Giggs as the Manager

Godfather

Can we just confirm the lvg appointment now and stop this talk of giggsy getting in permanently? The last week has seen ridiculous premature talk about giggsy in the media from people like lindegard and gary neville.
Well Lindegaard is known for talking a bit much and Neville has gone full retard anyway. Shame many jumped on that boat from the Caf.

Plugsy

Given what Neville often says about the 'United way' and Giggs' preference for everything to go through the wing like his predecessor, it's almost as if we're trying to live in the past. Under Moyes it was because he's tactically very basic and under Giggs these last few games maybe that's what he sees as the 'United way'. A new broom is urgently required. Wide players are fine and dandy but we've virtually nothing else. Mata ignored when in good positions centrally so often so the ball could get wide.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'll admit to have gotten carried away with the feel good factor generated by Giggsy's appointment last week. I honestly thought his appointment would take the handbrake off and really get us going again. However, the evidence of today's game is that the bounce was only temporary and that he hasn't been able to get into the ear of the players to the extent we thought he had. They were poor today, they lacked ambition, they lacked daring and it must be hard for Giggs to take because he has tried to build up their confidence by bigging them up in public.

However, Giggs must also take responsibility for the defeat given that his starting XI wasn't strong enough. Young and Nani crossed more poorly than Chicharito, Fletcher and Carrick had less creativity than a child at playtime. Maybe in training the squad looked a lot different? However, it was obvious early on what was going wrong and Young still survived and long time into the match.

This season has been a total wipe out. I hope we can turn it around quickly next year. Honestly, I've had my fill for this season.

Indired

As much as i hated Moyes in the end, thats exactly what he intended to do - start from scratch & get rid of the deadwood that was rotten away... Fergie was in agreement too from what i hear!
Yes, I feel the same, Moyes was bogged down by these words tradition,continuity, champions , the Manchester United way and all that, forgetting that end of the day results were a part and parcel of the whole approach which SAF managed somehow . If the results were not good enough, all these words are there just for the sake of themselves...

End of the day , I can never imagine the genius of SAF playing two shite wingers , who were "flat" in Giggs's words, in a match as important as this which was supposed to restore the confidence of the fans,the club and the players..

Drifter

American
Ryan Giggs admitted Manchester United's home form this season has not been good enough after they slumped to a 1-0 Old Trafford defeat at the hands of Sunderland.

Seb Larsson's goal in the 30th minute condemned the outgoing champions to their seventh home league reverse this term, and was the Black Cats' first win at United since 1968.

United's miserable form cost David Moyes his job last month, with Giggs appointed on an interim basis until the end of the season.

It had looked as though a corner had been turned with the 4-0 victory over Norwich last weekend, but many old failings returned as United struggled to break down a determined Sunderland side.

Giggs told Sky Sports: "I'm just disappointed, more than angry. We just didn't show that quality that we showed last week, especially in the final third. When you do that you come unstuck in the Premier League.

"I just didn't think that there was that concentration today when the passes really mattered.

"When you've got to break open a defence, play that key pass, or concentrate on a finish, it just wasn't there.

"I said last week we want to make it (Old Trafford) a fortress, as it always has been a difficult place to come. This season that has been the problem, our home form hasn't been good enough.

"The quality wasn't there. Once Sunderland got that first goal they got everyone behind the ball and counter-attacked on us, but we had enough possession to create more chances than we did.

"Manchester United is a big club. The form hasn't been good enough this year. I'm sure there will be players coming in, quality players. We need to improve and do better next season."

Giggs has pledged to continue to rotate his squad for the final two games of the season, and hopes Wayne Rooney will have recovered from a tight groin in time to face Hull City on Tuesday.

He added: "Hopefully his groin will settle down and Wayne will be involved, but we're just monitoring it.

"I said I'd give everyone a chance before the end of the season and that's what I'll carry on doing. I still believe in the quality in the dressing room."

kps88

Why is he so keen on giving everyone a chance? The players who play and train well are the ones who deserve the chance.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
But, but... Guardiola!

