs to be told that he should stop wasting possession by hopeless shots.

Fosu-Mens

Wow, if you can be negative about Fred after last night's near perfect CM performance, I'm doubtful you'll ever warm to him.
If Burnley had scored on one of his less than fortunate involvements, he would have been slated. Just because it ended well this game, does not necessarily mean that it is not something to be worried about. And this happens every game.

I think that a central midfielder should seldom lose the ball outside the final third with it being their fault. A misplaced pass or not being aware of his surroundings makes for counter-attacks against.

Falcow

Wow, if you can be negative about Fred after last night's near perfect CM performance, I'm doubtful you'll ever warm to him.
I might actually be Fred's biggest fan but to be fair to Fosu-mens there were a few misplaced passes last night and he did lose the ball on the edge of the box towards the end when Burnley were pushing for an equaliser but otherwise was very good again last night.

The sheer amount of work that he gets through and the fact that he always always makes himself available to receive the ball are what I like most about him, I think he is a little dynamo.

Litch

Mate, there are a few on here that can never be wrong despite what is blatantly obvious for most who are fair, balanced and with no agenda can see. Given how he started here, the negativity from fans, pundits and ex players, the pressure of the shirt and price tag, I love how he's turned his career around here when bigger names we have signed threw the towel in. Can't understand why some can't embrace that?

Pav1878

Thought he was excellent yesterday, great closing, getting to second balls and very good on the ball, looking for forward passes. Long may it continue.

Litch

If Burnley had scored on one of his less than fortunate involvements, he would have been slated. Just because it ended well this game, does not necessarily mean that it is not something to be worried about. And this happens every game.

I think that a central midfielder should seldom lose the ball outside the final third with it being their fault. A misplaced pass or not being aware of his surroundings makes for counter-attacks against.
I get it but if you have the same forensic view and energy of most, you'd see similar of even the best CM's. Let's not forget the context either. This is not City, Barca, Liverpool or PSG where you have 70%+ of procession and winning games before you've kicked a ball. That said, look at the stats and factual you are wrong, his pass percentage and pall retention is high. Yes there are misplaced passes but if you play forward especially against the low block, it comes with more risk and difficulty. You'd be arguing if he only played it sideways all the time. Just read on here that a fan posted he needs to improve his dribbling? Maybe in general some fans should start to focus on what we can do instead of always focusing on what we can't. Some fans are only happy when they are proven to be right even when it's to the detriment of the team. I'll never understand that mentality......

Last edited:
Then only Xavi, Iniesta or Scholes are good enough for you :)

Seriously though, the other option is a David Batty that plays low risk balls for 90 minutes against every side that sits back. You're kidding yourself if you don't think most deep CM's that try to play progressive football don't give balls away outside of the final third.

That's why a player like Fred should be played alongside a DM, because you want Fred trying to play progressive and break the lines.

Ekeke

Perfect performance :lol:

A DM needs to do more than pass and dribble the ball. He needs to be playing in Andreas role behind the striker if thats all hes going to do.

Perfect performance :lol:

A DM needs to do more than *pass and *dribble the ball. He needs to be playing in Andreas role behind the striker if thats all hes going to do.
Matic was DM, Fred was our deep lying CM.

*Not sure what more you wanted from Fred last night in a game in which we had 62% of the ball. Fred usually tops the stats as the United player who wins back most balls but he barely had chance to do that last night.

Ekeke

Matic was DM, Fred was our deep lying CM.

*Not sure what more you wanted from Fred last night in a game in which we had 62% of the ball. Fred usually tops the stats as the United player who wins back most balls but he barely had chance to do that last night.
Both are DMs. We played a 4-2-3-1. The 2 are DMs

Fred was bypassed a lot by Burnley's buildups where they shrugged him off because of how lightweight he is, he did try to make challenges he just wasnt successful. That tends to be how he is, he puts the work in but loses out a lot.

mancan92

I disagree. I think Fred is held to a much higher standard than Herrera ever was because of his fee and other reasons.

Herrera was also more injury prone and imo his forward passing and dribbling were of a lower standard. I do think Herrera was more clever at keeping possession in deeper areas of the pitch and was a more effective tackler.

Overall I think they're of similar quality, but Fred has a bit more flair.
But Herrera showed a higher level against better opposition. Fred has looked better but still hasn't played to the levels Herrera did. Its just the other day against Watford that he was awful. He has a long way to go for me to say he is an upgrade on Herrera.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His shooting is horrific :lol: but he's added a much needed freshness to the side and is consistently performing well.
He still needs to cut out the sloppiness occasionally.

Adamsk7

Wow what a turn around! He’s SO much sharper now than he was, which I guess is partially down to game time, and he’s spraying the ball around and winning the ball back with great gusto! He’s still got some things to iron out and some of his passes are still quite sloppily placed behind someone’s run BUT he’s starting to look like the player we paid £50m for.

