Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Carolina Red

Staff
maybe tyrions growth into a competent peacetime bureaucrat was when he appointed Sam Tarly as grand maester despite better qualified surviving mastears having already been on the show. His knowledge of an extremely rare illness and a now extinct threat will surely make him the best doctor the king can have.

they really nailed this character transformation, all his decisions after the wars were bang on
It’s an excellent small council, when you realize the point of it.

It is full of people who had to make their own way in life rather than have it handed to them. They will now be the ones deciding the fate of Westeros instead of the ego driven first sons who have a rather poor track record of running the government. It’s the “breaking of the wheel” realized.

Silva

It is full of people who had to make their own way in life rather than have it handed to them. They will now be the ones deciding the fate of Westeros instead of the ego driven first sons who have a rather poor track record of running the government. It’s the “breaking of the wheel” realized.
:lol::lol:

MadMike

Lads, to make an analogy, you’re discussing science with a flat-earther, anti-vaxxer here. It’s not gonna get you anywhere.

Sigma

So, I never had access to HBO until this summer... that means I just now watched Game of Thrones in its entirety over the course of the last month.

I really don’t see why people were losing their shit over Season 8.
Funny thing is I did the exact same thing as you. Hadn't watched it until about last month and binged watched it across about a week.

I thought it was great and the ending, although rushed and maybe not up to the standard of other seasons, didn't put me off it as a show (I still thought it was good - although could have been better).

Maybe its something to do with us being attached to it for a very short time compared to others, and so others had more time to think about what should happen and were more hyped up for it.

Carolina Red

Staff
Funny thing is I did the exact same thing as you. Hadn't watched it until about last month and binged watched it across about a week.

I thought it was great and the ending, although rushed and maybe not up to the standard of other seasons, didn't put me off it as a show (I still thought it was good - although could have been better).

Maybe its something to do with us being attached to it for a very short time compared to others, and so others had more time to think about what should happen and were more hyped up for it.
We’ve got a quick watch vs slow watch split starting to show. So far everyone who has binged it has said about the same stuff.

It’s gotta be the driving factor.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It was pretty straight forward.
That's around 50% of what's wrong with that.

Also, you cannot have watched the entire series in a few weeks and not have seen the differences in writing between the early seasons and the later ones, especially the last. I think you're just trolling at this point.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
In that it was simple and at times outright lazy, just ticking points of a list. GoT never used to be straightforward when it was good.
Oh, early in the show there was definitely more complexity.

But is that level of complexity necessary at the point in the story where you have to defeat the Army of the Dead and defeat Cercei?

Again, I think that’s where me and few others who binged the whole show in a short period don’t have the same perspective as you might have (I’m assuming you watched it over the shows course).

As the seasons blend together during a binge watch of it, the narrowing down of the storyline seems a natural progression.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

One of the men on the small council is a guy who said if he was asked to kill a baby he would ask 'how much?'.

Same guy who got in to that position via intimidating Tyrion and threatening to murder him. He's a cutthroat mercenary who does not care if people live or die and whose only motivation has been shown (time and time again) to set himself up in comfort. He's also master of coin despite not knowing how debt works and in general probably having no education at all. The guy who controls the entire treasury and its expenses doesn't understand expenses.

If I was a Westerosi peasant I don't think I'd be sat down in my hut thinking 'oh man I'm so glad this literal psychopath has had to make his own way in life, thank god we broke that wheel'.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Perfect person to not get you into the debt troubles the Lannisters had.

Besides, don’t forget the fact that Bran can see the future.

They're going to have to rebuild entire cities, armies and navies. On some level that's going to require some borrowing, especially since entire treasuries were emptied repaying the Iron Bank.

And yeah, if Bran basically makes every decision because he has superpowers then you're golden, but the council itself is pretty terrible. In no world should Bronn be in any real position of power because he's depicted as nothing but a cunning brute, but instead he's now one of the most powerful men in the world.

Carolina Red

Staff
They're going to have to rebuild entire cities, armies and navies. On some level that's going to require some borrowing, especially since entire treasuries were emptied repaying the Iron Bank.

And yeah, if Bran basically makes every decision because he has superpowers then you're golden, but the council itself is pretty terrible. In no world should Bronn be in any real position of power because he's depicted as nothing but a cunning brute, but instead he's now one of the most powerful men in the world.
Sure, they’ll have to do some borrowing... but who is Bronn gonna have to ask about it before he does it?

Littlefinger was doing it all by himself and was screwing the kingdom over. It was Tyrion who discovered that. Tyrion probably knows that Bronn isn’t the guy to pull another Littlefinger in the revenues & expenditures ledger.

InfiniteBoredom

‘Break the wheel’ is very generous when you realize when Bran the Limp-Dick dies without an heir inevitably, Westeros would instantly lapse back into war, if it hadn’t already (Dorne and Iron Isles, the two most independent region are supposed to sit tight when Sansa gets to play Queen).

