Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It was a shot though, just a very poor one. When they seen where Fred had the ball they probably expected him to shoot.
You’re missing the point. Regardless they should have been making the run. This is always the problem with United no 9s of late. Even if its a shot if the keeper parries you get a tap in

stevoc

You’re missing the point. Regardless they should have been making the run. This is always the problem with United no 9s of late. Even if its a shot if the keeper parries you get a tap in
But again they train with Fred every day. So they probably suspected there's only one place that ball was going, wildly off target. Which it did.

And besides he hit it that hard no one was getting on the end of it.

If there's one area Ten Hag could succeed where Jose, Ralf and Ole all failed it's getting Fred to stop taking wild shots that he's never going to score during games. He wastes so many good positions.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
But again they train with Fred every day. So they probably suspected there's only one place that ball was going, wildly off target. Which it did.

And besides he hit it that hard no one was getting on the end of it.

If there's one area Ten Hag could succeed where Jose, Ralf and Ole all failed it's getting Fred to stop taking wild shots that he's never going to score during games. He wastes so many good positions.
Train with Fred everyday so probably expected. Right not like that does’t happen every game no matter who has it on that positoon. The facts are clear we lack a CF with the right movement in the box.

NoPace

I've always been a Fred good McTominay bad type, but I genuinely was hoping Iqbal would come on instead to help Eriksen as I thought we could keep being the better team with a midfield really up for moving the ball around and playing triangles and Iqbal looked decent enough in that regard in pre-season.

stevoc

Train with Fred everyday so probably expected. Right not like that does’t happen every game no matter who has it on that positoon. The facts are clear we lack a CF with the right movement in the box.
We do lack a proper Striker but thats besides the point.

Fred walloped a shot at goal when he was in a decent position and hit it laughably off target then tried to blame his teammates. Given his woeful strike rate from longe range he shouldn't be taking any shots on goal.

Litch

Its is funny, we hold Fred accountable like we are talking about Bruno. Fred ceiling isnt as high so why are we constantly judging him in that way? Dont judge his shooting abilities like Bruno's, judge him based on other CM bench players. How many bench midfielders scored more than him last season, made more tackles, forward passes etc....?
Ole was a bench player and his career was judged by that, not comparing him to Yorke, Cole or RVD.

He has a very specific role in the team, and shooting isnt one of them. Hes the best at pressing, closing down and winning the ball back especially high up the pitch, thats his role. Yes can offer elsewhere but his contribution significantly drops in doing so.

Maybe no different than playing Rashford at CF and then critiquing his game cause he cant play there....

Last edited:

Sylar

Unlucky with the header. But he seems to be bad when coming on as a sub especially when becoming deeper.

kundalini

Fantastic header that hit the post from McTominay's cross. Otherwise seemed a bit careless.

caid

Hes such a strange player

Almost sublime but falls short and looks a bit crap instead.

Irwin99

The bit where he ran from the defence with the ball to take the heat off and ended up booting it straight to their keeper instead of across the pitch was classic Fred :D

Today wasn't the best example but in theory, I really like him as a sub as you always get effort and energy at least. Unlucky not to score with the header today as well.

CloneMC16

Header was unlucky. He gets into good positions in the box. It's his finishing that's lacking. I laughed when he had the ball on the left flank, and made a terrible cross field pass. He tried to play it out to the right, but completely messed it up. It went straight back to their keeper. If Eriksen is still on the pitch in that scenario, we most likely go 2-0 up.

Litch

Fred isnt the answer but to come on during that type of game and pick up the pace isnt easy that late on. Our shape was all over the place anyway and everyone was giving the ball away. Hes deserved criticism previously, today is hardly fair. Was unlucky not to score.

caid

Fred isnt the answer but to come on during that type of game and pick up the pace isnt easy. Our shape was all over the place anyway. Hes deserved criticism previously today is hardly fair. Was unlucky not to score.
I thought he was mostly good to be fair. The cross field pass at the end was crap but evading 2 / 3 tackles and getting the ball out of our half was pretty helpful all the same. Same with him getting a lot of chances like the header today, you just dont expect them to go in so you find yourself dismissing the good work to get the chance. A Fred who was even mediocre at shooting or who was a bit more consistent with passing would be a brilliant player. As it is hes pretty decent? An interesting squad option maybe?

