Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's not that, i value the work off the ball just as highly. Fred was very impressive tonight off the ball, along with McTominay, along with the rest of the team. That was where we done our best work, where we really won the match i thought.

Look at the type of set-up we played tonight, that lends itself to keeping it simple on the ball. Especially when you're playing in a midfield 2, where a loose loss of possession can lead to a chance at any moment. That's why i don't put much importance on his work with the ball tonight, as he was following Solskjaer's instructions. When he had the ball, i saw him try to transition it on as fast as he could. That was the main thing for me.

He was concentrated the full match, i rarely saw him caught in possession (if at all). Yet he was always in position to stop Chelsea. So he's improved in that respect.

His energy levels, pressing the Chelsea midfield the full 90 was really impressive. Him & McTominay never allowed the Chelsea midfield to settle on the ball once. It's no coincidence that Chelsea couldn't create anything since they couldn't get Jorginho into the game.

There's probably other parts i forgot to mention.

It was an all-round solid performance from a cm at a tough ground.

I think he deserves just as much credit as the rest of the team imo. They both played very well together, contributing to an important victory. It's unfair to see the McTominay thread where everyone is calling him sensational and motm, yet here the general opinion is Fred played crap. You really think that's an objective assessment of their performances tonight?
We only scored from a freekick and penalty though. We aren't doing enough in midfield. You're right though, his energy levels were valuable. Perhaps crap was harsh, but we need more in my opinion.

troylocker

Another good game from him. He is linking up well with McTom and together they have become a wellfunctioning unit. Not as vertical in his passing as McTom, but distributes the ball well, has great workrate and attitude, and doesnt lose the ball in dangerous positions like he did earlier this season. He is having good progress these days!

Last edited:

bucky

He attempted 8 tackles and was successful 2 times. That's just not good enough.

Litch

Please show me him getting caught in possession tonight?

He was playing deep in a midfield 2 tonight, in a very organised Man Utd performance.

Since when do DMs start an attack or get assists?

If you think all it takes to form an important cog in controlling a confident Chelsea midfield at Stamford Bridge is 'running around a lot' then i don't know what else to say.
Wouldn't waste your time as some fans are only happy if proven right even if it's to the detriment of a player and the club. Blinkered view if anyone can't see his contribution to the team over the last view matches.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
We only scored from a freekick and penalty though. We aren't doing enough in midfield. You're right though, his energy levels were valuable. Perhaps crap was harsh, but we need more in my opinion.
I definitely agree that we aren't doing enough in midfield, but the two cms aren't meant to provide the creativity in this kind of setup in my opinion. That was Lingard's job which he failed spectacularly at.

Because he was so anonymous (i bet you forgot he even played, don't worry so did i :wenger:), that makes them look worse. In a team with a proper 10, all they have to do is focus on providing him and he will do the rest.

We were practically playing with 10 against 11 for the majority of the match, which makes the performance even more special in my eyes.

I would like to see Fred in a midfield 3 with us playing an attacking set-up before i can tell if he can create more. Right now, i see a player following instructions on the ball playing within himself.

Last edited:

UncleBob

Wouldn't waste your time as some fans are only happy if proven right even if it's to the detriment of a player and the club. Blinkered view if anyone can't see his contribution to the team over the last view matches.
Odd claim.

My major concern is the same as before, his passes. Simple passes that are mishit, just bouncing on the pitch, passes just behind the teammate. He's just extremely average at best with the ball at his feet.

UDontMessWith24

This is still the same player that was selected to Brazil’s World Cup squad. Mentally things just didn’t click for him imo and he struggled to adjust, but he hasn’t suddenly forgotten how to play football. Him and McTominay could desperately use an attacking midfielder in front of them that opponents have to account for.

UncleBob

This is still the same player that was selected to Brazil’s World Cup squad. Mentally things just didn’t click for him imo and he struggled to adjust, but he hasn’t suddenly forgotten how to play football. Him and McTominay could desperately use an attacking midfielder in front of them that opponents have to account for.
Kleberson ?

caid

We do need more but each game has been a small improvement on the last with him. No Pogba till December isn't the nightmare scenario it was a couple of weeks ago for me. We'll see how it goes from there. We need more midfielders whatever happens with him so getting behind him for the year or two he's going to be here, playing pretty often, whether good or bad is probably my attitude at this point. He works hard on the pitch so its easy enough to like him.

King Andow

So was Paulinho, another one who flopped at the Premier League. Allan from Napoli should've been called, Arthur was injured... he won't be in the NT again anytime soon, there's also promissing players like Bruno Guimarães, who's not even in the Senior squad yet, with more talent than him. He's just not someone who will perform well regularly in this level or, at 26, improve much.

