Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think many of us would have become a bit exasperated by the way the referee invited Athleti to be total shits. Fred has been excellent so far this pre-season, give the guy a little room...
The room will inevitably get little, when finally something resembling of a strong rivalry in midfield will be created.

So far he's the only player in the club who can do deep midfield role full time. Pressure is justified and hopefully he won't crack.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He was the difference today. Had no understanding of his position. Compared with Eriksen who is not a natural CM we looked much more better.
Had no calm always running off to chase the ball and lacked awareness.

SirScholes

I remember people saying when Ten Hag comes in he’ll flourish

never going to happen because his basic skill level is shocking, no consistency with decision making.
Ten Hag can give him different roles and tactics, but he can’t stop a player from deciding to shoot from 35 yards out when we were struggling to gain a foot hold

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Shite and has been for years. Lacks any intelligence to play midfield.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Complete and utter garbage. You cannot be a center midfielder with your bottom level being so horrifically bad. Our control of the game after the bright start began to slip with his sloppiness and it never came back.

Walters_19_MuFc

Performance dipped big time when he lost the ball which nearly lead to a Brighton goal. Off the ball, gave us energy, but I'm not always confident when he's on the ball and for that reason, it's so important we get a controlling number 6.

Superunknown

Similar thoughts to McTominay. We've tried it with him and we've not got anywhere. It's time to do something different. He's too limited as a footballer to be first choice in such an important position.

Marcus

Should never play as a defensive mid again. Ok as a box to box.

RedIan

Until we buy someone better garner starts before Fred… and or McTominay.. both not good enough.

mk7

Performance dipped big time when he lost the ball which nearly lead to a Brighton goal. Off the ball, gave us energy, but I'm not always confident when he's on the ball and for that reason, it's so important we get a controlling number 6.
The change in overall composure as soon as Eriksen dropped deep was immediately there.
Too erratic, too rushed - like a headless chicken.

Walters_19_MuFc

The change in overall composure as soon as Eriksen dropped deep was immediately there.
Too erratic, too rushed - like a headless chicken.
Agreed. While Eriksen won't offer what Fred does defensively, he will certainly offer calmness and composure, as you said.

It might be that we play him there against Brentford, whilst bringing Ronaldo in up top.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What did we learn about Fred today that we didn't already know? Nothing. Doing it in an exhibition at the MCG is one thing. Doing it in the Premier League is another. Fred just isn't good enough. We wasted £50m on him and we're persisting with him cos the club won't swallow its mistake and accept that was stupid.

In Rainbows

What an awful performance. What on earth was he so nervous about on the 1st game of the season? Mental midget to top it off.

Lecland07

So weird to revert once again to playing him as a defensive midfielder. He has never been one.

Ekeke

Never a DM. Same old Fred problems, some easy passes misplaced and given away and losing the ball in a bad area

I'd have left him out after the red card last game anyway

Trex

Should have moved Fred forward and subbed off Mctominay, far from impressive though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fred was worthy of being named as part of McFred today. Just kept giving the ball away. Not sure if he just shits his pants on the big stage.

CloneMC16

Fred is not a #6. We've seen it so many times. ETH thinking he can make it work is a bad sign. We need a new signing to play there. His back to goal, anywhere near our box, is not a good place for Fred to be.

Still surprised that he subbed Fred off and left McT on. McT should have gone off and Fred moved to #8.

El Jefe

It honestly amazes me how there are fans that think he's good. Fred has had as many shite performances as good ones since he's been here and a shite Fred game is worse than the average shite game of a top 6 player.

I don't care how much he runs, he is a central midfielder with a poor first touch, that in itself prevents him from being anywhere near good enough. Add in his inconsistent and sloppy passing as well as his complete lack of awareness in the defensive phase and you have a very average to poor midfielder.

The best thing to happen to him here is to play alongside Mctominay who serves as the whipping boy, rightfully so because he's abject.

