Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Had a nightmare both on the ball and off it, think its safe to say he wasnt right to be picked in this match and if we had quality on the bench he should have been replaced. But we didnt

AFC NimbleThumb

Rushed back for sure but overrated as well, he reminded me today of a boxer who's got up from a knockout he was that poor. Maguire and AWB cost £130 million but have huge drawbacks in ability and speed. Ole should have seen he's in no shape and pretty much admitted it was a mistake in bringing him back like that post match

Like I said though when people were praising him around the Europa final and afterwards in how good he was. He played in many poor games like away to Roma where we got our arses smacked, should've been 8-2 to Roma, De Gea was in god rebound mode. Maguire all over the shop against Istanbul and many more. He's a solid enough PL player that can head you out of danger at times and can go long without injury but needs time to get back to fitness, he's slow when fit and can be exposed. last season when we got smashed by Spurs 6-1 6-2 or whatever he was again making silly mistakes, very slow and getting drawn in, he had the court case still on going but again looks very shaky for most of this season. Varane and Lindelof look the best combo. Harry is not helping keeping the goals out in the last 12-18 months, we have a shocking goals against and he looks awful many times in embarrassing defeats.
The bolded part really isn’t highlighted enough. He’s had so many poor displays & moments but for some reason people’s memories don’t work with him as they do with other squad members.

He was at the time & has proven to be, a poor allocation of funds. Decent EPL CB, elevated when played in a 3 but nowhere near good enough 1-on-1 for the top level, his positioning for their 4th goal was unforgivable but he’ll have a decent game against a Newcastle then people will forget the dross.

Acole9

Outstanding
He had a mare yesterday. But he clearly wasn't fit and was rushed back.

Andersons Dietician

3rd best CB at the club now for sure. The first goal was bad, but the Vardy goal was even worse. Thats not fitness sharpness issues, that’s simply making a dumbass decision like he so often does. His positioning has always been bad but yesterday was next level bad.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Very very bad performance from him, he didn’t look fit. Was he rushed back?

People on here love to jump on him though. He was by far our best defender in a good season last year after the poor start. Look how our season fell apart when he was missing. I’m still confident him and Varane will be a good pairing

Ralph1386

Obviously he was nowhere near match sharp and shouldn't have been played.
He clearly wasn't match-fit. Who is more at fault in this situation? The player who wasn't ready, or the manager who started him and fed him to the wolves when he had just come out of injury?

I understand some people say Ole doesn't trust Bailly but he trusts Maguire. Yet for all of this supposed "trust" that Ole has for him, he was at fault for most of the goals conceeded. I'd be curious to see how much worse the players that he doesn't "trust" would have done.

lsd

The Oracle
The excuses just go on and on. Waiting for someone to say it was windy next and the wind pushed him out of position so he couldn't move forward

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Get rid of Lukaku and then buy the Lukaku of Defenders

we're fecking cursed

Andersons Dietician

What was he even doing?
You know in cartoons when someone tells the guard ok don’t get distracted. Then a butterfly or something lands on their nose, flutters around their head then flys off distracting the them. I would like to think this is what happened to him a few times yesterday and if someone could photoshop that in to the two day dreaming incidents that would be great.

Anything else and I’m going to get ranty about how he is prone to these brainless moments.

SAFMUTD

He was shit yesterday truly shit. Still a solid defender and under a new manager he'll come better.

red4ever 79

He clearly wasn't match-fit. Who is more at fault in this situation? The player who wasn't ready, or the manager who started him and fed him to the wolves when he had just come out of injury?

I understand some people say Ole doesn't trust Bailly but he trusts Maguire. Yet for all of this supposed "trust" that Ole has for him, he was at fault for most of the goals conceeded. I'd be curious to see how much worse the players that he doesn't "trust" would have done.
Bailly just signed a new 4 year deal didnt he.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

I imagine Ole asked him "do you feel ready?" And Maguire said he was, so he played him. A player worth his salt will always want to play so Ole should have had some balls and taken the decision away from him and let him train for a week for Liverpool.

Conjecture, but that's how I imagine it went.

lloyd2wayne

What an average defender he is. He’s been average since Hull, Leicester and here. The hype around this guy is very hard to understand. What about him screams a great defender? because he can clear the ball with his head waywardly? There no aim to his heading whether it’s defending or attacking. His ball playing abilities are overrated. Bailey, Varane, Lindelof are all better with ball on their feet.

There are no great defenders in England so the one how is a little good is overhyped. I mean the England defenders are Stones who can’t get a game at City, fecking Mings, Coady etc.

I will take Ogbonna, Rudiger, Matip, Dunk over Maguire any day of the week. I will literally pick 20 defenders in the premier league before him. He plays like he owns the place when he’s not even that good and that’s what baffles my mind. A weak wannabe captain.

Before people use injury as an excuse, he’s been shit all season and has never ever been consistent since we signed him and to give him the captaincy was a very big joke.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that this level of atrociousness was because he was rushed back when he shouldn't have been starting yet (Ole does have history with that unfortunately with Rashford and Pogba being obvious cases), but he has been poor all season.

I was hoping that the second half of last season was the start of him becoming a consistently dominating force in our backline, but the start of this season has gone straight downhill again. If he continues playing like this I hope Ole does give Lindelof the chance to stake his claim when Varane returns.

littleman

I am befuddled at why people even talk about Maguire's ability to bring the ball out when he literally just runs up to the midfield point with the ball and.. that's bringing it out..?

There was also dumb praise for Rio about his abilities but it never came close to DM level on the ball.

