Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It’s best for all parties of Harry remains on the bench through the end of the season.
Agree, Maguire and Rashford especially need to be taken out of the firing line. Players like Pogba and Lingard shouldn't play as they're leaving (Mata and Matic I won't question their commitment) so there's 4 players who shouldn't play again this season

elnorte

Freaky fly day
We looked sooo much more solid without him against Arsenal, and conceded a mere 3 goals.
That shows how bad Maguire has been.

Or something.
For crying out loud. You're doing exactly what I just described above. Hardly anyone is behaving in the way you have made out. We were garbage on Saturday without Maguire and conceded three goals. Maguire when's he played this season has been garbage in his own right. It's not rocket science, just simple simple stuff.

Last edited:

PaulAlwaysScholesAGoal

We looked sooo much more solid without him against Arsenal, and conceded a mere 3 goals.
That shows how bad Maguire has been.

Or something.
Ill say it quite clearly. Maguire is not the problem with our defence, Telles, awb and Dalot are low standard, Baily is injury prone and Varane is off form. However unlike sevral of the aforementioned, Maguire is a huge problem not just on an individual performance level, hes a problem on how he negatively affects the way we can play thanks to his athletic limitations, as well as being virtually impossible to ofload thanks to his price tag. So he is by far United's biggest problem atm

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Has worse one v one tackling stats than Varane, Lindelof and Bailly via SmarterScout and The Athletic.

Maguire: 43
Varane: 58
Lindelof: 74
Bailly: 70

A long way off for Maguire, shows his ability as a one v one defender that he's the worst in the squad. He's better at open headers and set piece headers but who really plays with an incredible aerial striker?

Useless player and no wonder our scouts have been released.
You said "where you getting your stats?!"

It was in the first sentence of my post mate. I've bolded it to help you.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Apparently we haven't won any of the 6 PL games he's not started in this season. Hahahaha.

Maguire is a problem but clearly isn't THE problem.

BlueHaze

I will never in my life understand how he costed £80m. The more I think about it the more absurd it becomes. Something fundamentaly wrong when a club spends that amount on a player with such limited qualities. He's not been an upgrade on Lindelof and honestly I can't even say he's been an upgrade on Smalling.

Kostov

I will never in my life understand how he costed £80m. The more I think about it the more absurd it becomes. Something fundamentaly wrong when a club spends that amount on a player with such limited qualities. He's not been an upgrade on Lindelof and honestly I can't even say he's been an upgrade on Smalling.
He would have been a 15m bargain if we were not run by absolute morons back when leicester bought him. Instead they made him the biggest flop.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Only Fred has a higher points per game this season of our regular starters.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/leistungsdaten/verein/985/reldata/GB1&2021/plus/1
Very interesting isn't it? Didn't seem to defend any better without him at the weekend either did we?

In fact we've not won any of the 6 PL games he's missed.

I still think the fullbacks and the midfield are the biggest issue. The CB's would look better if those positions were sorted.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Very interesting isn't it? Didn't seem to defend any better without him at the weekend either did we?

In fact we've not won any of the 6 PL games he's missed.

I still think the fullbacks and the midfield are the biggest issue. The CB's would look better if those positions were sorted.
I agree. A DM is obvious but I really don't want to see Telles, Dalot or AWB starting for us next season.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So we're just supposed to take your word for it? Notice how I post a link to go along with the stats that I posted? It's called being credible to the stats that you claim. Your stats were pure BS...
You're free to look the stats up on the The Athletic article and via the stats site I posted. But cheers Harry, always appreciate you dropping by.

romufc

What that game shown us, its not Maguire's fault that we concede so many goals and look terrible at the back.

Its a shame Maguire didn't play because it kind of ruins the Maguire agenda that he is the reason we concede goals.

Keefy18

Why are folks using a single game vs Arsenal as some kind of justification that Maguire isn't the issue?

It's 90 mins of football in a season where we do not function as a team, where morale is at an all time low, the dressing room is toxic and the players are essentially on strike.

Did anyone seriously expect any kind of result?

Maguire not playing and us still losing is absolutely irrelevant, we were gonna lose anyway.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What that game shown us, its not Maguire's fault that we concede so many goals and look terrible at the back.

Its a shame Maguire didn't play because it kind of ruins the Maguire agenda that he is the reason we concede goals.
Yes because no one had accused Lindelof, Dalot, Telles, Matic, Bruno etc of being problems before right.

JeffFromHK

Why are folks using a single game vs Arsenal as some kind of justification that Maguire isn't the issue?

It's 90 mins of football in a season where we do not function as a team, where morale is at an all time low, the dressing room is toxic and the players are essentially on strike.

Did anyone seriously expect any kind of result?

