Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Yes same.

I saw quite a few players saying Shaw was MOTM. His cross was absolute class but he amongst pretty much everyone else had really poor individual games. Fred included but he put out so many fires today and was arguably our most 'consistent' player. He's never going to get the assist or do match changing moments but his energy and chaos is much needed, however risky that is.

Only player who probably deserved MOTM was Martinez for me and that's coming on a sub playing for only 30mins :lol:
Leeds are not an easy team to play midfield against, huge energy and aggression and they flood the central areas. Eriksen likely gets rushed out of a game like that and can't cope with the tempo, we have seen that this season already.

I don't think many had poor games today, maybe untidy ones at times but it was a battle throughout, it was never going to a pretty, flowing game with easy possession. The type of match Utd have been rolled over in the past, had to show some spine and guys like Fred were key to that.

Ludens the Red

Motm my arse :lol: He was good at nipping balls etc. but very rarely showed for the ball when our centre backs had it. Think he was afraid of the ball after midweek.

El__Jingo

a lot of idiots in this chat have egg on their faces and i love to see it, is fred the man you want to unlock a defence when youre at home..no

is he a great option to have in games like this.. Yes.

put some respect on this lads name because i tell you what, if you ask his team mates do they value his attributes it would be a unanimous YES

criticalanalysis

It was his quick pass to Wout, who then played in Garnacho.

Typical Fred involvement. Under the radar and seemingly 'low impact' but equally important imo. Don't want to overstate it as it's what we should be expecting but I just wanted to point that out.

Super Schweini

a lot of idiots in this chat have egg on their faces and i love to see it, is fred the man you want to unlock a defence when youre at home..no

is he a great option to have in games like this.. Yes.

put some respect on this lads name because i tell you what, if you ask his team mates do they value his attributes it would be a unanimous YES
An option for these types of games shouldn't be getting the game time Fred is. Egg on no one's faces.

Played well today but don't think you would need to look far for an upgrade.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
More back to his usual that. Getting the freedom to run around and having Sabitzer sitting
It looked like a one man midfield tbh, he was getting everywhere even the positions where Sabitzer should be mopping, he wasn't involved at all but then again it's not like he's Casimiro no6 and up to the pace of the EPL yet.

I think in the remainder of the season we might find out that Sabitzer is a lot like Fred, combative all-action midfielder with a very rounded skillset, could give Fred a breather when Cas is back and we can save Fred for some of the games, because I don't know where he gets this stamina and energy from, but srely it's not inifinite. Probably got something to do with the lack of games when strangely inferior McTominay and to some extent Eriksen got preffered in some games.

Irwin99

The gods flipped the coin and sent us the good version of Fred today :D . Thought he was tireless and kept driving the team on even though we were struggling with their press.

Red Rash

Better than he has been but still I think it was a pretty average performance. Fred will always give you energy and win balls back but his quality on the ball is inconsistent at best.

El Zoido

He was good today. I feared the worst when he got booked after 20 minutes but he was much better in the second half, even though you could tell he was pulling his punches in certain tackles.

El Jefe

Meh still wasn't impressed other than his energy and competitive spirit which he always brings.

Bwuk

Thought him and Sabitzer were poor together in the middle. Didn’t feel like we were ever in control.

Dve

Really good today, and my obvious MOM. 10 tackles according to Whoscored; sure last time I saw numbers like. Tidy on the ball as well.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Thought him and Sabitzer were poor together in the middle. Didn’t feel like we were ever in control.
You're just never going to have control with those two at the base of a midfield, especially when you combo that with Maguire and Bruno on either end of them. Both Fred and Sabitzer are attack minded 8's.

Our biggest issue was building up which was largely Maguire's fault, as it led to us being unable to control the game at all in possession.

stevoc

Much better? He litereally went from the worst player in the history of the club to MOTM :lol:
Yeah so he was much better than he was on Wednesday. :smirk:

After tonight's performance I'd like to see us give Fred a rest against Leeds away on Sunday. I'd try Bruno/Sabitzer or more likely Martinez in there with Sabitzer and keep Fred on the bench for some energy if we need it.

