Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And you’re saying Maguire isnt? Lindelof is better smarter and faster. I actually think Bailly could be a better optomion in a high press line. As he is fast and explosive.
I'm saying none of them are good enough. We have already played with Bailly and also Lindelof. Get a new CB in the summer

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

why?
Thanks for posting this. I’ve seen the first image do the rounds on a few crappy click bait sites now. The attacking player is goal side of the midfielder so Maguire comes out to close him down and put pressure on him. It’s absolutely the right decision. If he just sat back in line with the rest of the back four, people would complain that he wasn’t closing the attacker down.

Hes clearly got no confidence right now and isn’t playing well, but of course this being football, that means that some folk have to desperately try to find faults in everything he does.

Moiraine

Thanks for posting this. I’ve seen the first image do the rounds on a few crappy click bait sites now. The attacking player is goal side of the midfielder so Maguire comes out to close him down and put pressure on him. It’s absolutely the right decision. If he just sat back in line with the rest of the back four, people would complain that he wasn’t closing the attacker down.

Hes clearly got no confidence right now and isn’t playing well, but of course this being football, that means that some folk have to desperately try to find faults in everything he does.
Maquire is the worst defender i have seen in a top team. If we still believe (that we are a top team!).

He doesn’t deserve to wear United shirt and should be as far away as possible from United next season if United really want to complete for some silverware. They are never going to win anything with this player as Captain and their main defender. Inquiry should he launched how United ended up paying 80m for this piece of ….

I am sitting waiting for my turn for some blood tests and my blood is boiling seeing his videos on Facebook and YouTube, trolling aside, he is an utter embarrassment honestly. I don’t remember any top defender like Ruben Diaz or Van Dijk continuously making such silly mistakes and looking like fools. Absolute fraud!

crossy1686

career ending

No he didn’t, he shouldn’t have stepped out unless he was going to win the ball or take the man out. You can’t step out of the line like that and leave the defence overloaded because you think it’s the right thing to do. That ball was always going out to the wing so all he had to do was sit back and wait for the cross to come in instead of making a rash decision.

You’re literally taught at school level to never commit yourself as a defender.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Maquire is the worst defender i have seen in a top team. If we still believe (that we are a top team!).

He doesn’t deserve to wear United shirt and should be as far away as possible from United next season if United really want to complete for some silverware. They are never going to win anything with this player as Captain and their main defender. Inquiry should he launched how United ended up paying 80m for this piece of ….

I am sitting waiting for my turn for some blood tests and my blood is boiling seeing his videos on Facebook and YouTube, trolling aside, he is an utter embarrassment honestly. I don’t remember any top defender like Ruben Diaz or Van Dijk continuously making such silly mistakes and looking like fools. Absolute fraud!
Yes exactly - this is precisely the kind of agenda posting I am talking about. Thanks for demonstrating.

Maguire is having a crap season, and we overpaid for him. That said, since arriving he has been virtually ever-present, and until this season was providing reliable 7/10 performances week in week out. This after we had failed to have any sort of consistency in our backline since the days of Rio and Vidic.

I will add, I dont think Maguire (or any of our defense) is helped by De Gea. This isnt an attempt to deflect or shift the blame, but I recall last season when Henderson came into the team and the entire back line looked a lot more assured. Maguire is slow. If we want our defense to play higher up the pitch, that means that the GK needs to be able to come out and sweep up behind them. De Gea is glued to his line, which makes him and Maguire a really bad fit for each other. Bring in a GK who is better at sweeping, and you would find the likes of Maguire and our other defenders suddenly looked much more competent.

Lyng

Yes exactly - this is precisely the kind of agenda posting I am talking about. Thanks for demonstrating.

Maguire is having a crap season, and we overpaid for him. That said, since arriving he has been virtually ever-present, and until this season was providing reliable 7/10 performances week in week out. This after we had failed to have any sort of consistency in our backline since the days of Rio and Vidic.

I will add, I dont think Maguire (or any of our defense) is helped by De Gea. This isnt an attempt to deflect or shift the blame, but I recall last season when Henderson came into the team and the entire back line looked a lot more assured. Maguire is slow. If we want our defense to play higher up the pitch, that means that the GK needs to be able to come out and sweep up behind them. De Gea is glued to his line, which makes him and Maguire a really bad fit for each other. Bring in a GK who is better at sweeping, and you would find the likes of Maguire and our other defenders suddenly looked much more competent.
What is it with you Maguire lovers and your insane agenda conspiracies.
Look at the video above again. Why the feck would he start trying to dribble? He moves extremely slowly and turns like a oil tanker. He is an average mid table defender.
De Gea has flaws, but has actually had numerous world class matches for us. Maguire has had a few 7/10 performances and never better than that.
In an ideal world we get replacements for both of them.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
No he didn’t, he shouldn’t have stepped out unless he was going to win the ball or take the man out. You can’t step out of the line like that and leave the defence overloaded because you think it’s the right thing to do. That ball was always going out to the wing so all he had to do was sit back and wait for the cross to come in instead of making a rash decision.

