Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluctuation0161

One hundred per cent this.

He is still the best defender at the club, and we definitely miss him when he doesn't start.
He hasn't been good at times this season, but my god he has definitely not been as bad as some on here make out.

The mental gymnastics some on here perform to blame nearly every goal on him is alarming and baffling.
:lol:

He can't play in a high press system. That much is obvious.

Classical Mechanic

You honestly believe that?
It's not the fact that we payed 80 million pounds for him? And made him a captain of the club?

I don't think there are any daft conspiracy theories going on, it's pure human behaviour.
You want to make yourself believe you made the right choice. It's actually very hard acknowledging to yourself that you fecked up.
And we fecked up - first by buying him, second and more damning to us - making him the captain.

Lindelof is actually far better at the pressing then Harry is.
He actually know WHEN to press, and he sometimes even gets the ball!
Unlike Harry who presses only for the pressing sake. He doesn't even try to take the ball. And he's usually too late and unsycned with the rest.
I do believe that yes.

What makes you think that we can discard a £50m signing in AWB or that Arsenal can discard a £70m signing in Pepe but we can't drop an £80m signing in Maguire? It makes no sense to think that the manager or club would forsake the team for Maguire. It's far more likely that they know more about football than you or I and are analysing the game differently to the average poster on here.

I saw Gary Neville interview Lampard and they talked about how as pundits they're only making their best guesses as to what's going on in their analysis because they do not know the team instructions. Do you know our team instructions? I'm at least trying to make an educated guess about them.

As for your point on Lindelof being better than Maguire at pressing the ball. Last season Maguire was in the 91st percentile in the league for interceptions per 90, among the elite. In his first season he was in the 98th percentile so totally elite in this regard. Lindelof has always fallen in the poor to average range by this metric throughout his United career.

https://fbref.com/en/players/d8931174/scout/10728/Harry-Maguire-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/f5deef4c/scout/10728/Victor-Lindelof-Scouting-Report

This season Maguire is in the 39th percentile so we can see a clear drop off in effectiveness which suggests bad form rather than a bad player in this aspect of the game.

Last edited:

DickDastardly

Need a compilation of his performance last night.
Our captain is a MEME.

Take the last 10 games and you could find a memeable (is that even a word) moment in every single one of them.

And not just the mistakes. Headbutting Ronaldo for example.

I'm sure @GifLord has better things to do in life, but yeah, a compilation would be great.
He could upload it to "moronsdoingthings" straight away.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Anybody who think he is our best defender and is good enough for United is delusional. No sane person will look at him play and say “ oh look he was good 10 light years ago”. He was never great and our counterattack style led to this notion that he was great. Same goes for AWB.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Our captain is a MEME.

Take the last 10 games and you could find a memeable (is that even a word) moment in every single one of them.

I'm sure @GifLord has better things to do in life, but yeah, a compilation would be great.

The Oracle

I don't know whether it has ever been posted on the forum before, but there is a write up of Harry Maguire's career up to December 2020, and it makes for grim reading.

His CV up to that point included:
4 relegations
7 semi-finals participated in, 7 losses
1 x play-off trophy win (came on as a sub in 89th minute)

He's heavily associated with failure.

Ultimately he is out of his depth at Utd. If we want to move forward as a club, then he needs to be moved on.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...ited-captain-harry-maguire-is-brutal-20201211

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Was he that bad last night? Didn't think it was his fault we conceded, and after that Madrid created nothing.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Our captain is a MEME.

Come on man, Savic pushed him into Ronaldo. He didn't do it on purpose.

Withnail

If you actually watched the move you’d see that Varane was tracking Felix’s run into the space which Maguire inexplicably vacated. Telles then tries to shift inside as Varane is pulled wide by the run and everything goes to shit from there because the defensive shape was compromised by Maguire’s needless step up.
The fact that this needs spelling out when it's so clear in the feckin video is mind boggling to me :lol:

Some of you have a lot more patience than I do.