Carolina Red

Staff
‘Break the wheel’ is very generous when you realize when Bran the Limp-Dick dies without an heir inevitably, Westeros would instantly lapse back into war, if it hadn’t already (Dorne and Iron Isles, the two most independent region are supposed to sit tight when Sansa gets to play Queen).
But, if you look at his selection as king as being derived from his status as the 3 Eyed Raven and not from being Bran Stark, that could further the notion that the wheel had been broken.

As he ages, he just trains the next 3 Eyed Raven to take over when he dies. The title became detached from traditional hereditary dynastic succession when they selected/elected him to rule.

InfiniteBoredom

But, if you look at his selection as king as being derived from his status as the 3 Eyed Raven and not from being Bran Stark, that could further the notion that the wheel had been broken.

As he ages, he just trains the next 3 Eyed Raven to take over when he dies. The title became detached from traditional hereditary dynastic succession when they selected/elected him to rule.
The Lords Paramount will take very kindly to life under a line of mystic omniscient monarch. If anything, the fact that he possesses such power will make them go, nope, lop his head off. It’s the same world where Citadel maesters poisoned all Targaryen hatchlings.

People are selfish and brutal, and medieval people are even more selfish and brutal. Magna Carta in little England lead to a war, Magna Carta in Westeros will be even bloodier.

Carolina Red

Staff
The Lords Paramount will take very kindly to life under a line of mystic omniscient monarch. If anything, the fact that he possesses such power will make them go, nope, lop his head off. It’s the same world where Citadel maesters poisoned all Targaryen hatchlings.

People are selfish and brutal, and medieval people are even more selfish and brutal. Magna Carta in little England lead to a war, Magna Carta in Westeros will be even bloodier.
If you look at it from the point of view of Plato’s philosopher king(s) though, the theory pans out.

Also, the Raven would know if someone were plotting against him and would know if that person should be stopped or, if that person should be allowed to kill him. There is some implication that while the Raven can see the future, he knows not to meddle with it because it is what is “supposed to happen”. He tells several people (or the story shows) that they did what they did and are where they are because it was supposed to be that way. Ex being Hodor, Theon, Jon, himself when elected.

InfiniteBoredom

If you look at it from the point of view of Plato’s philosopher king(s) though, the theory pans out.

Also, the Raven would know if someone were plotting against him and would know if that person should be stopped or, if that person should be allowed to kill him. There is some implication that while the Raven can see the future, he knows not to meddle with it because it is what is “supposed to happen”. He tells several people (or the story shows) that they did what they did and are where they are because it was supposed to be that way. Ex being Hodor, Theon, Jon, himself when elected.
Philosopher king is an ideal that rest on the compunction of a single man to be good.

Bloodraven clung on to his tree-life for a century to wait for Bran. What if Bran doesn’t want that fate? What if his mind becomes twisted in the long years of a solitary existence, when nourishment comes from a weirwood tree? What if the person who he chooses to succeed him decides that he wants issue of his own body to rule after him?

Every step of the way there are countless complications certain to drive the realm into war again, at one point or another, and when that happens, it’ll be no different to the status quo before Aegon’s Conquest. No wheel has been broken, lords still rule, common folks still got fecked in the arse.

Carolina Red

Staff
Philosopher king is an ideal that rest on the compunction of a single man to be good.

Bloodraven clung on to his tree-life for a century to wait for Bran. What if Bran doesn’t want that fate? What if his mind becomes twisted in the long years of a solitary existence, when nourishment comes from a weirwood tree? What if the person who he chooses to succeed him decides that he wants issue of his own body to rule after him?

Every step of the way there are countless complications certain to drive the realm into war again, at one point or another, and when that happens, it’ll be no different to the status quo before Aegon’s Conquest. No wheel has been broken, lords still rule, common folks still got fecked in the arse.
Isn’t it basically stated though that Bran isn’t really Bran anymore, that he is the 3 Eyed Raven, and just called Bran because that’s how people know him? Like a death to self kind of thing, so that whoever takes on the title of 3 Eyed Raven no longer has those personal desires that are evident in other men?

I know that is getting into the ideal, but it seems as if the 3 Eyed Raven as king is set up for that kind of scenario.

InfiniteBoredom

Isn’t it basically stated though that Bran isn’t really Bran anymore, that he is the 3 Eyed Raven, and just called Bran because that’s how people know him? Like a death to self kind of thing, so he wouldn’t have those personal desires that are evident in other men?

I know that is getting into the ideal, but it seems as if the 3 Eyed Raven as king is set up for that kind of scenario.
It can be death to self without the body being taken over by an ageless consciousness named 3-eyed Raven. It can be taken to mean he’s no longer Brandon Stark, the broken boy from Winterfell, but the Seer who oversee the realm from dangers with his newfound powers, like becoming a Brother of the Night’s Watch.

Tonally, a magical solution to the ultimate problem also isn’t a GRRM thing. I don’t doubt that he intended for Bran to become the ruler in the end, but the story has changed so much from the intended original trilogy that at this point without a really good explanation it feels very counterintuitive for that to make any sense in the world he ended up building, not the one envisioned.