Having said that given how wildly erratic his performances are he could play and be MOTM on sunday.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

His use of the ball is horrific but Fred played an important role today. In a match that was played like a cup tie, Fred got about and did more good than bad.

Frank White

Couldn't be any worse then he was last outing so huge improvement on that front but overall wasn't that impressed especially not MOTM.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Meh still wasn't impressed other than his energy and competitive spirit which he always brings.
It depends on how you see it. He didn't do much in the midfield to prevent Leeds from dragging us down to their level. Neither did Sabitzer, for that matter. But he did his part in the dogfight that followed.

I agree that we must learn to win these games by playing football. But it's still early days. The problem with Solskjaer was that, three years down the line, we were still relying on running and heroics to get the three points. We need a functioning midfield. Both goals were initiated from Fred and Sabitzer making the right decision in the centre of the park. The problem was that, throughout the game, these moments were few and far between.

All the tactical changes today, WW as a false #10/Martinez as a ball-playing centre-half and Shaw on the wing to help progress play, were aiming to make up for our inadequacy to play through the middle.

kundalini

I thought Fred performed very well today. He was one of the few players who managed to make progressive passes, got back to help the defence regularly and made 10 successful tackles out of 13 attempts.

fallengt

Summed up Fred
How can someone consistently goes from worst player in history to world beater in matter of minutes. Exaggerated but you get the point

Lost bear

It was his quick pass to Wout, who then played in Garnacho.

Typical Fred involvement. Under the radar and seemingly 'low impact' but equally important imo. Don't want to overstate it as it's what we should be expecting but I just wanted to point that out.
Yes, good point.

Skills

Snitch
Summed up Fred
How can someone consistently goes from worst player in history to world beater in matter of minutes. Exaggerated but you get the point
He's a flawed player, who can add a lot of value if used correctly. He's basically the type of player who shows, why managers/coaches role exists in the first place. If you could have 11 programmable robots, we could feck off the managerial role for good.

ti vu

He's much better than midweek, but I don't see a great game from him, other than individual stats.

At 0-0 the game was at balance, and Fred could not prevent Leeds chances that may tip the scoreline, and one of their player winning the MOTM award. We're not really in full control despite than much superior possession stats.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He played very poorly in the last game, but contrary to the hysteria in here, that was actually the outlier in his performances; not today. I think he has been consistently good this season, with the odd poor performance (shock! horror!). Got through a lot of work today, a phenomenal amount in fact, which was what was needed with both Casemiro and Eriksen out. Can't really ask more from him. Was very tidy on the ball too.

He's a very valuable squad player, and I would venture one of the very best "reserve" CMs in the league. By that I mean, when everyone is fit he isn't in the starting XI; and I struggle to think of many CMs that clubs have, that they can draft in as a replacement, who is better than Fred. It is also clear that he is content with being a squad player. Players like him are essential for a competitive squad. I know people want to have a Verratti or De Jong quality player ready to come in when we need them, but that's just not realistic. Fred is happy to sit on the bench for most of the games, and then you bring him in for games like today, to close out matches, or cover for injuries and he produces a performance like that, which includes most tackles in a PL game in over two years, and leads - or is near the top - of about every metric for midfield performance in the match.

You guys need to value him way more.

Oldham

What a performance from Fred today. Brilliant.
That's what he can do, but just wish he'd do it more often.

Scottynaldinho

Strange player? I get mad when I see him in the starting lineup against the weaker teams. I also get mad when I don't see him on the lineup against the better teams.

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s such a strange player. I think EtH will have had a strong word following Wednesdays outing but he pulled his socks up and did what he needed to do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems everyone can calm down now. Dreadful as he was midweek, there was such an overreaction on here.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He reminds me of a lesser version of Park. Park used to be a bit useless when we needed to unlock a defence. But games with high intensity he was vital.

Even when he has a terrific game like he did today, you still get a sizeable amount of posters claiming he was average.

Well done Fred.

Litch

I must admit, I love this guy. Absolutely shocking on Weds and to come back with that performance today.....the guy has balls you need to carry in a wheelbarrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.