Fred is not a good player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fred is not a #6. We've seen it so many times. ETH thinking he can make it work is a bad sign. We need a new signing to play there. His back to goal, anywhere near our box, is not a good place for Fred to be.

Still surprised that he subbed Fred off and left McT on. McT should have gone off and Fred moved to #8.
I think Fred’s a much better player than McT. Not today though. McT played a bit better than usual and Fred played a lot worse.

So depressing seeing him anchoring midfield when we all know how shit he is in that position. How can every single United fan know this and the manager somehow not realise?

Manchie

I can't wait to see the day I don't watch Fred and McTominay playing for us in one game

Tony247

If Erik thinks Fred is the one who should receive the ball from defense and be a link between defense and midfield then we are massively fecked.

lex talionis

Not his worst performance for United, but definitely in the top five of shocking performances.

Idxomer

Delusional from Ten Hag to think Fred can play "the connector" role.

Kostov

Horrendous player, and you have deluded people who will repeatedly tell you how ETH will love him, how McT is at fault for him being not good enough and countless other excuses.

Mmm-Qatarian

Ideally, neither him nor McTominay would be anywhere near the starting XI in my view. It's both tragic and comical that both are still starting players

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not only was Fred played as our deep-lying playmaker (a position that we know he's not good enough in), he was left even more exposed today by every single one of our other midfielders playing far further forward. One of them (I would have thought Scott, but watching Eriksen drop into that role it should have been him) should have been playing alongside him.

He was poor, but he's not completely to blame when he blatantly shouldn't be playing in that role. Hopefully ETH learns something from that. There will be games where Fred will have to be used in that deeper role, but he should never be left that alone and exposed again.

Stadjer

If Erik thinks Fred is the one who should receive the ball from defense and be a link between defense and midfield then we are massively fecked.
Obviously not since he wants Frenkie for that... but picking between Fred or McT for that role i would also pick Fred. So would McT since he doesnt want to receive the ball at all

CloneMC16

I think Fred’s a much better player than McT. Not today though. McT played a bit better than usual and Fred played a lot worse.

So depressing seeing him anchoring midfield when we all know how shit he is in that position. How can every single United fan know this and the manager somehow not realise?
I thought both were very bad. I would have subbed McT. He was on a yellow and doing little to nothing.

I don't understand that. We finally had Rangnick that realised Fred is a #8 and now we're back to square one. I guess ETH doesn't want to play McT there. He should stop chasing FDJ and get a player that will actually come and play for us.

Not only was Fred played as our deep-lying playmaker (a position that we know he's not good enough in), he was left even more exposed today by every single one of our other midfielders playing far further forward. One of them (I would have thought Scott, but watching Eriksen drop into that role it should have been him) should have been playing alongside him.

He was poor, but he's not completely to blame when he blatantly shouldn't be playing in that role. Hopefully ETH learns something from that. There will be games where Fred will have to be used in that deeper role, but he should never be left that alone and exposed again.
Agreed. It was like an Ole match. We were so open and Fred was playing in midfield alone. It was a strange set up. There was so much space in midfield and down the flanks. I don't understand why McT was asked to play so high up the pitch. After watching Eriksen do well in a deeper role, I assume ETH will attempt to use him there instead.

Ludens the Red

People call our fanbase mental and toxic but when youre a fanbase who have had to put up with four managers using Fred and Mctominay Im actually starting to question how we still have sane fans.

Abraxas

Have to say I have advocated for him this season, I thought/think he'll have a good one. But dear me, that was a slow start. Played us into trouble, unreliable. Not what ETH wants from that "connector" role as he calls it. I think Eriksen might have to be the makeshift option.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've always maintained that he's much better than Mctominay and gets unfairly put on the same level. Despite that I don't think the championing of him from some has also been in line with his displays. He's had some good runs of form but all in all he's a very erratic footballer who can go from looking like the sum of his parts to lacking any composure whatsoever.

Essentially Fred is better than Mctominay but he has a composure and precision of a prodigious 18 year old talent. He should be a backup CM whereas Mctominay should be playing in the championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.