g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Fred image 17

Fred Brazil flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

He needs to stop trying to pass with his right foot.

I admire his confidence but he tries first time passes and completely screws it up.

the issue is when he plays with Matic, he always ends up on the right side. With his back to goal he’s constantly turning to his right foot.

meh. He has flashes of good play and then some awful stuff too. Can’t really say much though as the whole team stinks right now.
Pretty much this. Was going to say he needs to realise his right foot ain’t all that:lol: I like that he has the confidence to try stuff on it but he needs to realise at a point it’s very detrimental to the team however his passing yesterday was shocking. Sometimes not helped by his team mates mind but generally it was terrible.

Still think there is something there but he needs to cut out these mistakes. Kind of feel if you put him in a better team he’d probably be a decent player.

Conor

If he wasn't a pro I would maybe agree with the comments regarding him trying things with his weaker foot, but when you're being paid a fortune to play football and 26 years old, I don't think it's a valid point. If he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo with his right foot, he shouldn't be using it.

Alabaster Codify7

If Fiorentina are still vaguely interested, for the mooted 30m Euros, we need to bite their hand off because by next summer, Fred's value will have plummeted even further. We'll have to take a 50% loss at least on him, get him out of the club, he adds nothing and is nowhere near PL level.

chicha14

I wish Shakhtar's fax machine had broken..

He looked like the CM version of Bebe yesterday!

Red00012

He’s worse than Matic. I’m not sure I can insult him any more than that.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This is a strange case: in Shakthar he played a vital role in Fonseca's system. Not the best passer, but provided a lot of dynamic to the team.

In hindsight it has been a terrible deal for us, but when we signed him I had high hopes because we really needed a midfield engine, but ultimately he just didn't step up.

Foxbatt

He was terrible last night but honestly I feel he is a much better player that what we saw. It's an artificial pitch and he is playing with Matic and Mata so obviously he has to be a lot more positive and he messed it up.
I feel that if we play a diamond and he is on top of it then he would be a better player

zenith

Jesus that was a ridiculous performance. What on earth made Jose spend over 50 million on hi , I will never get.

We got sure need two high quality midfielders and fred needs to be freed from this club asap

MAME DIOUF 32

Sometimes he looks like he's almost there and needs a run of games, but then he puts in the sort of performance that makes it totally impossible to give him that. Absolute disaster.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wasn't there surprise at Shakhtar that we went in for him?

Honestly think we went for him and Sanchez because City expressed an interest. They were probably just playing us.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is a strange case: in Shakthar he played a vital role in Fonseca's system. Not the best passer, but provided a lot of dynamic to the team.

In hindsight it has been a terrible deal for us, but when we signed him I had high hopes because we really needed a midfield engine, but ultimately he just didn't step up.
When he first started he looked terrified of being on the ball. Totally unsure of what to do. That could obviously just be the effect of being judged in front of thousands of new people, but I do wonder if it's still affecting him on a lesser scale. Then again, our biggest issue is always getting the best out of players and playing them in a way that they're best suited to, so that probably doesn't help.

Bwuk

Once again I repeat he's our best player at moving the ball fast without dwelling on it, so you both refuse what's pretty evident just from watching him play and stats. No point in arguing further here.
If by best player at moving the ball fast you mean fastly giving it back to the opposition then, you are correct!

No point further arguing indeed...

Bestietom

I am following United since 1959 and I can honestly say that this is the worst squad of players I have ever seen. I have seen better players on the bench, during Fergies time. It's getting worse every year, and we need a HUGE improvement of The WHOLE squad.
We have got 2 top Players that's all, Pogba when he plays, and De Gea when on form. The rest are average and wouldn't get near any other top 4 side the way they are playing.
No matter who comes in as manager, we need a HUGE input into transfers, and get rid of Woodward.

edgar allan

Matic is atleast big and could potentially put off the opposition's attackers but those three hold absolutely no threat of any form. Not saying Matic is good btw, he is probably slightly better than these three.
He is tall but is too slow to hold any threat.
He fully deserves to join the three amigos.
Rojo also says hi too.

edgar allan

I am following United since 1959 and I can honestly say that this is the worst squad of players I have ever seen. I have seen better players on the bench, during Fergies time. It's getting worse every year, and we need a HUGE improvement of The WHOLE squad.
We have got 2 top Players that's all, Pogba when he plays, and De Gea when on form. The rest are average and wouldn't get near any other top 4 side the way they are playing.
No matter who comes in as manager, we need a HUGE input into transfers, and get rid of Woodward.
De gea is in form far more than the consistently inconsistent Pogba.

