Gaa 2013

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
That's fine BD, but take a snapshot of this year and who are the 'dirty team'? It's going to be Tyrone even though we were more sinned against and picked on by officials. We got fecked over by RTE before the semi and it cost us when Mayo got every decision as the ref tried to fight the good fight against the evil Tyrone. Dublin and their shite wont even be a footnote and next year I'll bet we get focussed on again while today wont be mentioned.
Im not even sure if Tyrone will be seen as the dirty team of the year. But if they are, which I agree they shouldnt be, it'll be due to how they played as much as it is down to the actual cynical part. Its easier for people to forget about cynical fouls and the sorts when its an end to end game with nice attacking, man on man football being played. Compare that to having to sit through 60-70 minutes of blanket defences and teams faffing about with short 2 yard handpasses inside their own half. When that is whats on show, and then to top it off Cavanagh denies plucky wee Monaghan a chance in the semis, its easy to see why people are quicker to forgive and forget Dublin's cynicism. I'm not saying that's right, but thats how it is I'm afraid.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Two sets if rules in the GAA man. One for Nordies as you lads call us and one for the likes of Dublin. From the first minute today Dublin were being dirty. Raking fingers in peoples faces, holding up every free, dragging down men off the ball, starting fights constantly. If that Dublin team had Tyrone shirts on today they would have been down to 13 men and they would have to face the wrath of internet twats and the media. I just had a look and not one mainstream media org are running a Dublin cynical story. There's a thread on Hogan Stand where everyone from the south is picking on the OP for saying what I'm saying. Organised silence. Honestly it would be enough to put a man off the game.
Now all of that is wrong. RTE covered Dublins cynicism, but whats there to say? Dublin did what they had to do, as any team would. Take Brollys outburst out of the Cavanagh incident, and I reckon a similar amount of people would be saying the same thing, 'I'd want my own player to do it too'. Just cause Brolly went ape it doesnt mean that most sane people werent thinking that they'd want their own team to do the same.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Now all of that is wrong. RTE covered Dublins cynicism, but whats there to say? Dublin did what they had to do, as any team would. Take Brollys outburst out of the Cavanagh incident, and I reckon a similar amount of people would be saying the same thing, 'I'd want my own player to do it too'. Just cause Brolly went ape it doesnt mean that most sane people werent thinking that they'd want their own team to do the same.

Nope. I've been saying it for years. Tyrone and northern teams in general (but especially Tyrone) have been facing the wrath of the media wrongly and unfairly for years and that's effecting us in games. Every single game we played this year we started off several points down because the refs were out to prove a point before the game started. Fouls that were let go in other games were blown up for us, refs tried to get an early yellow in to 'keep control of the game' when in reality all we wanted was an open game. Tyrone never have a chance to play a nice open game like today because refs never ref our games like McQuillen did today. Honestly we'd have been down to 13 if we played like the Dubs did today.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Just had a look at the last two frees again. Mayo took 40 seconds to take both of them, that's 1 minute 20 seconds. The referee blows up after 74:33. Tap them over straight away and they would have had the guts of a minute extra to get the equaliser. Absolute madness.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

What a game he had yesterday, the man has ice running through his veins!

Gee Male

Made it back as far as Frankfurt so far, flight at 5.20am the morning after losing another All Ireland final and going on the massive tear, is hell. Absolute hell. Sweating my bollocks off here, but getting an Oktoberfest cure in right now.

I have an awful lot to say about that game, about the Dubs cynicism and play-acting, the ref being an absolute prick, the Mayo forwards not being able to or willing to shoot, the retarded vision to take Freeman off, the fact that Keith Higgins is the best player in the country this year bar none, and the fact that the Dub fans were possibly the worst fans I've ever lost an All Ireland final against, and we've lost a few.

I'm not sure if I should just leave this thread well alone for a few days so that my sissy fit will subside, or if we should just skip me posting anything at all about it altogether and you guys can just go right ahead to calling me a bitter cnut. Which I absolutely am.

Congrats to the Dubs on here, enjoy it boys. You utter bastards.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Made it back as far as Frankfurt so far, flight at 5.20am the morning after losing another All Ireland final and going on the massive tear, is hell. Absolute hell. Sweating my bollocks off here, but getting an Oktoberfest cure in right now.