He’ll always cost us on the counter because he actually likes to play balls between the lines and sometimes they will get intercepted - that’s just football. I’d rather him take the risk than not at all, he just needs to play the percentages a tad better.

Keep it up, Fred the Red!

Fosu-Mens

I get it but if you have the same forensic view and energy of most, you'd see similar of even the best CM's. Let's not forget the context either. This is not City, Barca, Liverpool or PSG where you have 70%+ of procession and winning games before you've kicked a ball. That said, look at the stats and factual you are wrong, his pass percentage and pall retention is high. Yes there are misplaced passes but if you play forward especially against the low block, it comes with more risk and difficulty. You'd be arguing if he only played it sideways all the time. Just read on here that a fan posted he needs to improve his dribbling? Maybe in general some fans should start to focus on what we can do instead of always focusing on what we can't. Some fans are only happy when they are proven to be right even when it's to the detriment of the team. I'll never understand that mentality......
Then only Xavi, Iniesta or Scholes are good enough for you :)

Seriously though, the other option is a David Batty that plays low risk balls for 90 minutes against every side that sits back. You're kidding yourself if you don't think most deep CM's that try to play progressive football don't give balls away outside of the final third.

That's why a player like Fred should be played alongside a DM, because you want Fred trying to play progressive and break the lines.

Half of his passes were perfect yesterday, accidentally most of these were the more difficult passes. Many of the other passes that were counted as completed was off by a meter, on the wrong foot or too hard/soft. I have no problem with a player misplacing a high reward/high-risk pass, it is the simple ones in the midfield that are dangerous.

He has "adjusted" to the EPL more, and he is more than able to follow the speed of the game. My main issue with Fred is still the same as it was before: Consistency in what he does when receiving the ball and passing it. If you get a 95% completion rate on your passes, but the 5% not completed leads to two dangerous situations, then I would rather have a lower completion rate with fewer dangerous situations against.

If Lingard, Rashford or Martial loses the ball, then it is not as dangerous, because most of our team would be behind the ball. If Fred or Pogba (when he plays at the CM position) loses the ball, then the situation is different. And why PP should not play as part of a midfield duo, but as a CAM or part of a midfield trio. If Fred managed to become consistent in his simple passing and reduce the number of mistakes (contain player instead of trying to win the ball in certain situations, not rush in pressing in 50/50 situations with no cover behind, not take so many shots from bad situations) then he could become a player good enough as a starter for a team challenging for the title.

Litch

Half of his passes were perfect yesterday, accidentally most of these were the more difficult passes. Many of the other passes that were counted as completed was off by a meter, on the wrong foot or too hard/soft. I have no problem with a player misplacing a high reward/high-risk pass, it is the simple ones in the midfield that are dangerous.

He has "adjusted" to the EPL more, and he is more than able to follow the speed of the game. My main issue with Fred is still the same as it was before: Consistency in what he does when receiving the ball and passing it. If you get a 95% completion rate on your passes, but the 5% not completed leads to two dangerous situations, then I would rather have a lower completion rate with fewer dangerous situations against.

If Lingard, Rashford or Martial loses the ball, then it is not as dangerous, because most of our team would be behind the ball. If Fred or Pogba (when he plays at the CM position) loses the ball, then the situation is different. And why PP should not play as part of a midfield duo, but as a CAM or part of a midfield trio. If Fred managed to become consistent in his simple passing and reduce the number of mistakes (contain player instead of trying to win the ball in certain situations, not rush in pressing in 50/50 situations with no cover behind, not take so many shots from bad situations) then he could become a player good enough as a starter for a team challenging for the title.
My original point remains the same. If you take a forensic approach to watching him and not the same energy elsewhere, you have an agenda. I don't know who your favourite Utd player is but I'd offer you the same critique and argument in any aspect of analysis of their game yet that's not it for me. For me in football it's also about the narrative and the story and I guess that's why 45 years ago I started supporting Utd given the clubs history.

I like the character of a player that arrived at Utd, put down by the manager at the time as not being good enough and not played, the fans some stating that he was the worst signing for 30 years, pundits and ex players belittling him etc. In the gaze of the football world, a player for the biggest team in world, that can't have been easy for him or his family. We have historically seen how that's affected higher profile players who buckled under that scrutiny at Utd and left.

I guess for me, I like how he's making all those people eat their words and that is very Man Utd.....write us off at your peril cause we will prove you wrong. I'm enjoying the Fred story and it's a reminder to us all in how to respond to adversity and challenges. Also sends a very positive message to younger players too.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

My original point remains the same. If you take a forensic approach to watching him and not the same energy elsewhere, you have an agenda. I don't know who your favourite Utd player is but I'd offer you the same critique and argument in any aspect of analysis of their game yet that's not it for me. For me in football it's also about the narrative and the story and I guess that's why 45 years ago I started supporting Utd given the clubs history.