I think when we look at Chiellini, Bonnuci or Carvalho then those really count as elite on-ball level for defenders. Chiellini at 37 outplayed the entire England defense at the Euro finals, in the second half and in extra time he basically played as an LCM of sorts and play maked.

There's such a gulf and we've been desperate to call our defense great. We don't have a single defender that combines those qualities.. if we had one who defended like Varane but played forward like Lindelof, then maybe.

As it stands I'm confident history will not remember Maguire 2018-2021 as any sort of phenom defender, certainly not at the level of Rio/Vidic/Terry/VVD.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What an average defender he is. He’s been average since Hull, Leicester and here. The hype around this guy is very hard to understand. What about him screams a great defender? because he can clear the ball with his head waywardly? There no aim to his heading whether it’s defending or attacking. His ball playing abilities are overrated. Bailey, Varane, Lindelof are all better with ball on their feet.

There are no great defenders in England so the one how is a little good is overhyped. I mean the England defenders are Stones who can’t get a game at City, fecking Mings, Coady etc.

I will take Ogbonna, Rudiger, Matip, Dunk over Maguire any day of the week. I will literally pick 20 defenders in the premier league before him. He plays like he owns the place when he’s not even that good and that’s what baffles my mind. A weak wannabe captain.

Before people use injury as an excuse, he’s been shit all season and has never ever been consistent since we signed him and to give him the captaincy was a very big joke.
To be fair he was good last season, and has a really great Euro tournament in summer. But for some unknown reason, he has been playing like the worst CB in the league this season, and resemble the likes of a sunday league defender at times.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I am befuddled at why people even talk about Maguire's ability to bring the ball out when he literally just runs up to the midfield point with the ball and.. that's bringing it out..?

There was also dumb praise for Rio about his abilities but it never came close to DM level on the ball.
To be fair Maguire is very good at finding our fullbacks/wingers in space out wide. A lot of our good attacking moves start when he finds Shaw or Rashford in good positions on the left. He doesn't really do it to the right, but whether that's because of Maguire's limitations or whether it's because the well-documented limitations of our right side attack, I'm not sure.

Other than that I do agree he's nothing special on the ball. He's a surprisingly good dribbler considering his build, but he rarely actually uses it so there's no real point mentioning it.

Lindelof is kind of the opposite. Most of his passing is also nothing special, but the one thing he is very good at are those long balls down the middle of the field that drop in between the defenders and the keeper.

As for Rio, he was strange in that his ball-playing abilities massively declined as he got older. He started off very good. Even by the mid-point of his career (in what was otherwise his prime years) he was only 'good' at best, and then by the end of his career he was downright average.

Last edited:

lex talionis

The flogging of Maguire here is way over the top, but going into the game yesterday Harry should have told the manager he wasn't fit to play. That's a failure of leadership that's no doubt spawned by desperately wanting to help the club -- but when you're not fit you need to own up to it. There's no dishonor in that whatsoever.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I hope the tw*ts heaping abuse on Maguire and granting us the benefit of their football knowledge are spotty 14 year olds. He is a decent defender, a worthy captain. Ole at fault for playing him when he was clearly not fit.

TsuWave

fecking shocking. United should use what is left of its influence, if any, to push for a refund policy.

80Ms of the queen’s finest. I’ll never get over it.

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The flogging of Maguire here is way over the top, but going into the game yesterday Harry should have told the manager he wasn't fit to play. That's a failure of leadership that's no doubt spawned by desperately wanting to help the club -- but when you're not fit you need to own up to it. There's no dishonor in that whatsoever.
Eh, no. He’s made himself available when Varane is out despite not being 100% fit. That shows a ridiculous amount of commitment. The blame lies squarely with Solskjaer for picking a player that had only started training on grass 24 hours before the game.

TSE123

Highly overrated (only in England). Equally shared blame with Ole for starting if unfit. He’s an adult and a professional, if he says he is fit or agrees to play then he should be expected to perform.
His one strength that is far above average is aerial play (maybe not yeaterday, but normally). The rest is average.

A-man

The mistakes he made at some of the goals cannot be blamed on fitness imo. Look at the video posted how he acted at the last goal. Or the giveaway at the first goal. Has nothing to do with fitness. It’s simply very bad form atm. Our defence was poor also when he played with Varane, just that they mainly played middle to lower table teams.

red4ever 79

Eh, no. He’s made himself available when Varane is out despite not being 100% fit. That shows a ridiculous amount of commitment. The blame lies squarely with Solskjaer for picking a player that had only started training on grass 24 hours before the game.
100% agree with you. Upto the manager to make those calls. Unfortunately we have a manager who believes a player can play elite level football after one training session

Foxbatt

Now if it was SAF I do not think he would have played him but certainly now because he is under the cosh, he would have sent him on leave to relax for a week or so. I remember him sending big Pete to the West Indies for a break.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I appreciate people are saying he was rushed back, but he surely has to have some responsibility for putting himself forward to play when he clearly was way off it?

Moriarty

I think he's the wrong man to wear the captain's armband. He doesn't, in my opinion, show leadership qualities. Both Bruce and Vidic captained United from the middle of the defence and each led by example. I can't remember either player going missing during a match and both were always in the thick of the action, shouting and organizing. Look at videos of these two in action; always looking and anticipating not only what the opposition players were doing, but their own team mates. I don't see Maguire doing much of that, at least consistently.

Last edited:

jasT1981

Bah, video deleted. Showing a view of 4th goal from stands. He just stood there letting the defender go past

Status
Not open for further replies.