Future Manager Speculation

the chameleon

Pochettino would be an obvious frontrunner.

Jardim could be another option.

I would also welcome the idea of us thinking a bit more out of the box (Barcelona 2008 or Madrid 2015) and getting someone with a fresh approach. This could mean giving McKenna a chance as head coach and getting a director of football.

As much as I admire Zidane's work at Real, I'm not sure if it's a one-off or not.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We should go for Leonardo Jardim imo if Jose was to leave.
  • Champions League Experience
  • Promotes Youth
  • Attacking, exciting football
  • Monaco would compromise
  • Very good scouting/transfers
  • Rebuilds teams quickly
The only negative is that he hasn't got big, big club experience. But he's worth the risk.
Big club experience would be nice (especially as United is such a media global animal and not all managers could cope) but it wouldn't be the be all and end all for me. The ability to improve players via coaching (rather than have to buy readymade all the time), man management and style of play is more important for me.

At some point, youve got to give managers a chance to step up (same as players)? Jardim's an option.

hanovercigars

Leonardo Jardim ticks most of the boxes if we were to move on from Jose.

He has won League titles in Greece and France. His AS Monaco team overcame PSG and their phenomenal wealth. Despite losing a whole load of first team players he has kept Monaco competitive, finishing second the in the league last season.

He has experience in bringing through young players at Sporting Lisbon and at Monaco.

I haven't watched many Monaco games but those who have say he has a decent attacking philosophy.

His contract is up at the end of 2020, so getting him at the end of 2019 won't break the bank.

The only issues are whether he has decent English ability and also he had a huge fallout with the board at Olympiacos even though he ended up winning the league.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I'd blame the board for complacency. Should have shown him the door after he boosted his ego when reminding us of the victories he'd inflicted on the club and then after slagging his players off.
Please never try and manage. You'd be in an employment tribunal every other week!

Not everyone that is talented as a manager/ leader will follow the my little pony approach to dealing with media and staff!

Big Andy

Bloke
This thread...:houllier:

We've had a poor pre-season results wise, with the majority of our attacking players not here...and people are speculating about new managers, etc...

It's nearly as tedious as people posting lineups in transfer threads when we're not even likely to sign the players in question...

AndyJ1985

I'd use it as an opportunity to bring in a DoF and look for a young enthusiastic coach. Going for old experienced managers isn't working for us.

sal klita

If Jose can't win us the league, then there simply isn't anybody else and I think you'd have to blame the board.
You cannot keep firing managers and hitting reset button every 2 years, expecting a different result.
We have a hired a serial winner and he has told the board what he needs, to win the league. Now, it's up to the board to deliver on what Jose wants....or accept that we won't win the league.

The problem with this forum is that they always want a new shiny toy. Right now, it's Zidane. If he were hired, 2 years later, those people who wanted ZZ, would want him fired, just so they could see the next shiny new toy.
You can. That's what Chelsea doing and still winning league.
It's better to sack wrong manager as soon as possible, before serious damage was done.

the chameleon

If it were a job specification

- Tactics - Plays free-flowing attacking football. But understands that at times you have to adapt the style (without parking the bus).
- Man Management - Has the ability to man-manage a team of overpaid ego-maniacs and get the best out of fragile egos.
- Youth - Has the ability to nurture young players and understands youth player psychology.
- Delegation - Can delegate certain responsibilities to the other coaching staff
- External stakeholder relations - Is able to represent Manchester United Club with dignity in front of press and the wider football community.
- Internal stakeholder relations - is able to work with a director of football, scouts and youth coaches on player and coach promotions.
- Accountability - Hold himself accountable for on-field results.
- Man Utd Values - Understands the values of Manchester United.
- Adaptability - Has an open mind and is able to question his approach every year.

Feel free to add to this job specification.

When you list all these attributes, you realise that none of our last three managers were able to adapt, understand Man Utd, they blamed others.

