Gaa 2013

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Sorry Irwin but I just don't agree. Brolly beat his drum quite a bit this year but I dont think you had the players to compete with the likes of Kerry, Dublin or Mayo this year. O'Neill was way off his best and your team seems to be aging and your pressing game is suffering because of it. Failure to replace a few class players of a golden generation too has hurt you. You're still a very good side and could potentially lift Sam with a few good games from quarters to Final but I don't think you were discriminated against this year. One outburst by Brolly and a few reactions on here doesn't make a conspiracy.
Man, it's not just been since that idiot brolly had his rant. From the first game in the championship we've got nothing from the refs. The duffys have been criminal towards us. I never claimed Tyrone would have won the all Ireland anyway, just that we didn't get a fair crack of the whip.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I don't know how I could be clearer. I'm not complaining that Dublin played dirty at all or even that Dublin won. After that minor game I wasn't too bothered either way. My only gripe is that when one team are perceived to play dirty they get lambasted from all quarters but when the Dubs do it it's all praise and no mention of the fouling.

I'll dig out a few quotes from dubs on here earlier in the year later.
Your gripe is then with the media outlets. Brolly was fairly taken apart when he had his meltdown about Tyrone and Cavanagh. I think the issue with Tyrone which has been mentioned here is that they are not as good as they once were so the cynical incidents out weigh the good attacking ones. Not sure what the stats were but the Dublin lads must have created about 4 goal chances on top of the 2 goals they scored. Now if you are analysing a game you would look at those and have a look at the 2 or 3 cynical challenges in the last ten minutes. The viewer then rightly sees more creative play than destructive and they associate that with Dublin.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
At the start of the second half Dublin fouled mayo about 4 times in a row as mayo tried to attack and nothing was given. He wasn't perfect but the ref had a good game.
Yeah I thought the ref did grand too. I didnt see him as for any team so Gavin is just being a bit of an eejet.

Irwinwastheking

Your gripe is then with the media outlets. Brolly was fairly taken apart when he had his meltdown about Tyrone and Cavanagh. I think the issue with Tyrone which has been mentioned here is that they are not as good as they once were so the cynical incidents out weigh the good attacking ones. Not sure what the stats were but the Dublin lads must have created about 4 goal chances on top of the 2 goals they scored. Now if you are analysing a game you would look at those and have a look at the 2 or 3 cynical challenges in the last ten minutes. The viewer then rightly sees more creative play than destructive and they associate that with Dublin.
I'm telling you that if we were given a decent ref who didn't come in with some notion of stopping trouble before it starts we'd be playing much better football. Hampered badly by that.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Man, it's not just been since that idiot brolly had his rant. From the first game in the championship we've got nothing from the refs. The duffys have been criminal towards us. I never claimed Tyrone would have won the all Ireland anyway, just that we didn't get a fair crack of the whip.
Yeah I wouldn't watch much of Tyrone until the semi final or final in Ulster so I would miss a few refereeing jobs. I remember the blow up on here after Brolly's breakdown and I thought it was silly. I mean 1 -15 Tyrone lads work their socks off for results like all the top teams and I think some lads were just beating the Brolly drum here. You would know more about it than me as to whether you got a fair crack at it and the sendings off against Monaghan were a bit stupid but I still don't think your lads could have beaten this Mayo team.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Ara feck off, the ref now dictates whether you play good football or not?
Fair point there Moses. I just think that Tyrone don't have the same class they had a few years back.

Irwinwastheking

When you're constantly being blown up for non frees and lads sent off for nothing it tends to put you in a difficult position.

As for the thread ban for next year I would welcome it. The most sensible option may be to have a thread for jacks and one for culchies. We'll probably have to divide TBP up weekend about though.

Also, are you coming for a cuppa tomorrow or too busy celebrating?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I know a good family law solicitor that can draw up custody arrangements for TBP.

My trip over the mountains is next week, to my schedule, so it'd be nice to arrange a cuppa.