You’re literally taught at school level to never commit yourself as a defender.
There are various issues in that image, but for me the main one is that neither Fred nor McTominay are goalside of the attacking players, offering no protection to the back line. If Maguire doesnt step out there, then the Atletico player is free to run to the edge of our box and probably have a crack at goal. Closing him down forces the attacker to play it out to the wing, which is clearly a less threatening position. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but for me the problem in that image comes down once again to us not having a DM who can screen the back line.

Moiraine

Absolutely disagree, stats show otherwise. We were first or second best defence in terms of leaking goals with the likes of Smalling, Blind and Jones from 20114-15 to 18. Just accept that he is utter garbage of a player and should never have been signed by United.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What is it with you Maguire lovers and your insane agenda conspiracies.
Look at the video above again. Why the feck would he start trying to dribble? He moves extremely slowly and turns like a oil tanker. He is an average mid table defender.
De Gea has flaws, but has actually had numerous world class matches for us. Maguire has had a few 7/10 performances and never better than that.
In an ideal world we get replacements for both of them.
You say mine is the "insane agenda conspiracy" where the post that I was replying to labelled Maguire;

"The worst defender i have ever seen in a top team"
"A piece of ..."
"Utter embarrassment"
"Absolute fraud"

As usual, everything is binary on the Caf. A player is either the GOAT or the worst player to have graced the game, depending on their last few performances. The fact is that Maguire was made captain (which was probably a mistake) off of the back of two seasons where he was consistent and reliable - two things we had gravely lacked since Rio/Vidic left. The entire team has been performing badly this season, and Maguire is no exception to that. I think he (and the team) would benefit substantially from having a proper DM, and a different GK behind him.

To put it simply - I think if you put Dias or VVD in our team right now, they wouldnt look half as good as they do at City/Liverpool. Better than Maguire? Probably, but thats not the point.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Absolutely disagree, stats show otherwise. We were first or second best defence in terms of leaking goals with the likes of Smalling, Blind and Jones from 20114-15 to 18. Just accept that he is utter garbage of a player and should never have been signed by United.
You mean under Mourinho, who is known for setting up his teams in a massively defensive fashion?

There are various problems with the team if we want to play fast, attacking, expansive football. Maguire - when he has some confidence - has always excelled at playing and bringing the ball out from the back, which is typically something you want. His biggest problems right now are his confidence, and his lack of speed. With no decent DM in front of him, and a GK who is glued to their line, it puts a lot of pressure on our CBs to cover a lot of the pitch. In that system, Maguire is absolutely struggling because he doesnt have the pace and agility to do that, but I dont think you will find many CBs who dont struggle in such a setup.

I would prioritise bringing in a DM as our #1 priority this summer, but I would also argue that getting a new GK should be a higher priority than replacing Maguire.

M16Red

You say mine is the "insane agenda conspiracy" where the post that I was replying to labelled Maguire;

"The worst defender i have ever seen in a top team"
"A piece of ..."
"Utter embarrassment"
"Absolute fraud"

As usual, everything is binary on the Caf. A player is either the GOAT or the worst player to have graced the game, depending on their last few performances. The fact is that Maguire was made captain (which was probably a mistake) off of the back of two seasons where he was consistent and reliable - two things we had gravely lacked since Rio/Vidic left. The entire team has been performing badly this season, and Maguire is no exception to that. I think he (and the team) would benefit substantially from having a proper DM, and a different GK behind him.

To put it simply - I think if you put Dias or VVD in our team right now, they wouldnt look half as good as they do at City/Liverpool. Better than Maguire? Probably, but thats not the point.
Yes, much better because they are better players.

VVD - passing, his ball over to the right to TAA is used all the time. Granted he isn't as fast as he used to be, but positionally he's very very good.

Dias - Brutal Defender his all round game is very very good.

We can't press high with him playing, simply put he's too slow on a turn. It was one of things he spoke himself

Around 3:30

crossy1686

career ending
There are various issues in that image, but for me the main one is that neither Fred nor McTominay are goalside of the attacking players, offering no protection to the back line. If Maguire doesnt step out there, then the Atletico player is free to run to the edge of our box and probably have a crack at goal. Closing him down forces the attacker to play it out to the wing, which is clearly a less threatening position. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but for me the problem in that image comes down once again to us not having a DM who can screen the back line.
I get your point but the likelihood that the striker will successfully dribble into or to the edge of the box without someone in midfield making a recovery is slim, it's also not likely that their CF would be able to beat De Gea from outside the box. The chances of them scoring go up significantly if they're able to work a chance into the box while our defence is all over the place. The defence is a unit, and if one of the defenders goes AWOL the unit is fecked, and we see that every time Maguire steps up and misses the ball.

