2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Idxomer

I'm surprised he's still here and playing u-21 games, shouldn't we try to find him a loan?

DevTheRed

He should be playing championship level football at a minimum, personally I’d send him to Middlesbrough or Ipswich.. Carrick and McKenna both know him well and they both play a good style of football.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There's definitely a feeling from some that if a player hasn't established himself with us once they're no longer a teen then they won't make it here.

And obviously there's some historical support of that - many players who play over 50 times for us do go straight into the first team squad as teens rather than go out on a few loans first.

However that's not always the case and players do develop - physically, mentally, technically - at different rates. So I've definitely not given up hope on Hannibal getting his chance here yet. He's been a slower developer than some in terms of physical (strength) and mental (temperament), but has always screamed of being very good technically and with good energy levels and work rate.

I definitely think he's 'good enough' to merit us putting in the time with him and giving him some deserved opportunities. But whether that'll actually happen is another thing.
He needs a proper loan this season to sharpen his skills -- a more technical team -- and then hopefully ETH will bring him back and shape him into what he wants him to be at United.

There is a discernable difference already between how he was before he went to the Brunnies and after -- despite being intentionally sent to a loan club that wasn't suitable for his skillsets. I think he has a higher ceiling than say a Mount.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm surprised he's still here and playing u-21 games, shouldn't we try to find him a loan?
I think it was reported that he just wants to keep playing (incl with the U21s) to ensure he's still sharp and fit before he goes out on loan.

Grande

I think he can give us what Martin Odegaard gives Arsenal potentially. He's definitely too good for the reserves.
He doesn’t have Ødegaards extreme close control, weight of touch/strike or balance. When Ødegaard was 15, he made fun of the adult opponents at the top Norwegian level. i’ve never seen a 15 year old like that. Mejbri is just very, very talented in these regards. What Mejbri has that Ødegaard lacked, is a temperament and a natural tenacity. Ødegaard learnt to impose urgency in his play, but it took several years and patient and goal directed training.

I see what you say as Mejbri doesn’t need to be completely similar to Ødegaard to have a similar function in a different team. Mason Mount strikes me as a more close comparison, but I doubt wether Mejbri have the two other’s quickness of thought/eye for the movement of play. I’m a bit surprised Ten Hag hasn’t taken more to him, but maybe it’s that the 10 role under Ten Hag demands more speed of thought than he has yet, and the 8 roles demand more physicality than he has yet?

MUFC OK

You do realise that he is only 20? Bruno at age was playing for a Serie C club.
Usually you see glimpses and in my humble opinion I haven’t seen that with him. A long way to go in terms of temperament and decision making - fine at 20 but I think he needs to improve quickly to make the grade at Utd. Paramount to that is game time, whether here or more likely, elsewhere. In 18 months he will be 22, needs to fill that time with first team football for the sake of his career.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Two or three times he makes a bad decision in a dangerous spot and gets away with it, whereas in the league he'd be dispossessed and give away a certain chance on goal. I think he has a lot of work to do to reach the first team.
That would be sorted out by a good head coach like a Arne Slot (Feyenoord). You only improve by making mistakes and then learning from them. But you have to have the courage to play your game in the first place and show for the ball and attempt to play through the lines. Something quite a few players in our first team have been poor at over the years.

Ace of Spades

I would keep him. Ericksen has looked completely past it, and McTominay is useless with the ball, and frankly he looked better than Mount in pre-season overall.

There is plenty to improve, but I think he can be a squad player currently at least.

jeepers

What stands out for me is he is comfortable at LCM, CM and RCM.

He had a few loose touches but that wouldn’t bother me because it’s the start of the season. The weight of his passing was good, ball carrying was good. Decision-making could have been better.

I would have preferred if we just let McT go to West Ham in a double deal with Maguire and let Mainoo and Mejbri share his minutes, or one of them to go out on loan for the season to a suitable club. Too bad that ship has sailed due to supreme imbecility and incompetence.