Irwinwastheking

We'll do that so. I'm off to get ready for work and to see about flights to Manchester. I fancy going to a game next month.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Well I'm not to sure how my name happened to come into the thread ban equation but I'll leave that up to the experts, if it happens it happens shure. In the meantime though if there's any of ye ever around my neck of the woods lads doesn't matter a shite if ye'r Jackeens, Northerners or fellow culchies like myself don't be afraid to drop in for a mug of tae and a bit of porter cake, ye'll be heartily welcome. As that country and western song goes, think it's Declan Nerney that sings it, could be Flavin now too...

there's always a kettle on the boil,
there's no fancy carpets nor no telephone,
but the one thing our house is a home,

Irwinwastheking

Any of you lads ever fly to East Midlands for a United game? Was looking about going to either Southampton or Stoke games in OT on 19th or 26th of October but the flights don't fecking suit me at all. I'm trying to go from Knock and I can't leave Friday because I've no more days off left. Knock Liverpool is too late for the games and Knock East Midlands would have me landing 3 hours before the game started 90 miles away. If I thought I could make it to OT on time I'd take the chance and book it.

(I know it's the GAA thread but no point putting it in the travel thread as it's an Irish problem)

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Any of you lads ever fly to East Midlands for a United game? Was looking about going to either Southampton or Stoke games in OT on 19th or 26th of October but the flights don't fecking suit me at all. I'm trying to go from Knock and I can't leave Friday because I've no more days off left. Knock Liverpool is too late for the games and Knock East Midlands would have me landing 3 hours before the game started 90 miles away. If I thought I could make it to OT on time I'd take the chance and book it.

(I know it's the GAA thread but no point putting it in the travel thread as it's an Irish problem)
Effin durty tyrone backstards.........

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Thread bans for Papi and Irwin in the GAA 2014 thread. We'll Stasi the shit out of the dissenters.
I was already banned from this thread for a week, so you've already used your quota....Niall told me.

I have skyplussed the game so will re-watch in a few days. For me, the Dubs were stung by the early Mayo point where Mayo took the free quickly. After that, Dublin slowed the play down in a big way. As I said during the game, I reckon the ref let Dublin away with a lot - if not frees, then the resulting cards. He started throwing cards around in the end like confetti and some of those, by rights, would have resulted in reds.

Mayo let themselves down in the arrangements around kickouts. Dublin had free rein on their kickouts especially in the second and Mayo didn't compete in that area. Taking Freeman off was bizarre and Conroy didn't perform as he did when he came on in the final.

I thought Dublin were in trouble with 12 minutes left and they'd used all their subs, but there were other reasons why they should have finished with 14 men or less.

You can reset the yokey to Full Member now. The hilarity quickly drained from that one.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Can all gaelic football talk be banned from this thread now as we count down to the big one.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

Ive went over a few times. One time I went to Leeds-Bradford and got a rented car, but we stayed over that night and flew home early Sunday. The other few times, we just caught an early Saturday morning (~7/8am) flight from Dublin for a 3pm kickoff and then got a late flight home(about 9/10pm iirc). Wasn't too rushed which was grand.

Not sure if this helps, but there you go.

Irwinwastheking

Ive went over a few times. One time I went to Leeds-Bradford and got a rented car, but we stayed over that night and flew home early Sunday. The other few times, we just caught an early Saturday morning (~7/8am) flight from Dublin for a 3pm kickoff and then got a late flight home(about 9/10pm iirc). Wasn't too rushed which was grand.

Not sure if this helps, but there you go.

If I do it I'll be supposedly landing at 11.20 and it's a three PM kick off. Just worried that it's not enough time to get the car and make my way up to Manchester. One of the lads pm'd me to say he'll probably have 2 stretty tickets too for me so I really want to do it now.

I'd also stay the night in Manchester and come home sunday.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
If I do it I'll be supposedly landing at 11.20 and it's a three PM kick off. Just worried that it's not enough time to get the car and make my way up to Manchester. One of the lads pm'd me to say he'll probably have 2 stretty tickets too for me so I really want to do it now.

I'd also stay the night in Manchester and come home sunday.
I'd say you'd make it. Google maps haas it at about a two hour drive, leaving you about an hour and a half to faff about. You've probably already checked all this, but I'd say you'd be grand.

Edit: Thats if you're renting a car or your mate has one.

Irwinwastheking

I'd have to rent one. Hopefully that process won't take too long. Flights to East Midlands from Knock are €30 return. Couldn't go wrong.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Would it not work out cheaper and way handier to just go with Barry's Irwin? Picked up at Dublin port and dropped off and picked up outside the front door of OT. No prick acting looking for flights or cars and worrying about time etc. You can treat yourself to a few scoops as well and one of them fancy panini things on the ferry.

