Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Was always a danger when playing against us. Unbeatable in the air and occasionally showing silky skills on the deck. All of that has gone now. I thought at the very least with his height he would clear the odd corner kick, but not even that..

FerociousCorgis

idk think he is what he is. Def would be hard pressed to say i wouldnt have rather just kept smalling, bought a 40 million-ish defender to try and add to mix, then spent another 40 million on a CM. Shouldve just sold jones and rojo for whatever anyone wanted. Just not a smart use of 80 million IMO.

mu4c_20le

There were plenty. But the manager shits gold lot generally overpower all the dissent then.
It wasn't really Ole fans that supported it, more like the anti chuckle brothers brigade. And there were lots of them.

dev1l

He was never an 80 million player but people over here are exaggerating about how "bad" he is.
They pick up every single error and make a meal out of it , they try to blame him for every goal we concede.....

Then there are those who were against him from.the start - either Smalling fan boys or else those who proposed their favorite exotic named cb - like the upemacanos of this world. At this rate we LL soon have a day dedicated to our Lord Upemacanos

The words used are the same as those recycled on twatter by the most eminent experts in the fields - simply "shite" - as it gives the impression they are some sort of authority on the subject

A-man

He was never an 80 million player but people over here are exaggerating about how "bad" he is.
They pick up every single error and make a meal out of it , they try to blame him for every goal we concede.....

Then there are those who were against him from.the start - either Smalling fan boys or else those who proposed their favorite exotic named cb - like the upemacanos of this world. At this rate we LL soon have a day dedicated to our Lord Upemacanos

The words used are the same as those recycled on twatter by the most eminent experts in the fields - simply "shite" - as it gives the impression they are some sort of authority on the subject
I agree he was expensive but don’t think it was so outrageous as some seem to think. Especially not compared to some midfielders and forwards:
Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred, Matic, and Mkhitaryan cost 370 million together, that’s 62 million each on average.

Last edited:

Greck

Where were all these Maguire critics before he was signed?
Normally the caf is hindsight 20/20 but this transfer had critics from day one. Even those in favour acknowledged he wasn't worth the tag and rationalised it by saying the upgrade over smalling was what made it worth it. Heck even Leicester fans said he wasn't worth 80m. Which was probably the biggest red flag considering fans are supposed to be delusional over their best players

kr0nix

Maguire hasn't been anywhere close to good and James has declined massively since start of the season and big odds he is not going to be anywhere close to starting lineup in the future. AWB looks like the only one still playing well out of the three and even he still has some question marks on certain aspects in his play.
Keep in mind that there were people calling for Ole to be made DOF for his talent in spotting players.

Where are those people now?

Robbie Boy

Is this a joke? There were loads on here. I never in a million years wanted him. He started decent tbf and I thought he might prove me wrong but nope, he's as smack, bang average as I expected. A hugely overrated player who clearly buys into his own 'on the ball' skills which again, are hugely overrated.

spiriticon

I'm here. Well I'm not really a critic but he was never going to be the one to solve all the defensive problems. I never understood the Caf's obsession over him in 2018. I was squirming when the fee was £65 million, and I just about managed a soft sigh when he came for a cool £80 million in 2019.

To think we spent close to £200 million on Maguire, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Blind since 2013 when we could have just put Smalling and Evans in defence and got pretty much the same results.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The Leicester City board must've been laughing their way to the bank when our offer was accepted.

Paul_Scholes18

I'm here. Well I'm not really a critic but he was never going to be the one to solve all the defensive problems. I never understood the Caf's obsession over him in 2018. I was squirming when the fee was £65 million, and I just about managed a soft sigh when he came for a cool £80 million in 2019.

To think we spent close to £200 million on Maguire, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Blind since 2013 when we could have just put Smalling and Evans in defence and got pretty much the same results.
That shows how badly managed we have been. LVG should have never sold Evans, but he did. Now we have almost forced Smalling out too.
I think Bailly made sense to go for from Mourinho given the talent he had shown. The others maybe not so much. Although Blind did well with Smalling in defense, but that was not the original plan from LVG.

meninred

He was probably a 50 mil player but the price of Vandyke who also came from smaller club rocketed the market.
Hope the coaches improve him. But he seems bulky and not athletic or mobile.His speed is average too. Dont know how far he can develop.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That shows how badly managed we have been. LVG should have never sold Evans, but he did. Now we have almost forced Smalling out too.
I think Bailly made sense to go for from Mourinho given the talent he had shown. The others maybe not so much. Although Blind did well with Smalling in defense, but that was not the original plan from LVG.
If you asked me now, I’d rather have Smalling and Evans as our first choice CB.

Paul_Scholes18

If you asked me now, I’d rather have Smalling and Evans as our first choice CB.
I say those two are the top two central defenders from UK at the moment. Maybe Gomez with his form should be mentioned too.
I think everyone wanted them out because we played so bad under Moyes so people wanted to remove everything. Same with selling Young, Nani etc. Although it was actually Vidic and Ferdinand that played most games being old and getting too slow. Injuries didn't help them though as with Jones.

manunited1919

It wasn't really Ole fans that supported it, more like the anti chuckle brothers brigade. And there were lots of them.
Yeah there were lots of them. And every mistake by Jones or anybody else in the team would be Smalling’s fault. It was clear to see we didn’t need to spend £80m on a CD, those funds needed to go to a midfielder and perhaps a RW or ST. But chuckle brothers it was.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The point of signing this guy is because we need an experienced ball playing centre back not just someone who is young. We have Lindelof, Axel & Bailly who are still young or considered as less experienced compared to Maguire or Koulibaly. Ole wanted Koulibaly but Napoli only sell if we active the 130m release clause, which is an even crazier fees, thus why we went to Maguire because not many option out there available.

Litch

Another player that arrives from a club half decent that turns to shit when they play here.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The point of signing this guy is because we need an experienced ball playing centre back not just someone who is young. We have Lindelof, Axel & Bailly who are still young or considered as less experienced compared to Maguire or Koulibaly. Ole wanted Koulibaly but Napoli only sell if we active the 130m release clause, which is an even crazier fees, thus why we went to Maguire because not many option out there available.
Maguire is 26 and Bailly is 25, how can one be experienced and the other be young? Bailly was starting for United when Maguire was at Hull ffs! :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire is 26 and Bailly is 25, how can one be experienced and the other be young? Bailly was starting for United when Maguire was at Hull ffs! :lol:
Because Bailly barely even fit. Maguire is way up ahead of Bailly in term of experienced. Sometime you don’t just look at their age alone.

flappyjay

Another player playing way below his standard.
Is he though? During the saga leicester fans said Evans was the better player and were called bitter for it . Instead people who wanted him turned a blind eye. The were even videos of him being turned by strikers the way Lazazette turned him the other day

dev1l

Is he though? During the saga leicester fans said Evans was the better player and were called bitter for it . Instead people who wanted him turned a blind eye. The were even videos of him being turned by strikers the way Lazazette turned him the other day
You ll find such video on basically every defender.

Litch

That’s a very good question. From what I have seen, at least two top-4 teams have had a central defence worse than United.
City's defence doesn't look top 4 to me, but they are in it.....

Bestietom

Next captain a few weeks ago. 2/3 bad games and send him back to Leicester. Fans just raving now.

Status
Not open for further replies.