Gaa 2013

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Can't believe mayo didn't go for that at the end, champions again! Up the dubs!

iSparky

I'm enjoying this, sorry United, I'm having a day off.
Agreed and it sounds like a good day to have off too. Nothing could spoil this feeling. feck I love the GAA.

Stemmy

I've decided to ignore the United game and result as best as I can.Today we're all Ireland champs so I shall consume alcohol until thats all I remember.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Not read the last few pages, but anyone complaining in this thread about Tyrone being cynical should get away to feck and catch aids. That second half from Dublin was worse than anything we ever served up.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Can someone explain to me why the feck Mayo kicked a point with the last kick of the game? The last kick and you're two points down and you kick a point? It was probably the most stupid sporting decision I've ever seen

iSparky

Can someone explain to me why the feck Mayo kicked a point with the last kick of the game? The last kick and you're two points down and you kick a point? It was probably the most stupid sporting decision I've ever seen
Dunno, can't believe they didn't try go for the goal. It makes no sense at all!

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Those two frees in injury-time were so bad from Mayo. Either tap them over straight away or go for goals. They must have wasted the guts of 2 minutes there alone.

Irwinwastheking

Where's all the lads that said Tyrone were cnuts? That second half Dublin team was the most cynical thing I ever seen.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Calm down Irwin...I was one of the people that said I'd want my player to do what Cavanagh did if it came to it. Dublin did it a lot today, but do I care? Not in the least. It'd be naive and suicidal not to do it.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Jaysus, what's going on in here..

Come outside with me for a minute Irwin and we get a bit of fresh air, there's steam coming out of your ears there.

Tommy, stick on two there for us, we'll be back in minute... I just want to calm this lad down ya know yourself.

No bother TBP....

And I ask you friend, whats's a fella to do, Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Personally, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

BD

Was some victory all the same. Thought Mayo should've been well ahead at half time, and when there was only one point in it at the half I was feeling pretty confident, as I knew we could only improve in the second half. I then thought it was gone when O'Gara was injured with 10 minutes to go and no subs left, but to be fair to him, he kept going and didnt make it as much as a 15v14 game that it probably shouldve been. I can only assume that O'Connor was told by the ref that there'd be time for the kickout and the one last phase of the game. He would never have gotten the goal anyway in fairness, but I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Mayo fan. Looked so amateurish.

BD

I have to admit, I was very pissed off when Cavanagh took yer man down, but in fairness, if I had to do the same in order to get to a semi final, I'd do it. Its the rule makers that are at fault, and sure, Cavanagh is exploiting a hole in the rule book, but most of the players would.
:angel:

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Delighted with the win but a little underwhelmed with the game. I thought it should have been more entertaining for neutrals but both teams seemed to freeze somewhat. Still enjoyable but not the classic I was hoping for. Still I'll take a win!!

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Oh and commiserations to young Gee Mail. The flight back to india will be very long. But a minor victory may be some consolation.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Must be the only person in the country that didn't even know this was on today, let alone who was in it.

Did youse watch this instead of Utd?

BD

Fair play. I'm not complaining about Dublin or their play. I'm complaining about hypocritical 2 faced cnuts on here and especially on Rte that said feck all about what was a lot worse than what they cried about Tyrone doing.
They had it on the Sunday Game - not sure if you saw it or not - but they all said that they did what they had to do and you can't really blame them. Its not pretty, but its pretty effective.

They also showed that Mayo wasted near enough to 2 minutes at the end there taking the two free kicks. Madness.

