Giggs as the Manager

Blasphemy

I'm kind of glad that we can burst the Giggs for manager bubble in a fairly meaningless game. Better to end that nonsense now and pay a very small price than pace a huge price by giving such an inexperienced guy free reign to rebuild the side for next season.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Giggs made some mistakes but it's hard as a interim manager to make difference in such a short time. He isn't ready to be a manager just yet, I think he needs to detach himself from the dressing room a bit, Rio and Vidic as a partnership doesn't work anymore.

Ash_G

Didn't really see the logic in his subs today. Our delivery was poor all game so to take off the wide players, add more strikers who were going to just go in to a packed box and then have no one able to put in a good ball didn't make too much sense. I think we needed to try a different approach and get players like Januzaj/RVP around mata and get them linking up. That may have dragged Sunderlands players out of position and opened things up for others.

But tbf that's been an issue of ours for ages so didn't expect him to come in and completely change that. You can't really read much in to it as he's only had two games and no one knows how the squad is really feeling (given there's nothing to play for and the W.C coming up) but I do think we need someone completely fresh. Moyes obviously just seemed to lack ideas but I think Giggs, understandably will stick to the principles that he's grown up with, which as he has described himself is quick play using width, which is absolutely fine, if you have the players for it, just how a more possession based game is fine if you have the players for it.

We don't have the players for a wide game, not in the sense that they're performing for us. We're not really cut out for a slower game but I think we have more players of quality atm to pull that off than the former. For giggs and the class of 92 etc though that might be hard to accept as its so ingrained in them and for Giggs/Scholes most these guys are/were team mates until recently and that could easily make them more blind to their faults. Certainly when you listen to G.Nev for example it doesn't sound like he thinks there's an issue with united playing wide right now despite how poor the wide players have been for a few seasons.

As I said you can't read heavily in to it as there's a lot of factors at work here. I'd love Giggs to be manager one day but I do think it would be good to have someone fresh come in. I'd hope they keep Giggs/Scholes involved and that they have big roles to play in the coaching set up but I think someone with experience and a different outlook would be really good for us as there's clear issues in how we're playing and how we have been playing. We won the league last season and that shows that the squad is not that bad but there were certainly issues last year that have been building for a while and been more exploited without Fergie's brilliance and I think with that in mind that it's a bit too soon for Giggs to take over. One day though it would be great to see.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Giggs role in the future van Gaal administration just got smaller. tbf this match just highlighted the players that should not be here next season.

Carrick and Fletcher for starters.

Hernandez..possibly Nani.

Not sure if van Gaal will keep Rio and Evra or Young.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He played all the geriatrics. All his long time buddies. It didn't work and highlighted how he is making management decisions for the wrong reasons. Why on earth play Vidic? He has handed in his notice. Smalling should be blooded as we plan for the future. Giggs obviously really wanted to win the match and thought that group of players was the best way to do that. I disagree.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
What a bunch of spastics.

24 hours ago Giggs was the saviour and now he is in over his head.

Look at the bigger context. We have nothing to play for, and the season was buggered up long before he took charge.

He is doing a fine job a caretaker. I hope he continues to develop and learn from the new manager. It'd be a shame to see the entire class of 92 up and leave...

Blasphemy

He played all the geriatrics. All his long time buddies. It didn't work and highlighted how he is making management decisions for the wrong reasons. Why on earth play Vidic? He has handed in his notice. Smalling should be blooded as we plan for the future. Giggs obviously really wanted to win the match and thought that group of players was the best way to do that. I disagree.
He's essentially just picked his mates as much as possible in both games. No chance he should be rebuilding the squad, the talk of giving Rio and Evra new deals is very scary.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well that should stop the Giggs / British manager love-in at least, terrible Moyes type substitutions today. Giggs is a legend but no surprise that once he comes up against a decent foreign manager who knows a thing or two about tactics, Giggs looks out of his depth. Do some coaching for a few years first Giggsy and then we'll see.