I have an awful lot to say about that game, about the Dubs cynicism and play-acting, the ref being an absolute prick, the Mayo forwards not being able to or willing to shoot, the retarded vision to take Freeman off, the fact that Keith Higgins is the best player in the country this year bar none, and the fact that the Dub fans were possibly the worst fans I've ever lost an All Ireland final against, and we've lost a few.

I'm not sure if I should just leave this thread well alone for a few days so that my sissy fit will subside, or if we should just skip me posting anything at all about it altogether and you guys can just go right ahead to calling me a bitter cnut. Which I absolutely am.

There is nothing wrong with being a bitter old cnut after losing an All Ireland final, if the Dubs lost I would be a bitter old cnut about it in here saying that the ref was prick which he was in the first half giving Mayo all of those frees (though in respect the Dubs discipline at the start was shocking) and I would be saying that the Mayo fans were shite and that the Mayo players were being cynical and play acting so there is no shame in being a bitter cnut, us Dublin fans are used to the whole country hating us when it comes to GAA, I love the bitterness :D

Im delighted though with yesterday, young team coming through. We didn't even play as well as he have done in other games this year and we came out on top.

God I hope you react to this..

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...e-ref-as-well-as-mayo-jim-gavin-29598711.html

'We were playing the ref as well as Mayo' - Jim Gavin

Gavin said he failed to understand how his team could have a free count of 32-12 against them and insisted that it had been a common trend all season.
He defended the cynicism of some of his players as they resorted to dragging down opponents to kill Mayo momentum, particularly in the last 10 minutes, and insisted it was born out of frustration with referee Joe McQuillan.
"Twelve frees? That's just beyond me. I can't understand that. I really can't. That's one of the very disappointing things. Not only were we playing Mayo but we were playing the referee as well," he claimed.
He refused to accept that his players had just fouled more to establish such an adverse free count and was adamant that any acts of cynicism like Kevin McManamon's 'tackle' on Lee Keegan in the 68th minute as they led by 2-12 to 1-12 were because they were "frustrated."
"We are getting very few frees, particularly from the forward division," he said.
"It's a fight that we have in every game, that opposition players are getting more frees than we are and we work very hard on the art of defending and the technical tackle. An awful lot of work on that. It's disappointing. That's an enormous number of frees to give away in any game," said Gavin.
"They (the players) were frustrated. That free-count is just not acceptable. Anybody here can ask me are Dublin a cynical team and we're not. We play the game with certain values in the squad and we play the game the way we believe it should be played and to have that number (of frees)...
"At the end, that was just Dublin players getting frustrated. For the whole game, there is a double count going against us. All the time. And it's not only today. We probably kept our counsel for most of the games but that has been the trend in all the games."
Information
Mayo players were also unhappy with McQuillan for blowing full time after Stephen Cluxton's final kick-out with manager James Horan and captain Andy Moran claiming the Cavan official had told them there were 30 seconds still left to play. Cillian O'Connor went for a point as a consequence of that apparent information relayed to him, to reduce the deficit to the minimum.
It was their second successive All-Ireland final defeat and inevitably there will be speculation about James Horan's future as manager.
Mayo led by 0-8 to 1-4 at the interval but their goalkeeper Rob Hennelly was forced to make three top-class saves to deny Dublin more goals.
Bernard Brogan was Dublin's scoring hero, bagging 2-3 (2-2 from play) in a war of attrition that left two of their players (Rory O'Carroll and Jonny Cooper) concussed and more limping out of a dressing room that resembled a war zone.

Irwinwastheking

The free count was bad because Dublin were fouling like feck from the start. Tbf, the ref let more go than any other game this year too so Gavin is adding insult to injury with that shit. He has a bit of the Brendon Rodgers about his interviews.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
When it came down to that final whistle, whether it was blown a little prematurely or not, there was no denying that Dublin were deserving winners of this All-Ireland, and yet Mayo must also feel that their own game plan let them down to the extent that it cost them the victory.
John O'Keeffe, Irish Times.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Mighty day alright thank god.

Great to see the aul' cluiche peile crowd as happy as ever too. Cynicism and prick acting once again the topic of the day.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Gavin's a dope. Dublin deserved it anyway- they had the firepower up front & Mayo didn't.

I'm in bits today. Went into Quinn's after the match, then quickly realised I was probably the oldest person there. Left shortly afterwards!
We spent the rest of the night bar-hopping.