Trequartistry

In regards to that picture of Maguire stepping out and the video of him doing those turns against Atletico

For the first picture there is nothing wrong with Maguire stepping out, in fact it’s good defensive play since we have a man advantage at the back and disadvantage in midfield. If he let the attacker carry on running there would be memes why didn’t he close them down

Now for the video, De Gea’s positioning is so disgraceful. No other keeper sets themselves up like that, at least give an option - make yourself an extra player. It’s something ETH emphasises on so I can’t wait for him to come in and ship DDG. At no point does DDG seem interested in helping Maguire.There’s a reason why we looked so much better with Dean Henderson in goal. Varane also offers no angle to receive the ball and Dalot is being watched by Lodi. If de Gea spaced himself out Maguire would be so much more comfortable there

I’m not allowed to post media but there is a clip going around from Ajax’s recent match how when Ajax’s CB timber has the ball, Onana (their GK) moves quickly offering himself as an option. This causes confusion for the opposition press and also allows them to build up

The agenda against Maguire is so clear to see. I was at the game and every time he brought the ball down nicely or just dribbled the entire stadium because very uneasy to him. Why? He’s very comfortable on the ball and you’re just making more pressure.Varane isn’t as half comfortable and isn’t as good of a passer so its jusr very unfair

united for life

trust me mate, i am not desperately trying to find faults. There are plenty of them (unfortunately). If you are not seeing them, then you’re blindly supporting a player which is not healthy. I wish he can get his confidence back and I wish he can play as decent as he plays for England (he is OK for the national team). But the level he displays as club captain week in week out is a disaster - I really hate saying this but it’s true. Just look at the video; why? Why would anyone do that? De gea was furious with him. I was shocked to see it. The commentator was saying that Maguire was playing with fire. Everyone knows he has been below par for a long time.

United in sin

I agree with everything you've said. Why is Maguire pushed down our throats? I don't think even a genuinely world class player like Virjil Van Dijk would be allowed to continue on playing after being individually responsible for so many conceded goals and for having so many bad performances.

What's worse is so many still peddle this notion that Maguire is a good player merely in bad form. He needs our support they say. When is enough enough? Not that I give a crap about the English NT but his inclusion by Southgate for upcoming international games further illustrates how this player is seen as untouchable. It's a perception many have bought into unfortunately. Disgusting

Smithy89

I agree with everything you've said. Why is Maguire pushed down our throats? I don't think even a genuinely world class player like Virjil Van Dijk would be allowed to continue on playing after being individually responsible for so many conceded goals and for having so many bad performances.

What's worse is so many still peddle this notion that Maguire is a good player merely in bad form. He needs our support they say. When is enough enough? Not that I give a crap about the English NT but his inclusion by Southgate for upcoming international games further illustrates how this player is seen as untouchable. It's a perception many have bought into unfortunately. Disgusting

This, are standards that bad at United that fans are depserate to cling onto that small hope that he's actually a good player. You could name anywhere from 10-15 CB's for United who are better than him in the prem era and this guy cost 80m and is captain.

United in sin

You mean under Mourinho, who is known for setting up his teams in a massively defensive fashion?

There are various problems with the team if we want to play fast, attacking, expansive football. Maguire - when he has some confidence - has always excelled at playing and bringing the ball out from the back, which is typically something you want. His biggest problems right now are his confidence, and his lack of speed. With no decent DM in front of him, and a GK who is glued to their line, it puts a lot of pressure on our CBs to cover a lot of the pitch. In that system, Maguire is absolutely struggling because he doesnt have the pace and agility to do that, but I dont think you will find many CBs who dont struggle in such a setup.

I would prioritise bringing in a DM as our #1 priority this summer, but I would also argue that getting a new GK should be a higher priority than replacing Maguire.
Smalling is a far more accomplished center back than the utter joke that we have as a captain right now. Stop making excuses and pointing towards other problem areas. A top DM won't make Maguire a better player, he might hide some of his weaknesses but not always.

The man will have to stand up on his own eventually and show consistent quality worthy of a united captain even outside of having a good DM and I don't think he's capable of that. You can't polish a turd

This, are standards that bad at United that fans are depserate to cling onto that small hope that he's actually a good player. You could name anywhere from 10-15 CB's for United who are better than him in the prem era and this guy cost 80m and is captain.
This. It's mind boggling to me. Perhaps it's this desperation to find the next great English center back. There were high expectations for Phil Jones, John Stones and even Michael Keane. Maguire is the last hope of his generation but he's not the answer.