The Red Thinker

Giggs role in the future van Gaal administration just got smaller. tbf this match just highlighted the players that should not be here next season.

Carrick and Fletcher for starters.

Hernandez..possibly Nani.

Not sure if van Gaal will keep Rio and Evra or Young.
I wouldn't mind keeping them on as squad players to be honest. They can't be in the first team that's for sure. Maybe Carrick has a case there but not Fletch. I love him to bits, but he's not been half the player he was since that horrible disease took him.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I sorry, but anybody who judges Giggs as manager after 2 matches at the end of such a terrible season is clearly living in cloud coockoo land. I'm not saying that Giggs should be the next manager, he probably lacks the experience for that, but to expect any manager to turn things around in just 2 matches is just ridiculous.

DevilRed

I think its a case of whether we can trust Ryan to rebuild a squad when he hasn't had any managing experience to speak of. A lot of changes need to be made this summer and big decisions need to be made on who to keep and who to sell.

Revan

Assumptionman
I sorry, but anybody who judges Giggs as manager after 2 matches at the end of such a terrible season is clearly living in cloud coockoo land. I'm not saying that Giggs should be the next manager, he probably lacks the experience for that, but to expect any manager to turn things around in just 2 matches is just ridiculous.
There is no 'probably' on that. He has managed 2 games in his entire career so of course he lacks the experience. The idea of giving him the job was madness regardless if we lost or we won those 4 matches.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
No knee-jerk here from me. Check my previous posts way back at the start of the season if you can!

Forget the ramblings about last season blah blah blah... The squad isnt good enough & the sooner folk cop on to that fact, the bloody better. The clearout is gonna happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner, because that squad looks like a bunch of spoiled silver-spooned lethargic brats, that Fergie did so well do handle up to last year!

There's no more excuses now - we've far too much deadwood. 5 new players will not get us challenging again. We need ateast 10 in & 10 out asap!

bobbyf

And that's why Giggsy is not ready to be the manager. You could say there's a bit of Moyes hangover not being able to kill teams off early but in the end, he needs them to get results when it matters and that's why they need a strong personality like Van Gaal in charge.

Yes, it was Sunderland. Our season is effectively over whereas they had a lot to play for. They're on form and had no fear cos of recent performances against top clubs. But still, no surprise they parked the bus and hit us on the break. Should have at least got a goal and a draw. And some players proving they should not be part of our future plans. Lots of work needed next season but not the disaster some will predict.

NJM78

Of course we cannot gauge Giggs managerial pedigree after two games but surely the man must hold his hand up today.

Team selection was bizarre after a morale boosting display last week. Substitutions were crazy too. RVP for Mata, keeping Young on for that length of time. Welbeck really, when you're replacing the guile of Mata you must surely bring on our best winger with RVP and Hernandez starved of supply not another forward.
Also moving Januzaj to the right after being quite effective on the left was odd as he had no further influence.

Giggs seemed a bit lost to me, needs a lot more experience before having a huge job like this one.

Indired

Starting Young ahead of Januzaj, taking Mata off when Young was so bad and playing Rio when Smalling is so much better is a mystery that only Ryan Giggs can solve for us. I can't blame him because everyone makes mistakes and that's the point, Giggs has a lot of mistakes to make and learn from before he even comes close to the experience required to manage a club like Manchester United.
Playing to the stands , which includes the players themselves.. Giggs knows what exactly the fans and players want, and that exactly could be the problem.. we might need someone who can really start from a fresh piece of white paper ...

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Giggs rapsheet
*wants to give Evra and Rio contracts
*starts Young in a game of football
*subs Mata off for Welbeck
I doubt we will make any progress with him at the helm. He's from the Gary Neville school of thought. We need to move away from this obsession with wingplay and 4-4-2. Giving Rio and Evra new contracts? No thanks. We have been playing geritrics in midfield for 4 years we can't let that extend to defense as well. If they want to continue playing they should join Sunderland or Newcastle like O'Shea, Brown, Richardson, Smith, Butt did. Our squad needs refreshing. feck loyalty, being classy and whatever else makes United unique. Time to be ruthless and rebuild.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
And that's why Giggsy is not ready to be the manager. You could say there's a bit of Moyes hangover not being able to kill teams off early but in the end, he needs them to get results when it matters and that's why they need a strong personality like Van Gaal in charge.

