Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Works hard for the team and disrupts the opponent's play well, but sometimes (a bit too often) that touch makes me doubt he's actually Brazilian.
The passing makes me doubt he's a midfielder.

He should be an utility player, used for games where we are not good enough to take the game to the opponent and rely on disrupting their play.

For the long run, should never be a starter here and I wonder how many times he must prove that.

Wing Attack Plan R

Enigma Fred played today. To be fair to him, he got fouled about a dozen times after receiving the ball and going to turn with it, the ref should have booked the transgressor at least one of those times. I really want us to upgrade our midfield to the point that a player like Fred isn't good enough to make our bench (shouldn't be that hard). Surely there are players out there who run their tails off and can do the basics like pass, shoot, tackle.

Remember the geese

The passing makes me doubt he's a midfielder.

He should be an utility player, used for games where we are not good enough to take the game to the opponent and rely on disrupting their play.

For the long run, should never be a starter here and I wonder how many times he must prove that.
That's exactly how he is used though. He's only playing as regularly as he is because Eriksen is injured.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That's exactly how he is used though. He's only playing as regularly as he is because Eriksen is injured.
Let's hope he is, I'd prefer to see Sabitzer get some more minutes. Think Fred has some qualities over him, but he does too. He seems far more composes and calm on the ball.

lsd

The Oracle
He is just awful. We just cannot keep starting him surely

Stadjer

He wasnt awful today but wasnt great either. I like Fred but i do expect a bit more from him. Should have done better with his passing at certain times.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Having a midfielder at united, who can't use his right foot is bizarre and a handicap.
Out of all the criticisms of Fred, this one being repeated quite often is by far the strangest. He uses his weak foot more than just about anyone else in our team. Last season Varane was the only one who was ahead of him in that aspect, and meanwhile he was absolutely lightyears ahead of Scott, Matic and even comfortably ahead of Pogba. From memory (FBRef seems to have removed the stats for some reason) Fred played something like 25-30% of his passes with his weak foot, whereas Scott and Matic were down around 5%. I never seem to see those players being criticised for it. I guess the fact Fred uses it so often means he will inevitably get it wrong occasionally, and that's all some people remember.

It's basically the current version of the 'Smalling is slow' criticisms that used to come up strangely regularly despite it obviously being the complete opposite of reality.

Oranges038

Having a midfielder at united, who can't use his right foot is bizarre and a handicap.
Having a midfielder at Utd who doesn't play on the half turn and has such limited awareness and vision is a massive handicap.

Sylar

Out of all the criticisms of Fred, this one being repeated quite often is by far the strangest. He uses his weak foot more than just about anyone else in our team. Last season Varane was the only one who was ahead of him in that aspect, and meanwhile he was absolutely lightyears ahead of Scott, Matic and even comfortably ahead of Pogba. From memory (FBRef seems to have removed the stats for some reason) Fred played something like 25-30% of his passes with his weak foot, whereas Scott and Matic were down around 5%. I never seem to see those players being criticised for it. I guess the fact Fred uses it so often means he will inevitably get it wrong occasionally, and that's all some people remember.

It's basically the current version of the 'Smalling is slow' criticisms that used to come up strangely regularly despite it obviously being the complete opposite of reality.
He regularly passes the ball with his right foot. Often progressively.

Not a good performance today. Seemed to lose every physical battle. Although was still a thorn in Betis’ side. And probably our most fouled player.
The percentage needs more context. For example, in recent games there have been many times he dribbles with it and then his limit with his right foot means hes trying to cut back or trying to open his body to pass it rather than a good one time pass.
If hes doing safe passes with his right then yeah, its why he wasnt starting ahead of Case and Eriksen.

Also I thought when we bought Matic he was too one footed as well and I also think Scott has limitations too, so the point doesnt make sense when responding to me (as its very general)

Having a midfielder at Utd who doesn't play on the half turn and has such limited awareness and vision is a massive handicap.
Dont get me wrong, I think Fred does a job for us. But I dont think we can get to where we want with him starting majority of games. Higher up he will chip in with some goals and some good stuff, but overall, for me anyway, hes not a starter for a team wanting to seriously challenge.

MadDogg

The percentage needs more context. For example, in recent games there have been many times he dribbles with it and then his limit with his right foot means hes trying to cut back or trying to open his body to pass it rather than a good one time pass.
If hes doing safe passes with his right then yeah, its why he wasnt starting ahead of Case and Eriksen.
He'll regularly play medium-range passes out to wingers/fullbacks as well. It's not just easy ones. Obviously he's more comfortable on his left and there will be some moments that he doesn't make that pass with his weak, but the same can be said for almost all players. At the end of the day Fred is more comfortable playing passes with his weak foot, and plays more of them of harder difficulty, than the vast majority of football players. So it's strange that a couple of times a season I see people talk about him not using it.

Sylar

He'll regularly play medium-range passes out to wingers/fullbacks as well. It's not just easy ones. Obviously he's more comfortable on his left and there will be some moments that he doesn't make that pass with his weak, but the same can be said for almost all players. At the end of the day Fred is more comfortable playing passes with his weak foot, and plays more of them of harder difficulty, than the vast majority of football players. So it's strange that a couple of times a season I see people talk about him not using it.
Because there are annoying occasions when it happens which results in moves being broken down, by him not using it. It was obvious yesterday hence why it was pointed out. And it happens quite a few times hence why its pointed out.

As I said, your numbers are all well and good, but requires context behind it. Maybe the glaring big ones stick out and are remembered (which I guess is unfair if he makes more than often not but thats the feeling I get)

MadDogg

Because there are annoying occasions when it happens which results in moves being broken down, by him not using it. It was obvious yesterday hence why it was pointed out. And it happens quite a few times hence why its pointed out.