I hear it was €25 into Copper's last night.

Gee Male

Wasn't there a lot of crying in the media after the semi last year, Brolly in particular, aboutMayo's 22 or 23 fouls in that game? 32 is almost a 50% jump on that,

I need to stop posting here, before I makes complete fool of myself. Is there any way to put a thread on ignore?

I genuinely agree Dublin deserved the win too. Most of my frustration comes from the feeling that we left it behind us on the day. And I am genuinely happy for the Dub fans on here too, I just hope we get to experience that feeling some time too.

Sitting beside my auld fella was heartbreaking. His hands didn't stop shaking from the start of the minor game until about 7 o'clock last night. 56 years old and never seen us win one, and its not like we do feck all else.

Gee Male

There is nothing wrong with being a bitter old cnut after losing an All Ireland final, if the Dubs lost I would be a bitter old cnut about it in here saying that the ref was prick which he was in the first half giving Mayo all of those frees (though in respect the Dubs discipline at the start was shocking) and I would be saying that the Mayo fans were shite and that the Mayo players were being cynical and play acting so there is no shame in being a bitter cnut, us Dublin fans are used to the whole country hating us when it comes to GAA, I love the bitterness :D

Im delighted though with yesterday, young team coming through. We didn't even play as well as he have done in other games this year and we came out on top.

God I hope you react to this..
I don't really need to react to that, I can't argue with any of it really. It also gives me a licence to be a bitter cnut too!

Your fans were poor too, they could have celebrated at the final whistle at least. It was like a library - even the Kerry fans celebrated better than you yesterday.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Aye, pretty shit, conversely I am always more happy for the aulfellah than meself.

There is a lot being said about Mayo leaving it behind, but your keeper made 2 proper great saves and a third one that not many would make.

As for the ref, I suppose if we were the aggressors then I'd be happy with him, but I did genuinely feel that for one period he got about 4/5 decisions wrong in Mayo's favour.

To be honest, previous Dublin teams would have let that start mean they lost the game, whereas Kerry etc, have always been able to grind as well as swagger; I'm kind of glad we've added that. The previous team 2000- didn't have that at all. We got bullied frequently, including that semi a few years ago to Mayo. But I didn't bemoan Mayo bullying us, I bemoaned us getting bullied.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Wasn't there a lot of crying in the media after the semi last year, Brolly in particular, aboutMayo's 22 or 23 fouls in that game? 32 is almost a 50% jump on that,

I need to stop posting here, before I makes complete fool of myself. Is there any way to put a thread on ignore?

I genuinely agree Dublin deserved the win too. Most of my frustration comes from the feeling that we left it behind us on the day. And I am genuinely happy for the Dub fans on here too, I just hope we get to experience that feeling some time too.

Sitting beside my auld fella was heartbreaking. His hands didn't stop shaking from the start of the minor game until about 7 o'clock last night. 56 years old and never seen us win one, and its not like we do feck all else.

My mate's girlfriend who's from Mayo was in fits of tears after the game. Literally bawling her eyes out.

On another point- is there any point downloading the United match?

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
He sure is, he should have just let the bitches whine away and said feck all.

You judge a team over a season and over the season Dublin were great. All good sides have an edge.

No doubt.

Barring a half or two along the way, Dublin performed well in every game. They deserve it.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Been thinking about this meself. I'm leaning towards no.
Me too.

I'll do what I usually do when we get our asses handed to us- pretend it didn't happen & avoid reading the papers or the football forum here. :D

