Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't hate him, he's a very good player when used right, you can see why Jose would want him. if the defence is deep he's excellent, if there's space in behind though he really struggles. He was much much better than this when Ole was player counter attack but we're defending 15/20 yards higher up the pitch on average.

I think he's on limited time, with all the pressure from fans I don't think anyone has ever came back from a situation like this? i'd love for him to shine under Ten Hag but if anything the way he wants his team to play is even worse for Maguire than currently.
Maguire would have been better in a deep line. Having said that you don't spend 80m in cash for a CB who can only be decent when the team play deep, they defend in numbers and there's little room for strikers to manoeuvre. Vidic, Rio and Stam didn't need that.

AdNani

Maguire would have been better in a deep line. Having said that you don't spend 80m in cash for a CB who can only be decent when the team play deep, they defend in numbers and there's little room for strikers to manoeuvre. Vidic, Rio and Stam didn't need that.
i agree, he's extremely limited, it's why he thrives with england as they have two sitting midfielders and 3 at the back and sit quite deep.

I think he'll get a year and if there's no improvement he'll be moved on

Sylar

Ouch. Days after saying managers will pick him cos he's not playing bad, then plays bad and is on the bench

Sylar

Or he’s not in the right place mentally given some knob made a bomb threat against him/his family during the week.

Which is pretty reasonable to be fair.
Would be odd to have him on the bench then. What if after a minute Varane gets injured and he has to come on?

Josh 76

The “English” press are reporting he has been given a day off after the bomb scare fiasco!

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Or he’s not in the right place mentally given some knob made a bomb threat against him/his family during the week.

Which is pretty reasonable to be fair.
Oh absolutely, completely understandable. I probably should’ve said ‘left out’. It does take him out of the firing line too for a bit, which I think will help him.

phelans shorts

Would be odd to have him on the bench then. What if after a minute Varane gets injured and he has to come on?
It wouldn’t be odd at all. Only midweek we had McTominay on the bench when he wasn’t capable of playing prolonged periods.

Unless you want us to bring Paul McShane onto the bench or something.

Sylar

It wouldn’t be odd at all. Only midweek we had McTominay on the bench when he wasn’t capable of playing prolonged periods.

Unless you want us to bring Paul McShane onto the bench or something.
But if he's not in the right place mentally why will starting on the bench and coming on improve that?

Playing prolonged periods is different when you're coming back from injury, surely you understand that?

Deery

Dreary
What a shit week Harry’s had, gotta feel for the guy a little..Trashed, Petition, Bomb Scare now Dropped

phelans shorts

But if he's not in the right place mentally why will starting on the bench and coming on improve that?

Playing prolonged periods is different when you're coming back from injury, surely you understand that?
They maybe made their assessment on him this morning. Things like what he’s been through effect people in different ways.

Putting McTominay on the bench (Hannibal played for 8 minutes in midfield, why was he ahead of McTominay) when he clearly wasn’t available highlights that we don’t have the squad to just leave somebody out despite being unavailable.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
So a bomb threat and not all the diabolically poor performances is what it takes to drop a player at this club? :lol: :annoyed: :eek:

We trully are fecked

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
7 errors leading to a shot, not a goal. Stats seem very low generally on that basis. Basically 1 in every 9 matches for Maguire. Matic at 1 in 6 is somewhat more surprising, given he isn’t even a defender!
Yeah, it’s only the worst in the league… They do have a very strict definition of a mistake as well as a requirement for the shot to happen directly after it. Matić stat is even worse though, granted (although it shouldn’t be surprising — he usually plays as an auxiliary defender in possession and had become quite careless with the ball).

devilish

i agree, he's extremely limited, it's why he thrives with england as they have two sitting midfielders and 3 at the back and sit quite deep.

I think he'll get a year and if there's no improvement he'll be moved on
We bought him for 80m and his salary would probably reflect that. If we don't sell him now then his stock will go down to a point when its not worth for him moving.