Mr PG

Hannibal is very good. He's ready for the 1st team I'd play him ahead of Mason Mount or rotate him in . It's better than seeing the team crumble in the second half due to running out legs

NotQuiteManc

Two or three times he makes a bad decision in a dangerous spot and gets away with it, whereas in the league he'd be dispossessed and give away a certain chance on goal. I think he has a lot of work to do to reach the first team.
That's what I thought as well. He and Bruno shares that trait of trying to do everything as in trying to hog the ball too long to find that pass instead of moving the ball around before making that pass, and sometimes they would lose focus and gets dispossessed, more often than not, in dangerous areas.

OrcaFat

Hannibal is very good. He's ready for the 1st team I'd play him ahead of Mason Mount or rotate him in . It's better than seeing the team crumble in the second half due to running out legs
I am keenly hoping he gets a chance in Mount’s absence.

Bondi77

Something like the way Casemiro has performed this season then

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d start him on Saturday before I start McTominay or Eriksen. Tbh I’d start him before Mount, but sadly, I don’t think Ten Hag would even start him before me.

Robbo*

I’d start him on Saturday before I start McTominay or Eriksen. Tbh I’d start him before Mount, but sadly, I don’t think Ten Hag would even start him before me.
agreed, think it’s a big chance for him

OrcaFat

agreed, think it’s a big chance for him
If he is picked it will, imo, be a significant step forward for EtH. He has been reluctant to trust the young lads but he needs to let go of his fear (if that’s what the problem is!).

CallyRed

I think Dalot has a more of a chance starting in midfield then this dude.

Blood Mage

Feck it, we have nothing to lose we should just throw him in there and see how he does. ETH doesn't seem to trust him though.

foolsgold

I remember watching him 4 years ago and thinking he was 100% certain to make it but I haven’t seen anything near enough in his first team cameos to suggest he’s ready now.

Ultimate there’s only one way to be sure, and that’s to give him a run of games.

Bondi77

Now that Mount is out we should play Hannibal alongside Casemiro so at least we can have someone that can run and is not gassed after 10 minutes in the midfield

Glorio

Now that Mount is out we should play Hannibal alongside Casemiro so at least we can have someone that can run and is not gassed after 10 minutes in the midfield
And someone who is not scared to keep a hold of the ball (even if I don't know if that's a tactical instruction)

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not sure but i feel ETH doesn’t fancy him. I hope i am completely wrong but somehow he gets overlooked every single time. Zidane Iqbal was preferred last season and this season Dan Gore got opportunities in the position, i think Hannibal excels at.

But one thing this kid has is great attitude. I remember Pogba was sulking when he was made to play reserve after getting first team chance. Hannibal played a great game last time he played for U21. Atleast bench option and slowly integrating him would be the way forward

Glorio

What is he really good at? What are his standout qualities?
Long passing, short passing, dribbling, pressing, showing to receive a pass (this shouldn't have to be mentioned for a pro footballer, but when he's in among the likes of McTom and DVB, worth mentioning).

Not great:
He's not as much as a goal threat as one would expect (decisiveness basically), and he can be a bit rash.

Highfather_24

Long passing, short passing, dribbling, pressing, showing to receive a pass
He keeps the ball well, but dunno if we can say his passing is really good. Dont think he is very creative, or a great dribbler. I dont think he has the end product to be a #10, or the defensive nous to be a #6. He is probably a #8, but I dont know if he influences the game enough, and will most likely be bypassed if we play him there.

He has a good engine, and has decent technical ability, but I have concerns about his ability in the men's game. I would loan him out or sell for a decent fee.

Oranges038

Feck it, we have nothing to lose we should just throw him in there and see how he does. ETH doesn't seem to trust him though.
Probably because he's a red card waiting to happen and isn't ready yet. But, at this stage given the lack of options, it might be worth a punt throwing him in to see how he does, he couldn't be much worse than McT.