Irwinwastheking

Would it not work out cheaper and way handier to just go with Barry's Irwin? Picked up at Dublin port and dropped off and picked up outside the front door of OT. No prick acting looking for flights or cars and worrying about time etc. You can treat yourself to a few scoops as well and one of them fancy panini things on the ferry.

What's the story there anyway. I priced it an it's €400 which would be OK but what's the arrangements. If it's a Friday travel jobbie then it's no good for me cos I work till 10pm on Fridays.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
What's the story there anyway. I priced it an it's €400 which would be OK but what's the arrangements. If it's a Friday travel jobbie then it's no good for me cos I work till 10pm on Fridays.

For the Southampton game it's 199 euros and that's including an overnight stay. Leaving Dublin Port at 8:05am on the Saturday morning, dropped off outside OT at 2pm. You'll be back in Dublin again at 5:30pm Sunday.

I got a txt there a few days ago with a 99 euro special offer for the Real Sociedad match, I said I'd treat myself to it as it's in or around the time of my Birthday. They are very hard to beat when it comes to prices and they are sound out as well, they done me a huge turn last year when it came to helping me bring over someone that uses a wheelchair.

edit: here's a link in case you're interested

http://www.barrystravel.ie/cgi-bin/tbook2.cgi?etid=1

Irwinwastheking

Good man. What's the tickets like? €200 each seems pure decent. It's just a case of me trying to get to the big smoke for 8 in the AM.

Name Changed

weso26
For the Southampton game it's 199 euros and that's including an overnight stay. Leaving Dublin Port at 8:05am on the Saturday morning, dropped off outside OT at 2pm. You'll be back in Dublin again at 5:30pm Sunday.

I got a txt there a few days ago with a 99 euro special offer for the Real Sociedad match, I said I'd treat myself to it as it's in or around the time of my Birthday. They are very hard to beat when it comes to prices and they are sound out as well, they done me a huge turn last year when it came to helping me bring over someone that uses a wheelchair.

edit: here's a link in case you're interested

http://www.barrystravel.ie/cgi-bin/tbook2.cgi?etid=1
You can often get deals with Celtic Horizon for exactly the same trips. I got a couple of €99.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Good man. What's the tickets like? €200 each seems pure decent. It's just a case of me trying to get to the big smoke for 8 in the AM.

I'm nearly certain they only have tickets for Stretford end only but it might be no harm if you're going to go with them to say to them on the phone to try their best to give you whatever they'd consider their best tickets, I was rooted to the back of the upper tier for the Celtic game in 08' and it was like watching the match through a letter box, the next time I went over I asked them for two better seats and they put us in the front row of the upper tier which was grand. I suppose the earlier you book the better the chance you'll have of getting good seats. Getting up to Dublin from Sligo might be a bit of a problem alright especially if you're working until 10pm on the Friday night. I wouldn't go doing that journey (driving) with feck all sleep now. A late bus up and stay in an aul' 15 euro hostel maybe? You'd save a few quid on petrol that way.

You can often get deals with Celtic Horizon for exactly the same trips. I got a couple of €99.

It would be nearly as expensive to go to Croke park! Great value though especially if you're living in Dublin.

We should rename this thread the Kilburn Gaels or the Fr. Murphy's GAA clubhouse or something, it's after turning into a place where a shower paddies away from home can go and have an aul' pint and a chat in!

Irwinwastheking

Aye, I thought it might be the best thread for a bit of general Irish stuff. Especially now all the important county GAA stuff is out of the way for this season.

Bite small ball fans. Bite!

Irwinwastheking

Will Mickey Harte stay on Irwin?

I have to say I don't know man. He's lost a lot of support in the county on a personal basis and has alienated a good few GAA people. Personally I have huge respect for him and always will as a GAA manager and as a man after what he went though. That said, the time could be right for a different approach. We have opened the new centre in Tyrone officially today and it feels like a fresh start for everyone would be great.

lem8sh

I have to say I don't know man. He's lost a lot of support in the county on a personal basis and has alienated a good few GAA people. Personally I have huge respect for him and always will as a GAA manager and as a man after what he went though. That said, the time could be right for a different approach. We have opened the new centre in Tyrone officially today and it feels like a fresh start for everyone would be great.
Has he ya? Like yourself the respect we have down here in Kerry for the man despite the battles over the years is huge. A great man. But like you said it could be time for a fresh start, everything comes to an end eventually.