Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alejandro Angel

Thought he was very good tonight to be honest,
Didn't put a foot wrong and the own goal wasn't really his fault, he had to play the ball and wasn't to know the player was offside.
Was solid throughout.
What he made a couple of good tackles but then gave the ball away, and he needed to go for the ball for the own goal so not blaming him too much for that. But his passing was really poor too slow and his back passes to De Gea were shocking he also needs to move to get a return pass but he just points. He is done here, Ashley Young was twice the Captain he has been and I was never a fan of his

Jev

I've been as critical of him as anyone. But people suggesting he should have been aware of a toenail offside and therefore should have let that ball go is utterly ridiculous, agenda-driven nonsense.

He was decent today. Unlucky for the OG, could have happened to anyone.

Longshanks

The reason he put it in the net was he was as usual too slow and reaching for it.

A better defender doesn't do that but Maguire will always make the mistake
Varane loses his duel with kane, dalot plays regullion onside, and the only reason maguire has to dive in there is de gea is a complete coward inside his own six yard box.

But you know, maguire is very flavour of the month in terms of blame so its all his fault and he's shit obviously.

lex talionis

Maguire can’t be blamed for not letting ball go free into the box, but he has to clear the ball properly.

The United

I thought he was decent. I also thought our defense display in this game had a lot more to do with our FBs and Tommy not sitting in front of the defense.

And of course Pogba.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Unfortunately for him at United we expect flawless performances and he is incapable.

He was good today but at the end of the day he scores on his own net. Sums him up - good defender but miles behind the elite with a frequent mistake in him.

The club's fault for spanking 80 mill and ridiculously anointing a new signing captain.

Jerry Garcia

The own goal aside he was average at best today. There are so many issues every single game. He’s constantly over aggressive in the challenge, especially when the striker is playing with his back to goal.

Maguire was lucky today that Moss was being lenient. There were a few times today where he was grabbing Kane almost like a rugby challenge. That happens so much with him.

People in this thread who are complaining no one can be objective when it comes to Maguire are correct. Maguire is objectively shite and the worst captain we’ve had in my lifetime.

That moment when he checked on Kane first over Pogba sums him up perfectly. Can’t stand his weak mentality and his mediocrity. Hopefully when a new manager comes in he’ll sort out the Maguire situation quickly.

United in sin

I know that everyone is going to be all over Maguire for the own goal, but what is he supposed to do there? If he doesn't try to block the cross Tottenham has a tap in. It was unlucky and there will be over reactions because it's Maguire and people are just looking for reasons to hate on him. I'm more concerned at how Tottenham got into that area so easily. Maguire played well today and was unlucky on that play...
Sure thing Harry, you'll get another chance in midweek since club politics is on your side

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Far from his worst performance in recent times but the fact that even then it ends with an own goal sums up the torrid season he's having. When he's not bad he's unlucky.

OL29

In isolation, the own goal was an unfortunate incident, but in combination with the weekly mistakes he’s been making all season, you have to conclude he’s a complete calamity.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What he made a couple of good tackles but then gave the ball away, and he needed to go for the ball for the own goal so not blaming him too much for that. But his passing was really poor too slow and his back passes to De Gea were shocking he also needs to move to get a return pass but he just points. He is done here, Ashley Young was twice the Captain he has been and I was never a fan of his
Disagree entirely,

He always looks for the ball, his passing is dictated by the movement in front of him, it was much better than usual today.
Was solid today and played well

finneh

If our next manager comes in and thinks
like that we are doomed. It better be because he is the best option we have.
I'd go one step further. A key interview question with a potential new manager should be "who will you make captain" and "what would be your first choice centre half partnership".

If Maguire is in either answer we move on to the next candidate.

Caesar2290

I've never seen such an underwhelming captain wear the United jersey. Even Young and Valencia looked more solid than he does. Every match is a mistake waiting to happen with him and today is no exception.

I just wish Newcastle would put in a bid for him so they can take him off our hands and we can move on from him

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
WTF are you talking about? The guy who crossed it was Dalot's man. He was nowhere near him. Maguire tries to block a cross and gets unlucky. If he's back more than they just do a cut back pass. I get that you are looking for reasons to hate on him, but try and use some critical thinking without bias
Why would i hate United player? Or even try to find a way to hate any of them? I don't hate or dislike any our player. I look at them only based on how they perform. Maguire is one of our players who is not good enough for playing in big club. And that is it.

Also, that luck term is so overused in football. Striker misses a chance; unlucky. Midfielder gets yellow card; unlucky. Defender scores og; unlucky. All that is not lack of luck. It is about quality.

Redlyn

I honestly didn't see much wrong today - unlucky with the own-goal. Wished he'd slapped that bastard Romero.
So he can get red carded and miss the next 3 games? I see what you did there...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why would i hate United player? Or even try to find a way to hate any of them? I don't hate or dislike any our player. I look at them only based on how they perform. Maguire is one of our players who is not good enough for playing in big club. And that is it.

Also, that luck term is so overused in football. Striker misses a chance; unlucky. Midfielder gets yellow card; unlucky. Defender scores og; unlucky. All that is not lack of luck. It is about quality.
yeah ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

He should have run up to Romero after Ronaldo got the third and screamed in his face with real passion, that would have been good (if a little small time), but he's just too sensible.

