Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

Similar to Carrick in his use of the ball in possession and hos defensive style out of it (more interceptions and reading the game than actual tackles) but that's were the similarities end for me.

Frenkie is a lot quicker, much better dribbler and more press resistant. He also goes wandering a lot more than Carrick so won't always be there to protect the back 4
My sense of the player as well. If ETH believes we should hang in there for Frenkie, we must do so.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I understood the current situation differently. I don't know the numbers exactly but it will be enough to bring the point across.
FDJ sat on a wage package of 60 million for 5 years. 10 million per year plus a stepped loyality bonus, 1 million after the first year, 2 after the second, 3 after the third, 4 after the fourth
(10+1)+(10+2)+(10+3)+(10+4)+10=60

As the virus hit he agreed to change his contract in a way, that his wage package stayed the same in total but the payments were structured differently. For example like this:
(6+1)+(6+2)+(13+3)+(13+3)+13=60

So if there are no other clauses involved in FDJ contract, and he would be transfered in his third year, than he would "lose" out the increased earnings of the fourth and fifth year.

I know the numbers aren't correct, but that is how I understood the situation, which would also be an explanation of why Barca seems intent not to pay him the defered wages, as they are simply not due. The player could sit out his contract to receive the full wage package. But if he wants to go out early, he misses the benefits.

One point seems pretty clear, he seems pretty badly advised legally and economically, if that is the case.
I think we're talking the same thing really. He will earn £X million in total over the remainder of his contract, whether it's more in year 3, 4 or 5 is kind of irrelevant.

He wouldn't want to be on less over the next few years by moving to us, especially when in his eyes (if not legally) he's already earnt most of it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Just wait till they’re back in Barcelona. Laporta will probably get someone to constantly puncture FDJ’s tires so he’s late for training, then fine him 2 weeks wages.
Joan Laporta means Fat John in Spanish. My mate told me and he's been to Spain.

NZT-One

I think we're talking the same thing really. He will earn £X million in total over the remainder of his contract, whether it's more in year 3, 4 or 5 is kind of irrelevant.

He wouldn't want to be on less over the next few years by moving to us, especially when in his eyes (if not legally) he's already earnt most of it.
Well yes, but in his eyes, he may feel that he is owed what the original contract said so 10+1 + 10+2 = 23. But with the new contract he only received 6+1 + 6+2 = 15, so it isn't entirely irrelevant when some payment is due. But not sure, if I understood your point correctly.

edit: we don't know, how all this restructuring has been done. A new contract? An amendment to the old one? Many possibilities and it would totally understandable that the player wouldn't want his old club to "save" money only because the player gave them a favour. This situation would be way more tricky from a legal side of things and to me, that seems more plausible than other variants which would be extremely easy settled as the law is pretty obvious.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They are obviously trying to push him out with comments like these his manager is clearly telling him he isn’t in his plans in midfield
It becomes an issue though when your club openly agrees to sell you, moves you from your favourite position, puts you on the bench and then publicly tells you you’re seen as a centre half despite them buying two new centre halves this summer.

It obvious what’s going on here
No white text? :confused:
They had Mascherano, one of the best DM in the world at that time, to play CB. If that's the position his manager has for him, a position that he had play before, it's not that outrageous. Fred has moved around from 8 to 6 to whatever now. Whether he can hold any position in starting XI, it depends his performance.

It's the same when van de beek with us. His best position is 10, but we shoved him around because Bruno is better than him. He need to perform better than players in those positions he's capable of.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Weird, his way of saying he's a barca player?
I think he’s just toeing a line… hi everyone, I’m happy to stay if that’s what happens. Play me anywhere, I’m fine.

Meanwhile, United toe their line… we’ve had an offer accepted, we wait.

And Barca toe their line.. we’re a scummy club whose promises are worth jack shit and we’ll dump you at a moments notice.

