Giggs as the Manager

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
After these comments Id like to see Welbeck lead the line with a breif cameo from RVP. Also Mata to start with Kags in the supporting roles.

JaapStam1986

He seems quite happy being in a suit than the kit. I wonder if we'll see Giggsy play for United ever again now. Rumours going around that if he doesn't get on LVG's coaching staff, he'll be offered another 1 year playing contract. Can't see how that will benifit anyone as I doubt LVG would play him much and Giggs would just be wasting away on the bench and not really able to take anything, manager experience-wise, from LVG.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He seems quite happy being in a suit than the kit. I wonder if we'll see Giggsy play for United ever again now. Rumours going around that if he doesn't get on LVG's coaching staff, he'll be offered another 1 year playing contract. Can't see how that will benifit anyone as I doubt LVG would play him much and Giggs would just be wasting away on the bench and not really able to take anything, manager experience-wise, from LVG.
Bit of a contradiction, because his supporters as manager state one of his main claims to succeed based on 20 years working with SAF.

Drifter

American
Schmeichel told BBC Radio 5 live: "I would like to see Ryan and his backroom staff given the opportunity to take the club forward.

"Manchester United is culturally so different to anywhere else. It is such a difficult place to manage. You need someone who knows and understands the culture.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What exactly is culturally so difficult about United that is different from other clubs/big clubs? Is it just people being extremely pretentious?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He does look quite classy in the suit. Let's hope LVG would appoint him as his assistant manager.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What exactly is culturally so difficult about United that is different from other clubs/big clubs? Is it just people being extremely pretentious?
Its very simple. 2 men of very similar football ideas and moral values embedded those concepts for over 50 years. Lets repeat that: 50 years of similar ideology woven into an institution. Rightly or wrongly, that means things are done in a certain way. And I cant think of another club in European football that has this kind of cultural legacy.

amolbhatia50k

Its very simple. 2 men of very similar football ideas and moral values embedded those concepts for over 50 years. Lets repeat that: 50 years of similar ideology woven into an institution. Rightly or wrongly, that means things are done in a certain way. And I cant think of another club in European football that has this kind of cultural legacy.
And no football club has La Masia of Barcelona where kids are coached into playing tiki taka across all levels so completely.

I mean, you have Microsoft where Bill Gates has been in charge for ages now but it moves on. The new guy in charge isn't walking into some culturally unique institution because Bill Gates has brushed every inch with his supposed culture.

I don't mean to mock your opinion but I'm just trying to wrap my head around what this supposed unique culture is. For me, SAF was a great manager who did great things. He had his ways, but I doubt he was some alien in his methods, methods which will need to be deciphered and understood deeply. My guess is that there isn't that much different in how different managers go about their jobs. Obviously there is a diference in how well they go about their jobs.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Something that bothers me, not sure if anyone's brought this up, not reading through the whole thread so forgive me.
If Giggs were to leave to get some managerial experience elsewhere with the thought that he'd come back. If he went to Cardiff or some such club, got hampered by twatty chairmen, or just not able to really build a club like he should, hampered by lack of funds etc. And ends up looking like so many of the other great players who've gone on to manage, but without great success. Would we have let him down by not giving him the chance to do it at a club where he has funds, has the backing of the whole club and it's fans and is held in such high esteem?

amolbhatia50k

Something that bothers me, not sure if anyone's brought this up, not reading through the whole thread so forgive me.
If Giggs were to leave to get some managerial experience elsewhere with the thought that he'd come back. If he went to Cardiff or some such club, got hampered by twatty chairmen, or just not able to really build a club like he should, hampered by lack of funds etc. And ends up looking like so many of the other great players who've gone on to manage, but without great success. Would we have let him down by not giving him the chance to do it at a club where he has funds, has the backing of the whole club and it's fans and is held in such high esteem?
I don't think so. If he's that good, he'll rise to the top and show his ability. Do we really think Mark Hughes is a top manager but for opportunities? Ryan Giggs can hardly slip under the radar too given how big a name he is.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The other side of that argument is that Ryan becomes manager after working in a comfort zone merely, rather than proving his managerial worth (relative to the United job) in another enviroment. United as a club simply cannot afford to encourage a 'closed shop' or an 'old boys network' when it comes to staff, for PR reasons and/or nostalgic ones; merit and talent must be the future priority, not time-serving and mythology.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't think so. If he's that good, he'll rise to the top and show his ability. Do we really think Mark Hughes is a top manager but for opportunities? Ryan Giggs can hardly slip under the radar too given how big a name he is.
Its not that simple though is it? Look how badly Rijkaard did at Sparta. If not for the Dutch connection in Catalonia he would never have gotten the Barcelona job, a job he excelled at.