Maybe another year on loan would bring him on, but he'd have to go to a club where he's going to be a starter and one that will help develop his game on the ball. Overall, I think he's a decent player, did ok in the Championship last year, but that's probably his level, lower half of the PL/ upper half of the Championship.

SweDevil

Apparently Mejbri weren’t in the Under-21s squad against Stockport, instead training with the first team. Hopefully he gets his chance and takes it.

Glorio

He keeps the ball well, but dunno if we can say his passing is really good. Dont think he is very creative, or a great dribbler. I dont think he has the end product to be a #10, or the defensive nous to be a #6. He is probably a #8, but I dont know if he influences the game enough, and will most likely be bypassed if we play him there.

He has a good engine, and has decent technical ability, but I have concerns about his ability in the men's game. I would loan him out or sell for a decent fee.
You seem to have all your answers. Thought it was a genuine question :houllier:

For what it's worth, I think he's a brilliant passer and dribbler, and he influences games plenty. In fact, a potential criticism might be that he seems to be one of those that always wants to run the game, which may be an issue with bigger stars in the men's game

Davie Moyes

You seem to have all your answers. Thought it was a genuine question :houllier:

For what it's worth, I think he's a brilliant passer and dribbler, and he influences games plenty. In fact, a potential criticism might be that he seems to be one of those that always wants to run the game, which may be an issue with bigger stars in the men's game
I think you are spot on with your observations. I can't quite fathom posters who say they can't quite see it with him.

Baxquux

Said this before, but I think on his current 'profile' trajectory, he's going to be more of a Herrera than a flashy no. 10, and on course, if given chances in that position and coached accordingly, to become a useful squad player both at higher and deeper 8 positions; not a sitting midfielder, and probably not a 10 except if we need one to press and harry as well as, of course inject a bit of creativity. Should be trying him there off the bench and in cup games, particularly whilst we're waiting for Mainoo to come back and a 50/50 chance midfield won't be strengthened externally.

ColvaleGoa

With Mejbri,, if and when he gets a chance he needs to take it ala Rashford.Just like what Mainoo did.

If he is just another passenger than that will be it for his United Career. Don't think he will get more than 1 or 2 games to impress EtH.

Marwood

With Mejbri,, if and when he gets a chance he needs to take it ala Rashford.Just like what Mainoo did.

If he is just another passenger than that will be it for his United Career. Don't think he will get more than 1 or 2 games to impress EtH.
I think he's the type to grasp the opportunity. I don't think you ever get a quiet performance from him.

I reckon ETH is waiting for him to mature emotionally. He has been a loose cannon, at least as bad as a young Rooney or Keane. If not worse.

But pre season I thought he showed signs of calming down a bit.

I like him, has to be in the squad this weekend. If not he has to be leaving somehow.

OrcaFat

What is he really good at? What are his standout qualities?
Must be rhetorical as you judge him later and say you’d loan or sell him. All fine but imo there is a big difference between not good enough and not ready; if anything I’d say Hannibal is in the latter category but I personally believe he can step up.

OrcaFat

Yeah, they have to take their chances these guys. Apparently EtH was impressed with him in pre-season so he may be in with a shout for getting some minutes with Mount unavailable. If not he should go on loan asap.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Yeah, they have to take their chances these guys. Apparently EtH was impressed with him in pre-season so he may be in with a shout for getting some minutes with Mount unavailable. If not he should go on loan asap.
Not seen this reported anywhere. Where did you hear this? Is this because ETH spoke with him post Wrexham game?

Red00012

So impressed he hasn’t made the bench in 2 games with Mainoo out injured. He named 2 gk’s v spurs on the bench so no he obviously wasn’t impressed.

OrcaFat

Not seen this reported anywhere. Where did you hear this? Is this because ETH spoke with him post Wrexham game?
I said “apparently” because it could be horseshit but I read it a few places. MEN probably. Not sure it was specifically EtH or “the club” who was impressed…

As far as I can gather, he is rated here. Bigger question is whether he is ready for meaningful minutes.