Jezpeza

:lol:

He can't play in a high press system. That much is obvious.
agree. He is totally the wrong defender for a high line or high press. But the question is what system will the next manager employ? You dont necessarily have to play a high press. The next manager and his tactics will probably decide what HM does here - whether he is reintegrated into the team or becomes the wrong tool for the job

So when Verane stepped in on Kane on the weekend, then when Kane dished it off and Verane chased the ball rather than getting back into position to which the ball then went to Cancelo who was left unmarked only for him to put in a low hard cross that Maguire was forced to try and make a last ditch effort to block or allow an tap in, did anyone say "the entire problem started with Verane" or did they just blame Maguire?
What your saying is very reasonable. However, surely you have to understand that Maguire is the most expensive CB of all time. He will be judged to a higher standard than players that cost less than half his price rightly or wrongly..

It sucks because it’s not his fault, he didn’t set his price. I don’t like this saying but it is what it is..

DickDastardly

I do believe that yes.

What makes you think that we can discard a £50m signing in AWB or that Arsenal can discard a £70m signing in Pepe but we can't drop an £80m signing in Maguire? It makes no sense to think that the manager or club would forsake the team for Maguire. It's far more likely that they know more about football than you or I and are analysing the game differently to the average poster on here.
Simple. Who gives a feck about Aaron Wan Bissaka? Except maybe for his mum and dad.
Pepe? He aint english. And Arsenal are not Manchester United.

Harry Maguire is the face of Man Utd. He's english through and through.

AND - he's the fecking captain!
Yes, you can discard your rightback, or your attacker if he goes missing.....nobody is going to question that.
You do not, however, discard your captain CB without noise. And that noise is pretty fecking loud.

Manager? What manager? Ralf aint our manager, he's here for 6 months.
Harry is protected - by who? I have no idea. Somebody is cleary forsaking the team in order for Harry Maguire to play.

That's pretty obvious. He's making mistakes after mistakes, costing us points and frankly, making us a worse team.

Yet, cometh the hour of the teamsheet, there is no question he's not starting.
And, it's not like we don't have healthy CB's to play instead? Lindelof isn't injured, Eric is healthy, feck - even Jones is contention.

Yes, there are more knowledgable people then me. I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say, yeah ok, maybe Harry isn't so bad.
Someone writes an scouting essay on Maguire with xG's and what not's......fine.
But i do have eyes. And i do know football. Also played it for quite a long time, still do. None of which makes me right i know.

But, he's still a horrible player. Championship level. And that's flattering.

Classical Mechanic

Simple. Who gives a feck about Aaron Wan Bissaka? Except maybe for his mum and dad.
Pepe? He aint english. And Arsenal are not Manchester United.

Harry Maguire is the face of Man Utd. He's english through and through.

AND - he's the fecking captain!
Yes, you can discard your rightback, or your attacker if he goes missing.....nobody is going to question that.
You do not, however, discard your captain CB without noise. And that noise is pretty fecking loud.

Manager? What manager? Ralf aint our manager, he's here for 6 months.
Harry is protected - by who? I have no idea. Somebody is cleary forsaking the team in order for Harry Maguire to play.

That's pretty obvious. He's making mistakes after mistakes, costing us points and frankly, making us a worse team.

Yet, cometh the hour of the teamsheet, there is no question he's not starting.
And, it's not like we don't have healthy CB's to play instead? Lindelof isn't injure, Eric is healthy, feck - even Jones is contention.

Yes, there are more knowledgable people then me. I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say, yeah ok, maybe Harry isn't so bad.
Someone writes an scouting essay on Maguire with xG's and what not's......fine.
But i do have eyes. And i do know football. Also played it for quite a long time, still do. None of which makes me right i know.

But, he's still a horrible player. Championship level. And that's flattering.
Utter drivel from start to finish.

Classical Mechanic

Fine.

What your saying is, Maguire is a good player and he deserves to not only play, but captain Manchester United?
Actually no. I'm saying that he's a good player in very bad form this season. He has been a lot better since Ralf took over but now he's the chief scapegoat so his performances are being microanalysed and he's often taking the blame for errors that are not his, or at least are not the big errors in goals conceded. I'm not saying that he's now playing perfectly because he isn't. I don't think he should be United captain either. I don't think he really has the right character for the job.

I find the theories that he's only getting games now because he's English and/or because of his fee to be completely inane. They make no sense on any level in such a high stakes results based business.