After enduring a week of hearing about Giggs = Guardiola, the class of 92 over and over, to the point of them being infallible and the "United Way" being carried on, this crappy defeat can't wipe the smug smirk fully off of my face.
We don't need a weaker Sir Alex clone, we need a complete reboot, having to hear about 442 with wingers after Real from Neville, Hey.. genius.. they have Ronaldo, Bale and Di Maria on their flanks, we have combos of Young, Valencia and Nani, playing a style to emphasise that dross isn't the best plan of action.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why is he so keen on giving everyone a chance? The players who play and train well are the ones who deserve the chance.
I really can't think of answer to this. What purpose do those chances serve? Hasn't everyone had chances all season?

hobbers

He's deluded about the quality of a lot of his team mates, that much is certain.

The difference between Norwich and today is that today we faced a team who wanted to win and put everything into winning. Norwich turned up expecting nothing from the game, so the result is irrelevant.

Still can't believe he set us up for wing play with only Hernandez in the box as well. When you play Carrick and Fletcher in midfield you know that neither will get anywhere near the penalty area, so unless you have an Andy Carroll up front, relying on crosses is just hopelessly stupid.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We played as our line up suggested we'd play. Was disappointed by Giggs I have to say even though we can't expect any wonders

Skills

Snitch
Fun fact of the day.

Pep Guardiola lost 1 one of his first two in charge of Barcelona. He in fact drew the other one. All of this coupled with Giggsy knowing the United way more than Guardiola knowing the Barcelona way (having played under one manager for much longer), quite obviously means Giggs > Guardiola.

Kakeru

What bugged me was that Giggs ordered to get more width at some point in the game. For me, that showed how there's a huge work to do in making the United boys (Class of '92, players, etc.) move away of that 4-4-2 crap and start playing down the middle for a change. I could agree about giving enough rope for Nani to hang himself with it, but Ashley Young should have been banned from the 18-man squad a very long time ago. I cannot stand this guy (Young) any longer.

Kakeru

Can we just confirm the lvg appointment now and stop this talk of giggsy getting in permanently? The last week has seen ridiculous premature talk about giggsy in the media from people like lindegard and gary neville.
I agree. Today's result should put a close to all debates.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's appalling that he asked for more width when it was clear that crossing wasn't working in the slightest. Down right Moyes like.

Sam

What bugged me was that Giggs ordered to get more width at some point in the game. For me, that showed how there's a huge work to do in making the United boys (Class of '92, players, etc.) move away of that 4-4-2 crap and start playing down the middle for a change. I could agree about giving enough rope for Nani to hang himself with it, but Ashley Young should have been banned from the 18-man squad a very long time ago. I cannot stand this guy (Young) any longer.
Have to agree with this.

Lance Uppercut

Manchester United fired David Moyes in recent weeks with current player Ryan Giggs handed the reigns for the remainder of the season.

The 40 year old player-manager is well aware of the speculation regarding Louis Van Gaal.

Van Gaal will reportedly sign as Manchester United manager next week and Ryan Giggs is open to moving elsewhere, according to the Mirror.

Giggs may leave Old Trafford to pursue a coaching career elsewhere.

He’s quoted saying, “I can only play for United. It’s black and white, and it’s not about money.

“I’ve been extremely lucky in that I have only ever worked at United, but I am still a young man in relative terms in management.

“I could have another 20 to 25 years in the game – and it might not all be spent at United.

“If I went elsewhere it would be strange, but I can see myself doing that.

“The association I have with United will always be special – if I have to do it I’ll do it, but how it will feel I don’t know.”

Giggs added: “I have to take the emotional factor into consideration when we play Hull – but I also want to win the game.

“I’m the manager now, as well as a player, and want to do what is best to win the game.

“If there is no room for me in the starting line-up or the bench, then I won’t do it.

“Of course, the perfect scenario would be me coming on and scoring – the winner hopefully – and everyone would be happy.

“But it doesn’t always work like that so we’ll have to wait and see.”

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's appalling that he asked for more width when it was clear that crossing wasn't working in the slightest. Down right Moyes like.
When 10 men are camped in their own half the vast majority of teams will try to stretch the play and go on the outside - just look at Barcelona in midweek.

Name Changed

weso26
We were already playing on the outside and putting in useless cross after useless cross. It clearly wasn't working. Something different was needed, not more crosses.

