Gary Neville - Pundit

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Gary Neville probably was the runt of the litter at United's hey-day in terms of having a voice in the locker room. You can easily imagine Cantona, Keane, Giggsy, Schmeichel etc all having a big discussion and Neville putting his hand up to say something and everyone just ignored him.

So now he has a platform to talk and boy does he talk.

Doesn't bother me too much to be fair but it's just sad seeing legends from other clubs smashing it (Carragher as a pundit, Gerrard doing decent as a manager, Vieira doing well with Palace etc) whilst our legends seem like braindead idiots :lol:
Sir Alex on Gary Neville

" We always said of Gary that he woke up angry. His was an argumentative nature. He is a forthright
guy. Where he sees error, sees flaws, he attacks them. His instinct was not to negotiate his way
through an impasse, but strike hard with his opinions. There was no consensus with Gary. He was
explosive. I would see a small issue escalate in his mind. But with me he knew where the limits of my
patience were. I would say: ‘Gary, go and annoy someone else.’"

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sir Alex on Gary Neville

" We always said of Gary that he woke up angry. His was an argumentative nature. He is a forthright
guy. Where he sees error, sees flaws, he attacks them. His instinct was not to negotiate his way
through an impasse, but strike hard with his opinions. There was no consensus with Gary. He was
explosive. I would see a small issue escalate in his mind. But with me he knew where the limits of my
That very last sentence says it all

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@devilish's Point stands though that he was always opinionated and never really shied away from sharing his views, most definitely not among his contemporaries.
Yes but I still feel that nobody in that team gave a feck about what he has to say whereas now, a lot of media hang on his every word.

Glorio

Yes but I still feel that nobody in that team gave a feck about what he has to say whereas now, a lot of media hang on his every word.
Considering he ended up being made the captain by the same manager later on, I doubt that was the case. Not a specific Gary fan or anything, but he seems like he'd actually have been very vocal and influential in the dressing room.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Could easily replace ‘Mark’ with ‘Manchester United’ there. Him and the people on that channel are just regular fans that have an opinion no different to what we see on this very forum.
I don't agree

Mark Goldberg is annoying.
Most of his YouTuber associates seem like nice people, and often knowledgeable. It's almost amusing to see his co-hosts cringe with Mark as he asserts his opinion that way he does sometimes.

I prefer personalities with some sense of humility, such as Andy of 'Let's Talk FPL'. I wish Andy would do a separate show that focused strictly on Manchester United.

It comes down the this, After a few years of watching Mark, after each show I ask myself, what did I learn from this show. Honestly, more than 80 % of the time I felt like Goldberg wasted my time.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Not only was he captain but numerous players used him as their agent when contract renewal came up. Do me a favor

KingCavani

I think Gary’s a good pundit and doesn’t deserve the stick he gets. Obviously he’s emotional as it pertains to United and Ole but not sure why that’s held against him.

Unlike the other United pundits he has been consistent in not putting down any manager. He’s been accused of being kinder on Ole and of course he’s not going to dig out his mate but he’s defended previous managers in the same manner.

Went to war with AFTV defending Wenger when 95% of Arsenal fans wanted him gone. He tore the club a new one when they sacked Jose and when they didn’t back him in the summer window. He was lighter on him than just about any TV pundit and most United fans.

As for the City stuff. I don’t see him saying that as an unbridled praise of their ownership but rather using it to criticise United falling behind while calling itself the biggest club in the world. He has a point.

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It's fine to take issue with his defence of Ole but the derision he inspires on here baffles me a bit. He gets as close as I think is as possible to that almost impossible balance between insightful objective pundit and passionate red. I like him.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Considering he ended up being made the captain by the same manager later on, I doubt that was the case. Not a specific Gary fan or anything, but he seems like he'd actually have been very vocal and influential in the dressing room.
Not only was he captain but numerous players used him as their agent when contract renewal came up. Do me a favor
See I'm thinking more around the time when Keane, Cantona etc were around. I doubt Neville's voice would have been heard in that.

But I wasn't there... Maybe Neville used to boss Keane and Schmeichel around :lol:

AndySmith1990

I think Gary’s a good pundit and doesn’t deserve the stick he gets. Obviously he’s emotional as it pertains to United and Ole but not sure why that’s held against him.

Unlike the other United pundits he has been consistent in not putting down any manager. He’s been accused of being kinder on Ole and of course he’s not going to dig out his mate but he’s defended previous managers in the same manner.