MattofManchester

Here follows a list of some examples of Maguires faults last night.
1. i lost count how many times he headers the ball straight up or to opposition. Sure, he wins the header…
2. His positioning is poor.
3. He is incredibly slow (physically) and to compensate has to either fall deep to early or step up (which probably is part of the reason of 2 above).
4. His decision making is poor which means he steps up at the wrong times (combined with his utter lack of pace (see 3 above) it is a disaster). This is what happened on the goal. He stepped up to win a ball by half way line. Didnt win the ball. Left a gaping hole the size of greenland behind him which varanes striker ran into pulling varane out of position completely. Dalot had to follow to close the gap between him and varane; leaving a the space behind him open for Lodi.
5. On many occasions he passes the ball out to throw in.
6. When the ball comes to him in the air, he could bring the ball down, calm play down and build up attack. Instead he panics and headers it straight up.
7. When he gets pressured with the ball at his feet he panics and yesterday he at least twice but DDG in a difficult spot, leading to losing the ball.
8. His complete lack of confidence is contagious.
9. Because of all above, the midfielders and telles have to compensate and support him in a ridiculous way (a bit like babysitting).

there is more, but not enough time to write a complete list.
I am well aware of his shortcomings, given I was against the signing ever taking place when he first came here.

But that is my point. He should never have been here in the first place. He is far out of his depth.
That isn't him who is to blame.
It's the decision makers who brought him in. That anger needs to be directed at them.
That's where the real problem lies.
Their arrogance is now going to hurt us immensely.
Harry is now a player beyond his depth, but ends up having to play so it looks like the club stands in solidity with their captain(the big problem) , but is also unsellable due to his price tag and wage.

He should be removed of the captaincy, so we can at least knock one domino off, but the fact is that seems unlikely due to the club's handling of the whole matter, and it seems Ralf has his hands tied there.

All this stems back to the people making the decisions.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s one of many who need to be in their last season here.

I don’t think we’ve ever had such a rebuild job approaching us ahead of the summer. So many players need to leave, and I’m not sure we have enough youth ready to fill the squad either. Hannibal and Laird for me, maybe Garner or Galbraith too.

DickDastardly

Actually no. I'm saying that he's a good player in very bad form this season. He has been a lot better since Ralf took over but now he's the chief scapegoat so his performances are being microanalysed and he's often taking the blame for errors that are not his. I'm not saying that he's now playing perfectly because he isn't. I don't think he should be United captain either. I don't think he really has the right character for the job.

I find the theories that he's only getting games now because he's English and/or because of his fee to be completely inane. They make no sense on any level in such a high stakes results based business.
OK. Agree on most of it.

So, what excatly is the reason for his constant playing? Why do we keep playing him?
It's pretty obvious to anyone even slightly familiar with football that he's in a bad form. So why do we keep playing a centerback in poor form?
It's not like we don't have other options.

What is the sense? Why is he playing?

Zoo

He's had an awful season and his future now is in the hands of the new manager as is whether he should remain captain, I definitely think with the latter that he should no longer be wearing the armband but the problem is there no good alternative.

DickDastardly

He's had an awful season and his future now is in the hands of the new manager as is whether he should remain captain, I definitely think with the latter that he should no longer be wearing the armband but the problem is there no good alternative.
That's the least of our problems.

Stick it to De Gea. He's the longest serving player in this team. And he's pretty consistant.

What you also get, is you relieve some pressure of Harry. Maybe that's what he needs, less pressure.

Classical Mechanic

OK. Agree on most of it.

So, what excatly is the reason for his constant playing? Why do we keep playing him?
It's pretty obvious to anyone even slightly familiar with football that he's in a bad form. So why do we keep playing a centerback in poor form?
It's not like we don't have other options.

What is the sense? Why is he playing?
His form generally under Ralf has been a lot better. In the game last night I don't think he made any big errors. The goal was mostly the fault of Elanga who allowed Dalot to get isolated in an overload because he was complaining about not getting a foul. You can also argue that Fred would've got the ball after Maguire's pressing if he wasn't pushed over. I don't see the big drama about the Maguire's role in the goal. I think he was more questionable in the disallowed goal.

I've posted in this thread detailed reasons why I think Ralf continues to pick him. Have a look for them because I have to go out.

