Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
The transition from defense to attack should be great now. I`d like to see the midfield three of Fred - Herrera and Pogba, would be a lot more dynamic but still defensively solid, if you convince Pogba to work harder, we could have a great pressing midfield, with Sanchez on one side and Willian on the other, we could in fact apply pressure almost anywhere on the pitch if lukaku gets on it too. Then Alderwireld and Smalling/Bailly sweeping :drool:

I think this signing could turn out to be a much better signing then people can imagine, we would`t be signing just another option to midfield but changing our play possibly. That would have to mean that Matic should become more of a squad player and could rotate in with Herrera if we want to sit deeper and play more on counters.

OL29

Will improve us defensively I think but going forward I don't think we will improve much against defensive sides. He does not seem to have the passing range and vision of a world class midfielder which is what we need to improve attacking wise in possession. Epl will not allow him penetration in the midfield attacking wise like he has in Shaktar, thus will result in passing the ball diagonally sideways which is a problem we face even with Matic.

A good work rate and tenacity player but those qualities tend to fade away with age and fitness problems but the class of a playmaker with vision and passing range always remains the same. You can always count Modric , Alonso , Carrick ,Scholes Xavi ,Iniesta ,Schweinsteiger Kroos in world-class category but I am not sure players like Ramires, Matuidi Even Vidal to some extent make it to that level consistently and I find Fred in the Second category of Midfielders unfortunately.

If its between Jorginho and Fred I think we are once again making a wrong choice. If fred adds competition for places in Matic's position than it'll be fine, but I don't see him as Carrick's replacement one bit. We need to replace class with class on that one. I don't see him as a playmaker which will make Man united a Fearsome side of Fergie days, which we have seen all our lives specially who were born after Fergie took over.
Did you miss his spell with us?

And I don't think we need to worry about Fred losing his combative abilities just yet, he's 25, the perfect age.

Decomposing In Paris

Could Fred be seen as a replacement/competition for Herrera given his B2B attributes? I accept his goal threat and creativity don't have me licking my lips at present but a dynamic breaker of play/ball carrier in the Kante mould could be just what Jose is after.
A big part of the problem last year was that Pogba, Carrick, Fellaini, and Herrera, all spent much of last season on the treatment table, and Matic got driven into the ground. Fred's got great energy, he can break the lines, good dribbler, a decent passer of the ball too. He's not the same as Kante, but I can see him operating in a similar role. Don't see him as replacing Herrera, but he'd be a good addition!

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Will improve us defensively I think but going forward I don't think we will improve much against defensive sides. He does not seem to have the passing range and vision of a world class midfielder which is what we need to improve attacking wise in possession. Epl will not allow him penetration in the midfield attacking wise like he has in Shaktar, thus will result in passing the ball diagonally sideways which is a problem we face even with Matic.

A good work rate and tenacity player but those qualities tend to fade away with age and fitness problems but the class of a playmaker with vision and passing range always remains the same. You can always count Modric , Alonso , Carrick ,Scholes Xavi ,Iniesta ,Schweinsteiger Kroos in world-class category but I am not sure players like Ramires, Matuidi Even Vidal to some extent make it to that level consistently and I find Fred in the Second category of Midfielders unfortunately.

If its between Jorginho and Fred I think we are once again making a wrong choice. If fred adds competition for places in Matic's position than it'll be fine, but I don't see him as Carrick's replacement one bit. We need to replace class with class on that one. I don't see him as a playmaker which will make Man united a Fearsome side of Fergie days, which we have seen all our lives specially who were born after Fergie took over.
We replaced Keane with Carrick so I don`t see a problem to have a different kind of player now, except there will probably be another midfielder coming..

Also with Fred in midfield , his transition to attack and workrate, we could be pressing higher up the pitch and more openings come for us. We looked prety good at the start of the season but then totally useless in that regard and Fred looks like ap layer who could make our midfield work faster. As I said in my previous comment Herrera-Fred-Pogba in combination with Sanchez and Willian could apply some great pressure higher up the pitch and make us play much more aggressive, then we can always set up with Matic and Pogba in midfield but that makes us a bit too slow in build up even though a bit more solid defensively, while defensing in a deep block.

In other addition Jorginho is hardly Fabregas, hes a solid holding midfielder who can pass the ball but I dont believe hes even on the same level as Carrick in terms of passing, hes a bit overrated by media and fans in my view. We should get some proper winger on the right fix our fullback issues, make Pogba play well, and that should add a lot of creativity itself by adding a dynamic midfielder.. however I believe there might be one more coming, a bit more creative, in fact R. Neves would be a great fit to have a fantastic set of midfielder capable to set up different ways, but hes not coming this summer so maybe Savic, but hes a bit too slow and not DLP, what would be my choice along with Fred the red

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A big part of the problem last year was that Pogba, Carrick, Fellaini, and Herrera, all spent much of last season on the treatment table, and Matic got driven into the ground. Fred's got great energy, he can break the lines, good dribbler, a decent passer of the ball too. He's not the same as Kante, but I can see him operating in a similar role. Don't see him as replacing Herrera, but he'd be a good addition!
Indeed, I'd stop short of saying he'll be 'our Kante' but an all-action player displaying some of those attributes could work very nicely for us, though I appreciate some people will want more proven goal threat and creativity from our midfield additions.

