Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

He'll end up at any other club and regain some form.He's the classic case of not handling the pressure at Manchester United.Never captain material by the way.
He’s a classic case of just being crap. He ain’t not Diego Forlan. He’s Djemba Djemba.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought this was a wind up but it's there pinned on his Twitter page.

I'm gonna put this up again:

The guy also said stopping Liverpool from getting the quad did not even come into his thinking before the game. Then he sends out Fernandes to do the post match.

The guy's deluded and clearly believes he is not the problem. The fecker has to go. No way should be captain a second longer. That is what's boiling my piss the most.
He thinks a couple of long passes under no pressure, at home against Norwich City, is retweet-able worthy. That's the standards of the Manchester United captain nowadays, people.

What was it Mourinho said? "You can tell me his passes are amazing – yes, they are amazing, but my passes are also amazing without pressure."

jem

He was good in his first season here, then very-very good in his 2nd and the EUROs...when you're a constant scapegoat even 1 bad game is enough for people to come at you, let alone a whole bad season. People are just so pathetic. The noise will die down after we get going under ten Hag and everyone is performing well, including Maguire. That will last until he makes 1 single mistake resulting in a goal when everyone will again act like he's been bad all these years. :lol:
complete exaggeration. He was good for the second half of last season.

bugmat

First goal - where do you think our midfield should be?

Second goal - Mané made about three sharp movements in the space of a second. How can any centre back stay tight? It's not possible.

Fourth totally agree.
First goal - If he stays in position and leave Mane high then the most Mane can do is play a pass which he has a chance of cutting out, or try to dribble towards our box. Stay deep and he can help Dalot who has 2 men (due to Elanga not tracking) and also allow Pogba time to come over (which may not happen but that's still a less dangerous situation). Instead he hesitates and is caught doing neither - pressuring Mane or staying deep as instructed. Pogba should be over there to pressure Mane Dalot should have been tighter to his mark, Elanga should have tracked his, but just because that doesn't happen does not absolve Maguire of making a bad situation even worse. What he does leaves Dalot outnumberd AND now creates a massive gap for the ball to be passed into. Stay where he was originally and he can at least challenge the pass or the receiver.

Second goal - world class CBs can do it (which he thinkgs he is). So what if Mane makes 3 sharp movements? All strikers do this to get free - the best defenders can stick with them closely enough to put in a block, cut out te pass etc. The movements are are all around the penalty spot and being in the box by himself when a pass is made, and maguire is nowhere near him but is isntead dropping into his 6 yard box to spectate, is a crime.

TsuWave

I don't think I was ever as frustrated by Smalling as I am by this guy.

bugmat

I’m as upset and angry as anyone else. However, right now I’m feeling abit sorry for him. The guy has become a walking meme. He is trying to give his all but he is just not good enough. So I don’t share the same anger towards him like some of the other players who aren’t bothered to even try and don’t give a shit. I don’t think he isn’t trying. He is but he is out of his depth. Neither he chose to be the captain nor he picks himself so I don’t understand the same vitriol towards him.

I watched his interview and you can clearly see he is petrified. He is exposed brutally and that’s taking it’s toll on his performances even more. I know he’s made some stupid mistakes like cupping his ears against Albania and that’s his fault. But I don’t believe he doesn’t give a feck. He clearly wants to succeed but he just doesn’t have mental fortitude or the talent so he is trying to protect himself right now.

I’m more angry at Ole and the club to be honest. Maguire didn’t decide his price tag. He didn’t decide to be the captain. Ole and the club did. Making him the captain was his biggest mistake. Ole put him and us in this position, that’s not his fault. He wasn’t good enough before and amidst all these terrible performances and scrutiny given his price tag and being a captain has completely broken him. He has become a laughing stock and I don’t think he can come back from this so I just hope we cut our cords with him in the summer and we both can move on from this nightmare.
Ole is definitely the biggest culprit in the Saga of 'Arry. Maguire isnt and never was good enough or worth 80m, but we had to have him and had to have him as cpatain at that. When we were a counteratttacking team it suited him as most times he was in the box, and protected by McT & Fred (see England and their back 3 and 2 DM).

