Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Glad it's reviewing well, hardly surprising. Hurry up and arrive already!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Better sidequests than Witcher 3 is a huge claim. Can hardly imagine that to be true honestly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Better sidequests than Witcher 3 is a huge claim. Can hardly imagine that to be true honestly.
I suppose it can as it's all relative to time. Witcher 3 is now a 7 year old game. So someone should finally do it better with advancement in technology, resources etc

b82REZ

I don't think I'll be able to play this at launch and probably won't be able to properly get into it until Xmas.

Already getting fomo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I suppose it can as it's all relative to time. Witcher 3 is now a 7 year old game. So someone should finally do it better with advancement in technology, resources etc
Well, I hope it's true. I liked the side stuff in 2018 GoW, but it was nothing ground breaking. The main story and combat were the things that make it a classic.

What I hope from this type of game is a difficulty level that is nearly impossible to beat so I can smash some controllers :)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't think I'll be able to play this at launch and probably won't be able to properly get into it until Xmas.

Already getting fomo.
I'll PM you every hour with exactly how I'm getting on so you don't feel like you're missing out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Weird I haven’t spotted @Vidyoyo yet. Almost like he only comments on bad PlayStation things and ignores the good.

Ainu

Skill Up's review was glowing, to say the least. I'm considering doing a quick playthrough of the first one again, before getting this, although on the other hand that's just adding even more stuff to play on top of an already bottomless backlog. If everyone else would please stop doing anything for a couple of years, I might actually catch up, thanks.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Skill Up's review was glowing, to say the least. I'm considering doing a quick playthrough of the first one again, before getting this, although on the other hand that's just adding even more stuff to play on top of an already bottomless backlog. If everyone else would please stop doing anything for a couple of years, I might actually catch up, thanks.
How long do you reckon it would take to run through it? I stopped my 2nd play through a while back as I was in the hardest difficulty and it was hard as feck! Tempted to run through the story on a lighter difficulty...

evil_geko

First GoW was overrated beyond belief, I would guess this will be mega overrated too. But I guess people appreciate production quality over actual gameplay innovations these days.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
First GoW was overrated beyond belief, I would guess this will be mega overrated too. But I guess people appreciate production quality over actual gameplay innovations these days.
Which game do you consider to have gameplay innovation? Gaming has advanced to the point where people are interested in them for both gameplay and story / writing (it's not mere production value but good storytelling). And strategy, horror, sound and music and a whole host of things. It's actually a good thing that gaming has come a long way.

For me GoW is one of those rare games that combines both great writing / cinematic experience with strong gameplay.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not everything had to be innovative. It just needs to do what it does well and the first one was incredibly fun to play. Very smooth, responsive, satisfying, good story, amazing environments, etc..

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He also loved Forbidden West :nervous: I'm hoping this is more like the first on steroids rather than overcomplicating a winning formula like that did.

I replayed the first on hard mode earlier in the year and did all the valkyrie fights, it was still amazing.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He also loved Forbidden West :nervous: I'm hoping this is more like the first on steroids rather than overcomplicating a winning formula like that did.

I replayed the first on hard mode earlier in the year and did all the valkyrie fights, it was still amazing.
So did I. Just going to remind you you're in the minority there mate...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I have it preloaded for Wednesday now.

So glad I got a PS5 last month at last. I've just finished Last of Us Part 1 and now playing Resident Evil Village which should get me over the line until I'm ripping apart enemies with Kratos.

evil_geko

Not everything had to be innovative. It just needs to do what it does well and the first one was incredibly fun to play. Very smooth, responsive, satisfying, good story, amazing environments, etc..
It doesn't have to innovate per se, but at least be very involving and interesting, combat in GoW is decent but nothing special.

Ainu

That's true, it's one of the few times I disagreed with his verdict. He generally has a low tolerance for tired, formulaic open-world games, so it surprised me. That was really one open-world game too many for me, I'm fecking tired of those.

On this one, I'm just glad to see that most or all sources consider it a fantastic conclusion to this two-part story. A poor follow-up has the potential to ruin the previous game(s) - look at Mass Effect 3 - and likewise, a fantastic conclusion can elevate the significance of the first game. I'm glad this seems like the latter.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If its innovations in the actual combat, sure, but adding new gameplay elements isnt nessecaily a good thing, especially if its some boring bullshit or some cheap gimmick.

For example i am currently playing Ghosts of Tshushima. Who is fantastic by the way, but there is way too much filler content like "look for clues" or "pick up x amount of shit and talk to this NPC again". FFS i want to cut down some mongols, dont play medival Japanese detective

evil_geko

If its innovations in the actual combat, sure, but adding new gameplay elements isnt nessecaily a good thing, especially if its some boring bullshit or some cheap gimmick.

For example i am currently playing Ghosts of Tshushima. Who is fantastic by the way, but there is way too much filler content like "look for clues" or "pick up x amount of shit and talk to this NPC again". FFS i want to cut down some mongols, dont play medival Japanese detective
Yep, I meant mainly combat, active gameplay etc.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yep, I meant mainly combat, active gameplay etc.
Well, from what i understand there are some inovations here. I've heard several places that the enviroments play a much bigger role, positioning and parkouring is a also new and some reviews mentioned "combat puzzles" whatever that means.

3rd person action games are a tried and tested formula where most of them function similarly with normal/strong attacks, blocks, dodges, parries and ripostes etc. IMO what makes those games fun to play is good hitboxes, good animations and tight, responsive controls.

I'll again use Ghosts of Tshushima as en example. The swordfighting there is excellent. Really good. You also have stealth and ranged abilities that you can blend into the melee combat. At first its fine, but as you progress these stealth and ranged skills become more and more OP to the point where you can trivialize most encounters if you use these tricks. For example some of the beefier enemies can take 7-8 slashes with your sword and they hit hard as hell, but one smokebomb and you can stun a whole group and OHKO 3 of them with "assasin strike".

More abilities and more variety looks great at first, but imo they can actually end up detrimental to the overal experience.

AaronRedDevil

There’s no game that can possibly dethrone Metal Gear Solid 4 for me. That game did something for me that can never be replicated.