I personally think that the board should be looking beyond the obvious candidates and shortlisting as many potential names:

- ex-players (internal / external)
- young coaches (internal / external)

When Barcelona hired Pep, they did a spent interviewing many candidates. Including Mourinho who prepared PowerPoint deck on why he should be the manager of Barcelona. In the end, their chosen coach was an ex-player whose only experience was managing their second 11. The rest is history.

RedNed77

- Tactics - Plays free-flowing attacking football. But understands that at times you have to adapt the style (without parking the bus).
- Man Management - Has the ability to man-manage a team of overpaid ego-maniacs and get the best out of fragile egos.
- Youth - Has the ability to nurture young players and understands youth player psychology.
- Delegation - Can delegate certain responsibilities to the other coaching staff
- External stakeholder relations - Is able to represent Manchester United Club with dignity in front of press and the wider football community.
- Internal stakeholder relations - is able to work with a director of football, scouts and youth coaches on player and coach promotions.
- Adaptability - Has an open mind and is able to question his approach every year.

When you list all these attributes, you realise that none of our last three managers were able to adapt, understand Man Utd, they blamed others.

I personally think that the board should be looking beyond the obvious candidates and shortlisting as many potential names:

When Barcelona hired Pep, they did a spent interviewing many candidates. Including Mourinho who prepared PowerPoint deck on why he should be the manager of Barcelona. In the end, their chosen coach was an ex-player whose only experience was managing their second 11. The rest is history.
You are Ryan Giggs and i claim my £5 :cool:.

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

Jardim from Monaco, that's who I want next. He's as risky as anyone but plays good football and good with younger players. We need to be attacking next next, can't be defensive minded.

simplyared

Please never try and manage. You'd be in an employment tribunal every other week!

Not everyone that is talented as a manager/ leader will follow the my little pony approach to dealing with media and staff!
Ok, understand where you're coming from, but add on the zero entertainment value of the crap dished up week in week out. There's enough for him to have to walk.

Nikelesh Reddy

The writing seems to be on the wall for the ''Happy one'' however if he was to go, start of the season or mid season who is there that could pick up this squad up and take it on a level.

Looking round the pool of managers available is quite shot and I don't expect us to get anyone who's currently at a well established club like Pochettino during the season. Basically Mourinho is here for the rest of the season but because our board are a bit slow it's not impossible that we part ways during the season therefore I wondered who you guys think would be attainable and who would do a good job.
Let’s head into a new season speculating about when the managers going to get sacked...brilliant...

rotherham_red

That basically describes Jardim down to a tee. Either him or Poch are the ones we should be looking at next. Negelsmann would be in the mix also, but he's at RBL, which I think would be akin to getting blood out of a stone if we went for him.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I'm starting to think that maybe we should have given it to Giggsy.
He knows and loves the club like us fans, and i'm sure he'd atleast try to play the 'United way', and listened to supporters, atleast more than the last two.
We have had 2 of the most stubborn and proud managers out there, in LvG and Mourinho, they do it their way, and are not open for ideas from others to change their ways.

I was never in the 'Give it to Giggseh' camp, but now.... i doubt we'd been worse off than we have since SAF.
funny how other top clubs can appoint former players and just keep winning.

Nikelesh Reddy

He knows and loves the club like us fans, and i'm sure he'd atleast try to play the 'United way', and listened to supporters, atleast more than the last two.
We have had 2 of the most stubborn and proud managers out there, in LvG and Mourinho, they do it their way, and are not open for ideas from others to change their ways.

I was never in the 'Give it to Giggseh' camp, but now.... i doubt we'd been worse off than we have since SAF.
Not “other clubs”,only Real Madrid And Barcelona can afford to do that and keep winning because of the ridiculous squad that they have built up over the last decade.No PL club can afford to give it to an inexperienced former player,the league is just far too competitive....

Liverpool didn’t give it to Gerrard,Chelsea didn’t appoint Lampard,Arsenal didn’t appoint Viera/Henry/Arteta....Giggsey would have most probably been a complete disaster...The board made the right decision by not even considering him for the job...