Sylar

They maybe made their assessment on him this morning. Things like what he’s been through effect people in different ways.

Putting McTominay on the bench (Hannibal played for 8 minutes in midfield, why was he ahead of McTominay) when he clearly wasn’t available highlights that we don’t have the squad to just leave somebody out despite being unavailable.
Oh I know l but youre equating the reasons for McT and Maguire being on the bench as if theyre equal. Surely you see its completely different. Somebody coming back from injury, sure can only play a certain period
But for a mental issue (which is what youre going with, and is probably right), if youre not in the right frame of mind, playing from the start, from minute 5 or minute 85 wont make much of a difference. If youre not in the right place mentally, 30 more minutes wont make a difference.

The number of players we have is not a good excuse cos thats just negligence from our management then.
And yes, you can easily put a youth player on the bench instead.
There isnt an excuse for having him on the bench unless hes actually ready but has just been dropped for tactical or team reasons.

Lee565

I actually feel sorry for the guy, he is not a bad egg in the dressing room, he creates no drama and acts like a model professional for the club, he is just not the right fit character wise to be captain, mentally in terms of that champions mentality or ability and physically wise as he restricts us tactically and was over priced at 80 million but none of that was his fault, he didn't put a gun to the head of those who recruited him and think think the hate for him from our fanbase has become too personal and too far with the recent bomb threat.

devilish

At BT they are talking about him as if he is the modern version of Oliver twist

phelans shorts

Oh I know l but youre equating the reasons for McT and Maguire being on the bench as if theyre equal. Surely you see its completely different. Somebody coming back from injury, sure can only play a certain period
But for a mental issue (which is what youre going with, and is probably right), if youre not in the right frame of mind, playing from the start, from minute 5 or minute 85 wont make much of a difference. If youre not in the right place mentally, 30 more minutes wont make a difference.

The number of players we have is not a good excuse cos thats just negligence from our management then.
And yes, you can easily put a youth player on the bench instead.
There isnt an excuse for having him on the bench unless hes actually ready but has just been dropped for tactical or team reasons.
Scott wasn’t available to play for 8 minutes, so it is pretty comparable. He just wasn’t available to play just like Harry presumably isn’t today (and he wasn’t in Gdańsk… where he was also on the bench).

48 hours out they may have seen signs that Harry would be fine, and this morning he hasn’t settled quite as they’d like so they don’t want to risk it. Not being ready isn’t binary.

It’s conjecture on all sides. Given our very recent history of having players on the bench who weren’t being considered (see Ralf’s comments about Hannibal and Garnacho from prior to the Norwich game) it’s not like being on the bench automatically makes you available and dropped for tactical reasons.

Sylar

Scott wasn’t available to play for 8 minutes, so it is pretty comparable. He just wasn’t available to play just like Harry presumably isn’t today (and he wasn’t in Gdańsk… where he was also on the bench).

48 hours out they may have seen signs that Harry would be fine, and this morning he hasn’t settled quite as they’d like so they don’t want to risk it. Not being ready isn’t binary.

It’s conjecture on all sides. Given our very recent history of having players on the bench who weren’t being considered (see Ralf’s comments about Hannibal and Garnacho from prior to the Norwich game) it’s not like being on the bench automatically makes you available and dropped for tactical reasons.
But again, youre making assumptions.
Ralf has said its been a tough week for Harry (without giving specifics) so its just very possible, with Varane available, that hes chosen to drop maguire to the bench after his performance against Liverpool and he thinks Lindelof / Varane will do better (less worse?).

But again, if youre throwing the mental aspect of it into this, I dont understand why you cant see the difference between not being mentally prepared vs not being physically prepared.
With the former, if youre not ready, it doesnt matter how many minutes you get.
With the latter, you can play a limited amount of time.

