Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

b82REZ

The combat of GoW 2018 was excellent.

I think I've asked your twice before but which games do you consider to have innovative combat? Or like? Do those include games which have good writing/ a story or maybe its just not your thing?
That poster has a history of ignoring questions on their very questionable opinions.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love Redcafe.... Game ain't even out yet and it's kicking off.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I think I've asked your twice before but which games do you consider to have innovative combat? Or like? Do those include games which have good writing/ a story or maybe its just not your thing?
SIFU has great combat. Totally different league than any triple A game. DMC's combat is also fantastic. Having said that, @evil_geko is insanely harsh on these 2 games. I'm also not a huge fan of the interactive movie direction games have taken, but God of War has excellent combat mechanics to go with all the bells and whistles.

Also, as a similarly bad ass dad myself, I can relate to Kratos.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Yeah obviously. Not sure if they have the same amount of resources anyway though.
So you only expect "innovation" when it's a AAA studio or is it exclusive to Sony's first party studios?

Even way it's such a reductive thing to judge a game on. I struggle to think of many sequels that tried to completely reinvent the core gameplay that made it popular.

Moby

Dick
So you only expect "innovation" when it's a AAA studio or is it exclusive to Sony's first party studios?

Even way it's such a reductive thing to judge a game on. I struggle to think of many sequels that tried to completely reinvent the core gameplay that made it popular.
Yeah if a team with massive resources has taken years to develop something it should be fair to not expect things being copy pasted. As a Dev it's a dream job to have obviously.

b82REZ

Yeah if a team with massive resources has taken years to develop something it should be fair to not expect things being copy pasted. As a Dev it's a dream job to have obviously.
So your issue seems more to do with job envy rather than an actual criticism of the game or its gameplay.

Having only seen a smattering of comments from reviewers they seem to have done the opposite of copy and pasting from the original. More enemy variety, locations, puzzles added. What were you expecting?

Also has it really been that long? 4 years in total, more like 3 when you factor COVID into the timescale.

b82REZ

I can't envy something I do. :lol:
Well surely you'd be more sympathetic of at least the time issues that you've used as a stick to beat them with, let alone the attempts to rectify the complaints of the original?

Your complaints come across as incredibly arbitrary and I have a feeling the game could come with a voucher for a free blowjob and you'd still complain.

evil_geko

Just evil Xboxer @evil_geko causing havoc.
I never even physically touched any Xbox console in my life. :wenger:

Geko complaining about a game lacking innovation after praising cyberpunk 2077 is a good one.
I did not "praise" Cyberpunk 2077, I said people were just jumping on hate train and ignoring good sides about the game that I really enjoyed because I wasn't hyped about it in the first place. Just because I wasn't in the hate mob speaking trash about it, doesn't automatically mean I thought it was GOTY or anything. And here we are again in the hype talk, hype is bad on both sides, when people trash the game because of it, or overpraise it.

I can't tell from the top of my head, and I don't expect "reinvention of the wheel" or anything, just strong improvements. I found GoW 2018 combat fun but repetitive after a while. Also I do enjoy story in games of course.

Last edited:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
As a huge fan of the original trilogy. I just want them to up the scale of enemies and set pieces. As great as this new Kratos and God of War was, it was a bit... lacking on the set piece events in my opinion.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't wait :drool: as pumped as I was, I thought the hype was going to be impossible to match but it looks as if theyve done it. Will have to wait til next weekend to play it unfortunately

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
As a huge fan of the original trilogy. I just want them to up the scale of enemies and set pieces. As great as this new Kratos and God of War was, it was a bit... lacking on the set piece events in my opinion.
Mother fecker fought a dragon on an ice mountain in the first one!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Does the annoying kid become less annoying in this? Fine in cutscenes and shit, but annoying as hell as a companion.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I did not "praise" Cyberpunk 2077, I said people were just jumping on hate train and ignoring good sides about the game that I really enjoyed because I wasn't hyped about it in the first place. Just because I wasn't in the hate mob speaking trash about it, doesn't automatically mean I thought it was GOTY or anything. And here we are again in the hype talk, hype is bad on both sides, when people trash the game because of it, or overpraise it.
So really what you mean here by “hype” is just other people’s opinions you don’t agree with. Because it’s not that reviews count as hype - the South Korea one you agreed with was good - it’s just those ones that were too negative or positive. Cool.

RedDevilRoshi

If it really does have better side quests than The Witcher 3 then the main story is going to take forever for me to complete as no doubt I’ll end up getting sidetracked with them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
SIFU has great combat. Totally different league than any triple A game. DMC's combat is also fantastic. Having said that, @evil_geko is insanely harsh on these 2 games. I'm also not a huge fan of the interactive movie direction games have taken, but God of War has excellent combat mechanics to go with all the bells and whistles.

Also, as a similarly bad ass dad myself, I can relate to Kratos.
I mean that's the thing. Few games like Sekiro (brilliant) and Sifu (not played it) innovate so much in combat because that's mostly what they're about. And I adore Sekiro. A game like GoW (or Witcher, Cyberpunk etc) excels at many things on the other hand and while maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, it's silly to expect it rewrite the script when it comes to combat.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Seriously thinking about calling in sick on Wednesday
If been saving my two remaining days of annual leave to chill in my new house when I’ve finished everything.

I think I should be done by Monday so Wednesday and Thursday next week are looking good!

Curtains drawn, phone off or on silent … the rest takes care of itself.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I'm also against the way AAA games are going but more in terms of the micro-transactions, bundles, special editions, no effort being made on them, etc..

I thought the first GOW was fantastic, and it's not like other AAA games where they churn them out every year. This is 4 years in the making and by all accounts they've fleshed out the world with interesting things and areas. Even if it's more of the same, it's better than most games out there. It feels like a game made with love.
Exactly. EA and Activision shamelessly shit out FIFA and CoD on a yearly basis. FIFA 23 on Switch is litteraly the same game as 22, 21, 20 and 19, only with an updated roster, which is both depressing and hilarious

Just because its a sequel does not mean its some sort of money grabbing scheme

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Exactly. EA and Activision shamelessly shit out FIFA and CoD on a yearly basis. FIFA 23 on Switch is litteraly the same game as 22, 21, 20 and 19, only with an updated roster, which is both depressing and hilarious

Just because its a sequel does not mean its some sort of money grabbing scheme
CoD is nothing like FIFA, to be fair. Activision have multiple game studios working across each game for 3-4 years, that's how they release them yearly. FIFA is just the same thing every year with a few bits and bobs added on.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
CoD is nothing like FIFA, to be fair. Activision have multiple game studios working across each game for 3-4 years, that's how they release them yearly. FIFA is just the same thing every year with a few bits and bobs added on.
Fair enough, and to be honest i havent bought or played a CoD in a long time, i just observed they get released on a yearly basis it seems. Maybe Overwatch 2 or Diablo Eternal(?) would be a better example of a cynical cash grab

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Fair enough, and to be honest i havent bought or played a CoD in a long time, i just observed they get released on a yearly basis it seems. Maybe Overwatch 2 or Diablo Eternal(?) would be a better example of a cynical cash grab
Oh yeah Activision are total cnuts and some of the CoD games have been crap (MWII is good, though). EA with FIFA are a whole other level though

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So lame, XQC is playing this on stream already? avoid spoilers :|