Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Carolina Red

Staff
He can see the present and past as the 3 eyed raven, the narrative is he can't see the future to his advantage like you made it sound like he can in your original point. But if you want to believe that he can, then again fair enough.
I always just kinda thought that’s part of the 3 eyes of the raven. Past, present, future. If there’s something written saying that’s wrong, I’ve just not read it.

Now if he can use the future for his personal advantage or not, I don’t know. I saw the dagger part as not for his “personal” advantage but for the good of humanity.

luke511

:lol: Silva's been had here.
He hasn't
we get that's what the show was building up to, everyone dying until a bitter ending with the few survivors taking over, the problem was 3 seasons of shitty dialogue, characters dying a slow literary death and abrupt changes in pacing that served the writers boner for cashing in on star wars rather than serving the story

every single character got dumber the second they ran out of source material, they all lost any semblance of humanity they had and became one dimensional chess pieces for d&d to teleport into dull battles that had no emotional payoff because even their fan service sucked hairy balls

varys went from the master of wispers that had an ear to everything and sensed every coming change to a conspiracy theorist that based all his decision making on whims rather than information, him thinking denearys is going to be mad because "coin toss" isn't in his character even a little - at least put some fecking effort in and have varys reason his way to the realisation, because that's what his character does, he gathers information and comes to conclusions, he doesn't act on a fecking whim
his conspiring to overthrow the mad queen might as well have been him wearing a t-shit that said "yo feck that blonde bitch lmao", dude was whispering into a god dam megaphone

tyrions transformation from a boozing, whoring, egocentric wit to a competent hand would have made more sense if they had shown him making even one, just one, good decision but instead they had him feck up every battle, make every wrong choice, advise the queen to be a quaint, pretty face that doesn't use her dragons or any tactic that won her multiple cities. you can't try to turn him into the hand of the winner when everything he did in the show meant that any ruler with half a brain would hang him for being a stupid arsehole who loses your men and battles

john snows dialogue only makes sense if they had a scene where they hodor'd his fecking brain, it's like they wrote the script with [placeholder] on all his lines and then just copy and pasted "i don wannn it" because they didn't want to spend any time actually thinking actual things he would say

the battle of winterfell was absolute horseshit, what kind of moronic general is going to send their strongest warriors head first into an enemy that resurrects the dead and why the feck did they have half them survive anyway, at least have the courage of your writing and kill the overwhelming majority

then we see the unsullied get completely brutalised with only a few battalions making back into the castle
nah bruv don't worry about it, half of them are barely scratched

there was shit all reason for so much of the cast to survive that battle, sam should have been killed when jon snow decided to abandon him, again have the courage of your writing, don't force jon snow to make that decision and there be zero consequences to it

the white walkers did nothing at all. you had all these characters who have been built as the greatest warriors in the land in that castle, jamie, briene, jon snow, jorah mormont and what do they do? they fight mindless zombies the entire time the closest anyone got was jon snow getting cockblocked, which, like fine, that's what ya king does but why not have the other warriors fight wws?

then comes the big epic finale of the show where they all somehow survive 4 times the zombies that killed jorah mormont and the big bad ice king gets easily assassinated yaaay how fun

and i'm not even going to get into the galaxy brain you'd need for a prisoner on death row to choose the fecking king, like whaaaat the feck
This comment sums up well how badly they fecked it up.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Jesus, seems the new way to upset basically anyone on the Internet these days is to say Game of Thrones season 8 was completely fine. :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Jesus, seems the new way to upset basically anyone on the Internet these days is to say Game of Thrones season 8 was completely fine. :lol:
It's fine man, it'll end pretty amicably. I'm going to predict a timeline;

Hurrhurrhurrheehee

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I always liked the theory that Jon was Lightbringer. It just seemed to fit quite well.

Even if you don't agree with me on that surely anything would be better than a cardboard cut out of Jon Snow stabbing Evil Dany and fecking off to shag bears up North with Tormund.

bleedred

32 Emmy nominations for Final season, including best actor for Jon"You're mcqueen" snow.:lol::lol::lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series