El Jefe

Always looks like he's playing in a completely different match to his teammates. Now while the rest of the team is shit in a structured way, he makes it worse by being shit in a totally different and more brainless way than the rest of the team.

A CM should never be erratic especially when he plays closer to our own goal. In our current system we already have Pogba for that but its excusable at times because of his ability, in Fred's case it makes him a total liability to a team that is already clueless.

I appluad those who think he can turn it around. In my mind he's a sure flop and giving him time will only make things worse for us.

iHicksy

Wasn't there surprise at Shakhtar that we went in for him?

Honestly think we went for him and Sanchez because City expressed an interest. They were probably just playing us.
I remember watching his highlights reel against Man City on youtube and and I posted on here saying it was a huge mistake and that he looked like one of the worst midfielders i'd ever seen for that price. I was routinely berated that because City supposedly wanted him he must be awesome.
I swear we only bought him because we thought city were after him rather than actually buying someone who can fit into whatever cluster feck system we are trying to create on the pitch.

Poor man's Ander Herrera.

Shark

@NotShark
One of the worst buys we’ve ever made. Absolutely no logic to this signing and it once again proves that are scouting system is tripe.

Bestietom

Don't know who recommended Fred, or was it just because City were after him ( spposedly) but whatever, this guy is one of the worst midfielders we ever had.

el3mel

I remember watching his highlights reel against Man City on youtube and and I posted on here saying it was a huge mistake and that he looked like one of the worst midfielders i'd ever seen for that price. I was routinely berated that because City supposedly wanted him he must be awesome.
I swear we only bought him because we thought city were after him rather than actually buying someone who can fit into whatever cluster feck system we are trying to create on the pitch.

Poor man's Ander Herrera.
Many here rate players as much as Woodward, that just because City were interested it means he's great or something. They don't put in consideration City might have just scouted him and decided to back off from the deal when they saw how overpriced he was in comparison to his actual performance. Woodward just wanted the glory of getting one over City and signed him.

Mark Pawelek

Impossible to figure why United bought him. Opta stats say his total career minutes are only 4651. Some players play more in a single season. He only played 8 matches in his last Shakhtar season. Why pay so much for a fringe player? The more you look at his career stats the harder it's to understand his signing.

skyfall m death

NinjaFletch

Impossible to figure why United bought him. Opta stats say his total career minutes are only 4651. Some players play more in a single season. He only played 8 matches in his last Shakhtar season. Why pay so much for a fringe player? The more you look at his career stats the harder it's to understand his signing.

skyfall m death
Ah, look, at least it's not just climate data tables you're incapable of reading. Even a cursory glance should tell you why that number is so low, it doesn't include his league minutes in Ukraine.

Mark Pawelek

Ah, look, at least it's not just climate data tables you're incapable of reading. Even a cursory glance should tell you why that number is so low, it doesn't include his league minutes in Ukraine.
Because Opta don't do mickey mouse leagues. In 5 seasons he totalled 92 matches with 6728 minutes in the Ukrainian league. So not a core player for Shakhtar. A peripheral player from a minor European league costs £5m? (not even that), or £55m if you are Manchester United. Very dodgy.

Note: A peripheral player in the Argentine league doesn't even cost £1m. And it's better than the Ukrainian league.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Seems like he is even more incompetent at stats than at science. Like for example trying to figure out how many matches/teams there are in the Ukranian league. Utter disingenuousness is the dominant theme though.

NinjaFletch

Because Opta don't do mickey mouse leagues. In 5 seasons he totalled 92 matches with 6728 minutes in the Ukrainian league. So not a core player for Shakhtar. A peripheral player from a minor European league costs £5m? (not even that), or £55m if you are Manchester United. Very dodgy.

