Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nobody would've thought a Giggs at the same age would be able to transform his game the way he's done either.

Ironically enough it seems like it's always polemic with Bale (too). People either over or underrate him. Good player who will surely continue to improve. Would have him at United in a heart beat, as I've said in this thread before, but don't see it happening.

Only caught the second half today, but I thought he had an OK half. Was certainly Spurs best attacking outlet together with Adebayor. Modric for instance, had a stinker from what I saw. Bale was much better.
The difference with Giggs was that he was a lot more than pace. He was fast, but I wouldn't say he was as fast as Bale. What made Giggs great was the fact that he was an excellent all-round winger. He was a good dribbler, and his delivery was great as well. Pace is arguably the only aspect as a winger which Bale beats him in.

Who knows, maybe he will find a way to transform his game as he gets older, however it will be a lot harder for him to do it than it was for Giggs.

The_Midfielder

Think Spurs are lost without Lennon.... Today Ramires, Ivanovic were doubling him up... Spurs had no outlet except for him...
so harsh to judge him on todays game..

Bebe

This wasn't a game to judge Bale on. He's at his best when Spurs are on the front foot, exploiting the wings with Lennon and Bale while controlling the centre with that superb midfield of theirs.

Harry set up for a draw and got it, utilising Bale was never in the plan. Lots of defensive responsibility and they tried to play the ball up the field by using Adebayor to hold it up.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
At the same ages i think Bale has a better quality delivery than Giggs had. Giggs' final ball was always below the rest of his game, it is only in the past 5/6 years that he has sorted that out.

Difficult to compare them. Bale is all about power, pace and delivery, Giggs was much more skillfull and a better all round player imo.

Not sure about the Chiefs, Giggs faster or as fast as Bale claim. Personally i always felt Giggs best attribute was the speed he could run at with the ball at his feet, i never felt he was exceptionally quick without it. Quick but not amongst the quickest.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Was great today to be fair to him. There was far less fannying about drifting inside. When he is on form and sticks to what he is very good at ie going past the full back and pulling the ball across, he causes problems all day long.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Coleman: "If there's a better left sided attacking player on the planet, I dunno"

Go on Chris, have a think. You'll kick yourself, you really will.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He called the Liverpool keeper Claudio Reyna earlier so I wouldn't expect much out of poor Chris.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Coleman: "If there's a better left sided attacking player on the planet, I dunno"

Go on Chris, have a think. You'll kick yourself, you really will.
:lol:

balebalebalebale

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Though to be fair he will use that argument that Messi plays through middle now days and before that used to operate from right. He talked about left sided and not left footed.

Lynk

You see this is why I can't like Bale. He is shit for the best part of two months. Puts in one good performance today and suddenly "BEST LEFT WINGER IN THE WORLD HYPE HYPE *** ***"

AttackingFlair

Do they mean left footed or just someone playing on the left? If the latter then there's obviously better players on the left side who are right footed.

Lynk

He isn't the best left footed player in the world, and he isn't the best left sided player in the world. He might be the best left sided left footer in the world but talk about being specific.

AttackingFlair

Yeah it's a bit silly people trying to fit in a 'best in the world' tag like that, just unnecessary hype.

Zen

Crazy reactions to that on twitter.....he didn't say left footed and Messi barely even comes in from the left as stated here.

Overstatement, but since classic wingers aren't exactly an in thing right now, it's not exactly a crazy stretch. I mean we alone probably have 3 of the best ones. But of course, these analysts have to spell it out for people otherwise you'll get a huge backlash.

AttackingFlair

Well going from Mockney's quote 'best left sided attacking player', that suggests all attackers rather than just wingers, so the backlash seems justified.

Chabon

He's pretty much exactly as good as Ronaldo was before the 2006 world cup.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
You see this is why I can't like Bale. He is shit for the best part of two months. Puts in one good performance today and suddenly "BEST LEFT WINGER IN THE WORLD HYPE HYPE *** ***"
Except that is not how it is. He has been very good this season. 11 goals and 9 assists is a great return for a winger. Harry playing him on the right fecked him up a bit over last month. He should stick to being a proper left winger for sometime. If he becomes a world beater there, then he can think of going into a free role.

Zen

Well you have Ribery....who probably rotates to the right far more often than Bale does, looking better than him this year really. I mean I'm as anti-Bale hype as anyone(well maybe not, I don't really care), but when the field of competition is so slim, it's simply not that outrageous.

Unless your gonna start counting playmakers who drift out there like Silva, then I guess I dunno, but at least Bale hasn't gone awol in the second half of this year as much as Silva has, so that'd be pretty close too.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Messi never plays on the left anymore, he isnt a left winger in the slightest.

Assume Mockney was talking about Ronaldo, because he's pretty much always on the left now.

Neutral

BTV
At the same ages i think Bale has a better quality delivery than Giggs had. Giggs' final ball was always below the rest of his game, it is only in the past 5/6 years that he has sorted that out.

Difficult to compare them. Bale is all about power, pace and delivery, Giggs was much more skillfull and a better all round player imo.

Not sure about the Chiefs, Giggs faster or as fast as Bale claim. Personally i always felt Giggs best attribute was the speed he could run at with the ball at his feet, i never felt he was exceptionally quick without it. Quick but not amongst the quickest.
Ryan Giggs at one stage had 276 assists in 573 career league matches(not official stats, a few places got together to put together the mentioned stats). He'd already played around 8-9 seasons, when the PL started counting assists, and even then he has 130+.

Gareth Bale will turn 23 in a couple of months, and thus far he has 16-17 career league assists. Bale is an outstanding player...but Giggs was setting records by the time he was 23.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Bale isn't all about pace, though. Players who're that one-dimensional get found out very quickly - David Bellion was no slouch, but neither was he a very good footballer. Although pace is Bale's strongest asset, his delivery and shooting abilities are not to be scoffed at. As has already been said, 11 goals and 9 assists is a very good return, especially when you consider that he doesn't have the freedom to neglect defending that the likes of Ronaldo had.

Is he the best left-sided attacker on the planet? No - perhaps the best exclusively left-sded player, but a lack of versatility isn't something which should be celebrated. He is, however, an extremely capable player who poses a real threat when he's playing against your team. Very few right-backs can keep him out of a game (Rafael, for all of his injuries, is one of the few exceptions).

My concern for Bale is that he may end up following the Gerrard ignorance of failing to adapt his game (a la Giggs) once his physicality starts to fail him. If he can, he has a phenomenal career ahead of him.

Zen

Gerrards gone from like DM to box to box to winger to second striker back to midfield where he's now struggling, but Giggs struggled for a bit at the same age too, I'm not saying he's Giggs, he isn't, but to say he hasn't adapted his game is a bit unfair, Gerrard should be alrite for a while yet even with some limitations he has in his game, as long as Liverpool get some others with so that they don't all look to him when it's shite(a luxury Giggs luckily has never had.)

Varun

Staff
Stick him wide on the left and he'l be very good. Its the freedom to move all over the pitch that fecks it up because quite honestly, he isnt good enough to do that.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is the best lef footed left sided that wears number 3 and plays for tottenham player in the world. That's good for a player who was best player in EPL last year.

He was good today though, finally good game from him.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He is outstanding. Him and Valencia on both wings will tear the PL apart. so how much will him and Modric cost?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Very good player, but we're not buying him given our wealth of wingers at the moment, especially with Spuds knocking on the CL door again. We missed that boat. Time to move on.