I like the character of a player that arrived at Utd, put down by the manager at the time as not being good enough and not played, the fans some stating that he was the worst signing for 30 years, pundits and ex players belittling him etc. In the gaze of the football world, a player for the biggest team in world, that can't have been easy for him or his family. We have historically seen how that's affected higher profile players who buckled under that scrutiny at Utd and left.

I guess for me, I like how he's making all those people eat their words and that is very Man Utd.....write us off at your peril cause we will prove you wrong. I'm enjoying the Fred story and it's a reminder to us all in how to respond to adversity and challenges. Also sends a very positive message to younger players too.
I watch most of our players closely given that I, too, support the club. Why I can be perceived as being particularly interested in Fred, is because he, unlike a number of other players in the team can be a future starter, or close to, in a team fighting for major titles, if he is able to adjust/improve some of the previously mentioned issues with his game.

I think that top football today has become so technically dependent, that "effort" or "heart" alone is not enough. Sure, having a team of players without effort (Arsenal and West Ham this season, and our team last season) makes for bad results, but it is not the difference between a sixth and a second place in the league.

If he is able to fix on these issues i have mentioned, then i will gladly eat my own words that I have previously stated, both this season and last season because we will have a player with the quality and "effort" to play regularly in a team competing among the best.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Him and Lindelof proved how fecked up PL is. Adapting to this league needs time. And needs games. Since day one i was repeating here same thing; he needs to play games in a row. That is how you grow confidence and how you adapt. It is hard to adapt when your manager gives you one game to play and then next 5 games you are on the bench( or you get 10 minutes).

AR87

But Herrera showed a higher level against better opposition. Fred has looked better but still hasn't played to the levels Herrera did. Its just the other day against Watford that he was awful. He has a long way to go for me to say he is an upgrade on Herrera.
Fred has shown a higher level in CL (at PSG) and a similar capability domestically (Spurs at home and City away). I loved Herrera but I think Fred is a better player.

Bestietom

Surely must be Matic, Fred, and Pogba in a 3 midfield versus Arsenal. This is where the game will be won and lost imo.

spiriticon

It would be good if Fred could improve his shooting and chip in with a few goals here and there like Herrera did.

Always room for a bit more improvement.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s quality, and has quite comfortably been our best midfielder this season, and currently one of the best central midfielders in the PL.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Herrera showed higher level against better opposition like Chelsea by usually just marking Hazard out the game.

Fred's game is much much more complex. He is able to dictate the game, pass, tackle and avoid the press & pressure better than Herrera can in my opinion.

Ekeke

Fred has shown a higher level in CL (at PSG) and a similar capability domestically (Spurs at home and City away). I loved Herrera but I think Fred is a better player.
He wasnt very good in that match, it was just a big deal was made because it was our reserve midfield and we managed to get through it.

MyDevil

Most improved player, no doubt. The best is he continues to work hard and non-stop running.

Andrew Richmond

It would be good if Fred could improve his shooting and chip in with a few goals here and there like Herrera did.

Always room for a bit more improvement.
It’s only a matter of time before he starts scoring a goal here and there. I get the feeling there is much more to come from Fred and he’s going to be a very, very good player for us over the next couple of seasons.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very happy he is getting his due credit for his form. People haven’t been in a hurry to give it to him, and just a month or so ago, the consensus of what I was reading was it was all Scott McTominay making him look good. He’s put in some proper performances now in his absence, which is good for making the fans appreciate his quality in his own right.

Ekeke

He was excellent in that match.
Nonsense. He and McTominay were expected to be terrible against PSG's midfield, since he had been poor since signing and McTominay was just a kid coming through. They were decent, held their own. They were nowhere near excellent

Last edited:
Nonsense. He and McTominay were expected to be terrible against PSG's midfield, since he had been poor since signing and McTominay was just a kid coming through. They were decent, held their own. They were nowhere near excellent
They were excellent in fairness, our big issue vs PSG was our back 4 & especially Young & Bailly.

Ekeke

They were excellent in fairness, our big issue vs PSG was our back 4 & especially Young & Bailly.
We had 27% of the ball. McTominay and Fred held their own in the middle and won the ball a good amount to break up some of the play, and considering they were expected to struggle in the match they obviously did well. But excellent? Fred had 52 touches, Veratti had 116 and Marquinos had 63. PSG clearly controlled the midfield, but in terms of coping with that and stifling them a bit McTominay and Fred held their own. On the ball they werent very good

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...18-2019-Paris-Saint-Germain-Manchester-United

Status
Not open for further replies.