Frenkie de Jong| Off to Barca - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He’s a few years younger, but Joe Gomez is infinitely more talented. De Ligt is a cumbersome Harry Maguire type who’ll become very good, but not elite.
So wrong.

The attraction of De Ligt is that he's a really good footballer - excellent on the ball, really high football IQ, a knack for anticipating plays and positioning - who also happens to be a pretty capable central defender. You could slide him up into midfield and after an adjustment period he wouldn't look out of place in a possession oriented team. He is a completely different player than a cumbersome Harry Maguire type.

Not even going to talk about the Joe Gomez part of the comment.

SATA

We really need to sign this lad. He's the perfect transition from defence to offence, and he does it even better than Carrick. Anybody at the club that we can convince him to come? Otherwise offer him more money which we are good at

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
So wrong.

The attraction of De Ligt is that he's a really good footballer - excellent on the ball, really high football IQ, a knack for anticipating plays and positioning - who also happens to be a pretty capable central defender. You could slide him up into midfield and after an adjustment period he wouldn't look out of place in a possession oriented team. He is a completely different player than a cumbersome Harry Maguire type.

Yeah in terms of his mobility, he's more mobile than say Alderweireld.

In terms of his ability on the ball... he's quality. He's even two footed.

Mcking

He’s a few years younger, but Joe Gomez is infinitely more talented. De Ligt is a cumbersome Harry Maguire type who’ll become very good, but not elite.
I will take Joe Gomez over De Ligt any day of the week.

Thiagoal

We really need to sign this lad. He's the perfect transition from defence to offence, and he does it even better than Carrick. Anybody at the club that we can convince him to come? Otherwise offer him more money which we are good at
For the first time ever.. it's a shame LVG has gone; he'd have snapped up De Jong no question!

Mcking

I'd be very happy if we get him. We certainly do need a DM and a player like him.

Member 93275

Man, him and Pogba would be such a combination. He'd free Pogba. He'd feed the runners like Martial and Sanchez. But I think after this season he'll either 1) stay another year at Ajax, b) go to Barca, c) go to ManCity. Because that's where his football his played. The only way to bypass that would be to offer excessively more to Ajax than the others are prepared to pay, and reach excessively better personal agreements with Frenkie. I doubt it, he's not that kind of character. And even if you'd manage, where would his hearth be? (I'm looking at Sanchez...)

Mcking

Man, him and Pogba would be such a combination. He'd free Pogba. He'd feed the runners like Martial and Sanchez. But I think after this season he'll either 1) stay another year at Ajax, b) go to Barca, c) go to ManCity. Because that's where his football his played. The only way to bypass that would be to offer excessively more to Ajax than the others are prepared to pay, and reach excessively better personal agreements with Frenkie. I doubt it, he's not that kind of character. And even if you'd manage, where would his hearth be? (I'm looking at Sanchez...)
De Jong - Pogba - Fred - Pereira

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
So wrong.

You re making him sound like Blind. Why is he better than Blind? Hype aside?

BTW we should get Frenkie to make up for the anger I still hold after United failed to get Eriksen.

Member 93275

Not yet at this stage of his development, might be, but just that it is a silly comparison. I like Blind. You know all about him, great to have him in the squad. De Ligt is in an entirely different contest, for End Boss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johan07

Exactly was what said about Fred a couple of months ago). No one will "free" Pogba as long as Mourinho is the manager. I agree he will end up at Barcelona or City. Understandable to be honest.

L1nk

Excessive use of smilies
:lol:

A cumbersome Harry Maguire type, genuinely cannot tell if you are trolling

Last edited by a moderator:

SATA

Now imagine Barca getting both Frenkie and Pogba next summer. Their midfield would be sorted when it could be ourselves!

Member 93275

Exactly was what said about Fred a couple of months ago). No one will "free" Pogba as long as Mourinho is the manager. I agree he will end up at Barcelona or City. Understandable to be honest.
Yeah I thought the same about Fred. Why didn't it work out under Mourinho? Free The Pogba!