Yes, it was Sunderland. Our season is effectively over whereas they had a lot to play for. They're on form and had no fear cos of recent performances against top clubs. But still, no surprise they parked the bus and hit us on the break. Should have at least got a goal and a draw. And some players proving they should not be part of our future plans. Lots of work needed next season but not the disaster some will predict.
Lots of work needed before the pre-season Bobby... a helluva lot!

As far as i can see from all the leaks, the club feels we need a clear-out of many of Fergie's squad. There's too many to mention & i'm bored stating the obvious deadwood that need to be shipped or buried in the garden...

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Hasn't shown any ability to be a quality manager but we love him because he's a club legend. The notion that he could "be the next Pep" or that he could step right into the job is laughable. He's a nice man and a guy who commands a lot of respect but hasn't developed any ability to manage a football team. He sounds a bit overwhelmed by it all, in fact. He's also choosing people based on nothing at all, and subbing people on and off for no apparent reason.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Playing to the stands , which includes the players themselves.. Giggs knows what exactly the fans and players want, and that exactly could be the problem.. we might need someone who can really start from a fresh piece of white paper ...
As much as i hated Moyes in the end, thats exactly what he intended to do - start from scratch & get rid of the deadwood that was rotten away... Fergie was in agreement too from what i hear!

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
In hindsight, he shouldn't have taken the job albeit it's just a temporary one. Just stay on as a coach. Less risk of damaging his legendary reputation. Bryan Robson comes to mind (although he did start relatively successful).

Minimalist

What a bunch of spastics.

24 hours ago Giggs was the saviour and now he is in over his head.

Look at the bigger context. We have nothing to play for, and the season was buggered up long before he took charge.

He is doing a fine job a caretaker. I hope he continues to develop and learn from the new manager. It'd be a shame to see the entire class of 92 up and leave...
This is nonsense.

bobbyf

Lots of work needed before the pre-season Bobby... a helluva lot!

As far as i can see from all the leaks, the club feels we need a clear-out of many of Fergie's squad. There's too many to mention & i'm bored stating the obvious deadwood that need to be shipped or buried in the garden...
True there are changes needed. We needed some last summer too that failed to happen. But also too many in and out at once could be damaging. Players like Young, Cleverley and a few others definitely have to go. The ones that remain need a strong character from outside in charge.

Our team has been pretty low on confidence for a lot of this season and that has to be attributed to the clueless one and his tactics. He's the one who wanted to completely change what essentially needed tweaking. Whatever situation we were in last year, we've gone backwards. Today just proved why we need a new challenge under someone like VG plus the right signings to progress.

Amir

Starting Young ahead of Januzaj, taking Mata off when Young was so bad and playing Rio when Smalling is so much better is a mystery that only Ryan Giggs can solve for us. I can't blame him because everyone makes mistakes and that's the point, Giggs has a lot of mistakes to make and learn from before he even comes close to the experience required to manage a club like Manchester United.
It's not his fault that he was schooled by Alex Ferguson. He's made a lot of "Fergie decisions", which is not what we need right now.

Plugsy

I don't really see all the excitement. This is how we've been all year. A decent pep-talk and a cloud lifting was enough to get us by a poor Norwich City. But this is Moyes' way of doing things, it's how they've been conditioned and trained for 10 months, you can't do anything about that in the final couple of games, certainly Giggs can't as he's not really qualified to. This reprogramming is going to take a while and a manager who has time to work out his options and bring in players Nothing's really changed it's just an inevitable continuation as it was always really going to be.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Can we just confirm the lvg appointment now and stop this talk of giggsy getting in permanently? The last week has seen ridiculous premature talk about giggsy in the media from people like lindegard and gary neville.