Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yep, I meant mainly combat, active gameplay etc.
You didn't say which game has innovative combat? I mean there are a few games/movies/songs that are truly unique or innovative. That doesn't mean one that excels at everything it does do, isn't brilliant. Just doesn't seem to be your cup of tea

amolbhatia50k

It's a fun open world game. Very similar to the first oje, which was also good.
I liked the first one. Wouldn't say it was absolutely one of the greatest games or anything but a lot of fun, wonderful to look at and engaging enough which is my expectation from this.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I liked the first one. Wouldn't say it was absolutely one of the greatest games or anything but a lot of fun, wonderful to look at and engaging enough which is my expectation from this.
Yeah, it's just more, looking slightly better and with a few new bells and whistles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If its innovations in the actual combat, sure, but adding new gameplay elements isnt nessecaily a good thing, especially if its some boring bullshit or some cheap gimmick.

For example i am currently playing Ghosts of Tshushima. Who is fantastic by the way, but there is way too much filler content like "look for clues" or "pick up x amount of shit and talk to this NPC again". FFS i want to cut down some mongols, dont play medival Japanese detective
I gave up on GoT twice then the 3rd time I just ignore the 29483 fox dens, Haiku's and other filler crap and had a great time.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I gave up on GoT twice then the 3rd time I just ignore the 29483 fox dens, Haiku's and other filler crap and had a great time.
Yeah exact same as me. Best way to play it. Ignore all the Ubisoft-y crap and just enjoy the world and amazing combat.

Siorac

If its innovations in the actual combat, sure, but adding new gameplay elements isnt nessecaily a good thing, especially if its some boring bullshit or some cheap gimmick.

For example i am currently playing Ghosts of Tshushima. Who is fantastic by the way, but there is way too much filler content like "look for clues" or "pick up x amount of shit and talk to this NPC again". FFS i want to cut down some mongols, dont play medival Japanese detective
I'm also playing Ghost of Tshushima and the combat is so bloody satisfying but sometimes it feels like the game wants to prevent me from enjoying even more of it. I kind of want a mode where I just have to cut down wave after wave of Mongol hordes.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm also playing Ghost of Tshushima and the combat is so bloody satisfying but sometimes it feels like the game wants to prevent me from enjoying even more of it. I kind of want a mode where I just have to cut down wave after wave of Mongol hordes.
Legends is close?

evil_geko

IGN Korea wasn't impressed by shiny graphics and high production values and basically said what I expected, game has same gameplay and feels like a DLC to the first one. Maybe their 6/10 was too harsh but this game having same meta score while bringing almost nothing new to the table gameplay wise is pretty funny. Just hype, consume and go to the next one.

PlayStation exclusives went from such a diverse genre of games to basically only AAA 3rd person action-adventure cinematic movie games with small RPG elements, which started from PS3.

Ainu

There’s no game that can possibly dethrone Metal Gear Solid 4 for me. That game did something for me that can never be replicated.
In what way? In terms of storytelling I found all three preceding games (far) superior and in terms of gameplay, MGS 5 is miles ahead. MGS 4 was Kojima at peak self-indulgence and that's decidedly a bad thing. Not even the nostalgia trip through Shadow Moses and that cool one-on-one fight sequence could save that mess of a game.

On a scale of 1 to Kojima, it even makes Death Stranding look tame.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
IGN Korea wasn't impressed by shiny graphics and high production values and basically said what I expected, game has same gameplay and feels like a DLC to the first one. Maybe their 6/10 was too harsh but this game having same meta score while bringing almost nothing new to the table gameplay wise is pretty funny. Just hype, consume and go to the next one.

PlayStation exclusives went from such a diverse genre of games to basically only AAA 3rd person action-adventure cinematic movie games with small RPG elements, which started from PS3.
Glad you finally found a review to fit your needs. Happy for ya.

evil_geko

Glad you finally found a review to fit your needs. Happy for ya.
It doesn't fit anything, but confirms the general bias. At the end of the day, who cares, it's all numbers only, I just don't like how people eat up the hype and blindly consume based on it only. Which makes devs lazier.