Pearl.Jam

Deservedly had a lot of criticism this season but the vitriol aimed at him because of the OG is ridiculous, ball coming across the box towards you, of course you’re going to attempt to stop it, how the fvck he was meant to know the guy behind him was offside and imagine the abuse he’d get if he just left it and the guy behind wasn’t offside and had a tap in? He’s been poor all season and not captain material but today i thought he played well

CloneMC16

Maguire wasn't bad today. There wasn't much more he could do with that ball across the box. If he leaves it, and the guy behind him is onside, everybody criticises him. He had no choice but to try and stop the cross. It was unfortunate.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So all own goals are a mistake and has nothing to do with being unlucky. got it
You didn't get it as I've literally said that mistake and unluckiness do not contradict each other. It's usually a combination of the two — a better defender would've had a better chance of clearing that, Maguire was clumsy as well as unlucky.

Roboc7

He was ok today, OG was unfortunate but it does happen. We made a huge mistake buying him, by now we should have realised and be trying to move on sooner rather than later. Even when he’s ok he just has so many limitations that will always impact how team can defend.

The Dane

Maguire is not a Captain and that should be clear to everyone by now. He is not a natural Leader and he is not a star player. The sooner he is stripped of the armband the better. I even think that his performance might improve if he is released from that burden, and he can concentrate 100% on his game and maybe learn a thing or two from Varane, instead of him being made to believe that he is one of the best CB’s in the world, just because we were stupid enough to pay a world record fee for him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His defending is actually just so bad. Out of possession he is constantly out of position. At his best, he's a decent CB and he does provide value off the ball... But the guy has forgotten how to defend and he's a huge liability.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Some here... just need to find a scapegoat every game.

I would just question his ability if this was happening on regular basis, or like with that "unlucky" lady with a a hattrick of them, but this is just ridiculous and unfortunately just shows the level of intelligence here..

Last edited by a moderator:

ti vu

Varane loses his duel with kane, dalot plays regullion onside, and the only reason maguire has to dive in there is de gea is a complete coward inside his own six yard box.

But you know, maguire is very flavour of the month in terms of blame so its all his fault and he's shit obviously.
Laughable attempt to wash Maguire off the responsibility.

Go check Maguire position when the ball was played to Kane in a more complete sequence. Starting from 31st second in this clip.

2-2 Arry OG

Maguire dumbfoundedly followed that ginger Swede too far up the pitch for no good reason. That guy would be picked up by our midfielders like Matic and Elanga easily if he's to receive a pass. Going so high up the pitch, Maguire left acres of space in his defending zone, and by the time he realized he needed to drop his mark, it's too late as Maguire found himself in no man land. Then his awful tactical awareness kicked in. He ball watched instead of assessing his situation around him.

So Maguire got strung along go chasing and reacting Spurs passing sequence once the long pass to Kane well in motion. Maguire went into panic mode and spread that disorganization around. Kane held up the ball but blocked by Varane to have any progressive option going straightforward at our goal: Maguire still overran backward behind anyone for a second. How exactly Varane lost a duel to Kane here? Varane was on the wrong side of Kane because the ball was played into area left by Maguire, that angle wise favored to Kane. An unnecessary overcommitting tackle would result in a cheap foul, or replicate a Maguire special against Burnley. Kane is no Lukaku with a loose touch and bad hold up play. He was unplayable to Man City CBs with his hold up play not long ago.

Maguire's position right this moment means that Telles and Dalot had to adjust their position too, according to Maguire as lowest defender in the line; instead of holding their step in according to the play: pushing Tottenham out of our box, and playing a offside trap outside the penalty box. This has a domino effect in Fred having to cover the pocket of space just in front of and between our of last defenders, instead of being alert to Son's position.

Next he reacted to Kane layoff for Romero and again overstepped while ball watching. And continued to ball watch from when the pass played into Son, to Son taking 2 extra touches, and releasing the pass. No awareness of Romero movement, nor tactical responsibility to organize the defence around him, as a captain and last line defender.

Going frame by frame, it could have as well been Maguire, who potentially played Reguilon on side, in case the goal went into VAR review.

So, even when ignoring and excusing the unfortunate own goal clearance attempt, it's still a shitshow all round from Maguire this sequence of play. Terrible tactical awareness. Can't read the play even when his team mates around him bought him time to correct himself. Slow even in reactive mode. That in turn negates his organizing skill (if it is a thing) and the captain authority given to him. He just played as another individual in this defensive unit, and a bad one at it.

It's rich to throw DDG under the bus in this sequence of play. DDG had no need to step up at all at any time during this sequence. If he positioned himself higher, he would do a Henderson, opening up the goal for Son, Reguilon to have a shot, in which it would become a schoolboy GK error, even if no goal conceded.

Last edited:

Tarrou

yeah I don't think we can blame him for the OG, I'm just glad Ronny bailed him out because that would've crushed his confidence further

SirMonteyne

despite OG, he was out of position a few times. If it wasn't spurs, that out-positions could have cost us. Solid 5/10 performance

Abraxas

The OG was simply unfortunate. I was not peturbed by that from him. However, we did not defend well and he played his part in that. Not outrageously so, but I don't think anyone stood out defensively in what was a poor collective showing. So I can't really say he played well or even well either.

TSE123

Surely now, even after a win, EVERYONE can see that maguire is rubbish!? The goal aside, look at his positioning. Study it for a game! He doesnt know where he should be or what he should do!

gza the genius

I like that we're at the point with him now where every game people come in here to say "aside from the goal or two that was 100% his fault I thought he was pretty solid". He genuinely should be the first to go this summer, whatever it takes. I can't believe he's still starting most games and is still our captain.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He played well today. Aggressive on Kane every time he got it into feet and looked to play Son in, which we as a team prevented really well. He has to go for the own goal and shit happens. It’s his best spell of the season and he might be finding a bit of form, but our fans won’t see that because they’ve already decided that he’s shit and they don’t like him

Status
Not open for further replies.