g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Hannibal Mejbri image 46

Hannibal Mejbri Tunisia flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This will break @Adnan
I'm actually looking forward to seeing him play for Sevilla. It's always sad to see young talented players leave but I think it's the correct move for him to go and start playing regular football. I was also first to point out the potential of Kobbie Mainoo on here when he was 16, after a thrashing by Liverpool, and most thought we had no talent in the youth after the drubbing in that particular game. So I'm looking forward to seeing Mainoo develop here and I'll keep a close eye on Hannibal's progress in Seville.

And I encourage people to carry on giving their opinions on youth players, even if met with hostility from posters who moan about overhyping young players. Because the posters who attempt to provide foresight are much better football posters than the ones who cry and moan with supposed hindsight to back up their opinions.

redcucumber

I'm actually looking forward to seeing him play for Sevilla. It's always sad to see young talented players leave but I think it's the correct move for him to go and start playing regular football. I was also first to point out the potential of Kobbie Mainoo on here when he was 16, after a thrashing by Liverpool, and most thought we had no talent in the youth after the drubbing in that particular game. So I'm looking forward to seeing Mainoo develop here and I'll keep a close eye on Hannibal's progress in Seville.

And I encourage people to carry on giving their opinions on youth players, even if met with hostility from posters who moan about overhyping young players. Because the posters who attempt to provide foresight are much better football posters than the ones who cry and moan with supposed hindsight to back up their opinions.
It's really odd that people genuinely come across as gleeful when a prospect from the academy doesn't immediately make it in the first team. Who gives a feck if people get slightly ahead of themselves on a football forum about an academy player. We've not had much to be hopeful about as United fans - get to feck trying to quell excitement over youth players. Also, we're Man United. It's stand to reason that a lot of the players in our academies might be among the best in class. We've consistently produced players that play at the highest level (not always for United, but still in or around the top flight).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's really odd that people genuinely come across as gleeful when a prospect from the academy doesn't immediately make it in the first team. Who gives a feck if people get slightly ahead of themselves on a football forum about an academy player. We've not had much to be hopeful about as United fans - get to feck trying to quell excitement over youth players. Also, we're Man United. It's stand to reason that a lot of the players in our academies might be among the best in class. We've consistently produced players that play at the highest level (not always for United, but still in or around the top flight).
It's pretty pathetic, there's one or two posters doing it with Mainoo despite the fact he's been fantastic since making the step up. There's a lot of ego in football discussion, people will make an opinion on a player and be proven wrong but instead of just accepting they were wrong or even changing their opinion, which I do all the fecking time and you are actually allowed to do, they'll do anything to feed into their narrative. I'm guilty of it myself with my opinions on players like Lindelof and McTominay, there's just certain things I know I'm incapable of being objective on due to a unconscious, or maybe conscious, bias on players / managers and the way they go about their football.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Well said.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What's even worse is that the criticism comes from posters who contribute very little when it comes applying foresight and use hindsight to tell us about the numerous youth players that have failed to make the grade in the past. You can absolutely be wrong on the potential of a young player, but that doesn't mean that you will be wrong on the next young hopeful coming through.

I'd much rather read posts about a young players potential in their respective position, than read some of the absolute shite that is posted by unhinged posters. I've been reading about how posters have overhyped certain youth players for years on here, but that doesn't deter me from posting my thoughts on Kobbie Mainoo or another young hopeful. And I don't think it should deter anyone else either, because the ones complaining are the same posters who hardly contribute when it comes to applying a bit of foresight.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Yeah I think it will be good for his development. Shame I thought he’d shown enough to get more time. I would have given him McTominays spot in the 3. But I don’t think ETH really fancies him as a player.
Hope we do put a buy back and a % of next sale clause in because I suspect we will sell at about 10m

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think like pereira he could be a really good, even a top player in his later 20s. The talent is there. We’ve all seen it. It’s just a very hard position to make your own at such a young age and it’s an area you need to be almost perfect. Mainoo is an anomaly in this regard. He plays with a maturity and technical level beyond his years. Sometimes cool heads like this come around at a young age but it’s the exception to the rule. Most players learn and become ice cold on the ball under pressure through making mistakes. You can’t make too many here so you need to be almost perfectly formed coning out of the academy or else it’s loans and then it’s a Russian roulette who thrives and who falls away. We need to get better at selling players like Hannibal for FFP. If we can loan him and does well surely we could get 20 million for him off someone in the summer?