Tarrou

They had Mascherano, one of the best DM in the world at that time, to play CB. If that's the position his manager has for him, a position that he had play before, it's not that outrageous. Fred has moved around from 8 to 6 to whatever now.
this has nothing whatsoever to do with where the manager wants him to play - it’s about Barca wanting him out

surely you can see this?

Infra-red

If you believe the Barcelona fans in this thread, they don’t own him the 17m because it’s meant to be paid over the remaining period of his contract.

Surely if that’s the case, any club that wants to cover the 17m can just say it’s a signing bonus to bypass FIFA/UEFA law?
They could, but why would they. You'd be paying €17m over Barca's asking price, to save Barca from having to pay the money themselves.

You can see why any buying club would be reluctant to do that, both financially, but also as a point of principle.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
this has nothing whatsoever to do with where the manager wants him to play - it’s about Barca wanting him out

surely you can see this?
True that Barca wants him out, but , in isolation, I don't see anything wrong with how Xavi treats him.

Alemar

If FDJ stays and Barca stops trying him as a CB, can he actually hope for a starting spot in midfield on merit? There are Busquets and Pedri there

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
And then what?
Go into the season with an even weaker CM? Or signed... who? Even then, if there is someone to sign, we'd already have very visibly made them second choice and they may have been less than enthusiastic.
Marching into negotiations and laying down ultimatums like you've got the biggest one in the room only works if you've got a viable backup plan.
You move on to the backup plan like a well ran club does.

But that’s clearly too much to ask from our club.

Tarrou

True that Barca wants him out, but , in isolation, I don't see anything wrong with how Xavi treats him.
I mean yeah it could just be a coincidence that they are in the middle of a contract dispute and the managers decided one of the best midfielders in the world can be shunted in at centre back

retired_muppet

The white shirt probably symbolises the white flag: Barcelona are about to surrender and pay him the 17m.
I think the hidden message is De Jong ready to wave the white flag as long as Barca can pay him 8 million instead of the owed 17.

Tony247

If you believe the Barcelona fans in this thread, they don’t own him the 17m because it’s meant to be paid over the remaining period of his contract.

Surely if that’s the case, any club that wants to cover the 17m can just say it’s a signing bonus to bypass FIFA/UEFA law?
Why would any club pay the money Frenkie supposed to get from Barca and bail out both the parties at own cost? 17m is not a small amount. If his legal team fecked up or whatever happened between him and the club, they both need to sort out between themselves.

I think united went as far as they could.

elmo

Why would any club pay the money Frenkie supposed to get from Barca and bail out both the parties at own cost? 17m is not a small amount. If his legal team fecked up or whatever happened between him and the club, they both need to sort out between themselves.

I think united went as far as they could.
I don’t think De Jong is worth the hassle either which is why the whole transfer is infuriating.

It’s De Jong, not bloody Messi/Ronaldo at their fecking prime.

We don’t need much to get an improvement over McFred. Anything would be better than going into the season with them starting in midfield ever again.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Which is who? Who is there who is a natural in that position, is available this summer, and is of sufficient quality to make them anything other than yet another expensive sticking plaster?
Yeah this is the problem.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I don’t think De Jong is worth the hassle either which is why the whole transfer is infuriating.

We don’t need much to get an improvement over McFred. Anything would be better than going into the season with them starting in midfield ever again.
Been there, done that - let’s try something new! :D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Which is who? Who is there who is a natural in that position, is available this summer, and is of sufficient quality to make them anything other than yet another expensive sticking plaster?
He's not (most likely) a paid United scout. But i'm sure you realized that already.

Gandalf

I understood the current situation differently. I don't know the numbers exactly but it will be enough to bring the point across.
FDJ sat on a wage package of 60 million for 5 years. 10 million per year plus a stepped loyality bonus, 1 million after the first year, 2 after the second, 3 after the third, 4 after the fourth
(10+1)+(10+2)+(10+3)+(10+4)+10=60

As the virus hit he agreed to change his contract in a way, that his wage package stayed the same in total but the payments were structured differently. For example like this:
(6+1)+(6+2)+(13+3)+(13+3)+13=60

So if there are no other clauses involved in FDJ contract, and he would be transfered in his third year, than he would "lose" out the increased earnings of the fourth and fifth year.