Treble

Have a feeling Fred will be a good signing. Dynamic and good on the ball.

Hojoon

Whoever's in charge of our social media accounts must be salivating over the thought of #FredtheRed hashtags.

Sanche7

From Wiki

"Fred tested positive for the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide in a sample collected at the 2015 Copa América.[8][1] Finally, in March 2017, he was disqualified until July 2017"
Its not really a Performance Enhancing Drug.
Its used by athletes mainly to loose some fluid weight and to wash away drugs from their system.
So he may have used some drugs ( recreational or performance enhancing ) and didn't want to detected in a drug screen.
Does the use of HCTZ make him guilty? Not really but is it legal? Not really.

drdoityourself

I like this signing.
It suggests we're moving towards 4-3-3, and now we need someone on that right flank. The number 10's currently occupying that role are Mata and Lingard. A natural right winger has to be bought for balance.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Good signing. Now, I hope Mourinho listen to the other signing I hoped for. E.g., two wide attackers(Willian & Bailey/Pulisic/Sessegnon), two fullbacks(Ordorizola & Sandro/Tierney). If Fellaini and Blind leaves, we may need one more midfielder. Then, I will feel more confident going into next season.

DownRiver

Many south Americans fail at Man utd. Let's hope he doesn't, I have hope mainly because he has succeeded in Ukraine of all places.

GM K

I have said it before, players like Fred are perfect for Jose. Hardworking, efficient with the ball, strong, and tactical minded. He is not a prima donna and he's very hungry. Fred will certainly improve our midfield.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Its not really a Performance Enhancing Drug.
Its used by athletes mainly to loose some fluid weight and to wash away drugs from their system.
So he may have used some drugs ( recreational or performance enhancing ) and didn't want to detected in a drug screen.
Does the use of HCTZ make him guilty? Not really but is it legal? Not really.
Bit of a politicians answer.
I doubt he's a budding chemist, so it's used to get something out the system and he would have known that.
Regardless if it was recreational or PE, it's firstly illegal and secondly against the laws of the game.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Around 45 million pounds sounds like a good price. And he's not even tall.

Many south Americans fail at Man utd. Let's hope he doesn't, I have hope mainly because he has succeeded in Ukraine of all places.
It's a bit of a concern yes, particularly if we go for more Brazilians like Sandro and Talisca too. Based on comments of someone like Anderson it can be quite a transition, though in the end plenty of players can perform very well despite not being fully settled in. And like you said, he's done well in Ukraine already. I guess plenty of other European players can fail to settle in too, Davy Klaassen at Everton for example, so there's always a risk.

GM K

Really excited about this guy. A defensive midfielder who can also do the playmaking stuff. Will free up Pogba to do his thing so he'll be back to his Juve level next season.

This bloke might just be the missing link to gel the team even though I know it's still going to be a very compact defensive minded team but Jose's teams in his first Chelsea stint were mostly fun to watch and usually won about 4-0 so maybe next season is when it all finally gels.
Nope.

Fred is very much an all rounder midfielder. CM, CAM, CDM and he can even play as an AM when you are out of options. He's the type of player that gives a tactical minded manager like Jose, serious flexibility in the midfield.

Pogba could be such a player (in the 'all round' sense) considering his incredible combination of attributes but we have found out painfully this season that he seems to mostly thrive when pushed further forward.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He won't bitch about the weather, that's for sure.

In other story, I'm kinda perplexed Mourinho still doesn't want Portuguese talents here.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Going only from YouTube, I like the look of him. Seems to be productive with the ball. He either drives forward and attacks the space, or he distributes the ball quickly.

Seems like a tempo-controller.

Should be an interesting one.
Always good to see us signing players who will feature in World Cup - adds to the interest of the games.

GM K

Herrera with technique. Not Essien mould. And he is not the big a tackler, nor is he fast or strong...
I agree that he is an upgrade from Herrera, but its not likely he will improve us significantly or develope into a great player.
There are better and younger players for the same amount or less. Jean Michael Seri and Lucas Torrera are two.
Fred will definitely improve our midfield significantly. I can tell you that for sure.

Mcking

Why is it that no one is worried about Fred being leftfooted? Are we going to play with inverted CMs or what?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Should be confirmed soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.