Irwin99

Same, it made me fall asleep.
:lol: yeah that personally was by far my least favourite MGS game and I love the series. It's like when a band decides to become a stadium rock outfit and do twenty hour guitar solos, Kojima was just like 'feck it, i'm throwing all self-restraint out the window'. I do kinda understand why people like it for that though.

AaronRedDevil

In what way? In terms of storytelling I found all three preceding games (far) superior and in terms of gameplay, MGS 5 is miles ahead. MGS 4 was Kojima at peak self-indulgence and that's decidedly a bad thing. Not even the nostalgia trip through Shadow Moses and that cool one-on-one fight sequence could save that mess of a game.

On a scale of 1 to Kojima, it even makes Death Stranding look tame.
For me personally. It was everything I loved about the MGS series. Yeah they cutscenes were taking the piss at the start. But lots of them were epic. Great iconic opening. The boss battles were good tbh. 5 was everything MGS isn't. Great gameplay sure. But lacked everything else. 4 was a perfect conclusion. Plus what I mean in terms of it being hard to beat just for me. That Shadow moses moment, ripped a childhood memory i hadn't thought of since it came out and made me emotional. Even better that I remembered every square inch after 8 years. MGS made me fall in love with gaming. Game was made for me. In saying that. This God of War could become the closest if it is as good as its being made out to be. Even big talk saying it has better side missions than W3.

Ainu

For me personally. It was everything I loved about the MGS series. Yeah they cutscenes were taking the piss at the start. But lots of them were epic. Great iconic opening. The boss battles were good tbh. 5 was everything MGS isn't. Great gameplay sure. But lacked everything else. 4 was a perfect conclusion. Plus what I mean in terms of it being hard to beat just for me. That Shadow moses moment, ripped a childhood memory i hadn't thought of since it came out and made me emotional. Even better that I remembered every square inch after 8 years. MGS made me fall in love with gaming. Game was made for me. In saying that. This God of War could become the closest if it is as good as its being made out to be. Even big talk saying it has better side missions than W3.
I fully get the MGS nostalgia. I must've played through that game a couple dozen times back in the day. I knew every line of dialogue, every item location and hearing stuff like The Best Is Yet To Come still gives me goosebumps.

None of that changes my perception of MGS 4 though. Like I said, that Shadow Moses segment couldn't change it. It's a nice moment in the game, but it's only a small part of the game. The whole ending is just so hilariously shite and goes a long way to souring everything else in the game. I still can't get over that fecking wedding with a joke character, one of the worst moments in video game history for me. :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
It doesn't fit anything, but confirms the general bias. At the end of the day, who cares, it's all numbers only, I just don't like how people eat up the hype and blindly consume based on it only. Which makes devs lazier.
The hype is coming from the masterful 2018 entry, not just blind hype. More of the same sometimes isn't a bad thing anyway once they make some key improvements and the game seems bigger in almost every way and whilst losing no substance in the story.

amolbhatia50k

Well playstation exclusives are basically the very best put there so there's that.

evil_geko

The hype is coming from the masterful 2018 entry, not just blind hype. More of the same sometimes isn't a bad thing anyway once they make some key improvements and the game seems bigger in almost every way and whilst losing no substance in the story.
Yeah, "blindly" was maybe a bit much, but still, mostly hype sells games these days. Also about 2018 being "masterful", I enjoyed the game but agree to disagree on that.

"Losing no substance in story" this is the thing, people are happy to overlook stale gameplay when you slap a fancy story on it. I will always enjoy original GoW trilogy much more, when gameplay still mattered more.

I will enjoy this game too, I just don't like the direction where AAA games are going. At least there is still Indie scene where they are not afraid to try new things.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Personally for me, i'd be pretty happy with a 'more of the same' game. I'm sure there is some improvments, but is a huge DLC really an issue? not for me.

It's pretty difficult to improve massively on what was already a mega game. Just new stories/levels and different weapons/armour and you're good to go. Why does it need to be so significantly advanced? they haven't exactly had 5 years to do it either.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, "blindly" was maybe a bit much, but still, mostly hype sells games these days. Also about 2018 being "masterful", I enjoyed the game but agree to disagree on that.

"Losing no substance in story" this is the thing, people are happy to overlook stale gameplay when you slap a fancy story on it. I will always enjoy original GoW trilogy much more, when gameplay still mattered more.