Trying to be expansive as Ole did last August has exposed all his limitations. It also shows we cannot have him as a starter if we ever want to eat at the top table again, because teams that rely on counterattacking only don't win leagues. They come 2nd at best by a 20+ point gap playing unsustainable football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People that are still making excuses for him are deluded. Blinded by the confusion of always supporting the players no matter what.

The proof is there in every goal we concede. He simply just isn’t good enough. Just like Dan James was eventually ousted so will Maguire.

I’m almost certain he will feck it up big time at the world cup this winter and that’ll be the end of him at the top level.

lex talionis

You gotta love Harry’s apologists here. They’re definitely a minority, but still shocking.

JeffFromHK

You gotta love Harry’s apologists here. They’re definitely a minority, but still shocking.
Yes, even his so called 1.5 "good seasons" with our club was only as good as Wes Brown's shift at RB in 2007-2008 - Decent, but no way world class or even close to world class (he hasn't even been close to being the best XI of PL in any seasons he played in, which our "2nd tier" players like Fletcher, Young, Nani, Valencia, etc managed to achieve), and we conceded more than 1 goal per game during the time period

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was good in his first season here, then very-very good in his 2nd and the EUROs...when you're a constant scapegoat even 1 bad game is enough for people to come at you, let alone a whole bad season. People are just so pathetic. The noise will die down after we get going under ten Hag and everyone is performing well, including Maguire. That will last until he makes 1 single mistake resulting in a goal when everyone will again act like he's been bad all these years. :lol:
That’s not true.

He is decent in his first season, but a joke in the first few months of last season, and then turns out good in 2nd half of last season. His peak is Euro last summer for England, one of best CB in tournament. Then this season, he has been a fecking crown in many games and by far one of the worst starting CB in league.

1st season: 6.5/10 (decent but not up to price tag)
2nd season (1st half): 5/10 (terrible)
2nd season (2nd half): 7.5/10 (good)
Euro: 8/10 (one of best in tournament)
3rd season: 4/10 (a fecking joke)

RedDevilQuebecois

As complete and scathing of an assessment as it can be. There is also a warning about what the next manager will have to do next with Maguire.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
That’s not true.

He is decent in his first season, but a joke in the first few months of last season, and then turns out good in 2nd half of last season. His peak is Euro last summer for England, one of best CB in tournament. Then this season, he has been a fecking crown in many games and by far one of the worst starting CB in league.

1st season: 6.5/10 (decent but not up to price tag)
2nd season (1st half): 5/10 (terrible)
2nd season (2nd half): 7.5/10 (good)
Euro: 8/10 (one of best in tournament)
3rd season: 4/10 (a fecking joke)
Was he really though? He was already making mistakes less than 2 months in. And people were starting with the ' Lindelof is not a good enough of partner for him'...
Go back to his performance thread of his first season. Look the match threadmarks and see some of the negative comments. Same things that people were concerned about him are happening now on a daily basis.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
First goal - If he stays in position and leave Mane high then the most Mane can do is play a pass which he has a chance of cutting out, or try to dribble towards our box. Stay deep and he can help Dalot who has 2 men (due to Elanga not tracking) and also allow Pogba time to come over (which may not happen but that's still a less dangerous situation). Instead he hesitates and is caught doing neither - pressuring Mane or staying deep as instructed. Pogba should be over there to pressure Mane Dalot should have been tighter to his mark, Elanga should have tracked his, but just because that doesn't happen does not absolve Maguire of making a bad situation even worse. What he does leaves Dalot outnumberd AND now creates a massive gap for the ball to be passed into. Stay where he was originally and he can at least challenge the pass or the receiver.
The first goal encapsulated the problems with United. Midfielders don't track their runners and don't communicate to pass players on when they're injured. The left hand side of the team doesn't track its runners, the right-hand side drops off and retreats to the comfort zone of their penalty box. Meanwhile, Maguire ends up caught in no-man's land, stuck between pro-actively stepping up to resolve a problem not of his own making, and stepping off in a way he's instinctively more accustomed to do. Comes from the top with the lack of clarity on strategy that sees a high-line defender recruited to play next to a penalty-box defender.
Ole is definitely the biggest culprit in the Saga of 'Arry. Maguire isnt and never was good enough or worth 80m, but we had to have him and had to have him as cpatain at that. When we were a counteratttacking team it suited him as most times he was in the box, and protected by McT & Fred (see England and their back 3 and 2 DM).

