Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

Henderson looking like every United fan whenever Maguire had the ball at his feet over the last year.

unitedrulez84

I got the "watching your family member embarrassing you in front of the cool kids" vibe from that.

Mmm-Qatarian

Maguire has had an abysmal season, and I think any talk of there being an "agenda" against him is absolute nonsense, but I have to say we really don't help ourselves when we latch on to out-of-context training clips to lambast one of our own players.

By all means criticise his performance levels this season, but if I filmed every training session and looked hard enough I could find a clip of any player in the world screwing something up. There is no reason for people to make anything out of this clip.

Maguire should know when it’s work time and when it’s joke time.

That being said, I think the criticism of Maguire is getting out of hand. It’s clear he doesn’t fit in with the style of play we are looking to create. The new manager will most probably not use him as a constant starter. I think we need to support all of our players so if he does play then he can give his best performance without the unnecessary pressure of fans on his back.

Wing Attack Plan R

Price tag and armband are distractions. The real debate is whether Maguire is (or was) the best option available at the time who we could reasonably get. I think he's a solid 6 out of 10 level defender. Occasionally hits a 7, but also often hits a 5 or a 4. He was worth a punt, irregardless of price. But he hasn't been good enough. Whether he can improve or get back to solid 7/10 is another debate, and I say no.

Ananke

The look on Hendersons face :lol:

Hendo = me all season.

Maguire looks out of place in that clip, like the kid no one wants to give the ball to at school because they’re rubbish, but you pass it to them to keep them involved as you feel bad.

Then they do that.

led_scholes

Price tag and armband are distractions. The real debate is whether Maguire is (or was) the best option available at the time who we could reasonably get. I think he's a solid 6 out of 10 level defender. Occasionally hits a 7, but also often hits a 5 or a 4. He was worth a punt, irregardless of price. But he hasn't been good enough. Whether he can improve or get back to solid 7/10 is another debate, and I say no.
A solid 6 does not worth the punt of being the most expensive defender in the world.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The state of twitter and this thread when that clip is used as something to attack him.

AFC NimbleThumb

A punt is signing Pellestri, you don’t spend £80mil on a punt. The club don’t have infinite resources, so his fee is very much so integral to any debate about him. If the question is was he the best option at the time you have to ask that question with the £80mm law budget available, we could have bought near enough any other CB with that money bar a few.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Well people are hardly going to use it to defend him. :lol:
If that clip showed anything, it's that Maguire is more adept at using both feet to manipulate the ball, as opposed to the rest who are so averse to holding on to the ball they hot-potatoed it with only one foot whenever it gets to them.

:)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If that clip showed anything, it's that Maguire is more adept at using both feet to manipulate the ball, as opposed to the rest who are so averse to holding on to the ball they hot-potatoed it with only one foot whenever it gets to them.

Feck sake :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

Somehow, this does not make sense.

Worth a punt, at 80m?
He was worth buying, worth finding out if he would be the solution to our defensive woes. It was worth the risk. The price to me is irrelevant: we needed a defender and we got one. The problem for me is that he only does well in a team that sits and counters, which is boring as feck and not how United "should" play.

Stadjer

The state of twitter and this thread when that clip is used as something to attack him.
Well.. he isnt exactly covering himself in glory there.

43 passes made so far so it is pretty clear what they are doing. Would have liked to see it from the start though, how many times Maguire touched it before the clip starts. Still Henderson his reaction says it all, why on earth would Maguire do that? There are only two reasons i can think of that Maguire does what he does : 1) he is absolutely braindead or 2) he feels bad for the person in the middle.

From the way he has been playing this season and some of the things he does on the field (or in Greece, or after scoring against San Marino) i cant rule out option 1.

Tavern in the town

Feel a bit sorry for him tbh, a lot of the reasons he’s such a meme aren’t really his fault. He was never an 80m footballer but we spunked the money on him anyway, then made him the captain to boot. It also doesn’t help that he’s a terrible orator in interviews or that he’s not exceptionally good looking.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Well.. he isnt exactly covering himself in glory there.

43 passes made so far so it is pretty clear what they are doing. Would have liked to see it from the start though, how many times Maguire touched it before the clip starts. Still Henderson his reaction says it all, why on earth would Maguire do that? There are only two reasons i can think of that Maguire does what he does : 1) he is absolutely braindead or 2) he feels bad for the person in the middle.

From the way he has been playing this season and some of the things he does on the field (or in Greece, or after scoring against San Marino) i cant rule out option 1.
More of it is here at 7:35. It's ridiculous to read anything into it whatsoever.

lsd

The Oracle
Feel a bit sorry for him tbh, a lot of the reasons he’s such a meme aren’t really his fault. He was never an 80m footballer but we spunked the money on him anyway, then made him the captain to boot. It also doesn’t help that he’s a terrible orator in interviews or that he’s not exceptionally good looking.

I can recall a lot of people on here thinking 80 million was great business when he signed.

It was just such an awful buy he was never going to improve on what he was doing at Leicester but instead just get even slower and less mobile.

We should take whatever we get for him no matter of of it's a huge loss which it will be.

Keeping him at United next season will do us no good and freshly won't do him any good either.

Phil Jones going into depression over his injuries and fans reactions is a worrying sign for Maguire if he stays at United

ti vu

The "we're Man United, we do whatever feck we want" expression, you say?! :drool:

OmarUnited4ever

He was worth buying, worth finding out if he would be the solution to our defensive woes. It was worth the risk. The price to me is irrelevant: we needed a defender and we got one. The problem for me is that he only does well in a team that sits and counters, which is boring as feck and not how United "should" play.
i get what you mean, especially the fact that the team needed a CB, but even if we accept the fact the the 80M fee has nothing to do with Maguire himself since he didn't decide the price, and Maguire himself should be judged on his performances on the pitch only and the 80M should never be mentioned in relation to his performances, but from the Club's perspective, when they decided to pay 80M for a CB (be it Maguire, VVD, Diaz, or any CB for that matter), an 80M investment on CB is not a punt, but rather a statement signing, the club didn't think Maguire was a punt and worth a risk, they thought he was close to being a "Sure Thing" and worth the 80M fee.

And yes, every transfer carries risks, but sometimes, especially when you pay a huge fee for an established 26yo CB who has played 101 PL games and 15 International games before July 2019, this meant the club viewed Maguire as someone who is as good as a "Sure Thing", not a punt, like 21yo Daniel James at 15M, who had none or very little experience at the top level.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
More of it is here at 7:35. It's ridiculous to read anything into it whatsoever.
I mean he's obviously had a torrid season, but from that clip, it seems more likely he just wanted to stop the play, maybe to mix it up and get someone else in the middle. He gets a couple of one touch passes on point before that and had space, I find it strange that people are twisting it in a certain way.

R'hllor

Didnt VDV had a go at him and people went full butthurt about it, funny how that developed till now.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Didnt VDV had a go at him and people went full butthurt about it, funny how that developed till now.
The dutch know what's it about.
The day we signed him most of them knew how bad of a transfer it was

Status
Not open for further replies.