The sooner his blind followers realize this the better it will be for them. More importantly the club itself needs to realize this, cut it's losses and get rid

Last edited:

Smores

In absolutely no world is he correct to step out there and the cheek of people defending that labelling others as agenda driven.

Do you have to step up as a CB at times? yes but you don't do it in that position with such a huge gap to the attacker. He just had to wait for a few seconds as at the stage you press to limit the shot but also make it harder to play the ball.

Honestly some people go to strange lengths to defend this guy.

crossy1686

career ending
In absolutely no world is he correct to step out there and the cheek of people defending that labelling others as agenda driven.

Do you have to step up as a CB at times? yes but you don't do it in that position with such a huge gap to the attacker. He just had to wait for a few seconds as at the stage you press to limit the shot but also make it harder to play the ball.

Honestly some people go to strange lengths to defend this guy.
Yep, I said that earlier. It’s literally stuff they teach you at school level. Don’t overcommit, don’t expose yourself and make it easy for the striker.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
In regards to that picture of Maguire stepping out and the video of him doing those turns against Atletico

For the first picture there is nothing wrong with Maguire stepping out, in fact it’s good defensive play since we have a man advantage at the back and disadvantage in midfield. If he let the attacker carry on running there would be memes why didn’t he close them down

Now for the video, De Gea’s positioning is so disgraceful. No other keeper sets themselves up like that, at least give an option - make yourself an extra player. It’s something ETH emphasises on so I can’t wait for him to come in and ship DDG. At no point does DDG seem interested in helping Maguire.There’s a reason why we looked so much better with Dean Henderson in goal. Varane also offers no angle to receive the ball and Dalot is being watched by Lodi. If de Gea spaced himself out Maguire would be so much more comfortable there

I’m not allowed to post media but there is a clip going around from Ajax’s recent match how when Ajax’s CB timber has the ball, Onana (their GK) moves quickly offering himself as an option. This causes confusion for the opposition press and also allows them to build up

The agenda against Maguire is so clear to see. I was at the game and every time he brought the ball down nicely or just dribbled the entire stadium because very uneasy to him. Why? He’s very comfortable on the ball and you’re just making more pressure.Varane isn’t as half comfortable and isn’t as good of a passer so its jusr very unfair
I've been saying it for a while now but De Gea has gotten away with a lot because one, his shortcomings are not easily seen. There are things he should be doing that he doesn't and people don't point that out enough. Two, his shot stopping capabilities tend to make people think he's better than he is. The modern Shay Given.

I think Maguire has been abysmal and I've been a critic, but De Gea doesn't help. Vidic and Rio were so good they masked his deficiencies. He himself is so good, his shot stopping masks his deficiencies.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Who on earth is pushing him down your throat?

United in sin

Oh, so any player that plays is 'being pushed down our throats', righto.
I explained why I made that reference. Maguire is having a nightmare of a season and continues to be selected.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I've been saying it for a while now but De Gea has gotten away with a lot because one, his shortcomings are not easily seen. There are things he should be doing that he doesn't and people don't point that out enough. Two, his shot stopping capabilities tend to make people think he's better than he is. The modern Shay Given.

I think Maguire has been abysmal and I've been a critic, but De Gea doesn't help. Vidic and Rio were so good they masked his deficiencies. He himself is so good, his shot stopping masks his deficiencies.
Together for 3 years they have an average of over a goal a game conceded.

Like it or not, they both need to go. Neither of them is good enough on the ball or comfortable in a higher line.

BlackBen

Feck me , this is some real cringe worthy bullshit. This club is a joke at times. Maguire attends youth games, he plays for free, he gives massages to the tea lady, he does this ,he does that , but actually failing to comment on where it actually matters , his on field performance which we all know is shit and that’s why fans are giving him stick.

Shows where we are as a football club, focusing on everything but on field performance. Put some respect on Maguire’s name? What a load of nonsense.

RopersReturn

What the feck is this shit ?
Desperate & trite attempt by officials to drum up support for Maguire.

Whoever takes over in the summer needs to immediately deal with the situation. No single player is bigger than the club, regardless of the ridiculous amount we shelled out for him.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m sure Maguire is a good guy but his performances are not good enough for the club, let alone captain. These PR fluff pieces are embarrassing for everyone involved

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He had a good season in 20/21, and not a good one on 21/22, as almost everyone in the team. It didn't help that we rushed his injury recovery, so I'm not totally sure if he's playing with some physical limitations.
This season is being worst than the Mourinho sacking season, we just hope to be over ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.