DickDastardly

His form generally under Ralf has been a lot better. In the game last night I don't think he made any big errors. The goal was mostly the fault of Elanga who allowed Dalot to get isolated in an overload because he was complaining about not getting a foul. You can also argue that Fred would've got the ball after Maguire's pressing if he wasn't pushed over. I don't see the big drama about the Maguire's role in the goal. I think he was more questionable in the disallowed goal.

I've posted in this thread detailed reasons why I think Ralf continues to pick him. Have a look for them because I have to go out.
Will do. Interested in the reasons.

Smithy89

There is plenty better, there are literally defenders in the championship better than him. Worst signing we've ever made, Eans carried him at Leicester and Stones/Walker carry him for England. GO through every premier league side and you'll find a better CB in at least 17 of them.

spiriticon

He's not a good player on very bad form.

He's an average player on very bad form. The ceiling is low.

Ollie Derbyshire

he can not be smarter. He knows that if he gives an attacker some time to receive the ball, he wil be skinned. So, by his logic, he needs to make sure that attacker loses the ball before he touches it. Horrific defender to have for a team that wants to play a high defensive line.
Yeah no sense to continue with him, club needs to accept it’s wasted some money and move on

Ollie Derbyshire

If only he was new and not an experienced Captain, I'd be tempted to give him another year so he can be smarter.
Smarter was me being nice, it’s clear we can’t become the team we need to with Maguire in it. Simply doesn’t suit our needs.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Was he that bad last night? Didn't think it was his fault we conceded, and after that Madrid created nothing.
Huh?

He charged out to challenge Greizmann for the ball in midfield. Leaving a huge gap in our defense. You can get away with doing that if you're a fast defender, Maguire moves like a slug. As soon as he did that we were playing with 3 at the back, Telles had to attempt to close the huge void left by Maguire but by doing so left Llorente open. To add insult to injury, because Maguire had left that space open, Varane had no choice but to run directly for Llorente leaving Felix open.

The entire reason we conceded that goal was because our players had decisions to make to attempt to fill in for a missing Maguire and where was our gallant CB when the ball was put in the net? About 12 yards from the goal.

I do also blame our midfield for being shite. Neither McTominay nor Fred tracked back and McTominay was partly guilty for letting Koke run off him. It's pretty pathetic that it ended up being a 4v4.

Edit: Just noticed that was the offside goal. :lol:

Last edited:

kthanksbye

Not sure if we need to have an in depth insight of tactics and instructions to call Maguire out for giving free headers to opponent players at least thrice in every five attempts.
What tactics and instructions is he following when he get's stuck with the ball facing his own goal after taking a poor first touch or turning like the titanic.
What strategy is he trying to execute when he comes out to press a player knowing he does not have the ability to track the same player if the player decides to play a 1-2 and just jogs away from Maguire.
He committed how many? 3 fouls in the opposition box yesterday during our set pieces?

None of this is down to tactics or instructions, it's not a result of him playing in a different system which exposes his weaknesses. He's a bang average defender who should never have been shortlisted by our scouts, let alone start for us or become club captain.

He's a result of a series of incompetent decisions by multiple people, right from the scouts who analyzed him to the manager who bought him, to the person who negotiated for his signature, to the manager who made him captain and now RR who is playing him.

The club is a joke and it's not funny anymore.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What your saying is very reasonable. However, surely you have to understand that Maguire is the most expensive CB of all time. He will be judged to a higher standard than players that cost less than half his price rightly or wrongly..

It sucks because it’s not his fault, he didn’t set his price. I don’t like this saying but it is what it is..
And that's the problem. You shouldn't judge a player based on how much they cost. Especially when they don't set their price. A player should be judged purely on football. Everyone judged equally. Otherwise you end up with players that aren't as good starting because their expectations are lower

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You are delusional, everyone has an agenda and poor old Maguire, I want him to do well but he is not performing, and making the most mistakes which lead to goals.
Plenty of posters have shown you the evidence of his mistakes better than I could but you just attack everyone saying that he has been appalling bad. I think we know who needs to give their head a shake.
Plenty of posters have shown me how they are looking for mistakes. To blame Maguire for a goal where the ball is crossed from one wing back to another is laughable

Status
Not open for further replies.