I know the numbers aren't correct, but that is how I understood the situation, which would also be an explanation of why Barca seems intent not to pay him the defered wages, as they are simply not due. The player could sit out his contract to receive the full wage package. But if he wants to go out early, he misses the benefits.

One point seems pretty clear, he seems pretty badly advised legally and economically, if that is the case.
Essentially that. He signed a 5 year deal so would have only had 2 years remaining at this point but when he negotiated the deferred contract it included tacking on 2 more years at the original base salary so that the deferred money could be spread over 4 years and not 2. This helped Barca spread the hit out and was attractive to Frenkie as his base salary was amongst the highest in Spain so 2 more years was desirable. The trouble is that the deferred amount is 17M and the base without that is still in the region of 18.5M net per year at a time when Barca want to cap salaries for even their biggest stars at 10M net per season.

Barca would happily keep Frenkie if he would take a cut to fit their new wage structure but at that point he would be giving up in the region of 50M including the already deferred amount which he is not going to do and would be crazy to accept. His just waiving the 17M does not help them as he would still be massively over the limit they want to set which plays havoc with their budget for this year and beyond not to mention the ill feeling that would be generated within the squad by having one player earning so much more than everyone else.

Morally Barca owe him the money he deferred but it seems legally they do not. Poor work from his agent but FDJ signed the extension in good faith expecting to stay and is now being squeezed to get out of the club. Laporta claims that he is legally not owed the money which may well be true and further justifies his stance by pointing out Bartomeu was the President who signed off on this and it was tantamount to a poison pill for the incoming administration. Kicking salary they could not pay down the road to make it the problem of the new board.

Despite insisting they do not owe the money it was reported widely early on that they were willing to pay a 3.5M settlement to grease the wheels, this seems to relate mostly to that portion of the deferred wages that qualified as a bonus and the sticking point is the remaining base salary that Frenkie gave up. Our decision to increase the guaranteed money in our offer by 10M was interpreted as a way to assist Barca in negotiating a settlement however there seems little evidence that Barca have done anything of the sort and they seem to be steadfast in their position that they owe nothing.

Something has to give. The money from the two tv rights sales has funded their transfer activity so far and the restructuring of some of their debt but leaves them short of being able to register their current signings and if Frenkie stays the only option to register everyone would be the so called third lever which is to sell 50% of the revenue from Barcelona Studios which they are very reluctant to do. It also only kicks the can down the road for 12 months as under the FFP rules the amount of revenue that can be spent on salaries is reducing over the next couple of years whereas Frenkie's salary number for the 2023/2024 season goes up so that creates an even bigger headache as the deferred money is not spread evenly over the 4 years and his total compensation for that season is supposedly 28M net. They need this wage gone, they also need the transfer fee to fund their pursuit of Silva who Xavi sees as a vital part of his rebuild. They do not want to pay Frenkie the 17M to make this happen, when your financial foundations are built on sand any expenditure should be avoided if at all possible but his agent know this all too well and having had his pants pulled down in the original renegotiation by not including a clause that guaranteed his deferred wages he is playing hardball as much for his own reputation as to get Frenkie his money. Knowing Barca really need this transfer to happen is all the leverage they need, Frenkie is being told to play the good soldier and not complain and I imagine every negotiation that begins without an offer of a 17M settlement is being answered with a one word 'No".

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T

"Sign anyone, it'll be an improvement," has been the mindset that's seen us end up with six centre backs, half of whom we don't trust and can't sell. Let's not inflict that on CM too.

He's not a paid United scout. But i'm sure you know that already.
He's not, no. But he has said there are alternatives; I just want to know who they are.

elmo

If the club can’t find an alternative to De Jong, they should be finding replacement jobs for themselves because they’re incompetent.