Sam

Those quotes sound very much like this will be the last of Giggs the player :(

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I hope he stays and takes on a coaching role unde LVG. It would be a great chance to learn a whole new set of methods and ideas and then over time he could take what he learned under SAF and what he picked up from LVG and mix it with his own ideas. It would end up providing a great level of experiences.
but it looks like van Gaal has his own team...and Giggs would only be 'accommodated'. I think it will do Giggs good to seek experience elsewhere...a smaller club... Championship level. He will learn a lot and then...who knows.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
but it looks like van Gaal has his own team...and Giggs would only be 'accommodated'. I think it will do Giggs good to seek experience elsewhere...a smaller club... Championship level. He will learn a lot and then...who knows.
I would take "being accomodated" by LVG over managing a championship level side. The experience gained even by being on the fringes would be worth it and he would only need a season or two to pick up what he needs.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hard to blame him really, he was sort of 'brought up' in such tactical manner so of course he'll follow it. That's why, for me, he would have to get some experience 'outside' first before getting the post here, having said that, I'd welcome him with arms wide open even after those years as LVG's assistant.

Maybe at last some people who were so stubborn with Moyes being shit and all that ( yes, he was shit, but some were going overboard ), our squad being champions 11 points off and wah wah wah, will notice that it wasn't all down to Moyes. What makes me laugh is that those gutless cnuts didn't even have the bottle to win last games in order to show everybody that Moyes indeed was terrible. They are just that bad this season. Looked like a bunch of random clowns today.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I would take "being accomodated" by LVG over managing a championship level side. The experience gained even by being on the fringes would be worth it and he would only need a season or two to pick up what he needs.
fair point. But he may get hands on experience at a smaller club. Depends on what he wants. To learn from Fergie and van Gaal...what more could you ask for?

Kakeru

Except that I don't believe he would find that contact with different (continental) approaches if he moves outside of United while LVG would already be there to bring his science from his time working for 4 different clubs, especially 3 big clubs. Being accommodated to work as LVG's understudy would be miles better than going elsewhere too soon.

I wish I knew why, but there has to be a reason why none of Fergie's pupils ever truly succeeded as managers so far while a number of Van Gaal's pupils already won something somewhere.

bobbyf

He's deluded about the quality of a lot of his team mates, that much is certain.

The difference between Norwich and today is that today we faced a team who wanted to win and put everything into winning. Norwich turned up expecting nothing from the game, so the result is irrelevant.

Still can't believe he set us up for wing play with only Hernandez in the box as well. When you play Carrick and Fletcher in midfield you know that neither will get anywhere near the penalty area, so unless you have an Andy Carroll up front, relying on crosses is just hopelessly stupid.
You're being a bit harsh on him, considering the players know Giggs isn't gonna be the permanent manager and some will be out the door whatever happens, so what did you expect from them? There isn't much to motivate them and he is also missing someone like Muelensteen to work on tactics.

It's wrong I know, but some players are just going though the motions. Isn't it also a bit late to change the way we've essentially been playing (albeit ineffectively) all season? Why would Giggs risk experimenting and it going horribly wrong? That would reflect badly on his time in charge when the season is over anyway.

Lance Uppercut

The players should be fully aware that they are playing for their futures.

Adebesi

I really thought the lift of changing the manager was going to see us finish the season strongly. Whether Giggs was a good manager or not, I just thought the quality of the players would be enough. So naive, and so disappointing.

pascell

The feel good factor of bringing Giggs in as manager was only gonna last the first game and today it ended. For starters the crowd just weren't up for it like they were last week and I was one of them. I hope everyone who said Giggs should be our full time manager next season has changed their mind, simply because he'd have to tinker with the squad and tactics finding the best fit next season too, even then they might not work. It's a huge gamble on our part as for the next few years we need stability, after last summer and poor results accumulating over the season we just need to become solid again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As commentator on my stream said, few pals running club this big ain't gonna work. I don't judge him by today's performance or result, that would be stupid, but I don't think he should be our manager simply because he is too close with most of the players. Playing Vidic and Rio two games in a row, or leaving Carrick and Fletcher on the pitch for 90 minutes today simply shows that he has too much respect for senior players, and that's the last thing we need.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So we are going to judge a manager after 2 games nowadays eh?