You cannot say that if Pep Guardiola had taken over from Rene at Fulham they'd be safe by now. Martinez, who everyone thinks is a good coach, couldn't keep Wigan up and yes he won a trophy but had Mancini not split City's dressing room Wigan may have got hammered. Plus, winning a trophy...Harry Redknapp at Pompey, McCleish at Birmingham. What significance do we attach to those wins?

Success at management, as I see it, depends on a lot of different factors: what the coach wants to do, the tools he has to do it with, his personality, his man management ability. Its not as simple as saying if Giggs goes to West Brom and fails he hasn't earned his stripes or even if he goes to West Brom and keeps them up that he's proved enough. It could be used as evidence that he's capable of the step up but that's what Liverpool thought of Hodgson, its what United thought of Moyes.

A manager has to have a compelling vision, a clear plan towards getting there, the inspirational qualities to make it happen and the right playing staff to achieve it. You're not going to be playing like Real Madrid if you're managing Norwich.

Shark

@NotShark
God, the words coming out of the camp on Giggs are really making it hard to not be in favour of him taking over, even a little.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Pressure on Giggs now! Now we CAN qualify for Europa!

bishblaize

God, the words coming out of the camp on Giggs are really making it hard to not be in favour of him taking over, even a little.
A lot of that is simply the comparison to Moyes. Its wonderful to hear someone saying the right things rather than managing to put their foot in every five minutes.

I'd still be worried if he was made permanent manager.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Negativity towards Giggs is mind boggling. All this without knowing anything of Giggs attributes behind the scenes. It's all pointless talk anyway with LvG all but confirmed as United's next manager.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
This usually happens when an interim manager is appointed from within. All the players say how they want them to get the job because it doesn't change their own personal situation. Too many in the squad on easy street right now, a new broom is needed. They'd probably play for Giggs until the enthusiasm wore off, and that's where you need someone firm to kick some arse and not be their mate.

Don't know why everyone is worried, LvG is nailed on.

Green_Red

i hope so he still has a lot to contribute his games this season prove that, evertime he played he stood out, but its up to the new manager. Either way hes been a wizard for us. Taring them apart since 1990!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The Giggs PR machine is going full steam ahead, it seems.

Sickening the leveraging and jostling that's going on.
Maybe the players and those close to the club know Giggs' characteristics more than us fans.

Plugsy

Negativity towards Giggs is mind boggling. All this without knowing anything of Giggs attributes behind the scenes. It's all pointless talk anyway with LvG all but confirmed as United's next manager.
It seems that anyone who doesn't want him to get the job are accused of negativity.

Sam

I love Giggs, but I think its so clear we need a proper clean slate with a new manager, that has no attachment to Fergie or the old guard, if we are to move forward as a club and get back to the top.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I love Giggs, but I think its so clear we need a proper clean slate with a new manager, that has no attachment to Fergie or the old guard, if we are to move forward as a club and get back to the top.
how and why?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
As much as it sickens me to say, I agree with Mark Lawrenson. Giggs, and inexperienced player managers of his ilk are worth a shot with an established team of good players..A rebuilding job requires a proper manager, with a rep and an objective approach.

We need a refurb, and a steady hand to do it before we start getting all flowery and experimental.

Varun

Staff
how and why?
We need fresh ideas. Giggsy doesnt look like the man to provide that, as much as I love him as a player. Its the same old with him, Rio and Vida as CBs, 2 wingers when one of them is clearly far from being good enough. What better time to give the likes of Smalling, Evans, Januzaj, Kagawa etc matches? He's started with 2 CBs one of whom is leaving, the other in all probability leaving too and a winger who's absolute shit with no apparent change in style.

Sam

how and why?
Because our football is stuck in the dark ages of get the ball, throw it wide, and cross it in.

We need someone to come in, who can change things. Ryan Giggs, is not going to be that man.