Last edited:

kr0nix

Fred is the player with the widest range of opinions after a game I've ever seen. From world class to complete shite. Is he like an indie movie?
Exactly what I was thinking. To expand on that, I watch him and think there's a real Yin and Yang about him in the way he manages to be both good and shit in the same game

simmee

I think it's hard when you start poorly for Utd as the fans can be really unforgiving irrespective of even when there's clearly improvements, they'll always focus on the negative. Fred isn't the answer but neither was Phil, Butt, Park, Fletch, Fortune et al but all contributed and supported those players that were. We need a midfielder that compliments what we have and push Pogs further forward....
Definitely agree. I can see Fred-McT-Pogba working really well. But I'm not sure OGS wants to play Pogba in the no 10 role with his pressing system.

arthurka

So you never saw McTominay pass over 5 yards once, yet criticise Fred for attempting for it not coming off. Considering how well we performed, with Fred & McTominay in midfield, do you not think the rest of their midfield duties were a lot more important to the victory tonight?
No I don´t, I have never blasted Fred for not working hard and trying because he does but we lack control of games and that is due to having midfield with no passing range. We can´t offer our wingers passes from midfield because our CM aren´t equipped with passing range. McT was lying deeper in the CM duo so Fred had the ball higher up the field, but I thought this was a Fred thread where we talk about his qualities and weaknesses, McT has his thread where we praise him for his workrate and guile. There is always a very similar script playing these two in the middle of the park and there we never control the middle of the park. Like I said I find it odd that we have bought a 50m CM with no passing range.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's developing an improving partnership with McT in the middle of the park. They worked well in tandem in the 2nd half against Chelsea.

Alfie092

Improving game by game. Since he has been at the club I've wanted him to get a proper run of games to see how he does and he is finally getting that. He is good defensively and has lots of energy so he can press opponents for days. However, even though he has improved on the ball, I would still like to see more.

Providing they all stay fit, a midfield trio of Pogba, McTominay and Fred could really excel.

Still need to sign 1-2 midfielders though.

Mark Pawelek

Fred played 2 games for Brazil in the 2015 Copa America. His performances were ordinary. He was never selected to play again for them. I agree United need to buy before selling Fred. I agree we desperately need better attacking midfield options.

mancan92

Thought he was poor again. Just runs around like a headless chicken. Doesn't even win the ball back much and gives the ball away like it Christmas. He never creates a single chance and provides no creative outlet. What's the point in him.

Litch

Odd claim.

My major concern is the same as before, his passes. Simple passes that are mishit, just bouncing on the pitch, passes just behind the teammate. He's just extremely average at best with the ball at his feet.
Not a odd claim at all, just an opinion. Stats say differently and completed pass percentage has been high the last few games. Do you think that others aren't misplacing passes on both teams, you make it sound like it's a Fred only issue. Not sure why fans can't just give some credit where it's due, not easy when you have so many forensically looking at you......

theklr

I'm so sorry but tried so hard to win the ball but failed almost every time. He sucks.
Strange as it sounds, he can do fairly well without winning the ball every time.

His positioning to deny space and harassment has a value in its own, denying the opposition time and room to make good forward passes.

But he’s really a strange case, wasnt he a full AM when he was at Donetsk? What a strange role reversal

Litch

Thought he was poor again. Just runs around like a headless chicken. Doesn't even win the ball back much and gives the ball away like it Christmas. He never creates a single chance and provides no creative outlet. What's the point in him.
Rashford Freekick came from who being fouled? Like said, if people were balanced they could see Fred contribution to the team and results. He may not be 50m but we all know the amount paid for players especially when Utd calls is inflated. You are suggesting what he's not but he was never about that anyway. Maybe it's me, but I like a player that's has had a difficult start that tries to prove people wrong and wants to be here. So many players when it gets tough, disappear and surely he deserves some credit for not doing so and showing some improvement?

mu4c_20le

Rashford Freekick came from who being fouled? Like said, if people were balanced they could see Fred contribution to the team and results. He may not be 50m but we all know the amount paid for players especially when Utd calls is inflated. You are suggesting what he's not but he was never about that anyway. Maybe it's me, but I like a player that's has had a difficult start that tries to prove people wrong and wants to be here. So many players when it gets tough, disappear and surely he deserves some credit for not doing so and showing some improvement?
Sounds like you like to be a bit contrarian. Let me guess, you also defended Fellaini every time he messed up?

Litch

Sounds like you like to be a bit contrarian. Let me guess, you also defended Fellaini every time he messed up?
Just a Utd fan that likes to give players the benefit of the doubt. I'll leave others to form their own view. That's the great thing about football is it's all a matter of opinions, and no one has the monopoly of football knowledge. He is here, clearly giving a 100% and contributing to winning and losing football matches. Not trying to change anyone's opinion, just sharing mine on a public forum. Contrary maybe, I like to see it as fair.......I thought fans supported their own? Maybe I'm wrong.

mu4c_20le

Just a Utd fan that likes to give players the benefit of the doubt. I'll leave others to form their own view. That's the great thing about football is it's all a matter of opinions, and no one has the monopoly of football knowledge. He is here, clearly giving a 100% and contributing to winning and losing football matches. Not trying to change anyone's opinion, just sharing mine on a public forum. Contrary maybe, I like to see it as fair.......I thought fans supported their own? Maybe I'm wrong.
That's true, but I also feel that sometimes some fans go overboard to defend certain players that are under fire, ignore mistakes and glorify the little things they do well. I watched the second half again,a nd most people aren't wrong when they said he's improved, because the best thing he did was not screw up and give the ball away as much. As a destroyer, he pressed well, but still seems really clumsy. I don't think anyone actually takes pleasure in seeing him fail, we do support him, but the 'negative' opinions about him being easily replaced aren't necessarily wrong or harsh either.