David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, “The Iron Throne,” Game of Thrones
David Nutter, “The Last of the Starks,” Game of Thrones
Miguel Sapochnik, “The Long Night,” Game of Thrones
Lisa Brühlmann, “Desperate Times,” Killing Eve
Jason Bateman, “Reparations,” Ozark
Adam McKay, “Celebration,” Succession
Daina Reid, “Holly,” The Handmaid’s Tale
Dumb&Dumber nominated for an episode with an IMDB rating of 4.2, less than half of any episode from any of the first seven seasons. Emmys are a complete joke.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Dumb&Dumber nominated for an episode with an IMDB rating of 4.2, less than half of any episode from any of the first seven seasons. Emmys are a complete joke.
And yet here you are talking about them and getting a bit upset over them like they matter.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The Thrones steamroller was inevitable. It’s the TV phenomenon of our time, in its final season of eligibility. HBO has one of the biggest voting blocs in the entire Television Academy, and several other major contenders like The Handmaid’s Tale sat out this eligibility window specifically to avoid being burned to ash by Drogon(*). Thirty-two nominations — including three of the six drama directing slots and four of the six drama supporting actress slots — would feel excessive even for a creatively stronger season, but it also seemed inevitable, given the show’s success and the relative lack of competition. (That writing nom for the finale was the show’s creators, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, gaming the system by only submitting one script in the category, knowing there’s no way they’d be omitted altogether.)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Alfie Allen is the only one who I'd like to see win it. His entire performance has been brilliant, start to end.

Cersei, Brienne, Arya and Sansa get best supporting actress nominations is absurd. Ruth from Ozark deserves that by a country mile.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some of those Emmy noms are absolutely hilarious... namely, pretty much all the acting ones... and the writing ones.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Some of those Emmy noms are absolutely hilarious... namely, pretty much all the acting ones... and the writing ones.
The whole thing just feels like a pisstake, but the Emmy's have always given special preference to iconic shows in their final season's so it's not much of a surprise either.

Art Vandelay

Who makes the decision on who to nominate? If it's D&D making the decision to put Arya and Sansa forward then it's further proof they are off their fecking heads. I don't know which was worse but they were both awful, not that they had much to work with.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Who makes the decision on who to nominate? If it's D&D making the decision to put Arya and Sansa forward then it's further proof they are off their fecking heads. I don't know which was worse but they were both awful, not that they had much to work with.
At least they actually had stuff to do (not that the stuff that had to do was good... or that they did it well) Cersei literally spent most of the season staring out of a window.

Art Vandelay

At least they actually had stuff to do (not that the stuff that had to do was good... or that they did it well) Cersei literally spent most of the season staring out of a window.
Yeah, but I've not seen staring out a window done that well since Hayden Christensen in Star Wars Episode 2. It was top drawer stuff.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Alfie Allen is the only one who I'd like to see win it. His entire performance has been brilliant, start to end.

Cersei, Brienne, Arya and Sansa get best supporting actress nominations is absurd. Ruth from Ozark deserves that by a country mile.
Arya/Maisie started off as the best Stark child actor then after her dreadful assassin arc she became awful.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Arya/Maisie started off as the best Stark child actor then after her dreadful assassin arc she became awful.
One suspects the writing was the problem there rather than her acting ability suddenly deteriorating. The character became ridiculously one dimensional.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I don't think we can judge her acting based on what we saw in GoT, given how all over the place the story telling especially with her character/development was in the last seasons.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
"What's my motivation in this scene?"

"Dunno, just look a bit smug. That's it."
She's a bit robotic in season 7 once she gets back to Winterfell - and man that scene on the ramparts in Beyond the Wall (I think?) where she's arguing with Sansa about the Joffrey letter is awful - but I thought she really brought it home in season 8. It was just nice to see her as Arya again, back home with the Starks, defending her own, getting some from Gendry, then eventually killing the Night King and trying to save some common people in King's Landing. That was the Arya she was always supposed to be.

Sylar

This has been quite funny to read

I don't think @Carolina Red is trolling too much. My gf wasn't invested as much as I was as she basically finished the whole show over 4-5 weeks and wasn't anticipating the final seasons over a long wait.

I gave season 7 leeway thinking they've rushed things there but s8 defo had a lot more stupidity. And captain jerk sparrow was surrounding a lot of it.

Tyrion suggesting they go down into the crypts (which even the actor himself suggested is not too smart) shows it wasn't a good thing for esp what his character has shown

It also didn't help that those who watched weekly were subjected to shit like "dany sorta forgot about the fleet" which binge watchers wouldn't see (the stupidity of that line wiping out at least some sort of imaginative thinking you could have). Not only that but less time to think about and analyze military strategic planning which this thread seemed to have about 50 pages worth

I do find binge watching walking dead made the show much more enjoyable than the weekly viewings and frustrations

First 6 seasons of GoT being watched weekly was an event. I reckon s7 and s8 is less annoying if you binge it (which is kinda a sad defence for such a top level show)

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
It also didn't help that those who watched weekly were subjected to shit like "dany sorta forgot about the fleet" which binge watchers wouldn't see (the stupidity of that line wiping out at least some sort of imaginative thinking you could have). Not only that but less time to think about and analyze military strategic planning which this thread seemed to have about 50 pages worth