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah I think it will be good for his development. Shame I thought he’d shown enough to get more time. I would have given him McTominays spot in the 3. But I don’t think ETH really fancies him as a player.
Hope we do put a buy back and a % of next sale clause in because I suspect we will sell at about 10m
I think the issue was that he fell into the developmental prospect category and we've got Bruno and Mount in the position he was being played in. I think Mount is the best fit for the role as the most advanced midfielder, if I'm to go off his form at Chelsea under Tuchel.

Erik ten Hag needs experience in that role and it would be asking a bit too much to develop several academy players at once. I think the difference between Hannibal and McTominay as advanced midfielders is that McTominay has developed into a box crasher who can score goals. And the way we have been playing in a direct fashion, it suits a box crasher like McTominay, rather than Hannibal who hasn't developed that side of his game and is more of a playmaker who likes to drop deeper to get on the ball and influence the play. So I think a loan move to Sevilla is potentially very good, because he needs consistent game time, and that's what he hasn't got. Sevilla aren't doing well at all though, and only recently sacked their coach and appointed Quique Sanches Flores as the replacement about 3 weeks ago. So it'll be interesting to see how things pan out for Hannibal at Sevilla.

Glorio

Well said Sir!

It's amazing how many have rushed on here to dump on the kid just because they watched a handful of Birmingham games. I know youth football doesn't always translate, but to call him a passion merchant just smacks of ignorance.

I do hope he goes on loan for his sake and gets a chance to mature in a ball playing side, as I actually feel Birmingham, as tragic as their playing style was, was a step in the right direction.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think the issue was that he fell into the developmental prospect category and we've got Bruno and Mount in the position he was being played in. I think Mount is the best fit for the role as the most advanced midfielder, if I'm to go off his form at Chelsea under Tuchel.

Erik ten Hag needs experience in that role and it would be asking a bit too much to develop several academy players at once. I think the difference between Hannibal and McTominay as advanced midfielders is that McTominay has developed into a box crasher who can score goals. And the way we have been playing in a direct fashion, it suits a box crasher like McTominay, rather than Hannibal who hasn't developed that side of his game and is more of a playmaker who likes to drop deeper to get on the ball and influence the play. So I think a loan move to Sevilla is potentially very good, because he needs consistent game time, and that's what he hasn't got. Sevilla aren't doing well at all though, and only recently sacked their coach and appointed Quique Sanches Flores as the replacement about 3 weeks ago. So it'll be interesting to see how things pan out for Hannibal at Sevilla.
I do think we missed a bit of a trick not trying Hannibal as an 8, I've always felt he's had a skillset that would lend itself very well to that role.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well said Sir!

It's amazing how many have rushed on here to dump on the kid just because they watched a handful of Birmingham games. I know youth football doesn't always translate, but to call him a passion merchant just smacks of ignorance.

I do hope he goes on loan for his sake and gets a chance to mature in a ball playing side, as I actually feel Birmingham, as tragic as their playing style was, was a step in the right direction.
The frustrating thing for me is that he was never that sort of player, but has developed that side off his game (out of possession) where it now seems to be overshadowing his strong attributes on the ball. If I was in a position to give him some advice, that advice would be to let his ball ability overshadow his out of possession work. Because Hannibal was always a creative midfield player who thrived on the ball.

Gandalf

I do think we missed a bit of a trick not trying Hannibal as an 8, I've always felt he's had a skillset that would lend itself very well to that role.
Could not agree more. He has that engine you need as an 8 along with that bite in his game to cover the defensive side combined with the vision to create from a deeper role. It has been so frustrating watching posters bash him after he gets brought on for a few minutes stuck out on the wing or somewhere else where he is not really suited.