Irwinwastheking

JIM Gavin insists his Dublin team never once resorted to cynical fouling as they blasted their way to the League and Leinster titles, and on into an All-Ireland semi-final.
Gavin preaches respect for the game and match officials with no back chat to referees tolerated in the Dubs ranks.
The Dublin boss says their yellow card and foul count has dropped as the year has gone on, and he puts this down to hard work on the tackle.
Gavin went on to shine a light on their meticulous level of preparation by revealing that every single tackle Dublin put in is analysed after the game.
The last few weeks have been dominated by talk of cynical fouling after Joe Brolly’s attack on Sean Cavanagh for his rugby tackle on Monaghan’s Conor McManus.
But Gavin, who had red card issues early in his tenure when Denis Bastick, Michael Darragh Macauley and Ger Brennan were all sent off, has hammered home discipline as “a core philosophy.”
Gavin said: “It’s a work in progress. We’ve worked hard on it.
“Our free count has been low in the Championship, and similarly (the number) of yellow cards has been quite low and the core foundation of that is respect to match officials and respect for the game .
“We, in the management team, certainly we don’t tolerate any back chat to referees or any indiscipline for that matter.
“We want the game to be played the way it should be played. We look heavily at our defensive structure. There’s no doubt about that but we look even harder at our tackling and how we tackle.
“We always promote the philosophy of tackle the ball first and despite the talk of
our back line being exposed at times, never once have we seen the Dublin team being cynical.
“I would be loath to think that people could ever say the Dublin team were cynical.
“We do believe we’ve one of the best field sports in the world and we try to play the game the way we believe it should be played.”
Gavin believes he is holding true to the Dublin philosophy, one he says he followed through his six campaigns as Dubs under-21 boss.
Growing up he didn’t have one particular on-field hero, but he had “good time” for Tony Hanahoe, a real leader at centre half-forward on the famous Dublin team of the 1970s.
Gavin said: “It is a privilege to play the game and to represent the county.
“And we play the game the way we believe it should be played. We play open and expansive football.
“It comes from those teams of the 70s. When I was playing under Dr. Pat O’Neill, he would have espoused the same thing.
“Fran Ryder, Jim Brogan and Bobby Doyle – they would have promoted that type of game as well.
“Even Mickey Whelan in 96 – it was a privilege to play under him as well. It’s just what I was brought up on.
“I would have brought that philosophy to the under-21 sides as well. Half the time it worked there and half the time it didn’t.
“There are no guarantees in this sport and it’s just something we believe in.
“I genuinely believe we have one of the best field sports in the world and we play within the rules that we’ve been given.
“Whether that gets us success is another thing. But we hold true to those values.
“To me it’s a responsibility to the values of Dublin football. I can’t speak of any other county, what their values are. It would be wrong for me to suggest that.
“There’s a culture in Dublin football that’s the way it’s played. If you look at club football, that’s the way it’s played.
“It’s been the way you’re taught to play from primary school so we’re upholding the values of Dublin football.”
Meanwhile, Gavin has warned that Kerry are experts at peaking for this time of year and he reckons too much can’t be read into their indifferent form in the All-Ireland quarter-final win over Cavan.
He said: “We’re under no illusions that what they’re doing was just getting over the games and having won so much they will know when to peak in the season.
“For them it isn’t about the national league or peaking for Munster finals. It’s about peaking now.
“If we play like we did against Cork, it just won’t be good enough.
“Just look at their management team alone, they must have in excess of 15 or 20 All Ireland medals between them all.
“This is a team that has so much experience of winning All Ireland medals that we certainly can’t take our eye off the next game.
“They were really ruthless in the Munster final against Cork, ruthless against Cavan too where they never looked like they were going to lose.
“They’ve just been going through the gears to get over the games.
“When you look at the team they have, the experience they have in their back division.
“They have so many All Ireland medals. Marc Ó Sé, Tomás Ó Sé and all the medals they have at All Ireland and national league level.
“And then you go into their marquee forwards and you’re talking about the aristocrats of the game.”
Eye gouging, biting, rugby tackling clean cut Dublin. Ireland's heroes.

BD

Must be the only person in the country that didn't even know this was on today, let alone who was in it.

Did youse watch this instead of Utd?
Course. United took a spot firmly in the back seat for the day.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Fair play. I'm not complaining about Dublin or their play. I'm complaining about hypocritical 2 faced cnuts on here and especially on Rte that said feck all about what was a lot worse than what they cried about Tyrone doing.
I didn't see much wrong with Tyrone after the Brolly rage. I thought at the time he was looking to get attention and his reaction to the Cavanagh incident was just silly. There were a few on here who bought into it but I do think you're right about Dubliln. OGara kept niggling at people from the moment he was on and kept kicking at lads he fouled trying to get a reaction. Couple of very cynical moments too. Brogan had an idiotic one where he put a free into scoring range for O'Connor with a bitch slap on the ball after conceding a free and McManamon and Brennan both dragged lads down which annoyed me because I can understand the Cavanagh last ditch drag down on a man going in on goal but to do it in the other teams half for me is just cynical. I will still take the win mind!

Irwinwastheking

They had it on the Sunday Game - not sure if you saw it or not - but they all said that they did what they had to do and you can't really blame them. Its not pretty, but its pretty effective.

They also showed that Mayo wasted near enough to 2 minutes at the end there taking the two free kicks. Madness.

That's fine BD, but take a snapshot of this year and who are the 'dirty team'? It's going to be Tyrone even though we were more sinned against and picked on by officials. We got fecked over by RTE before the semi and it cost us when Mayo got every decision as the ref tried to fight the good fight against the evil Tyrone. Dublin and their shite wont even be a footnote and next year I'll bet we get focussed on again while today wont be mentioned.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
That's fine BD, but take a snapshot of this year and who are the 'dirty team'? It's going to be Tyrone even though we were more sinned against and picked on by officials. We got fecked over by RTE before the semi and it cost us when Mayo got every decision as the ref tried to fight the good fight against the evil Tyrone. Dublin and their shite wont even be a footnote and next year I'll bet we get focussed on again while today wont be mentioned.
Last ten minutes did have a few cynical moments yeah. I can understand your frustration but it should be directed at RTE and Brolly in paricular. Dublin weren't particularly dirty they just did what they needed to do to win although some was cynical. Same as Tyrone against Monahan for me. If the refs can punish harder for some of these incidents it may change things.

Irwinwastheking

Two sets if rules in the GAA man. One for Nordies as you lads call us and one for the likes of Dublin. From the first minute today Dublin were being dirty. Raking fingers in peoples faces, holding up every free, dragging down men off the ball, starting fights constantly. If that Dublin team had Tyrone shirts on today they would have been down to 13 men and they would have to face the wrath of internet twats and the media. I just had a look and not one mainstream media org are running a Dublin cynical story. There's a thread on Hogan Stand where everyone from the south is picking on the OP for saying what I'm saying. Organised silence. Honestly it would be enough to put a man off the game.