Note: A peripheral player in the Argentine league doesn't even cost £1m. And it's better than the Ukrainian league.
Ugh, ffs. I forgot your proclivity to shifting the goalposts just so you can get something else wrong.

Seems like he is even more incompetent at stats than at science. Like for example trying to figure out how many matches/teams there are in the Ukranian league. Utter disingenuousness is the dominant theme though.
Well yes, quite. I'd previously thought it was disingenuous, but I think I might give him the benefit of the doubt and just argue he doesn't quite get numbers.

If Fiorentina are still vaguely interested, for the mooted 30m Euros, we need to bite their hand off because by next summer, Fred's value will have plummeted even further. We'll have to take a 50% loss at least on him, get him out of the club, he adds nothing and is nowhere near PL level.
Would take a 50% hit on him. The reality is that we are unlikely to get £10m for him.

Unfortunately I think he will be a player who we have to loan out for the next 3-4 years until his contract ends and we release him on a free.

Eleven-Eighteen

After watching the AZ game and reading this thread, I'm beginning to think the Glazers are over-spending on random players to embezzle even more money out of United :nervous:

Litch

Only one player in the whole squad that can hold his head up in Scott. Fred could be all the things that people say he is but it still needs context. The rest hasn't turned to shit for no good reason and if it was all on Fred and everyone else was firing fine, but it isn't. Too easy to say it's just the players and watch this space, watch Harry and AWB start going the other way too.

ravi2

Good post

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Only one player in the whole squad that can hold his head up in Scott. Fred could be all the things that people say he is but it still needs context. The rest hasn't turned to shit for no good reason and if it was all on Fred and everyone else was firing fine, but it isn't. Too easy to say it's just the players and watch this space, watch Harry and AWB start going the other way too.
Easy to ignore that Fred was bought by Jose and quickly didn't come up to expectations. I've no idea how good he was at Shaktar but he's an OK squad player if the squad was up to scratch.
He clearly isn't the problem, just a symptom of the malaise around the team at present. In Ole's defence most of this squad is Jose's,LVG's and a couple from SAF.

That's quite a mix of styles and personalities for one coach and one season to fix

Litch

Maybe? If you look at that Liverpool team on paper, how many players would you have bought in their starting 11? I'd argue there were question marks over 80% of those signings but the manager has had a massive impact on turning into one of the best teams in the world. Need to look beyond the players.

Last edited:

Needham

We've got enough poster boys for the shocking transfer splurge since Fergie left to make up a whole team, and this guy could captain it.

Litch

Easy to ignore that Fred was bought by Jose and quickly didn't come up to expectations. I've no idea how good he was at Shaktar but he's an OK squad player if the squad was up to scratch.
He clearly isn't the problem, just a symptom of the malaise around the team at present. In Ole's defence most of this squad is Jose's,LVG's and a couple from SAF.

That's quite a mix of styles and personalities for one coach and one season to fix
Agree. Signings often don't as more probably fail than succeed as often it's based on expectations and how much they cost. If City or Liverpool make mistakes with signings, winning football hides their failures. Pretty much the same under SAF. Fred just reminds me of the Felliani situation, just an easy scapegoat for fans to focus their frustrations. There's always players that aren't good enough but these type of signings were never suppose to be the answer. They have been seen as failings because those players and managers who were suppose to be the answer, haven't been. There have been a long list of players here that have been given a lot longer to prove it, that haven't either.

Mark Pawelek

Ugh, ffs. I forgot your proclivity to shifting the goalposts just so you can get something else wrong.

Well yes, quite. I'd previously thought it was disingenuous, but I think I might give him the benefit of the doubt and just argue he doesn't quite get numbers.
What did I get wrong?
  • I said he's worth closer to £1m than £55m? Do you disagree?
  • I said he was dodgy signing. Defamation law prevents me going further than that. Do you think his signing made sense?
  • What did I say that was disingenuous?
  • Despite playing less than half their league matches over 5 years, would you say he was a core player for Shakhtar? I said he was not.
You want to give him the benefit of the doubt? He cannot put in consistent performances for United. He wasn't worth a fraction of the £55m paid.

How about you try defending Fred, rather than attacking me. Can you manage that?

Status
Not open for further replies.