Bestietom

Mourinho must deliver this season. He has to change his tactics and start playing attacking football. City, Liverpool, and Spurs, play good attacking football, and these along with Chelsea and Arsenal will be the teams to watch this season.
He should be looking at 2 attacking full backs as well as a right winger, but he will probably blow the lot on another CB.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Jardim should be approached. The problem is what we do in the interim if Jose loses his mind mid way through the season. Honestly would see what McKenna can do. Get Rene Meulensteen or others like him to help.
We've tried everything 'safe', let's have a gamble on a talented young coach. As long as he doesn't relegate us, I'd be happy to see how he gets on.
Besides, he has an attacking mind set so that's a good start!

Drz

McKenna/Butt as interim. Making all efforts to appoint Poch next season.

What Sarri actually won? What Conte actually won when Juventus appointed him (and it was before their titles streak)?
Stop appoint managers only because wikipedia.
Look on philosophy, work with players, kind of team play. Poch exactly what the club need today.
I call it the Charlier Sheen complex. #Winning

I was of the opinion that the quality of our football needed to be upgraded on since SAF's last couple of seasons. Even back then basics like working the ball out of defense with quick interplay needed to be worked-on and improved.

I don't mind not winning for a while, because I don't think you can achieve something consequential in terms of "quality-play" by simply buying quality players.
It is a team game, and a lot of non-quantifiable variables are just as crucial to making a team than having ultra-talented players.

I'd start by identifying a manager that sets his team up to play in a way that pleases me, excites me. (That takes Mourinho out of the equation from the start in my book).
Then I'd try and assess if the manager is also a good coach, in that if he can improve players. (This too takes Mourinho out-of the equation for me, see his delegating Salah tactical training to Italians if you believe him lol)
Thirdly assess what said coach would require to implement his vision, infrastructure, football talent-type.

Son Of Sam

What I would say though, is when Jose does leave, which he will eventually as he’s not immortal, appointing a manager who will get us playing good enjoyable football is higher up on my priority list than it would have been in the past. Take care of the style first then work towards making that a winning formula, rather than the other way around. I want to enjoy watching football again.
If Jose leaves, just make sure you enjoy life outside top 4 for about 5 years unless The Glazers pull their fingers out. I don’t know any other manager on the planet that could have gotten us to a 2nd place finish with the mediocre squad we have.

Jazz

We need someone with good communication skills and Giggs doesn't have that. If we're going down this route, may as well give it to Vidic - he's intelligent, charismatic, a leader, and knows the club as well as Giggs.

SER19

Brainwashed by the media. Hes not on the klopp spectrum and he's not on the opposite end.

Hes his normal self, laughing and joking with gattusso, pissed of by losing.

Some people need to get a serious grip, take a breath and let the season start

Grylte

We need someone with good communication skills and Giggs doesn't have that. If we're going down this route, may as well give it to Vidic - he's intelligent, charismatic, a leader, and knows the club as well as Giggs.
Have you talked with him, or do you just know because you have made your mind up by watching interviews?
How can we know how he is in the dressing room or the training pitch?

9 Stone Elvis

We need to back him. He is a quality manager with a history of delivering trophies. Its a huge season for him and if he fails then questions must be asked but what I do know - if we sack him there isn't any obvious choices out there and whoever comes in next will be perceived as a much bigger risk than appointing Mourinho was.

AaronRedDevil

Honestly I kinda want Diego Simone, I think he's the only one crazy enough to take this job. I want a manger who's alive and shouting from the side rather then sitting on the bench looking dead inside. Plus he'll bring that athletico connection to United. If Griezeman is still with them, he might bring with him. He might be a defensive manager, but at least he knows how to attack aswel. Way more the last few managers Utd have had.

AshRK

10 odd days to go for the transfer window to be over. Something has to happen, just cannot see us going with the same players under Jose.

Velvet Revolver

Jose is the ultimate 'Fan Purge'.. which maybe a good thing considering everyone in here seems to have a 206+1 extra negative bone!

whats with all the attempted #joseout thread?