Carolina Red

Staff
It can be death to self without the body being taken over by an ageless consciousness named 3-eyed Raven. It can be taken to mean he’s no longer Brandon Stark, the broken boy from Winterfell, but the Seer who oversee the realm from dangers with his newfound powers, like becoming a Brother of the Night’s Watch.
That’s fair enough, I could see that.

I just took it as him mentally assuming the identity of the Raven.

Which, it’s a fantasy show, so it lends itself to interpretation.
Tonally, a magical solution to the ultimate problem also isn’t a GRRM thing. I don’t doubt that he intended for Bran to become the ruler in the end, but the story has changed so much from the intended original trilogy that at this point without a really good explanation it feels very counterintuitive for that to make any sense in the world he ended up building, not the one envisioned.
That’s interesting to me, just because so much magic is interwoven into the story throughout.

Why do you see it that way?

InfiniteBoredom

That’s interesting to me, just because so much magic is interwoven into the story throughout.

Why do you see it that way?
Magic exists in the periphery in the world of ASOIAF, it’s never the deciding factor in ‘the conflict of human’s heart’. Daenerys would still try to take back her birthright without the dragons, Jon would still be torn between his duty as a Watch’s Brother and loyalty to his family without the existential threat of the Others/Whitewalkers. Magic just up the stakes, so to speak, but it’s not a get out of jail free card in any situation, it can’t be taken to explain the motives driving a person’s actions and choices.

The world the characters exist in is deeply skeptical, even downright hostile to magical elements. I don’t see how both lords big and small, or the common folks, would be happy accepting a self-professed all-knowing guy who, if they were to believe him, stood by and did nothing while the Dragon Queen barbecued a million people in a fit of madness. Either his omniscience does him no good, or he’s so sinister that he was willing to sacrifice that many lives for his own gain.

Carolina Red

Staff
Magic exists in the periphery in the world of ASOIAF, it’s never the deciding factor in ‘the conflict of human’s heart’. Daenerys would still try to take back her birthright without the dragons, Jon would still be torn between his duty as a Watch’s Brother and loyalty to his family without the existential threat of the Others/Whitewalkers. Magic just up the stakes, so to speak, but it’s not a get out of jail free card in any situation, it can’t be taken to explain the motives driving a person’s actions and choices.
I understand you now. Solid logic there and I respect that viewpoint and I can think of a point in the storyline where you see the “upping of the stakes” where Dany walks into the fire wth the dragon eggs.
The world the characters exist in is deeply skeptical, even downright hostile to magical elements. I don’t see how both lords big and small, or the common folks, would be happy accepting a self-professed all-knowing guy who, if they were to believe him, stood by and did nothing while the Dragon Queen barbecued a million people in a fit of madness. Either his omniscience does him no good, or he’s so sinister that he was willing to sacrifice that many lives for his own gain.
There’s kind of a “why does god let bad things happen?” question in that point you’ve made.

I wondered about that myself but just felt it went along with what the Raven taught him as he was being trained about being able to see what happened but not being able to influence it because of the overarching idea of fate. Now if that applies up to him getting on the throne and then no longer, or if it continues to be that way, I have no clue.

I did see one thing online that made me chuckle because it stated that it was a completely sinister plot where Tyrion and Bran orchestrated it all along so that they could get into power and remove all others in their way.

luke511

We’ve got a quick watch vs slow watch split starting to show. So far everyone who has binged it has said about the same stuff.

It’s gotta be the driving factor.
This is bullshit, I watched it all in a short space of time and I thought season 8 was a horrible car crash.

luke511

It’s never stated outright, but wouldn’t you say it is implied several times?

Look at when he gives Arya the dagger and where he gives it to her.
He had one or two out of body visions/dreams of prophecies before he became the 3 eyed raven but they were never out of choice. If he could've looked into the future there would've been less need for him to focus on the present and the past as he did. I think Bran created that future by giving her the knife, he didn't see that future and then give her the knife because of it. Also he wouldn't have sent Theon to his death if he knew Arya was coming anyway.

Carolina Red

Staff
He had one or two out of body visions/dreams of prophecies before he became the 3 eyed raven but they were never out of choice. If he could've looked into the future there would've been less need for him to focus on the present and the past as he did. I think Bran created that future by giving her the knife, he didn't see that future and then give her the knife because of it. Also he wouldn't have sent Theon to his death if he knew Arya was coming anyway.
That’s a question I raised earlier though. If we assume he can see the future, which I fall on the side that he can due to those dreams and actions, then maybe he just can’t affect it. A powerless observer. That’s why Theon still died, why he had to receive the dagger and had to give it to Arya, and why he couldn’t prevent what happened at King’s Landing.

luke511

That’s a question I raised earlier though. If we assume he can see the future, which I fall on the side that he can due to those dreams and actions, then maybe he just can’t affect it. A powerless observer. That’s why Theon still died, why he had to receive the dagger and had to give it to Arya, and why he couldn’t prevent what happened at King’s Landing.
He can see the present and past as the 3 eyed raven, the narrative is he can't see the future to his advantage like you made it sound like he can in your original point. But if you want to believe that he can, then again fair enough.