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Im not even sure if Tyrone will be seen as the dirty team of the year. But if they are, which I agree they shouldnt be, it'll be due to how they played as much as it is down to the actual cynical part. Its easier for people to forget about cynical fouls and the sorts when its an end to end game with nice attacking, man on man football being played. Compare that to having to sit through 60-70 minutes of blanket defences and teams faffing about with short 2 yard handpasses inside their own half. When that is whats on show, and then to top it off Cavanagh denies plucky wee Monaghan a chance in the semis, its easy to see why people are quicker to forgive and forget Dublin's cynicism. I'm not saying that's right, but thats how it is I'm afraid.
Yeah I would agree here. I think when it's open attacking football and fans get more scores then cynical tackles can be overlooked. Again it's not right but it can be resolved. Have a look at a sin bin or something similar which was dismissed previously for some reason.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Nope. I've been saying it for years. Tyrone and northern teams in general (but especially Tyrone) have been facing the wrath of the media wrongly and unfairly for years and that's effecting us in games. Every single game we played this year we started off several points down because the refs were out to prove a point before the game started. Fouls that were let go in other games were blown up for us, refs tried to get an early yellow in to 'keep control of the game' when in reality all we wanted was an open game. Tyrone never have a chance to play a nice open game like today because refs never ref our games like McQuillen did today. Honestly we'd have been down to 13 if we played like the Dubs did today.
Sorry Irwin but I just don't agree. Brolly beat his drum quite a bit this year but I dont think you had the players to compete with the likes of Kerry, Dublin or Mayo this year. O'Neill was way off his best and your team seems to be aging and your pressing game is suffering because of it. Failure to replace a few class players of a golden generation too has hurt you. You're still a very good side and could potentially lift Sam with a few good games from quarters to Final but I don't think you were discriminated against this year. One outburst by Brolly and a few reactions on here doesn't make a conspiracy.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah I would agree here. I think when it's open attacking football and fans get more scores then cynical tackles can be overlooked. Again it's not right but it can be resolved. Have a look at a sin bin or something similar which was dismissed previously for some reason.

I've been saying that all year, you look at the overall, and there have been few really great teams that didn't know when to foul.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

I'm massively impressed with your typing. Holding it together well!! :)

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I've been saying that all year, you look at the overall, and there have been few really great teams that didn't know when to foul.
Nice guys win nothing. Knowing when to foul is as good as knowing when to play a killer ball. All of the best teams have the players that can be cynical at the right time.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
He sure is, he should have just let the bitches whine away and said feck all.

You judge a team over a season and over the season Dublin were great. All good sides have an edge.
He's normally very quiet. Bit of an odd statement to make. Mind you that is some free count against Dublin. No matter what you say unless a team is dominating possession they shouldn't have double the amount of frees.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He's normally very quiet. Bit of an odd statement to make. Mind you that is some free count against Dublin. No matter what you say unless a team is dominating possession they shouldn't have double the amount of frees.

Yeah, mad free count in fairness and yep, I thin Gavin was wrong, overall the ref was ok. There was one spell though that he booked Connolly for what seemed a perfect shoulder, and gave a free against Brogan when he should have got one for himself, then overruled the linesman to give an obvious Dublin ball to Mayo. A spell like that can taint your view and is hard to shake sometimes.

Irwinwastheking

I don't know how I could be clearer. I'm not complaining that Dublin played dirty at all or even that Dublin won. After that minor game I wasn't too bothered either way. My only gripe is that when one team are perceived to play dirty they get lambasted from all quarters but when the Dubs do it it's all praise and no mention of the fouling.

I'll dig out a few quotes from dubs on here earlier in the year later.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, mad free count in fairness and yep, I thin Gavin was wrong, overall the ref was ok. There was one spell though that he booked Connolly for what seemed a perfect shoulder, and gave a free against Brogan when he should have got one for himself, then overruled the linesman to give an obvious Dublin ball to Mayo. A spell like that can taint your view and is hard to shake sometimes.
I didnt have a problem with the ref overall. I thought he got a bit wrong but the heat and occassion were immense and I felt that some Dublin players (Connolly, Mannion, Kilkenny and MacCauley) were taking a bit much out of the ball. I thought it was telling when Bastick set up Brogan's second that drawing the man and quick passing was the better option.

Mayo were poor up top. I think that while the Dublin defence can be run at and caught out they are still very good individually. Philly McMahon would have been my second best player after Brogan. Some of his marking and blocks were class. O'Sullivan was quite selfless too in his defensive work. I would say the experience for McCaffrey and Kilkenny will stand to them in the future too. Kilkenny got in great positions but lacked the killer shot and McCaffrey was a bit dazed but can only be good for them. I thought the mayo forwards were all too nervous. Even O'Connor kicked a couple of wides early on which is unlike him. Delighted to win it in the end.

Irwinwastheking

At the start of the second half Dublin fouled mayo about 4 times in a row as mayo tried to attack and nothing was given. He wasn't perfect but the ref had a good game.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yep, all the talking down of the full back line helped, two fold. It spurred them on and made people underestimate them.

The young lads will be much stronger next year, Sam might spend more time than usual in the city in the coming years.