Maguire not playing and us still losing is absolutely irrelevant, we were gonna lose anyway.
and actually in terms of performance, ours against Arsenal was one of the best in recent matches.

Offensively we had no problem transitioning from the back to the front thanks to the absence of Maguire, since Maguire usually hoards the ball for ages before making a pass which invites pressure from opponents. His aimless header clearances also help opponents to win the ball high up front or throw in/corners etc.

it was just a very unlucky game by us since we hit the post twice, missed a penalty, got 2 penalties denied, and ronaldo got his goal cancelled due to a nailtoe offside.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

What that game showed is that our most expensive defender and leader doesn't actually change anything, he doesn't impact the game.

romufc

What that game showed is that our most expensive defender and leader doesn't actually change anything, he doesn't impact the game.
Yes, it also shows that individual defensive ability is not the main problem in this team. You can put anyone as a CB but when you have open spaces infront of them, it doesnt matter, when players are able to run at our defence, easy passes and consistent individual errors has really cost us.

Our new managers first job has to be to get us organised in a shape that is hard to break down.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes, it also shows that individual defensive ability is not the main problem in this team. You can put anyone as a CB but when you have open spaces infront of them, it doesnt matter, when players are able to run at our defence, easy passes and consistent individual errors has really cost us.

Our new managers first job has to be to get us organised in a shape that is hard to break down.
I have said that from the beginning, the main issue when it comes to defense is collective. Maguire has flaws that are exposed by our setup and that's on the coaching staff, the same applies to several other players in particular our midfielders who have been asked to lean on their weaknesses which is to read and anticipate play when all of them are reactionary players. Now I do believe that Maguire weaknesses are a bad fit if you want to play high and wide, if you use a narrow and low block he is perfectly fine.

miked99

For all of Maguire's bad performances this season, we seem to do even worse without him.

You could put any centre back you care to think of in our backline and they'd look way worse. We've even managed to make Varane, who was good enough to be a mainstay of Real Madrid's backline for a decade and win four fecking champions leagues, look totally incompetent.

It's hard to gauge the true level of any one player in isolation when everything is so broken and everyone is playing so poorly.

Keefy18

and actually in terms of performance, ours against Arsenal was one of the best in recent matches.

Offensively we had no problem transitioning from the back to the front thanks to the absence of Maguire, since Maguire usually hoards the ball for ages before making a pass which invites pressure from opponents. His aimless header clearances also help opponents to win the ball high up front or throw in/corners etc.

it was just a very unlucky game by us since we hit the post twice, missed a penalty, got 2 penalties denied, and ronaldo got his goal cancelled due to a nailtoe offside.
It's just such a small sample, its the textbook knee jerk reactions from modern day supporters. They flip flop on their opinions from half to half never mind game to game.

We've been dreadful all season, Harry is simply a big part of that.

Last edited:

Vapor trail

Yes because no one had accused Lindelof, Dalot, Telles, Matic, Bruno etc of being problems before right.
With the exception of Bruno in good form none of those players are good enough for United to be a competitive outfit. It's hard to predict how Maguire will look in a possession orientated team, he has one decent quality bringing the ball out of the defensive line into the midfield which he does repeatedly well for England even though that feat is supported by a back three. But if he is still putting in poor performances under ETH his career I fathom at this club will be more or less over.

The foundation behind any team that wins consistently is a strong defence therefore the team should be built from back to front. Look at the difference for example with Liverpool and VVD before and after. When they sustained injury last season in this area the team imploded and lost balance despite having most outfield and forward player available throughout the majority of the season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Watching the team without him - I'm pretty sure personally that Maguire will be back to normal next season.

This team has no ability to control and attack a team without getting countered back.

Cassidy

With the exception of Bruno in good form none of those players are good enough for United to be a competitive outfit. It's hard to predict how Maguire will look in a possession orientated team, he has one decent quality bringing the ball out of the defensive line into the midfield which he does repeatedly well for England even though that feat is supported by a back three. But if he is still putting in poor performances under ETH his career I fathom at this club will be more or less over.

The foundation behind any team that wins consistently is a strong defence therefore the team should be built from back to front. Look at the difference for example with Liverpool and VVD before and after. When they sustained injury last season in this area the team imploded and lost balance despite having most outfield and forward player available throughout the majority of the season.
Maybe you missed the point of my post…
Bruno also is not good enough for a possession team by the way.

Cassidy

You would think that Maguire has actually played for a PL side that didn't concede a lot before the way some of you speak.

romufc

I have said that from the beginning, the main issue when it comes to defense is collective. Maguire has flaws that are exposed by our setup and that's on the coaching staff, the same applies to several other players in particular our midfielders who have been asked to lean on their weaknesses which is to read and anticipate play when all of them are reactionary players. Now I do believe that Maguire weaknesses are a bad fit if you want to play high and wide, if you use a narrow and low block he is perfectly fine.
I agree with this. In my opinion, Ralf has to take some blame because any coach should be able to get a team organised, good or bad players, we have seen plenty a manager that has taken rubbish teams and made them compact and difficult to beat and break down.