No proper club goes all in on just one player who makes/breaks their entire plan for midfield.

NewYorkRed

I do find it strange that we haven’t come out/briefed the media with some sort of update or something trying to put pressure on barca to pay the man or else we walk away soon. Its gone so quite.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I do find it strange that we haven’t come out/briefed the media with some sort of update or something trying to put pressure on barca to pay the man or else we walk away soon. Its gone so quite.
Why would we? We have no need too.
It's between Barca and FdJ, theres no need for us to get involved any further. We've agreed a fee now they have to sort stuff out themselves

OrcaFat

Essentially that. He signed a 5 year deal so would have only had 2 years remaining at this point but when he negotiated the deferred contract it included tacking on 2 more years at the original base salary so that the deferred money could be spread over 4 years and not 2. This helped Barca spread the hit out and was attractive to Frenkie as his base salary was amongst the highest in Spain so 2 more years was desirable. The trouble is that the deferred amount is 17M and the base without that is still in the region of 18.5M net per year at a time when Barca want to cap salaries for even their biggest stars at 10M net per season.

Barca would happily keep Frenkie if he would take a cut to fit their new wage structure but at that point he would be giving up in the region of 50M including the already deferred amount which he is not going to do and would be crazy to accept. His just waiving the 17M does not help them as he would still be massively over the limit they want to set which plays havoc with their budget for this year and beyond not to mention the ill feeling that would be generated within the squad by having one player earning so much more than everyone else.

Morally Barca owe him the money he deferred but it seems legally they do not. Poor work from his agent but FDJ signed the extension in good faith expecting to stay and is now being squeezed to get out of the club. Laporta claims that he is legally not owed the money which may well be true and further justifies his stance by pointing out Bartomeu was the President who signed off on this and it was tantamount to a poison pill for the incoming administration. Kicking salary they could not pay down the road to make it the problem of the new board.

Despite insisting they do not owe the money it was reported widely early on that they were willing to pay a 3.5M settlement to grease the wheels, this seems to relate mostly to that portion of the deferred wages that qualified as a bonus and the sticking point is the remaining base salary that Frenkie gave up. Our decision to increase the guaranteed money in our offer by 10M was interpreted as a way to assist Barca in negotiating a settlement however there seems little evidence that Barca have done anything of the sort and they seem to be steadfast in their position that they owe nothing.

Something has to give. The money from the two tv rights sales has funded their transfer activity so far and the restructuring of some of their debt but leaves them short of being able to register their current signings and if Frenkie stays the only option to register everyone would be the so called third lever which is to sell 50% of the revenue from Barcelona Studios which they are very reluctant to do. It also only kicks the can down the road for 12 months as under the FFP rules the amount of revenue that can be spent on salaries is reducing over the next couple of years whereas Frenkie's salary number for the 2023/2024 season goes up so that creates an even bigger headache as the deferred money is not spread evenly over the 4 years and his total compensation for that season is supposedly 28M net. They need this wage gone, they also need the transfer fee to fund their pursuit of Silva who Xavi sees as a vital part of his rebuild. They do not want to pay Frenkie the 17M to make this happen, when your financial foundations are built on sand any expenditure should be avoided if at all possible but his agent know this all too well and having had his pants pulled down in the original renegotiation by not including a clause that guaranteed his deferred wages he is playing hardball as much for his own reputation as to get Frenkie his money. Knowing Barca really need this transfer to happen is all the leverage they need, Frenkie is being told to play the good soldier and not complain and I imagine every negotiation that begins without an offer of a 17M settlement is being answered with a one word 'No".
That is a bloody brilliant post.

Tony247

Pretty sure ETH and the team must have done their homework on all the pros and cons of this situation.

Patience. There is still good chance of this transfer happening.

But if you think Frenkie is not good enough in the first place then its a different conversation. I think he is one of the best in his position (not the one barca is playing him).

Status
Not open for further replies.