Gaming Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Played the first 3 hours today. Decent so far, though nothing extraordinary to be totally honest. The first few missions have been generic but this can improve later on. Combat is very fun though once you get the hang of it, and the wind mechanic is a very nice and new idea.
I think those two things alone will keep me playing and of course the amazing scenery. It’s really refreshing not having to open my map menu every 5 seconds which I feel happens on AC Odyssey. My issue is I’m just not great at the combat, I’ve found the bow is pretty strong but once I’m getting hit from all angles simultaneously I really struggle.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm liking it enough, but the world is very heavy on chores. I'm not one for skipping stuff I walk by either, but so far most of the side activities are very video gamey. Also, the "you are a world class rock climber, but no not that ledge only the one we clearly stuck on the wall to climb on" thing is a bit 2010.

b82REZ

Absolutely blown away by this.

I've not had this giddy sort of excitement to explore an open world since BoTW.

I'm just slowly walking around the island taking it all in and organically finding missions and collectibles. The way they've structured the world to guide you, yet make you feel like you're the one exploring is amazing.

Combat certainly takes some getting used to. Lack of a lock on button is still causing me a headache in some smaller areas but it is starting to click with me more now and I'm regularly chopping down groups of Mongols. Although the chain kills from showdowns has trivialised some of the combat.

The Japanese dub sounds more authentic but I keep switching between the two tracks because it's a bugger reading subtitles during gameplay sections.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
i'm getting hammered by the spearmen, What's the trick?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
One glowing positive is the load times. Fast traveling or dying has barely any.

b82REZ

They usually block my attacks after I've dodged. Anyway I'll manage, I just suck at the combat.
Use a side step dodge and then quick attack to break their guard. You'll get one or two hits off. I try and prioritise taking out archers and spearmen because they can hit you from much further away.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoyed it more once the world opened up but haven’t got very far at all yet. Not had time.

Irwin99

I found out I was hitting the dodge button too hard and rolling away from opponents which left no opportunity to counter. Just gently pressing the dodge button and the direction you want to go in makes a huge difference to the combat.

TrustInJanuzaj

Must say, Im getting sucked in now. Liking it more and more.
I agree, it’s really addicting and I think once you hit the stage where you can start to take on large groups in one go it’s really satisfying.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What difficulty are you guys playing on? I went with hard as I always do with most games. It's quite brutal at times.

TrustInJanuzaj

I went hard difficulty, I found it solid to begin with but I'm starting to feel like a boss now when I'm cutting down 10 guys.

Woodzy

Combat is incredible, really impressed, especially after I read someone called it arcadey previously. Had one boss battle clearing out a dojo but thought that was incredible too, very dramatic.

All I can think about while I play though is how I wish The Witcher 3 had gameplay on this level...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Damn I can’t wait to fire this up on PS4 on an OLED. I’ve such a backlog. Spider Man, Horizon, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War.

I’ve played them all but I just wasn’t satisfied with the graphical fidelity. I think a bump at to native 4K will absolutely be worth the wait.

el3mel

I really, really like the open world design and the wind mechanic to know where to go. Makes you feel very immersed in the game.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That title drop scene is absolutely beautiful. I love the music and how it blends in. Sony first party games are class apart.

Few texture issues apart ( mostly due to large LOD and limitation of PS4), this game is absolutely amazing. Combat system is best I have played in sometime. Hopefully they improve some visual issue ( texture of rocks and sometimes you notice feet is not visible while walking, I know it is minor but Last of Us 2 has spoiled me ) with PS5 update. It still looks amazing.

Was thinking of waiting for price drop as I had little busy time with work but I am so glad that I went ahead with this one. Work can wait ;)

Gehrman

Gah I suck so much at it i'm playing on easy.

Woodzy

Hard to judge an open world game like this on the first few hours and very import that helps keep interest and stay fresh throughout, but what I will say is that there is not a lot I don't like so far.

Combat seems to have nailed that aspect of enjoyment where you can't see it ever getting repetitive. All about the weight and the feel of it.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Loving it so far a bit slow first hours but then it open up. Like a mix between Witcher 3 and the Batman Arkham games combat never gets old! Also full of quests like the latest Ac games and I have to do all quests of course! Another excellent game this year.

RedDevilRoshi

Damn I can’t wait to fire this up on PS4 on an OLED. I’ve such a backlog. Spider Man, Horizon, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War.

I’ve played them all but I just wasn’t satisfied with the graphical fidelity. I think a bump at to native 4K will absolutely be worth the wait.
Don’t know what OLED you have but I’ve got the LG C9 and it just looks absolutely mesmerising playing the likes of this and TLOU 2.

Can’t wait to play the PS5 on it when it’s out :drool:

Paxi

Don’t know what OLED you have but I’ve got the LG C9 and it just looks absolutely mesmerising playing the likes of this and TLOU 2.

Can’t wait to play the PS5 on this when it’s out :drool:
I’ve the same mate.

Paxi

You won’t be disappointed mate. It just looks insanely impressive!
Im actually waiting on PS5 before playing this as I want better resolution. Not really digging the soft 1440p. I’ll wait 4 months. Not that long to go now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I still think some of the open world content is a bit rubbish. Chasing a fox around is sort of cool exactly once. As is composing a haiku or completing a midnumbingly easy bamboo strike.

However, I'm enjoying it a lot overall. The combat is awesome.

Gehrman

I still think some of the open world content is a bit rubbish. Chasing a fox around is sort of cool exactly once. As is composing a haiku or completing a midnumbingly easy bamboo strike.

I couldn't do the bamboo strike where you had to press 5 different buttons

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

It’s generally my issue with open world games, too much filler.

el3mel

It’s generally my issue with open world games, too much filler.
It's true that the more I grow up, the more I just enjoy the linear games much more than open world ones.

This one is great though. I'm getting more immersed into its open world and I'm doing more side missions and activities than main ones. The missions are mostly generic bar few but the combat makes up for it for me.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Must say, Im getting sucked in now. Liking it more and more.
Yeah, me too, wasn’t sure at the beginning as I’d just hopped straight off TLOU2.

I’ve just started the open world bit and am enjoying it more, didn’t want to turn the PS4 off last night which is a good sign.

Love the combat.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've had the exact same thing, went into this from TLOU2 and was a bit underwhelmed to start but really getting into it now.

I'm ok at the combat. I stumbled across a place with about 20 mongols and accidentally alerted them but managed to take them all down which felt good. But conversely I'll also somehow lose a fight with three of them because I dodge too late or a dog grabs me.

The depth of customisation seems decent too. I always forget I can change stances and ghost weapons.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Definitely a good idea to traverse down the Deflection tree early on. The ability to parry projectiles and strong attacks makes things so much easier.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Definitely a good idea to traverse down the Deflection tree early on. The ability to parry projectiles and strong attacks makes things so much easier.
Here I am getting evasion and accidentally rolling 15 feet away when a sidestep will do.

b82REZ

The one on one duels are so intense.

I highly recommend seeking out the mythical quests as well. They're by far the most interesting side missions and in my experience they culminate in a boss battle to earn a new move