Went to war with AFTV defending Wenger when 95% of Arsenal fans wanted him gone. He tore the club a new one when they sacked Jose and when they didn’t back him in the summer window. He was lighter on him than just about any TV pundit and most United fans.

As for the City stuff. I don’t see him saying that as an unbridled praise of their ownership but rather using it to criticise United falling behind while calling itself the biggest club in the world. He has a point.
Being consistent in defending managers doesn't give him any credibility, it makes him a hypocrite as he sacks managers at Salford. Therefore he clearly knows when a manager is doing a bad job and should be replaced.

KingCavani

Being consistent in defending managers doesn't give him any credibility, it makes him a hypocrite as he sacks managers at Salford. Therefore he clearly knows when a manager is doing a bad job and should be replaced.
Ridiculous. They’re two different jobs.

He’s literally responsible for Salford along with others - It’s part of the job that he does what’s best for Salford. He doesn’t owe any club anything as a pundit and is entitled to whatever principles he feels are right.

He’s not saying managers should never be sacked but that he doesn’t want to use his platform, where he has real influence on public opinion to call for another person’s job, especially when the discourse inevitably gets as toxic as it does. It’s easy to see why he’d want to stay clear.

Northstand

It's fine to take issue with his defence of Ole but the derision he inspires on here baffles me a bit. He gets as close as I think is as possible to that almost impossible balance between insightful objective pundit and passionate red. I like him.
Well said, completely agree.

croadyman

Vert interested to hear what he has to say on Rangnick when doing the game today

redrobed

I find it very strange that we paid his wages for so long and he seems to absolutely hate us and love City and Liverpool. Bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss.

Withnail

I'm sorry but he has no clue where that line is and ties himself up on knots over it. He's unbearable when commentating on United games if it's not going well. He loses all objectivity.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I find it very strange that we paid his wages for so long and he seems to absolutely hate us and love City and Liverpool. Bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss.
He doesn't hate us or love them.

lex talionis

I just can’t take Neville seriously when it comes to United. Ole is a mate of his, end of.

passtheball

Sir Alex on Gary Neville

guy. Where he sees error, sees flaws, he attacks them.
His instinct was not to negotiate his way
Not when it came to Ole.

That special nugget of Neville - "United have already tried big name managers so why go down that path again." - was utterly illogical. He was a sh*t manager and he is a sh*t pundit because he can't objectively assess United's situation. He can't be taken seriously again.

GueRed

Jaap Stam on Gary Neville
"He was a strong, forceful character. Backed up with a good footballing brain people found it hard not to listen."

He also wrote Gary and Phil Neville were 'Busy cnuts'.
"Busy cnuts we call them, for their endless grumbling about everything in general and nothing in particular" :D

Superden

For all the stick he gets as a pundit he had, as a player, a greater competitive urge than most of our current squad put together. Theres no way he wouldn't have been screaming blue murder at some of the attitudes in the squad over the last few years....

wolvored

I don't agree

Mark Goldberg is annoying.
Most of his YouTuber associates seem like nice people, and often knowledgeable. It's almost amusing to see his co-hosts cringe with Mark as he asserts his opinion that way he does sometimes.

I prefer personalities with some sense of humility, such as Andy of 'Let's Talk FPL'. I wish Andy would do a separate show that focused strictly on Manchester United.

It comes down the this, After a few years of watching Mark, after each show I ask myself, what did I learn from this show. Honestly, more than 80 % of the time I felt like Goldberg wasted my time.
I felt the same watching Neville spout the same drivel. Would sooner watch Carragher and his whiny voice for 10 mins than Neville for 2. In fact Richards is probably the most unbiased pundit they have.

Hughie77

Gary like his partner ex scum . Merson, and a lot more just don't see any positives at OT. Merson bitter, scum bitter, Neville out of them all is maybe justified to chops as hes ex players. The rest just like sticking the knife in.
Just imagine a Premier league without MAN UTD. What would they have to moan about, klopps new teeth, Tuchels silly hat, peps annoying voice and grin. ??

KingCavani

I actually don't mind Neville - but what the hell is up with him. :rolleyes:
I mean it’s entirely possible. This happens a fair bit with incoming managers. If he requested they do something who is telling him no?

lsd

The Oracle
I mean it’s entirely possible. This happens a fair bit with incoming managers. If he requested they do something who is telling him no?

I highly doubt that a manager intent on fast pressing football has requested a midfield of Matic,McTominay and Fred

United in sin

I highly doubt that a manager intent on fast pressing football has requested a midfield of Matic,McTominay and Fred
That's our entire midfield. Who else would he select going forward before the transfer window?