Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
It’s funny the way Fred so often gets singled out as a problem when the team as a whole is playing poorly. It’s a big factor in the whole “shite in the first half, world class in the second” meme. He’s so well established as a whipping boy the majority of the frustration which should be aimed at the team in general gets aimed at him, specifically. Throw in one or two obvious errors from Fred (over 45 minutes of football) and he’s immediately the worst player in the world.

In our last two matches ETH made half time tweaks that had almost nothing to do with Fred and the team performance improved dramatically, the feel good vibes began and suddenly everyone starts recognising all the good stuff that Fred is doing. I’m willing to bet that a statistical analysis of his performance in the first and second half of these matches would reveal nowhere near as much of a difference as you’d think.
Happy that someone else is trying fight this absolutely stupid bias toward one of our key players. I have been doing it for years for Fred and some other underappreciated players but perhaps using some more aggressive rhetorics which never worked on a football forum like this.

All in all at least now having a world class manager can highlight the real value of some players and change their limited view. It really should stop the BS like: "He was good but..." "But it's Fred..." "Fred the enigma..." still I dont understand why a player must be shit in the first half, just because he's absolute world class in the second half. What are people trying to prove here?

Fred is one our best players not just a squad player, definitely in the context of subpar managers we have had before playing him out of position with overall inept tactics and worse performing players around him with the very best example of McTominay or Pogba playing next to him for so ling unable to fulfill basic midfield tasks...

He's doing it game by game and has to prove his worth and it only takes one bad pass or a game to take away all of his outstanding performances. Ridiculous. While this is absolutely normal with the world class players like De bruyne, Casemiro and others to have a bad pass or a bad game, we slate one of our most important players who's not flawless but give his all every game while providing excellent both defensive and attacking output week in week out.

Another myth which is very annoying is his shooting ability, of course, he is not Scholes to hit hard from midfield every time having a chance, but looking at how many chances "much better attacking players" like Bruno, Rashford, Ronaldo, Sancho have fecked up in shooting positionit's kinda crazy it's onyl Fred who's got the stick for it who wins 5 times more balls than them all together, which creates many turnovers and goalscoring opportunities.

Same goes with his passing, which is not flawless, but is at much higher tempo than others which keeps us ticking, is one touch most often and is not verydifferent to De Jong or Verratti. Those are very limited long passers who hardly break defenses with a long pass a la carrick or Scholes or Erriksen.

Those passes are rare anyway and overall contribution is not any better than overall contribution of Fred winning the ball high up the pitch and quickly passing through the lines at high tempo.

Fred is a lot like Park Ji sung in the overall contribution (and probably better) but he will only be judged positively in the long term if we have a success as a team and that's really annoying. because he often outperforms most of the players in the team even in the bad team spells and periods with bad managers in charge.

Malone_Post

I know he has his weaknesses, and he has occasional moments that leave you scratching your head, but honestly I just absolutely love the guy. His energy, passion, workrate, personality, desire…I bet the squad adore him…he’s just such a likeable guy. He’s a player you want to get behind, you want to see him doing well. And he’s put in two monstrous performances against Barcelona in the last two weeks. He’s not the most technical player in the world, he’s not an Eriksen or a De Jong, but he brings so much to the team that I think his positives outweigh any negatives. I’m just glad we finally have a manager that recognises his strengths and plays to them…seeing Jose/Ole try and convert him into a sitting midfielder was painful & I think did him a great injustice to his actual abilities.

Reactions: Cheimoon

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think now it’s clear that between him and McTominay, Fred is the one who is strong squad player material whereas McTominay seems lacking.

Until his next horror show that is:nervous:

But fair play. After a terrible start under ETH he’s come on leaps and bounds. Would love for him to go on a run of good displays which we’ve rarely seen

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Probably tied with Bruno as our best player out of possession, he's a pressing, ball-winning beast. Still one of our worst players in possession mind, but he was better on the ball than usual yesterday.
He's a pressing beast, but actually average on ball-winning.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I agree Fred isn't really a ball winning beast watching him. I feel like most 50/50 go against him. He'd press, get close to the ball yet somehow opposition players often get the better of him and come away with the ball.

RedorDead21

Lacks consistency for me over 90 mins never mind month to month. Can get MOTM as easily as throwing in an absolute wobbler. When you have Fernandes capable of turning over possession so often it’s hard to have another player trying to out do him on that front and win games. They find a way more often than not but sometimes it doesn’t work out and often we look like a team poor in possession because of it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lacks consistency for me over 90 mins never mind month to month. Can get MOTM as easily as throwing in an absolute wobbler. When you have Fernandes capable of turning over possession so often it’s hard to have another player trying to out do him on that front and win games. They find a way more often than not but sometimes it doesn’t work out and often we look like a team poor in possession because of it.
I think this is it. Not a problem necessarily if he's your 4th/5th choice midfielder as nobody (sensible) expects the squad players to be incredible every game, but if he's in your main midfield 3 then it's a risk. I guess it can be a question of what is the right balance for Bruno to strike as well, we've seen him often playing that bit deeper this year when they've played together in the centre and obviously that's helpful if you want Fred to feel confident playing passes without us getting cut open when it goes wrong.