Litch

I thought he was mostly good to be fair. The cross field pass at the end was crap but evading 2 / 3 tackles and getting the ball out of our half was pretty helpful all the same. Same with him getting a lot of chances like the header today, you just dont expect them to go in so you find yourself dismissing the good work to get the chance. A Fred who was even mediocre at shooting or who was a bit more consistent with passing would be a brilliant player. As it is hes pretty decent? An interesting squad option maybe?
Said it earlier, I see Fred as a squad player and thats the standard I hold him by. Same historically as John O, Darren, Phil N et al. Not gonna compare John O to Jaap or Darren F to Roy.

When you do that, your expectation is very different. Based on last year, hes the best midfielder off the bench in the league. Certainly scored more than most last season. We just need to hold him to a different standard....

......Lets not forget, most say the spurs game was our best for years, Fred arguably was up there for MoTM. People cant have it both ways.

Last edited:

Alemar

Unlucky with the header, it would’ve been a very nice goal

stevoc

Said it earlier, I see Fred as a squad player and thats the standard I hold him by. Same historically as John O, Darren, Phil N et al. Not gonna compare John O to Jaap or Darren F to Roy.

When you do that, your expectation is very different. Based on last year, hes the best midfielder off the bench in the league. Certainly scored more than most last season. We just need to hold him to a different standard....

......Lets not forget, most say the spurs game was our best for years, Fred arguably was up there for MoTM. People cant have it both ways.
Fletcher was a much better player in general than Fred.

stevoc

I thought he was alright, he's rarely great coming off the bench.

I think as a squad player with Fred you shouldn't expect too much and that way you'll never be too disappointed.

Litch

Fletcher was a much better player in general than Fred.
Absolutely but thats not my point. Fletcher wasnt Keane and thats why he was as lambasted at times as Fred is, just in a different era.
Like said, if people think that hes a squad player, useful in the big games when teams come to play, they'll be 'happier'....never thought Fletcher, Oshea, Phil N or Park were starters either but they all contributed.

led_scholes

Bit off yesterday. Probably that means he is going to be on beast mode next game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I feel like we bring him when we have already totally lost any control, and also we lose any shape because of the forwards situation.

He should be starting more games if we want to spare Eriksen a bit in the coming weeks.

stevoc

Absolutely but thats not my point. Fletcher wasnt Keane and thats why he was as lambasted at times as Fred is, just in a different era.
Like said, if people think that hes a squad player, useful in the big games when teams come to play, they'll be 'happier'....never thought Fletcher, Oshea, Phil N or Park were starters either but they all contributed.
Oh fair enough mate, I get what you're saying and I agree.

CloneMC16

I feel like we bring him when we have already totally lost any control, and also we lose any shape because of the forwards situation.

He should be starting more games if we want to spare Eriksen a bit in the coming weeks.
He will definitely start more games later on in the season. We've been playing games every 3/4 days. Eriksen has played a lot more than I thought he would. Both are also going to the World Cup and will probably make it deep into the tournament. Eriksen is going to need some games off and Fred will play.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He hasn't started any game after his probably best game in his career vs Tottenham. Weird..

Levenstein

Was really needed in the game against Villa. I don't know why we didn't play him.

Bondi77

Was really needed in the game against Villa. I don't know why we didn't play him.
We had to see how VDB would perform as he is fit again and now we have seen that I don't expect to see him start again unless easy FA or Carabo Cup games.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Wasteful, I think he should get moved on. Gives united bags of energy but nothing else really.

The last player with stamina like Fred was Ji Sung Park and he had good end product and you knew you could rely on him. Fred you just can't.

edgecutter

Works hard but his passing snd decision making isn't good enough if we want to challenge for trophies.

Marwood

The type of player he is, he's only going to get worse at 30 onwards.

Under no circumstances give him a new contract.

If we do he'll be here until it ends.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
From time to time Ole could make some use from his dynamic, but Ten Hag's football is just too ambitious and complicated for him. He doesn't understand tempo of play, not to mention he doesn't learn new things from quite some time.

Game over for him.

kaku06

Him apologising with his hands up after making a mistake every single time with almost every pass :drool:

Kostov

Wasteful, I think he should get moved on. Gives united bags of energy but nothing else really.

The last player with stamina like Fred was Ji Sung Park and he had good end product and you knew you could rely on him. Fred you just can't.
So he gives feck all in simple terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.