I do find binge watching walking dead made the show much more enjoyable than the weekly viewings and frustrations

First 6 seasons of GoT being watched weekly was an event. I reckon s7 and s8 is less annoying if you binge it (which is kinda a sad defence for such a top level show)
Do like this point. I think it has something to do with what California Red is saying, and it has a little bit to do with how the last season's being viewed overall. Back when season 7 ended I remember listening to a podcast who did a review of it in one go, and to do so they all binge-watched it again within a few days instead of doing one per week - every host said it worked better when viewed in one or two sittings as opposed to waiting for a week for the next one to come around. Since season 8's finished I've been thinking about that again, about how the way quite a lot of people watch Game of Thrones has changed significantly since season 6.

The number of live weekly viewers shot up after season 6, which means that quite a lot of new viewers went from binge-watching the first six seasons to watching the last two on a week by week basis, which meant that they had time to get involved with detailed discussions and theories and such. In the past, if they had a question or an annoyance, they couldn't go online to talk about it because they'd risk getting spoiled, and quite often the show would just answer their questions anyway. Take the (ridiculous) complaints people made about Jon not petting Ghost - if they binge-watch the season, Jon's back petting Ghost within two episodes and the complaints never arise.

Sometimes it means the show doesn't hold up quite so well under scrutiny when people have a week to analyse it, but I think having a week to analyse something can often take the instant joy out of it. I think people stopped trusting the show to just tell its story - they were instead waiting for an ending that met the expectations and theories they'd spent all that time coming up with, so when the show didn't deliver the natural human reaction was to be pissed off. That's not to absolve the show of anything it did wrong - I loved the last season but could see it was flawed in avoidable ways - but I think it partially explains why quite a lot of people who came to the show either after Jon's stabbing (like me) or 'The Winds of Winter' (like a lot of people) were left a little confused and bewildered by the last two seasons.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
i've watched it weekly since the day it started and I can categorically say that season 8 is a massive pile of turd.
Oh yeah I'm not saying that it's the only reason - the GOT fanbase is too big for any simplistic analysis - but I think such a radical change in viewing habits can have an effect on how people receive a TV show.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Oh yeah I'm not saying that it's the only reason - the GOT fanbase is too big for any simplistic analysis - but I think such a radical change in viewing habits can have an effect on how people receive a TV show.
I don't think it's a reason at all. The final season was pure shite regardless of what way you view it.

Actually maybe it would've been better watching it backwards seeing as it got progressively more shite the more it went along.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I don't think it's a reason at all. The final season was pure shite regardless of what way you view it.

Actually maybe it would've been better watching it backwards seeing as it got progressively more shite the more it went along.
Okay, not up for a chat, then. That's cool. :)

Sylar

I think s8 overall is so poor cos it felt rushed as well as taking too long (if that makes sense). It hit some notes it needed to, but it wasnt natural progression but a rushed attempt to get there.

Where they ended up was fine, how they did it was mostly the issue for me.
The annoying thing is watching youtube videos months after its finished, and it coming back :lol:

Irwin99

When you think back to the last moments between Jon and Dany that really SHOULD have been one of TV's finest scenes and the climax of 8 years of storytelling. As it was however, I don't think anyone really reacted to it with any sense of shock or loss. It was all very underwhelming, especially considering that this series is famous for delivering on these type of payoffs. It sounds mean but I think Kit didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his acting in that season although Emilia did well with the script she was given.

Sylar

When you think back to the last moments between Jon and Dany that really SHOULD have been one of TV's finest scenes and the climax of 8 years of storytelling. As it was however, I don't think anyone really reacted to it with any sense of shock or loss. It was all very underwhelming, especially considering that this series is famous for delivering on these type of payoffs. It sounds mean but I think Kit didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his acting in that season although Emilia did well with the script she was given.
I liked his speech after ep3 however his lines when you see them are pretty bad. I think most of the dialogue was bad although Dany I thought was great with her delivery

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Euron. Fecking Euron. What were they thinking?

One of the most morally corrupt cnuts reduced to "Tee hee I'm gonna feck the Queen with my big cock!"

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

One of the most morally corrupt cnuts reduced to "Tee hee I'm gonna feck the Queen with my big cock!"
Lack of dragon binder and the valyrian doom expeditions kind of spoiled his legend. The guy has an Armour of valyrian steel that's probably worth the iron islands itself

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Pretty much when they ran out of book material, the word cock was used in every third sentence, which is one the reasons why I really started disliking the show.