Trying to be expansive as Ole did last August has exposed all his limitations. It also shows we cannot have him as a starter if we ever want to eat at the top table again, because teams that rely on counterattacking only don't win leagues. They come 2nd at best by a 20+ point gap playing unsustainable football.
The other problem was running him into the ground before and after the Euros. He got next to no recovery time and was selected repeatedly early in the season, despite continuing to make mistakes due to his nervous system and decision-making abilities being totally fried.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m as upset and angry as anyone else. However, right now I’m feeling abit sorry for him. The guy has become a walking meme. He is trying to give his all but he is just not good enough. So I don’t share the same anger towards him like some of the other players who aren’t bothered to even try and don’t give a shit. I don’t think he isn’t trying. He is but he is out of his depth. Neither he chose to be the captain nor he picks himself so I don’t understand the same vitriol towards him.

I watched his interview and you can clearly see he is petrified. He is exposed brutally and that’s taking it’s toll on his performances even more. I know he’s made some stupid mistakes like cupping his ears against Albania and that’s his fault. But I don’t believe he doesn’t give a feck. He clearly wants to succeed but he just doesn’t have mental fortitude or the talent so he is trying to protect himself right now.

I’m more angry at Ole and the club to be honest. Maguire didn’t decide his price tag. He didn’t decide to be the captain. Ole and the club did. Making him the captain was his biggest mistake. Ole put him and us in this position, that’s not his fault. He wasn’t good enough before and amidst all these terrible performances and scrutiny given his price tag and being a captain has completely broken him. He has become a laughing stock and I don’t think he can come back from this so I just hope we cut our cords with him in the summer and we both can move on from this nightmare.
One of the very rare good posts in this thread.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The first goal encapsulated the problems with United. Midfielders don't track their runners and don't communicate to pass players on when they're injured. The left hand side of the team doesn't track its runners, the right-hand side drops off and retreats to the comfort zone of their penalty box. Meanwhile, Maguire ends up caught in no-man's land, stuck between pro-actively stepping up to resolve a problem not of his own making, and stepping off in a way he's instinctively more accustomed to do. Comes from the top with the lack of clarity on strategy that sees a high-line defender recruited to play next to a penalty-box defender.

The other problem was running him into the ground before and after the Euros. He got next to no recovery time and was selected repeatedly early in the season, despite continuing to make mistakes due to his nervous system and decision-making abilities being totally fried.
Two on the same page!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
As complete and scathing of an assessment as it can be. There is also a warning about what the next manager will have to do next with Maguire.

There's loads of stuff out there on him at the moment. The guy's finished. Heaven help him if Rangnick starts him at the Emirates.

el3mel

Because Smalling was a far better player (and it's questionable whether Smalling was up to the required standard.)
Indeed. Smalling was faster and had a fight in him. He was also better in set pieces. It's crazy but this is what it is. Smalling was more dependable when it came to defending.

joedirt87

tifo just did a video about how almost nothing has improved under Rangnick and compared the two Liverpool games, and boy does it go pretty hard on how terrible Maguire was in the game.

Irwin99

Good post. I've kind of refrained from mentioning the Ole bit because, like Jose, if you mention his name on here it's like declaring world war 3 with both sides rushing to the fight. I can only assume the club/Ole wanted him to be a Bruce or a Vidic type leader from the back and just got the character assessment horribly wrong. The abuse he's getting though is horrible and no deserves that.

Disagree that we can hope he'll leave in the summer: I just can't see it happening. The best thing for the club is to take him out of the firing line, give him an opportunity to recover then assess his form next season under a new manager and a fresh start. Give the captaincy to someone else too- a new manager is the perfect excuse to get that burden off him.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
I'm tempted to say Maguire's second half of last season was better than Luiz ever played in a two man central defence, but that might just be because I didn't watch Luiz play enough. My impression is that he was generally great with three at the back, but was always shaky in a normal back four. Would you agree?