Bertie Wooster

Could not agree more. He has that engine you need as an 8 along with that bite in his game to cover the defensive side combined with the vision to create from a deeper role. It has been so frustrating watching posters bash him after he gets brought on for a few minutes stuck out on the wing or somewhere else where he is not really suited.
Completely agree with both.

I've often said in earlier posts that that's what I see Hannibal as - a box to box #8. He doesn't have the defensive ability / reading of the game of a DM; or the goalscoring ability or (yet) key playmaker ability of a #10. But he has a good, albeit still raw, all round midfield game with his energy, fieriness, ability to drop deep as a playmaker or drive forward well with the ball and enough technical ability and vision to link up in attacks and be quite a good creator.

There's a lot of potential there for a good #8. However he's just never really been given much of an opportunity to play, let alone play in the position and role that would allow him to display the technical attributes he definitely possesses. Which feels very frustrating, and I'm really hoping he at least gets those opportunities if he goes out on loan.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is not some world class talent, but I am sure he could make decent career here as a squad player, and can be even decent first XI option in complimentary three man midfield, it's not like we have no worse players currently playing for us! But no doubt we will spend at least 30-40 milions in one of transfer periods on a player with big wages that will be equal quality or worse, without even trying to make Hannibal work first.

Red00012

He is not some world class talent, but I am sure he could make decent career here as a squad player, and can be even decent first XI option in complimentary three man midfield, it's not like we have no worse players currently playing for us! But no doubt we will spend at least 30-40 milions in one of transfer periods on a player with big wages that will be equal quality or worse, without even trying to make Hannibal work first.
We could have made Hannibal work rather than piss away money on Mount who we could get on a free this summer while spending the 55million elsewhere .

Ekeke

His performance 3 months ago against Burnley where he did quite well, the match after coming off the bench and scoring before.

Some good parts, some not so good parts. He's played 45 mins or more for United's first team 3 times after that

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That hasn’t happened though. He hasn’t featured much but when he has it’s been as a central midfielder.

TheReligion

Abusive
You produced valid points, but compared to clubs across Europe, our academy feels it is lacking and in my eyes, from the scouting getting young players and the team scouting talent for the first team, both are atrocious and it needs a shake up.

For example, it is criminal that someone like Martinelli wasn't given more than 4 trials at the club, but is one of the main guys in one of the strongest Arsenal teams in a decade. How did he slip through their fingers? Got to question how someone like Chong showed more than him....

Rashford, he goes missing for 18months and then shows up for 6 to 8 months, rinse and repeats.

I'd much rather we had an academy that could fill in gaps that we have right now rather than splashing huge amounts in the market. We apparently have no striker coming through ready to come in, so we splashed huge amounts on an unproven striker from the Serie A. Neither McT or Hannibal are good enough to fill in at midfield and we are hoping Mainoo can lift the heavy load at the moment.

Injury crisis in the LB, had to loan a player in from Spurs, our best LB to come in the past 10 years is Brandon Williams who is not good enough for a team out side of the bottom 3.

No CBs have come through other than Willy, we have rarely seen him and I pray he turns good. There are areas all over the pitch that need improving, but none of the players in the academy are even worth the chance apparently, this isn't a manager problem either because it's been going on for years now.

Barcelona have been sourcing players for nearly 2 decades, although Messi is one in a lifetime type player, there isn't any excuses as to why they are consistently bringing in players from La Masia to fill in.
I think you’re really out of touch with the academy if you want me to be perfectly honest. Things have been overhauled in recent times by way of acknowledging it had fallen behind.

Slowly some of the fruits are now starting to bare (Garnacho, Mainoo) and there’s some other really good prospects on the cusp.

This was discussed here a few months ago.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/exciting-time-for-the-academy.480345/

flameinthesun

I think you’re really out of touch with the academy if you want me to be perfectly honest. Things have been overhauled in recent times by way of acknowledging it had fallen behind.

Slowly some of the fruits are now starting to bare (Garnacho, Mainoo) and there’s some other really good prospects on the cusp.