Now imagine Barca getting both Frenkie and Pogba next summer. Their midfield would be sorted when it could be ourselves!
I think that was their dream last transfer period, but it didn't work out. And now it's too late, they cannot pay both. United for the steal! :devil:

LuckyScout78

Since i have been start scouting. Back when i scouted Lewandoski playing for Lech Poznan in 2009. I have never seen a better upcoming cm playmaker talent. This boy has worldclass all written over him. And im sure he is meant to play for a future champion league club/team. Those kind of talent and quality is never meant to play for second best and runner up team. Top quality players always plays for top and best club.

So conclusion is. If i have paid around 90£ mill for Pogba few years back. I would easily pay 150£ mill for this boy. This kind of player and quality. You get to buy. If you want to win ch.league in the future. Its same level as Mbappe. Im sure Mbappe will win ch.league in the future too. De Jong will dominate and i believe he will be top 2 cm playmaker in the future of world football. Definitive belong to run and buy before other get him category. Its pure pleasure watching him playing so far. What a player of cm playmaker. He is definitive a nr.8, not nr.6. He is already a top class cm playmaker. Not many cm playmaker can do what he is doing on the pitch in the world rite now, include the big boys. Stand up and hat of to this boy, already.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
You re making him sound like Blind. Why is he better than Blind? Hype aside?

BTW we should get Frenkie to make up for the anger I still hold after United failed to get Eriksen.
Blind had fundamental athletic limitations - not quick enough, not competitive in the air - that really held him back as a central defender. From what I've seen, De Ligt isn't the most physically imposing player but is a pretty good athlete, especially in terms of quickness.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Both these guys look like absolutely top notch prospects but to claim they're nailed on to become world class or among the best in the world at their positions is going too far. So many things can happen to a footballer between the ages of 20-25.

Sokz

Baseless, throwaway comments like this remind of when a poster here once said there was a better chance of signing Messi than Gundogan.
Idk Gundogan that well but Frenkie is a player who above everything in his career (money, fame, prices even) want to enjoy the game. Don't think any of our current squad enjoys playing right now and especially if you compare us to city & barca the gap is huge. Aside from that, both him and De Ligt also see that since SAF we've had zero players that actually improved while playing for us so if it is a smart step career wise, probably not.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I will take Joe Gomez over De Ligt any day of the week.

Joe Gomez in a few years time will be playing for the likes of Crystal Palace while De Ligt will be one of the best CB's on the planet

AP88

Supports
Man City
Maguire isn't anywhere near as talented as De Ligt is. De Ligt is excelling for his national team and against Champions League opponents at an age when Maguire was playing in League One. He's actually very solid on the ball aswell, that's why he's linked to Barcelona.
Maguire is solid on the ball too. Maguire was excelling in league one, which isn’t too dissimilar to eredivisie.

I’ve said he’ll be very good, but weirdos saying he’s going to be the best in the world need to reign it in until there is actually enough evidence to substantiate such claims.

RedDevils23

Do you watch football pal?

Do you have an agenda/bias against de Ligt or something? You're having an absolute mare in this thread. PLEASE go into detail as to why you think Gomez is better than de Ligt. DO YOU watch football, pal?

Edit : Comparing the Eredivisie to League One is fecking comical. Are you an actual troll?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maguire is solid on the ball too. Maguire was excelling in league one, which isn’t too dissimilar to eredivisie.

I’ve said he’ll be very good, but weirdos saying he’s going to be the best in the world need to reign it in until there is actually enough evidence to substantiate such claims.
You don't need substantial evidence to claim a young player is going to be the best in the world. It's obviously an assessment of potential and talent rather than achievements. It could be an incorrect prediction of course. But it doesn't need to be based on previous achievements and accolades, otherwise it wouldn't be a prediction.