RedDevil@84

The only way Jose is getting the sack is if we go completely crazy and start losing left and right. Even in that case, he ll probably get the Moyes clause (not mathematically possible to make top 4). Unless of course we go 15th or something by December.

Overall, I think he ll not get fired so soon. It would need to be really big.

EireRed_GS

I dont think theres much chance he will be around past the end of the season. Id love us to get two top signings before start of season and kick into the season fast and strong, change our fortunes. but the chances of that happening are seriously seriously low. its almost like he's prepping for failure with his comments and demeanour. and thats not what any top manager should be doing. A managers job is to motive them and convince them they are winners. not making excuses for when he thinks we may eventually fail.

Seen a few people reference his chelsea sacking. His departure from Chelsea (2nd time) was completely avoidable, all he had to do was admit he was in the wrong and all would been grand, make amends and get down to business. but stubbornness took over and ruined his chelsea legacy and made him out to be a proper d**k. I feel like he's kept basically in the same mood since that and carried it with him right to today.. maybe not to that extreme but to a certain degree he's acting like everyones against him.

On who i would like to come in? ... Zidane or Allegri would be interesting... or would it even be a cheeky one to suggest giving keano a go :nervous::devil:

Last edited:

Jazz

Have you talked with him, or do you just know because you have made your mind up by watching interviews?
How can we know how he is in the dressing room or the training pitch?
If that documentary is anything to go by, he's dire.

simplyared

If Jose leaves, just make sure you enjoy life outside top 4 for about 5 years unless The Glazers pull their fingers out. I don’t know any other manager on the planet that could have gotten us to a 2nd place finish with the mediocre squad we have.
Mediocre squad is it now? He's brought in a good portion of those players himself. Lindelöf was a bad mistake. Lukaku is nowhere near the level he was at with Everton. Pogba - world class for everybody else but us. Sanchez finished product with Arsenal, class player - unrecognizable in utd shirt. Rashford gone backwords in his development. Need one say more?

Roboc7

Mourinho will be here until end if season, beyond that I am not convinced.

If he were to leave during the season I still don’t think the club would have a clue what to do and would just go for biggest name who is out of contract. If Mourinho walked about tomorrow I imagine they would want Zidane but maybe end up with Conte.

Grylte

If that documentary is anything to go by, he's dire.
Never seen (or read) it, just have the impression that many make up their minds about these things without really having a clue :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Mourinho will be here until end if season, beyond that I am not convinced.

If he were to leave during the season I still don’t think the club would have a clue what to do and would just go for biggest name who is out of contract. If Mourinho walked about tomorrow I imagine they would want Zidane but maybe end up with Conte.
I'm guessing Zidane is making a long term play at Juventus to replace Allegri next summer.

Son Of Sam

Mediocre squad is it now? He's brought in a good portion of those players himself. Lindelöf was a bad mistake. Lukaku is nowhere near the level he was at with Everton. Pogba - world class for everybody else but us. Sanchez finished product with Arsenal, class player - unrecognizable in utd shirt. Rashford gone backwords in his development. Need one say more?
Rashford/Martial didn’t go backwards - it’s you people misreading a very simple scenario. When finishing 5th/6th was our highest position attainable....Rashford/Martial looked good cos it’s much easier to look excellent on that level.

However, when fighting for the PL title itself, it’s much more difficult. Such task is asking Martial/Rashford to deliver and outrightly win 26-30 PL games in a season. I’m afraid but those youngsters don’t have the mental fortitude and the consistency to deliver on that level as of yet. So stop comparing Martial/Rashford under LVG to Jose’s era. The stakes are higher and the competition is much tougher.

bucky

Ideally Jardim. Of those currently available probably Laurent Blanc.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Jardim is a good shout if he has the personality for the job.

But Massimilano Allegri certainly has the personality we need after a few years with Jose Mourinho. Would probably be the boards prefered candidate too. He also knows Pogba well.