Dunk the Lunk

I actually feel sorry for the guy, he is not a bad egg in the dressing room, he creates no drama and acts like a model professional for the club, he is just not the right fit character wise to be captain, mentally in terms of that champions mentality or ability and physically wise as he restricts us tactically and was over priced at 80 million but none of that was his fault, he didn't put a gun to the head of those who recruited him and think think the hate for him from our fanbase has become too personal and too far with the recent bomb threat.
I don't rate Maguire at all and think if opportunity arises we should offload him but i also do feel a bit sorry for him. He's in a really bad spot atm and nothing seems to go his way.

Im not sure if its wise to "play him in to form", i think best would be to take a step back, regroup , wait for the storm to calm and go again next season (if he is still here). The pressure on him is enormous right now and i cant see him turning it around by playing him.

As for the, "its not his fault his price 80m". I see people write this a lot but has anyone actually said that? As far as i remember ive never seen anyone say, "its Maguires fault he cost 80m".

I'd be interested to read some of those posts if you'd like to share where you've read it!

If he is a good egg or not, i cant answer since i dont have access to the dressing room so i have to trust you on that one.
From your experience in the dressing room, who'd you say are the bad eggs?

phelans shorts

But again, youre making assumptions.
Ralf has said its been a tough week for Harry (without giving specifics) so its just very possible, with Varane available, that hes chosen to drop maguire to the bench after his performance against Liverpool and he thinks Lindelof / Varane will do better (less worse?).

But again, if youre throwing the mental aspect of it into this, I dont understand why you cant see the difference between not being mentally prepared vs not being physically prepared.
With the former, if youre not ready, it doesnt matter how many minutes you get.
With the latter, you can play a limited amount of time.
Did you even bother to read what I said? I gave a number of example of players who weren’t being considered available to play, at all, for a number of reasons, on the bench. You’re also ignoring that his mental state may have been deemed borderline so they aren’t risking it unless necessary

It is possible it’s a tactical call, hell part of the tactical call may be “his mind will be more prone to wandering given the circumstances of the bomb threat”, I never claimed that it wasn’t. I think the threat and the after affects are more of the reason than him being dropped.

I know as much as you or anybody else on this site. I know that if some dickhead made a bomb threat on my family I probably wouldn’t be focused properly for playing a big football match a few days later.

crossy1686

career ending
He's been dropped lads. Rangnick himself just confirmed it. Jeff Shreaves just asked him if he was given the game off due to the bomb scare and Ralf said "not just that reason"

hobbers

He's been dropped lads. Rangnick himself just confirmed it. Jeff Shreaves just asked him if he was given the game off due to the bomb scare and Ralf said "not just that reason"
Keown will blow a gasket hearing that.

Sylar

Did you even bother to read what I said? I gave a number of example of players who weren’t being considered available to play, at all, for a number of reasons, on the bench. You’re also ignoring that his mental state may have been deemed borderline so they aren’t risking it unless necessary

It is possible it’s a tactical call, hell part of the tactical call may be “his mind will be more prone to wandering given the circumstances of the bomb threat”, I never claimed that it wasn’t. I think the threat and the after affects are more of the reason than him being dropped.

I know as much as you or anybody else on this site. I know that if some dickhead made a bomb threat on my family I probably wouldn’t be focused properly for playing a big football match a few days later.
Yes exactly, and it goes back to the point, that its negligence from us to put him on the bench in that case.

I read your part, but again, youre still equating readiness of physical vs mental. Being on the bench means you can still be called upon at any time, and that can happen at any minute.So on top of that...

So again, as I said, theres nothing wrong with saying hes been dropped. There doesnt need to be mental gymnastics around it.

Woodenlung

We defend just as poorly no matter who the personnel are on the pitch.

That clearly points to massive structural issues within the side. Maguire has never been the real issue.

Sylar

We defend just as poorly no matter who the personnel are on the pitch.

That clearly points to massive structural issues within the side. Maguire has never been the real issue.
Thats fair, but hes been bad regardless. The issue he has is hes also captain and judging from his interview, it seems like he doesnt think hes doing too bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.