Mcking

Joe Gomez in a few years time will be playing for the likes of Crystal Palace while De Ligt will be one of the best CB's on the planet
And this post highlights what I've been saying for ages. The ridiculous hype around De Ligt.
So Gomez, a starter for a top Liverpool team will certainly end up at the likes of Crystal Palace while Dutch Eredisivie superstar, De Ligt will certainly be one of the world's top CBs in a few years time.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This is not a De Ligt discussion/comparison thread — no more off-topic posts wrt. him or Gómez!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The stuff you read about this kid (De Jong) makes him seem like a proper elite talent.

LuckyScout78

I based mine views and statement on the positive thing. I focus on the positive progress and development. If everything goes his way, in a positive way. Then i hope and wish for the boy to reach his goal. To be good as possible on the pitch and reach the highest level as possible. Wish De Jong all the best.

Its same with Robert Lewandoski, when i scouted him playing for Lech Poznan. I knew and get the feeling he would one of the best striker in the world, because what he was showing when playing for Lech Poznan, it was so close to the highest level as a CF. Same with De Jong. His current level and quality is so close to the highest level of a cm player can reach. Now its about to be consistent and deliver that highest performance as most as possible, week in and week out.

Again, im focus on the positive progress, not the negatives. So may the things go his way and wish him all the best. What De Jong has achieved right now, its what im dreaming about when i was playing football as a boy, at his age or 18-21 and i wasnt neither 70 % good as him. That is how i rate his current level at this moment as a cm playmaker and football player. The boy is really really close to the highest level of cm player, a player can reach. The max level a player can reach/a world class level. And if everything go his way, in a positive way and progess. In 4-5 years time like Lewandoski before he joined Dortmund, why can he become top 2 cm player of the world and in European leagues?

Keep working hard boy, stay grounded, enjoy your football/the football and keep it simple. Never play for the gallery. And last of all with De Jong. One thing i like most of him. He is not showboating on the pitch. My cup of tea of a cm player, playing him beside a Makele kind of DCM, to totally give him freedom on the pitch, cover more area, let him play to his max level and pontential, in the offensive when the team have the ball. I would buy ticket every match to watch this boy playing football. Its already pure pleasure to watching playing football at this moment and his current level. And if things are meant to come to each other and match each others. Then he will play for the best clubs in every nations like Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barca or clubs at this top level. Time will tell, but again i always focus on the positive with give my statement and share mine views. Have a nice day everyone. Always look at the bright side of life, focus on the positive. Im sure this boy will keep working hard and enjoy his football.

Reactions: Invictus

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

No chance. Both have their strengths and weaknesses - both are very talented in their own right. No guarantee as in anything in life of both of them being world class but talent wise you’d expect injury permitting for either or both to be at the elite end of the spectrum when it comes to defenders in the next 10 years for club and country.

De Ligt has more class on the ball, stronger in the air but Gomez has better recovery pace and discipline . Against a tough and fast attacker at the moment I think Gomez is more reliable at this moment in time but both are very young. I’d expect De Ligt to end up the better player but wouldn’t be surprised if Gomez was to become the better ‘defender’.

RedB4ndiT

I know it's just a video game but on FM19, he has a defensive positioning rating of 6 out of 20. That is terrible for a defensive midfielder / central defender.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know it's just a video game but on FM19, he has a defensive positioning rating of 6 out of 20. That is terrible for a defensive midfielder / central defender.
I played FM07 for nostalgia a few months ago, and Ronaldo had a finishing rating of 10/20 & a heading rating of 6/20.

Lesson being, FM is not trustworthy haha. de Jong is more of a ball player than a defensive player. 6 is very harsh though. 10-12 would be fair.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How do you know the FM19 stats already?

Kamprad

Don’t know if it has been mentioned but de Jong has the same swedish agent as Lindelof and Im not sure thats a good thing for Mou if he want to sign de Jong.

Status
Not open for further replies.