Litch

I know he has his weaknesses, and he has occasional moments that leave you scratching your head, but honestly I just absolutely love the guy. His energy, passion, workrate, personality, desire…I bet the squad adore him…he’s just such a likeable guy. He’s a player you want to get behind, you want to see him doing well. And he’s put in two monstrous performances against Barcelona in the last two weeks. He’s not the most technical player in the world, he’s not an Eriksen or a De Jong, but he brings so much to the team that I think his positives outweigh any negatives. I’m just glad we finally have a manager that recognises his strengths and plays to them…seeing Jose/Ole try and convert him into a sitting midfielder was painful & I think did him a great injustice to his actual abilities.
Agree. Its funny cause people talk about his inconsistencies from match to match not to mention half to half however, which player hasnt? Which manager hasn't? This has been indicative of the last 10 years at this club. We have paid 90m on players that have been inconsistent.
For me, I focus on those who dont turn up on the big games who have a much higher ceiling than focusing on those ceilings which are much lower.
We'll see tmw who turns up but what I can guarantee, Fred will do. He rarely has a poor performance in the big games once he gets over his initial nervous start.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree Fred isn't really a ball winning beast watching him. I feel like most 50/50 go against him. He'd press, get close to the ball yet somehow opposition players often get the better of him and come away with the ball.
He loses more than the average player. However he also wins more than the average player. He simply attempts to win the ball far more than the vast majority of players out there, so he's going to be high in both regards. When he was playing as the main defensive midfielder that's not exactly what you want so it did cost us at times, but in his current position the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm warming up to the idea of keeping him as back up.

He does put up world class performances when the occasion suits him.

PoTMS

It's like he needs 30-45 minutes to get him in the mood. We should set up a reserve team game for him to play simultaneously alongside our first team games. Let him play the first half in the reserve game to "warm up" then bring him on in the second half.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He’s quite good at it. Depends on your idea of ‘beast.’ Whom would you say is at beast level?
Casemiro in our squad. I just see so often Fred was easily outmuscled by opponents. The reason he has high numbers of turnover, probably because he pressed so often. But you're right it depends on our idea of 'beast'.

EDIT: Yeah. As @Santoryo and @MadDogg posted above.

Last edited:

Raven

It's like he needs 30-45 minutes to get him in the mood. We should set up a reserve team game for him to play simultaneously alongside our first team games. Let him play the first half in the reserve game to "warm up" then bring him on in the second half.
Perhaps he needs a more intense warm up or maybe it's because teams want to start strongly against us and it's more of a battle for the first half hour or so.

Olecurls99

He loses more than the average player. However he also wins more than the average player. He simply attempts to win the ball far more than the vast majority of players out there, so he's going to be high in both regards. When he was playing as the main defensive midfielder that's not exactly what you want so it did cost us at times, but in his current position the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.
Very good point

He's not a great tackler because he's not strong, but that's much less an issue at 8 when you're usually 60 yards from goal with 4 or 5 teammates behind you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Totally unscientific but I wonder if the fact he takes longer to get fully up to speed has something to do with his insane stamina and durability and the way he’s still working so hard at the end of the game? Some sort of weird physiological quirk maybe?

Sylar

Happy for him and good performance especially on a yellow card for that first half

Good performance but both he and Casemiro looked tired early on, which is to be expected.

Bobski

Thought that was one of his poorer recent peformances, very sloppy on the ball, did very well pressing Guimares giving him few options to pass forward but he never quite got to his recent tempo and rhythm. Tough ask given the physical toll of Thursday.

Rotate him out for a game to freshen him up.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I love him, most misunderstood player for me, but he is such an honest player and gives so much, I can't not like him.

Does he misplace passes? Yes. But he really can help us in certain games.

Lecland07

I thought he was good, but looked tired. He dealt with the yellow well and limited the referees chances to send him off. Did well against Guimaraes.

He has played a lot recently, so he probably needs a rest in the next game with one or two others.

Bobski

Love me some Fred.

Really good off the bench this year, it is what got his confidence flowing leading to his recent form, just hits the tempo immediately.

Alemar

His goal scoring record this year is impressive. To be a joint third team goalscorer is no joke, 6 already

Status
Not open for further replies.