However, that half a season is the only time Maguire's got close to that level, so outside of that period I'd probably take even a shaky Luiz as his upside was better.
I would almost certainly agree with that. Luiz's biggest holes in his game were his lapse of judgment and his lack of positional sense. We never looked super solid with him in a two-man CB partnership under Benitez and Mourinho, with the latter often using him at DM instead.

Luiz in a 3 however under Conte, particularly the season we won the league was genuinely sensational. The defensive structure was set up to mitigate his weaknesses, while his aggressive, "sweeper-like" playstyle and ball-playing abilities really shone through.

The level he played at that year was better than any level Maguire has shown (even more than Maguire in a 3 for England). Having said that, the level of Maguire in the second half of last season playing in a 2-man partnership was higher than Luiz in any two-man partnership.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Indeed. Smalling was faster and had a fight in him. He was also better in set pieces. It's crazy but this is what it is. Smalling was more dependable when it came to defending.
If we're focusing purely on defensive ability, Smalling was comfortably the best central defender we've had since Rio and Vidic left. His peak (the 15/16 season) was higher than anybody else has had, and his average performance level was also the best. He certainly had shaky matches here and there, but every other defender we've had has had the same and more.

It's unfortunate that his on-the-ball ability was so poor. With the way that Ole had us playing we probably would have been better off with Smalling in there (although injuries were starting to take their toll), but obviously he would have no place in a ETH team next season.

el3mel

If we're focusing purely on defensive ability, Smalling was comfortably the best central defender we've had since Rio and Vidic left. His peak (the 15/16 season) was higher than anybody else has had, and his average performance level was also the best. He certainly had shaky matches here and there, but every other defender we've had has had the same and more.

It's unfortunate that his on-the-ball ability was so poor. With the way that Ole had us playing we probably would have been better off with Smalling in there (although injuries were starting to take their toll), but obviously he would have no place in a ETH team next season.
That's the crazy thing. We spent 80m and got a player who's inferior to Smalling in defending, instead of upgrading. Ridiculous but it's typical from Man United I guess.

Mmm-Qatarian

Honestly, he needs time out of the team in my view. He probably also needs to have the captaincy taken off him. I don't think the armband is doing him any favours right now.

To me, it's pretty obvious the guy is completely bereft of confidence. He's been absolutely shite this season but he was equally really good throughout most of last season, despite the rocky start. Quite a few knowledgeable people were even making a case that he was one of the five highest performing centre backs in the league. He has gone from that to being completely godawful, which to me is due to a combination of the system around him falling apart (basically everyone has also been terrible this season) and his confidence being through the floor.

Now, I'm sure I'll get slated for being "deluded" on here by people who have always thought Maguire was crap, but to my mind this has probably come about because of the immense levels of pressure placed on him by two factors that were ultimately out of his control: the ridiculous, world-record setting price tag and the decision to make him captain after just six months at the club. This is all a very heavy load for somebody who had previously just been Leicester City's primary centre-half to handle, and this is especially true now that some fans are essentially holding him solely accountable for the mess we're in right now because he's the captain (this is entirely unfair, by the way).

To summarise what I've just said, I'd say it's pretty damn clear that Maguire's stress levels are through the roof. The guy was a good defender bought in at an absolutely insane fee to be the saviour of our crumbling defence and then to top it off he was also prematurely handed the captaincy of one of the most high-pressure football clubs in the world. Even in some of the actions that have made him look a bit of a tit recently, like the interview or the ear-cupping, I think it's clear to see that this is a guy desperately trying to convince himself that he can handle the pressure. We can't go back on the transfer fee now, but I do think it'd be beneficial for all parties if we gave the armband to someone more suited to the pressure that comes with it (Ronaldo is probably the best candidate) and took Maguire out of the firing line for a while.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
There really are some stupid people about. Feck's sake!
and people who maybe arent so stupid but who constantly publicly criticise players dont help. You can criticise them but feck me stop going on about how horrible they are because shit like this happens. @Howson1999 or whatever his account is has been brutal with him on Youtube