As I said, your numbers are all well and good, but requires context behind it.
Would you expect other players to make similar passes with their weak? Considering what we see from them every week, I generally wouldn't.

The context is that you said that 'Having a midfielder at united, who can't use his right foot is bizarre and a handicap', when in reality he uses his weak foot more than just about anyone else in the team. So he obviously can use his right foot, and does so often.

Sylar

Would you expect other players to make similar passes with their weak? Considering what we see from them every week, I generally wouldn't.

The context is that you said that 'Having a midfielder at united, who can't use his right foot is bizarre and a handicap', when in reality he uses his weak foot more than just about anyone else in the team. So he obviously can use his right foot, and does so often.
Considering ive seen Casemiro, Bruno and Eriksen do so, and before that, then yes, I would expect it.
Just because Scott, or Matic didnt, doesnt mean thats the standard we want here.

As I said, Fred does a good job. And yes, I exaggerated a point to make the point (wasnt expecting it to be taken literally). But once again, you havent provided any context to the numbers you provided before with regards to him using his right foot. If Fred uses his weaker foot more than Bruno, it doesnt mean much without context.

Newcastle 2:0 Man Utd

Idxomer

What's going on here? Only 1 start since the Liverpool game and that was in the dead rubber against Betis.

He's the best option we got in midfield when both Eriksen and Casemiro are out.

Irwin99

Thought he had a break from the international games recently? Thought he was a cert to start.

MadDogg

With Scott and Sabitzer doing so well in the international break, I can understand ETH hoping they'd do it together today. But in hindsight (and my thinking before the match) Fred would have been the better choice. He's not great at playing out of the back, but he's still comfortably better than Scott and Sabitzer at it. He at least makes himself available and tries to act as somewhat of a playmaker.

Man Utd 1:0 Brentford

ETH clearly sees a midfield pairing of Casemiro and Fred, or Scott and Sabitzer. The first is more about controlling a game, the second is more physical and about disrupting an opponent. I'm glad we finally have a manager who understands the two styles don't fit together but the Scott/Sabitzer partnership is so far below the other two.

Kingofwinners

ETH clearly sees a midfield pairing of Casemiro and Fred, or Scott and Sabitzer. The first is more about controlling a game, the second is more physical and about disrupting an opponent. I'm glad we finally have a manager who understands the two styles don't fit together but the Scott/Sabitzer partnership is so far below the other two.
Probably right in the fit of players but grouping Fred with Casemiro and saying he is better than the other two is very generous. Casemiro, Eriksen and probably Bruno are good midfielders at the level we need. Fred, McT and Sabitzer are solid squad options but we shouldn’t need all three and ideally we need someone brought in at a higher level than any of them so the drop in quality from the first three is not so large.

Probably right in the fit of players but grouping Fred with Casemiro and saying he is better than the other two is very generous. Casemiro, Eriksen and probably Bruno are good midfielders at the level we need. Fred, McT and Sabitzer are solid squad options but we shouldn’t need all three and ideally we need someone brought in at a higher level than any of them so the drop in quality from the first three is not so large.
He's obviously miles better than McTominay and so far it looks like Sabitzer too. We shouldn't lump him in with that group. Eriksen meanwhile has become very overrated, his passing is incisive but hes lightweight and gets played through easily. Realistically we keep Fred and Eriksen as they provide different squad options and offload McTominay and Sabitzer, but (Bruno excluded) Casemiro is the only central midfielder genuinely good enough to play every week and he's 31 now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's obviously miles better than McTominay and so far it looks like Sabitzer too. We shouldn't lump him in with that group. Eriksen meanwhile has become very overrated, his passing is incisive but hes lightweight and gets played through easily. Realistically we keep Fred and Eriksen as they provide different squad options and offload McTominay and Sabitzer, but (Bruno excluded) Casemiro is the only central midfielder genuinely good enough to play every week and he's 31 now.
Yup. Agree with this. With the one proviso that Sabitzer has played hardly any football for us and settling into a new team in central midfield probably takes longer than any other position. You need to familiarise yourself with the movement and preferences of your new team mates in every position on the pitch. Which takes time.

Kingofwinners

Not sure how you can say he’s miles better than McTominay. Neither of them are particularly good midfielders. Equating Fred to Eriksen…. Doesn’t seem a serious post.

stevoc

It looks like Erik doesn't trust Fred when Casemiros not available. Which makes sense as most of his better performances this season have came beside Casemiro.

Realistically though he should be moved on this summer with McTominay if we bring a top midfielder in and a back up for Casemiro.

Casemiro, Eriksen, new midfielder, back-up DM and maybe Sabitzer should be what we're looking at for next season.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Fred isn't miles better than any reasonable PL midfielder. He's a midfielder that struggles with passing ffs.

Wing Attack Plan R

Fred isn't miles better than any reasonable PL midfielder. He's a midfielder that struggles with passing ffs.
Notice also that our opponents are happy to let him shoot, they almost never try to stop one of his errant missiles into row z.

whoever said it here first should be lionized, but that comment about Fred being excellent at breaking up play for both teams is bang on the money.

SAF is the GOAT

Will be an extremely poor decision to renew his contract
We really don't have any choice in this.

We have too many Midfielders that we need to move on. We can't replace all of them in 1 summer, it's not practical.

And I haven't talked about our other positions yet that need replacing

caid

He’s miles better than McTominay
McTominay has height for set pieces. Which is pretty important when casemiro is injured to be fair. I was ok with him when eriksen was playing with him at the start of the season, he was a good foil for him
I think Freds a better player, i think mctominay might be better casemiro cover. I'd probably want to move both on pretty soon and Freds contract being up doesn't help his case.
Its another thing thats kind of in limbo because its dependent on if we have money to spend on replacements and how much. We might need to keep both

Status
Not open for further replies.