I will enjoy this game too, I just don't like the direction where AAA games are going. At least there is still Indie scene where they are not afraid to try new things.
The combat of GoW 2018 was excellent.

I think I've asked your twice before but which games do you consider to have innovative combat? Or like? Do those include games which have good writing/ a story or maybe its just not your thing?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I'm also against the way AAA games are going but more in terms of the micro-transactions, bundles, special editions, no effort being made on them, etc..

I thought the first GOW was fantastic, and it's not like other AAA games where they churn them out every year. This is 4 years in the making and by all accounts they've fleshed out the world with interesting things and areas. Even if it's more of the same, it's better than most games out there. It feels like a game made with love.

Bosws87

Can always trust Sony to bring out top class exclusive games, thank god as this year the consoles have been dire.

Will be bought day one.

Love GOW, still prefer the original style top down hack n slash, but they took a risk changed up the series and have been rewarded so can't knock them, it's very easy to just release sequel after sequel and never drift away from the core experience, i like it when something new is tried.

Siorac

It's odd that so many people are defending (or writing off) a game that isn't even out yet.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
GOW had a one-shot camera never seen in video games, yet wasn't innovative...yeh that makes sense.

Moby

Dick
As in they clearly care about it and the world building. Hence why they took their time with it and don't churn new versions out every year.
It's why people are a bit miffed about it that they took five years and seem to have dished out something identical to what people already played in 2018. The amount of time and money being spent in producing something should be justified by creating at least a new experience as compared to the previous one. (at least based on what's being talked about it)

It's the same reason movie fans despise MCU fans for happily guzzling down the same copy pasted version of the same thing over and over again and no one demanding any creativity or diversity in the new stuff coming out.

Irwin99

Oww, this thread is having polite disagreements. Let's hope it doesn't descend into mindless violence anytime soon :D

I get the feeling if you go into this expecting something era-defining or a game changer due to the hype you're probably going to be a bit disappointed. The reality is it will probably be a really really good 8 or 9 out of 10 game and that's the best way to approach it. Personally, i'm quite looking forward to it (Callisto Protocol is the game i'm really curious about though).

The quotes about the side quests are very encouraging I have to say.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's why people are a bit miffed about it that they took five years and seem to have dished out something identical to what people already played in 2018. The amount of time and money being spent in producing something should be justified by creating at least a new experience as compared to the previous one. (at least based on what's being talked about it)

It's the same reason movie fans despise MCU fans for happily guzzling down the same copy pasted version of the same thing over and over again and no one demanding any creativity or diversity in the new stuff coming out.
Fair enough! I think when a game is this good it can justify a 'copy paste' but from the reviews it seems like they've still added a lot. I'm not really sure how they could improve the core gameplay, I guess we'll have to see how it plays.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Surely, covid-19 is a factor here too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Why do sequels have to reinvent the wheel?

If people loved the first one then what’s wrong with making a follow up that uses the same base formula and adds more elements to it? I don’t understand why that’s a bad thing. It sounds great to me.

Shark

@NotShark

If people loved the first one then what’s wrong with making a follow up that uses the same base formula and adds more elements to it? I don’t understand why that’s a bad thing. It sounds great to me.
My exact thoughts. Getting near the end of GOW 2018 for the second time and I want more of this shit. Not reinvention.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Yep. According to reviews they've fixed up criticisms of the first (lack of enemy variety, not many bosses) and added a plethora of options to tailor the game to how you want to play it.

Personally I'm not going to pay much attention to a reviewer who has given it a lower score than they did to Just Dance 2022.

The last God of War was released four years ago - not five - and not only the pandemic but Christopher Judge's health problems (back surgery, hips replaced and knee surgery) had an impact too.

b82REZ

Will you feel the same if Silksong is much of the same in a slightly different setting with small tweaks to the combat and gameplay?

As many have pointed out, sequels don't need to reinvent the wheel. They just have to continue doing what made the original so popular and maybe add and remove things here and there.

@Massive Spanner compared it to HFW, which tried to add much more content and combat abilities and for many that took away from what made the original so fun.

Devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't. But the most lazy and tedious argument you see on here is, "hurr durr just like Marvel..."