Litch

That's true, but I also feel that sometimes some fans go overboard to defend certain players that are under fire, ignore mistakes and glorify the little things they do well. I watched the second half again,a nd most people aren't wrong when they said he's improved, because the best thing he did was not screw up and give the ball away as much. As a destroyer, he pressed well, but still seems really clumsy. I don't think anyone actually takes pleasure in seeing him fail, we do support him, but the 'negative' opinions about him being easily replaced aren't necessarily wrong or harsh either.
I actually think some people do take pleasure in players failing. Its transference of their own frustrations in the team and then focus it on particular players. Fred is a easy target and maybe rightly so but some people just won't acknowledge when the credit is due. Yesterday was a clear example imo where people say he was rubbish, when clearly he wasn't. Also people give him positive but then take it away with a negative comment.....

mancan92

So because he got fouled one time that makes everything I said wrong ?

ReddBalls

Definitely agree. I can see Fred-McT-Pogba working really well. But I'm not sure OGS wants to play Pogba in the no 10 role with his pressing system.
Ole has stated he wants to build the team around Pogba, and putting him at number 10 will be doing just that. That was also where he played him at the start of his tenure, when Herrerra and Matic both were fit. He was a monster in those games.

UncleBob

Not a odd claim at all, just an opinion. Stats say differently and completed pass percentage has been high the last few games. Do you think that others aren't misplacing passes on both teams, you make it sound like it's a Fred only issue. Not sure why fans can't just give some credit where it's due, not easy when you have so many forensically looking at you......
Not sure why anyone would have anything against Fred, if he improves it means we have one less problem to sort out. Use your eyes and look at the way he passes the ball, it has nothing to do with a few misplaced passes or a few attempts that don't come off, it's about his technique when he passes it, which is why i see a player that has improved on his overall performances lately but i don't have much hopes that he's turned the corner.

izec

People have low expectations. He is average as it comes, just does enough of the basics to not be called trash. But for 50m or whatever we paid, you expect much more from a Brazilian NT player at the time. Kleberson 2.0

If he was 21, i would get it. Guy should be in his pomp right now and tearing it up, but his level is Andreas Pereira, who cost us almost nothing. McTominay is playing better, and he is again a youth product. Waste of money, buying a player not improving us but just for the numbers.

Foxbatt

He had a decent game. Yes he is not a world class player but given time he could become a very good squad player. right now he is playing much better than Lingard.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
People have low expectations. He is average as it comes, just does enough of the basics to not be called trash. But for 50m or whatever we paid, you expect much more from a Brazilian NT player at the time. Kleberson 2.0

If he was 21, i would get it. Guy should be in his pomp right now and tearing it up, but his level is Andreas Pereira, who cost us almost nothing. McTominay is playing better, and he is again a youth product. Waste of money, buying a player not improving us but just for the numbers.
While everything you said is true, if he keeps playing like he did against Chelsea, and the game before, that perspective will change. He probably wont, but he should, and lets hope he does so he wont be just a complete flop.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Whilst its true what you are saying you also need to take into account that he was bought for a different manager and a different manager's requirements. He may have had to both adapt to the EPL but also a new philosophy, all within 24mths.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He's never going to look worth the money you paid for him but I thought he was good on Wednesday. He's getting better on the ball, at least he passes it with some pace and he brings a lot of energy. He's probably a similar signing to what Spurs made with Sissoko. Overpriced but useful for the squad. No doubt you need someone better but he's probably good enough back up for the top sides.

Ace of Spades

He has energy, and seems to not be injury prone at least, so that is a positive. Probably not a priority to get rid yet.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's never going to look worth the money you paid for him but I thought he was good on Wednesday. He's getting better on the ball, at least he passes it with some pace and he brings a lot of energy. He's probably a similar signing to what Spurs made with Sissoko. Overpriced but useful for the squad. No doubt you need someone better but he's probably good enough back up for the top sides.
Pretty much this.

People need to stop concentrating on a players fee. Once upon a time a record fee meant something, now it's just a means to an end.

Fee's are inflating every year, and there will be new records regularly. Does that mean they should be your best player? not really.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I feel the only reason he's still getting stick from fans is because of his transfer fee.
Players do not create their own valuations. It's not Fred's fault that he's a 20-25m quality player and we chose to pay 50m for him.

I don't see a huge difference between Fred and McT when it comes to performances but McT is young and from the Academy so he must be objectively better.

Status
Not open for further replies.