With Maguire, the way ETH would want to play will not suit him, the weaknesses in the way Ten Hag will want to play comes down the wide channels and we need someone with pace and decisiveness. Maguire gets exposed too often.

Lyng

So because our defence is equally bad with or without Maguire it means he is good enough? What kind of twisted logic is that?
Noone is arguing that Lindelöf, Telles, Dalot, AwB and maybe even Shaw and Varane arent good enough for us.
For some reason Maguire has a small group of hardcore groupies that cannot accept his flaws.
Yes Maguire works for England. So does Shaw.
But its a completely different system that suits Maguire much better. Low block, two dm's to cover for him. No intricate passing.
As soon as we tried to play progressively his weaknesses where clear as day to everyone.
And the same goes for a lot of our players.

Cassidy

I agree with this. In my opinion, Ralf has to take some blame because any coach should be able to get a team organised, good or bad players, we have seen plenty a manager that has taken rubbish teams and made them compact and difficult to beat and break down.

With Maguire, the way ETH would want to play will not suit him, the weaknesses in the way Ten Hag will want to play comes down the wide channels and we need someone with pace and decisiveness. Maguire gets exposed too often.
We do not want to play a low narrow block. Ralf wasn’t looking for just short term fixes

romufc

So because our defence is equally bad with or without Maguire it means he is good enough? What kind of twisted logic is that?
Noone is arguing that Lindelöf, Telles, Dalot, AwB and maybe even Shaw and Varane arent good enough for us.
For some reason Maguire has a small group of hardcore groupies that cannot accept his flaws.
Yes Maguire works for England. So does Shaw.
But its a completely different system that suits Maguire much better. Low block, two dm's to cover for him. No intricate passing.
As soon as we tried to play progressively his weaknesses where clear as day to everyone.
And the same goes for a lot of our players.
Why do you need to use my point to twist it to something I haven't said or implied? The point is Maguire is not the reason we concede loads of goals.

Its a collective effort. Our defensive shape is terrible.

Okay so England play a different system that works, agreed but can you also let me know what system we use?

We try a lock block, 2 Dm and no intricate passing as well.

So are you saying without Maguire we can progress play better? Why then have we not won any of the 6 games he hasn't played?

Lyng

Why do you need to use my point to twist it to something I haven't said or implied? The point is Maguire is not the reason we concede loads of goals.

Its a collective effort. Our defensive shape is terrible.

Okay so England play a different system that works, agreed but can you also let me know what system we use?

We try a lock block, 2 Dm and no intricate passing as well.

So are you saying without Maguire we can progress play better? Why then have we not won any of the 6 games he hasn't played?
No I am saying none of our defenders right now are good enough.

romufc

We do not want to play a low narrow block. Ralf wasn’t looking for just short term fixes
I know we dont, which is why I accept that if we want to play expansive, Maguire is not good enough.

Playing in a low block for me does not really show how good a CB is when they have other people holding the hands. However, this season we have looked very bad in a low block too, because none of our midfielders are doing their job.

Cassidy

I know we dont, which is why I accept that if we want to play expansive, Maguire is not good enough.

Playing in a low block for me does not really show how good a CB is when they have other people holding the hands. However, this season we have looked very bad in a low block too, because none of our midfielders are doing their job.
They are also not good enough, but I think we knew that years ago

Lyng

This is also true. Which pretty much sums up how dire our situation really is.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Maybe Im clutching at straws..... but seeing as how we are pretty much stuck with him hopefully a quality DM will stop him feeling the need to come barrelling out of defence every five minutes and leaving massive holes.

Cassidy

Maybe Im clutching at straws..... but seeing as how we are pretty much stuck with him hopefully a quality DM will stop him feeling the need to come barrelling out of defence every five minutes and leaving massive holes.
It's not a maybe. When you factor in the high wages he is on and the transfer fee, he is essentially the Pogba of the defence. Meaning he is completely the wrong profile of player to what we need, and the expectations we set for him far outweigh his actual ability (especially after making him captain and leader of the defensive line)

Lyng

If that was his only issue it would help. I fear the biggest issue with him in regards to a Ten Hag system is his passing which is never really on point, but almost always puts his teammates under pressure.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We played much better without him.

I think he's an instigator in the downing of tools.

You could see it clearly vs City where he was happy just aimlessly passing the ball around 0-2 down, scared of another drumming.

Status
Not open for further replies.