This was discussed here a few months ago.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/exciting-time-for-the-academy.480345/
Yeah and adding the fact that crop of youngsters recently won the FA youth cup. I think in Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad we have 3 very very good prospects when usually we only have 1 kind of popping through at a time.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah and adding the fact that crop of youngsters recently won the FA youth cup. I think in Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad we have 3 very very good prospects when usually we only have 1 kind of popping through at a time.
Not only that but the volume of other graduates currently performing in the PL to high level (Elanga, Mengi, Garner).

I think it’s quite clear the academy is going in the right direction again.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That hasn’t happened though. He hasn’t featured much but when he has it’s been as a central midfielder.
He's been used as an attacking midfielder (same position as Scott and Mount have been playing this year), winger and even as a striker. The latter two when he's come on as a late sub. I think the only time he was used as a normal central midfielder was in the second half of the preseason game against Wrexham, where he was easily the best player on the pitch (albeit it was a team of the kids).

Smores

Yeah I don't get it. In our system where the two more advanced midfielders need to heavily press and link up play he's a decent option as backup for Bruno/Mount.

As you say considering how poor our recruitment is are we even confident of getting someone better in.

Skills

Snitch
We're paying £10m to loan amrabat for a year :lol:

united for life

So he’s off to Sevilla. I hope he progresses well over there. Not sure why we accepted the buy option for 19 million. I think he is a good talent that should’ve been given a proper chance at the club.

red_devil29

So he’s off to Sevilla. I hope he progresses well over there. Not sure why we accepted the buy option for 19 million. I think he is a good talent that should’ve been given a proper chance at the club.
what are you takling about? What have you seen. Its the same as Chong. Skinny boy and not good with the Ball. It is okay to be bad with the ball if you gives the team some physical strength. Very happy to se him out of the club.

RedDevilQuebecois

Not fun when we let go young players who want to makea name of themselves while we keep on enduring the same lazy/disinterested clowns at the club. :mad:

MrBest

To clarify, can we turn down a buy option if we change our mind at the end of the season? I'm gutted with this deal, had hoped he get more of a look in this season. Either way, I hope he smashes it and comes home.

TheGame

Probably would have been worth a go in the game against Spurs. It’s a shame he’s going but totoally understand with the lack of oppprtunities here. Hope he makes it and does well over there.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
To clarify, can we turn down a buy option if we change our mind at the end of the season? I'm gutted with this deal, had hoped he get more of a look in this season. Either way, I hope he smashes it and comes home.
Fairly sure we’d have to sell it we agreed a sale price and they activated it. Is he going to play like a 19 million quid player for the next few months? I see him coming back unless he smashes it

OleGunnar20

Disappointed to see him go. He's got a lot of promise and for whatever reason hasn't been given much of a look in by ETH. He's much better on the ball than people on here are giving him credit for, is always up for thr fight and works his socks off for 90 minutes.

If he'd have been given half of McToms minutes I think we'd have a very useful squad player on our hands by now. I think he'll do well in Sevilla.

united for life

what are you takling about? What have you seen. Its the same as Chong. Skinny boy and not good with the Ball. It is okay to be bad with the ball if you gives the team some physical strength. Very happy to se him out of the club.
What i have seen is a young man wanting to play for the shirt. He is also better on the ball than people give him credit. He has aggression to his game which we desperately need on the pitch. He was not given a fair chance.

when clubs like sevilla and benfica (in the case of alvaro fernandez) go for young players, it’s a hint that they have potential.

you may not like this, but I think we are letting these kids go without giving them a proper chance.

aeh1991

I personally think he'll do well at Sevilla and we're gonna miss him if they sign him permanently. He's definitely a very talented player. What did you expect from a 20 year old who rarely got playing time here, even after having good games? It's the best for him to go elsewhere and get regular action.

TheGame

No I believe we can't as it's part of the contract but we have a buy back clause inserted if it's permanent.

aeh1991

So, we managed to insert a buy back clause? Great decision by INEOS

Nick7

To be honest I can’t believe we’ve made a profit on him. Was expecting us to sell him for peanuts given our previous sales.

gajender

To be honest I can’t believe we’ve made a profit on him. Was expecting us to sell him for peanuts given our previous sales.
We haven't sold him yet it's just Option to buy not an obligation if reports are correct .