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I actually think that stepping up is his instinctive approach, not the opposite — he's really aggressive in his playing style. The issue is that he's simply not good enough at judging the situation and does it literally all the time. When he's on form and United isn't on a downward spiral it can look great (one such game was his debut against Chelsea), but he's a calamity at this moment who can't even commit to his decision fully — while his positional awareness was always questionable. So him being to afraid of making a mistake leads to him undercommitting to his usual aggressive approach, which leads to more mistakes.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
and people who maybe arent so stupid but who constantly publicly criticise players dont help. You can criticise them but feck me stop going on about how horrible they are because shit like this happens. @Howson1999 or whatever his account is has been brutal with him on Youtube
Agree but Maguire not fronting up after games for the post match interviews then when he does saying he didn't want to be doing them, cupping his ears after a pointless Albania goal, then playing shit in the next United game, saying that he must be doing something right to be starting for two managers...all the time being one of the worst players on the pitch has made him an easy target. Plus the fact that he is the club captain.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
That's the crazy thing. We spent 80m and got a player who's inferior to Smalling in defending, instead of upgrading. Ridiculous but it's typical from Man United I guess.
To be fair, when we wanted Harry Maguire, he was good.

There's quite a list of players who came to OT and became either average or diabolical.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Managers who keep playing him have to take responsibility for this mess. He's clearly rubbish. Literally every match he's awful, there's no doubt about that. Just because you're 80 million, it shouldn't matter.

He seems like a nice lad, he's acted a bit silly in interviews and celebrations etc but this is not his fault.

If you're going to play someone this awful in every match, there's going to be a bad reaction from teammates and fans. Just seen it looks like he's had a bomb threat (which is disgusting). If Ten Hag continues to play him, we won't improve. There's just too much negative baggage.

el3mel

To be fair, when we wanted Harry Maguire, he was good.

There's quite a list of players who came to OT and became either average or diabolical.
Maguire was never an 80m defender even in his best days.

MoskvaRed

Threatening to blow up Harry, his partner and their kids due to some indifferent performances at centre back for United perhaps displays a slight lack of perspective. But, he/she (and it’s a he, let’s face it) may be onto something and I would not be surprised if the Glazers have taken note. In an era where the the club’s raison d’être is to monetise everything under the sun rather than target anything as old-fashioned as winning trophies, and at the exactly the same time Netflix is struggling, it could be the perfect opportunity to produce content to restore the fortunes of two fallen giants - “United Squid Game” . Tug of war - watch the United squad’s feeble attempts to pull in one direction (one-handed while posting trite cliches about “gutted for the fans and we’ll put it right on the training ground next week”). Red light/green light - charge forward leaving a 20m gap behind you and it’s one less Yorkshire stopper. The game involving biscuits - goodbye to an English leftback. All while it gradually dawns on Erik that exchanging a relatively modest income at Ajax for this well-remunerated shitshow was not his best move.

Swerny

Poster originally known MS MSP
I thought this was a wind up but it's there pinned on his Twitter page.

I'm gonna put this up again:

The guy also said stopping Liverpool from getting the quad did not even come into his thinking before the game. Then he sends out Fernandes to do the post match.

The guy's deluded and clearly believes he is not the problem. The fecker has to go. No way should be captain a second longer. That is what's boiling my piss the most.
I agree.

Being shite on the pitch is one thing....being clueless and not accepting his portion of the blame is another.

"We understand that the performances have not been good enough most of the season, and I especially take responsibility for my own form that have not been up to the level I expect of myself" "We are beyond grateful to the matchgoing fans who support us through the many lows and wow to do everything we can to get back to where we need to be"

Say that Harry. Not whatever the hell you just said.
this as well. It's always DDG or anyone but him falling on their sword.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Maguire was never an 80m defender even in his best days.
I doubt if any player is worth these ridiculous amounts. Pogba has been nearly as useless - imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.